Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World - what do they do to their staff??

Options
  • 29-11-2006 8:25pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Well? 'cause they all seem like they're abused or have been forced into slavery or something. I didn't see any managers but if the staff are anything to go by they must carry around whips. I've avoided the place for ages as they are too expensive but sometimes I need something quick and can't wait for it to be delivered.

So I knew when I walked into the Liffey Valley branch today it was a mistake but I needed some inkjets badly and decided to pick up a few other things. I should have learned my lesson the last time when I had my (wrong) change practically thrown at me.

This time they tried to overcharge by 10 euro for one of the inkjets, when I told them they seemed confused and looked around for a few minutes before giving it to me at the correct price. I was on my way home when I noticed I'd been overcharged by 4 euro on something else. :mad: I've had this problem before, none of their prices correspond with what's on the shelf. And when you tell them they react badly.

Rudeness doesn't bother me that much but outright hostility and incompetence makes me want to organize a boycott. How do they do any business?? :confused:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

consider it a Dublin shop staff problem or maybe even only a west Dublin problem. I did not actually believe in the celtic tiger until the civil and personable staff all seemed to evaporate out of Dublins shops circa 1996 only to be replaced by gum chewing skangers instead.

PC World staff are perfectly civil and approachable in Galway and do not try to defend the indefensible.....in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Likewise in Waterford. The majority of the staff do actually know what they're talking about. But of course, you would have the few who struggle to interact with technology and only got the job because they may have had experience working in a clothes shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've said it before but I find it bewildering that PC-World are incapable of putting prices on the shelves.

Next time I'm going to keep bringing up items to the desk to ask the price and leave them there. I'd suggest everyone do that - then they might learn.

On top of that, they advertised some great sales in the papers around xmas a few years ago. Yet when I went into the shop there was no sign of any sale reductions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Trumps

PC World are the dregs. ! I had many experiences with them, most so bad that I ended up looking for their H.Office in UK and wrote them several emails about prices, staff, and even managers trying to Con the public into buying stuff wrongly labelled. ! Things like a Mac Mini with Intel Duo processor, which actually turned out to be an old model Mini. !!
    Eventually PC World told me to send my complaint to "Dixons" ! When I wrote back and asked why I should send a complaint about PC World to Dixons they did not reply. ! They are simply outrageous, and should be boycotted. I have never seen anything so bad in all my years of buying on all the continents in the world. Where is consumer protection. ? Do we not have any 'rights' ?
    I could fill this page with problems I experienced but will not bore you all ! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Trumps wrote:
    PC World are the dregs. ! I had many experiences with them, most so bad that I ended up looking for their H.Office in UK and wrote them several emails about prices, staff, and even managers trying to Con the public into buying stuff wrongly labelled. ! Things like a Mac Mini with Intel Duo processor, which actually turned out to be an old model Mini. !!
    Eventually PC World told me to send my complaint to "Dixons" ! When I wrote back and asked why I should send a complaint about PC World to Dixons they did not reply. ! They are simply outrageous, and should be boycotted. I have never seen anything so bad in all my years of buying on all the continents in the world. Where is consumer protection. ? Do we not have any 'rights' ?
    I could fill this page with problems I experienced but will not bore you all ! :)

Dixons own PC World thats why, yes they should told you this but don't assume their lying when they told you this without first looking into it atleast a little bit :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSG_International_plc

As for helping you, people will need to know the situation in order to help you :)

• Advertisement

Your undoubtedly right, and Dixons own it, but why did PC World not tell me this when I sent my first complaint. ? Also what about brand names. ? The PC World Magazine Logo and wording are exactly the same as the name and Logo on the PC World stores. ! Why is this allowed to continue. ? Seems suspicious to me. Why have Dixons not put their own name on the stores if they own them. ?
    Do they also own PC World Magazine. ?
    Anyway, I just thought members would like to know how bad they have been. No good writing everything that happened on here, nobody can do anything as PCW (Dixons) just don't care.. Just continue with shoddy service and outright scamming of customers !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Trumps wrote:
    Your undoubtedly right, and Dixons own it, but why did PC World not tell me this when I sent my first complaint. ? Also what about brand names. ? The PC World Magazine Logo and wording are exactly the same as the name and Logo on the PC World stores. ! Why is this allowed to continue. ? Seems suspicious to me. Why have Dixons not put their own name on the stores if they own them. ?
    Do they also own PC World Magazine. ?
    Anyway, I just thought members would like to know how bad they have been. No good writing everything that happened on here, nobody can do anything as PCW (Dixons) just don't care.. Just continue with shoddy service and outright scamming of customers !

Can't really comment on pcworld magazine, afaik its nothing to do with Dixons,

As for why PC World don't openly mention their part of the DSG Group, to be honest they don't have to, although I'd imagine it properly mentions DSG Group somewhere on something in the store (receipts perhaps?)

Its on their website http://www.pcworld.ie/aboutUs.aspx for all to see, in the end weather they are part of the Dixons group or not it doesn';t make a massive difference

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Trumps wrote:

The main reasons for poor service and/or staff:

1. What else can be expected of staff who are paid just above the minimum wage? Also most staff are hired on for their sales experience not their pc knowledge/expertise.

2. The training & support systems that they provide to staff are sub-standard at best, usual training consists of showing the health & safety videos and how to work the till system (most important for staff to take your money off of you:rolleyes:).

3. For the pricing, the staff have to rely on the computerised till system to be updated regularly, the marketing department regularly release new ads about new prices without informing the stores about changes, from when i worked in a PC world the manager had to go out and buy the usual papers looking for any new ads, so that the staff might have some warning on new offers or price changes.

4. also the system used for printing the new price labels was shoddy at best, meaning staff had to spend extra time making up labels, if they could even be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Get this.

Never been to PC World. Wanted some computer items so I decided to go for a browse.

Rang up a new branch near me. Won't say where to avoid their embarrassment.

Asked assistant to tell me where exactly they were located. She told me that she hadn't a clue where the shop in which she was then currently standing and working was located. This employee was an Irish native.

She knew exactly how to get to the shop from home and how to get home afterwards but couldn't tell me where the hell the shop was. I hope the shop never goes on fire and that she is the one who has to ring the fire brigade...:)

AnnaStezia wrote:
    Get this.

Never been to PC World. Wanted some computer items so I decided to go for a browse.

Rang up a new branch near me. Won't say where to avoid their embarrassment.

Asked assistant to tell me where exactly they were located. She told me that she hadn't a clue where the shop in which she was then currently standing and working was located. This employee was an Irish native.

She knew exactly how to get to the shop from home and how to get home afterwards but couldn't tell me where the hell the shop was. I hope the shop never goes on fire and that she is the one who has to ring the fire brigade...:)

Well said. ! They really are the dregs. !
    Why would you not name them ? Embarrass who ? :)

• Advertisement

daywalker wrote:
    The main reasons for poor service and/or staff:

1. What else can be expected of staff who are paid just above the minimum wage? Also most staff are hired on for their sales experience not their pc knowledge/expertise.

2. The training & support systems that they provide to staff are sub-standard at best, usual training consists of showing the health & safety videos and how to work the till system (most important for staff to take your money off of you:rolleyes:).

3. For the pricing, the staff have to rely on the computerised till system to be updated regularly, the marketing department regularly release new ads about new prices without informing the stores about changes, from when i worked in a PC world the manager had to go out and buy the usual papers looking for any new ads, so that the staff might have some warning on new offers or price changes.

4. also the system used for printing the new price labels was shoddy at best, meaning staff had to spend extra time making up labels, if they could even be bothered.

Talk about BT Ireland being bad, they seem to have nothing on PC World. !
    Why do these Coy's set up over here and then provide such shoddy service. ? Could it be that they know the Irish never complain. ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Galway branch is hit and miss. Some of them are great, some of them haven't a clue, some of them a combination of either with an ignorant attitude.

I particularly hate their attitude towards customer returns. They assume you haven't a clue like some of their floor staff and treat you like crap and try to wrangle their way out of everytime. As soon as it becomes obvious you know more about computers then they do, they practically become different people. Really annoys me. A computer illiterate average joe user who develops a minor fault with their PC purchased there is in for a nightmare in most cases. They'd nearly sooner tell you your plug socket was the problem then admit there's a fault they have to fix.

Same with the prices - not so bad in Galway now in fairness as some other branches but there are entire sections without correct pricing, and this isn't new stock, its stuff thats been there for ages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

HavoK wrote:

I particularly hate their attitude towards customer returns. They assume you haven't a clue like some of their floor staff and treat you like crap and try to wrangle their way out of everytime.

They know me well so they don't bother trying that anymore :) . TBH they are by no means the worst shop in Galway ( or in the chain) and are better in almost every way than the old CK 'superstore' back in the day .

Remember CK which then became Compustore and ph33r the past ??

Currys in Galway are also owned by Dixons , now thats a ****e shop with dismal staff if ever I saw one :(
    Same with the prices - not so bad in Galway now in fairness as some other branches but there are entire sections without correct pricing, and this isn't new stock, its stuff thats been there for ages.

Their video card selection and pricing is a howl (as is Maplins) but their selection and prices for printers and home networking gear is not 3 bad at all. Maplins is still better for some stuff if you get their brown box range which is cheaper than PC World. Maybe their close proximity to each other causes positive vibes .

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Next time I'm going to keep bringing up items to the desk to ask the price and leave them there. I'd suggest everyone do that - then they might learn

I've been doing that since they opened in Liffey Valley. Carrying handfuls of boxes to the cash till and asking for the price and explaining that legally they should have prices on them / the shells. It doesn't work :)

Advertisement