Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing Business Cards

Options
  • 29-11-2006 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please move it! :D

OK so I want to get a couple (maybe 200) business cards printed up. Nothing fancy. Now, I want to design it myself, and get them printed out by iSupply. Does anyone know what format I should have them in going into the printers? A .jpg, .doc, .pdf or what?

Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

If you can output "camera ready" go for it.
    Also 1200 dpi is required. 300dpi gives poor results.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If you can output "camera ready" go for it.
    Also 1200 dpi is required. 300dpi gives poor results.

OK a real thick moment here... Camera ready? That's just the quality if doing it as a jpg I presume? (Or anything for that matter?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

sending stuff to a printer can be a real pain in the arse.

I would recommend talking to whoever will be doing the printing and getting them to detail the exact specifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The only problem with Vistaprint is the paper weight of the cards they produce - 215g. Given that bog standard paper is 180g, you can imagine that their cards feel cheap and flimsy to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

The only problem with Vistaprint is the paper weight of the cards they produce - 215g. Given that bog standard paper is 180g, you can imagine that their cards feel cheap and flimsy to say the least.

Standard paper is more like 80/90g/m² So 190gm² is a reasonable business card material. Both from specs and from experience. Vistaprint are fine.

Cal.

I have used vistaprint in the past and they were fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Was looking at VistaPrint myself - from memory, they provide downloadable template for PhotoShop etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

have used vista print myself and qaulity is perfect as well as the paper weight , though i would advise getting the gloss finish as opposed to the matt if your going with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

fintan wrote:
    I have used vistaprint in the past and they were fine.

Yep, same here. Never any issues and the business cards turned out very well.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info guys. Don't have any pictures to print except a small logo in each corner... Will give vistaprint a good looking over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

300 dpi if your using images, use 1200 if you HAVE to used rasterized text, but really, you should aim to provide vector based artwork such as a pdf. Regarding stock, I'd never use less than 300gsm for business cards, anything less is flimsy unless laminated. Also, if providing artwork yourself, dont forget to include bleeds if they are necessary.

also, your quantity is a little limited, most likely for cost reasons you'll get them digitally printer instead of the superior lithographic, you may find it harder to source a printer that will do 300gsm or above on digital board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Metromary

You can get 250 free business cards from Vistaprint if you go via Pigsback. You just pay the postage. Got some and they're fine.

Metromary wrote:
    You can get 250 free business cards from Vistaprint if you go via Pigsback. You just pay the postage. Got some and they're fine.

Got a link?

You get 250 free anyway, no need for pigsback...

only thing with the free cards is that it has vista print name and logo on the back, not exactly professional! :)

fintan wrote:
    only thing with the free cards is that it has vista print name and logo on the back, not exactly professional! :)
    There's an option to pay something like £5 to have it removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i used this company before, the quality was AMAZING.
    http://www.eyecatchers.co.uk/

They have some amazing designs

Advertisement