Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the deal with Colm Meany?

• 29-11-2006 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Is he in every irish film ever made? I like him and all but come on. He was pretty good in interMission though

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

This is the deal with Colm Meaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Yes. He's in every Irish film. Ever. In fact, it's a law.
    He dresses up as other people; he has different stage names; and is known to play the female parts as well as male, often at the exact same time.
    Thank you for asking; a signed pair of Meany Knickers are on the way to you.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000538/ (Bio. Excluding some of the more risque works.)

If you'd like me to move this to, I dunnooo, the Film forum or Recycle Bin, or something - let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

"Risque" works, you say? :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah, I love Colm Meany, makes films better!
    Factola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

that is true

Star Trek though :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

Karoma wrote:
    He dresses up as other people; he has different stage names; and is known to play the female parts as well as male, often at the exact same time.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000538/ (Bio. Excluding some of the more risque works.)

If you'd like me to move this to, I dunnooo, the Film forum or Recycle Bin, or something - let me know.

i was being a teeny bit facetious.

You were being many things.
    Take the reply as it was intended. Tekkit!

PS: My offers stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

"Are you going to put this in your film, Gerry?"

Colm Meaney turns around and slaps them both across the face.

Best part in the entire movie....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Think every country with a small to medium sized film industry has one of those actors that pop up everywhere. See Gerard Depardieu

HavoK wrote:
    "Are you going to put this in your film, Gerry?"

Colm Meaney turns around and slaps them both across the face.

Best part in the entire movie....

:rofl:

i just watched The General and surprisngly enough, no Colm Meany

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    You were being many things.
    Take the reply as it was intended. Tekkit!

PS: My offers stand.

why does this place have so many forums?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Becasue there are so many posters and so many things to talk about.

Odd never saw mr meany in the quiet man, dancing at lungnash, circle of friends, the wind that shakes the barely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

pvt. joker wrote:

Brendan Gleeson!

And I don't think anyone has seen them in the same room together at the same time! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Collie D wrote:
    Think every country with a small to medium sized film industry has one of those actors that pop up everywhere. See Gerard Depardieu

Antonio Banderas
    Arnold schwarzenegger
    Mel Gibson
    J.C.Van Damme

Colm is great. Loved him in The Snapper.

Speaking of which ... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000367/
    wonderful profile photo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Irish Comedy movie = Colm meany Saying bollix
    Gritty Irish drama movie main character male = Brendan Gleeson being big & menacing & saying bollix
    Gritty Irish drama movie main character female = Ger Ryan doing her "whingey face"
    Everything else = Sean McGinley thanking Gleeson, Ryan & Meany for their cast offs

pvt. joker wrote:

He was in it. You just didn't look hard enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Brendan Gleeson!

And I don't think anyone has seen them in the same room together at the same time! ;)
    The Snapper blows that theory out of the water. The spend a lot of time talking in the film. He tells Meany that Burgess is the baby's father he might even have the line "It's you who has to buy the little feckin' tracksuits"

At least it is better than the Australian actors selection where they all seem to be about in TV series and films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

First Irish man in space thats the deal with Colm Meaney. Screw you Bill Cullen!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ah Meaney and Gleeson, two stalwarts of Irish cinema :) They really are the same person, like Ali G and Borat.

His real name is John McGillacuddy and he fishes off a trawler based in Killybegs, doing a bit of acting in the off-season as a back up for when the EU finally makes all fishing illegal :D

He created the Meany and Gleeson alter-egos to gain a better range of roles and this seems to have worked as pointed out by KingSize!

The appearance of Meany and Gleeson together in the Snapper is nothing more than clever camera-work and trickery, can't believe everyone has fallen for it for so long now.

Please note that apart from the first sentance, the rest of the post is pure "bo**ix"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

pvt. joker wrote:
    Is he in every irish film ever made? I like him and all but come on. He was pretty good in interMission though

I use to like him but i seen him on either the late late or turbidy a while back and he seems like a right stuck up cun--t now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I use to like him but i seen him on either the late late or turbidy a while back and he seems like a right stuck up cun--t now

He's an actor luvvie, what he's doing is art and art should always be taken seriously darling :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

r3nu4l wrote:
    He's an actor luvvie, what he's doing is art and art should always be taken seriously darling :D

Hes an artiste, as he said in Intermission (with an emphasis on the "teest" sound):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Posted by Thaedydal:
    Odd never saw mr meany in the quiet man, dancing at lungnash, circle of friends, the wind that shakes the barely.

Oh there had to be someone carrying Baby Colm through the streets somewhere in those movies! Roffles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭scion

lol @ Colm Meaney in a star trek uniform

Chief O'Brien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Whats the name of the guy who is in pretty much every Irish/English/Scottish movie and nearly every Irish TV drama I have seen [Maonlai maybe??] He's not really a bad actor or anything but he pisses me off to the last.. no idea why.

Edit: Its this fúcker Whats the fook is his name??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MOTHERTRUCKER

Whats in Colm Meaneys toilet?

The captains log. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

scion wrote:

Chief O'Brien

He doesn't like going to Star Trek conventions though I heard him say in an interview, I wonder why. :)

Scraggs, thats Sean McGinley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Scraggs wrote:
    Whats the name of the guy who is in pretty much every Irish/English/Scottish movie and nearly every Irish TV drama I have seen [Maonlai maybe??] He's not really a bad actor or anything but he pisses me off to the last.. no idea why.

he reminds me of aongus mcanally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Ruu wrote:
    He doesn't like going to Star Trek conventions though I heard him say in an interview, I wonder why. :)

Boo if he thinks he's above that. I thought he wasn't bad at reprazentin the Oirish in the 24th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

This is the deal with Colm Meaney

good auld Shey Muldoon and the chlan. you have got to love it.
    Colm Meaney= legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Collie D wrote:

Too true. I'm in Finland - population 5,000,000, almost the same as Ireland, small film industry, same actors in almost every film.

see...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0249020/

i see you're on a little hiatus from that other site :rofl:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

simu wrote:
    Boo if he thinks he's above that. I thought he wasn't bad at reprazentin the Oirish in the 24th century.
    Tis true!

It's his best role.
    Chief and Julain, ah, good times.
    I wonder what he got up to in the transporter room on the enterprise. All alone there.

Tis true!

It's his best role.
    Chief and Julain, ah, good times.
    I wonder what he got up to in the transporter room on the enterprise. All alone there.

probably rubbing one out to his memories of Andrea Corr (commitments and the boys and girl from county clare)

• Advertisement

F the six degrees of kevin bacon. you can probably do the 1 degree of colm meany.

pfft, all there is is Colm Meaney - the rest of us are just part of a holodeck program(me) he created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Scraggs wrote:

Check out no 4!
    Kingsize wrote:
    Irish Comedy movie = Colm meany Saying bollix
    Gritty Irish drama movie main character male = Brendan Gleeson being big & menacing & saying bollix
    Gritty Irish drama movie main character female = Ger Ryan doing her "whingey face"
    Everything else = Sean McGinley thanking Gleeson, Ryan & Meany for their cast offs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

scion wrote:

Chief O'Brien

You know, having seen Colm in the likes of 'The Snapper' and 'The Van' and stuff like that over the years, I was never really able to take him seriously anytime I saw him in 'Star Trek'. Anytime I saw him I just expected him to suddenly break into a thick, Dub accent and start coming out with stuff like:

Captain Picard: "Bridge to Engineering. How soon before we can get the warp engines back online?"

Chief O' Brien (Meaney): "Ah, will ya hold your horses, ya baldy auld bollix! I'm working as fast as I can!"

Picard: "Wh... what did you just say, Chief O' Brien?"

O' Brien: "I said, hold yore bleeding horses, baldy conscience, I'm working as f**kin' fast as I can, right! Jaysus, there's always something with you, isn't there, ya auld bollix! Here I am, up to me knackers in some sort of glowing, radioactive shíte, busting me balls trying to get things working again and all I hear outta youse is, "Get the engines back online, Chief O' Brien." "Fix the photon torpedo launchers, Chief O' Brien." "Transport us back up to the ship, Chief O' Brien". There's never any f**kin' rest with you, is there?"

Picard: "Well I never! Chief O' Brien, I have never heard such.... such.... debase language in all my life! How dare you refer to me, your Captain, in such terms. Now I command you to get those warp engines back online this instant! We're like sitting ducks here at the moment and there's a Romulan warbird outside with their weapons fully charged and pointed right at us demanding we surrender or they will blow us to pieces!"

O' Brien: "Well then....... tell them to go f**k themselves, boss!"

So then, am I the only one who used to wait for a scene like that to happen in 'Star Trek'? ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

scion wrote:

Chief O'Brien

the man with the big head and the small face,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Chief O'Brien, bringing sexy back?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It was last weeks late late show - he was the 'intruder' who called Kenny & Byrne an ársehole.
    Wonderful acting!

pvt. joker wrote:
    probably rubbing one out to his memories of Andrea Corr (commitments and the boys and girl from county clare)
    Don't be silly that's what the holodeck is for.
    Best invention that is not invented, ever.

i need a holodeck, stat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Karoma wrote:

Con Air [\shivers]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

scion wrote:

i'll never forget watching the first episode of DS9 and hearing him go "those bloody cardassians" in the same tone as taxi drivers would go on about foreign nationals!!

ahem, i am no longer a nerd tho.

Wasn't Colm Meany in The Quiet Man? He played the infant

Was he in F****d in Ireland? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

the man with the big head and the small face,
    Oh fug. I just lolled up a lung. =(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Posted by Tar Alderion:

Oh, you are SO right!
    Of course I'd be planting a web cam in there and blackmailing people and making millions. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement