Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS and IP Woes

Options
  • 29-11-2006 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone of you guys can help me with a problem ive been trying to figure out for ages.

I have a network setup as follows. At home I have an comp running a webserver and OpenVPN behind a router. I also have a laptop.

My webserver has the LAN IP 192.168.1.2 and the VPN IP of 10.8.0.1

My laptop has a LAN IP of 192.168.1.4 and a VPN IP of 10.8.0.6

In my C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\hosts file I added the line: 192.168.1.4 webserver. I would also like to have this name pointing to 10.8.0.6 when I'm away from home.

Is there a way to use the host name 'webserver' with both these ip's depending whether im on my LAN or using my VPN from another network.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You'll need to set up the hosts on the other machine for

10.8.0.6 webserver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

The first entry is the only one used in the hosts file... so multiple entries are pointless.

I'd suggest you put together a simple batch file for copying new hosts file over (or add this to your vpn startup script).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

why not just use an internal dns server?

Advertisement