Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Sim Aerial Combat PC Game Suggestions

Options
  • 29-11-2006 9:08pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I've been looking for a good ole flight combat game that effectively brain dead when it comes to extensive controls, Need for speed in space (or in the air or whatever).

My problem is this. I have a fancy sidewinder joystick that I hardly use, except for the helis etc in GTA that I'd really like to use more. I bought Combat Flight Sim 3 a few years back, and Flight Sim 2004, and they've quickly bored me to sleep. Now I'm an Aeronautical Engineer and I guess I don't want to have an aircraft simulator I just want to have a bit of mindless fun in my spare time.

So then I got X2: The Threat bundled with a new graphics card a while back and I thought that would be cool, and it was alright but apart from the odd bit of dogfighting I hated the game.

So what I'm looking for is a fun, fast 3D shoot 'em up that doesn't require me to request landing permission or remember to lock my landing gear or trade dilithium crystals with the Mining Guild etc.

I remember Rogue Squadron on the N64 (and GC) now that was fun. Maybe I need a console?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Freespace 2 is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Go with a console

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

The all round winner in this genre was Crimson skies for the pc , but it's an old game now and I haven't seen anything to replace it . Still drag it out and play it from time to time though .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Gaming funds are tight and I want to make use of the joystick I have for the PC.
    Downloading the freespace 2 demo now, I'll let you know how I get on.
    Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Freespace 2 was released as freeware last year I think. You can get the whole game. http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/arcade_action/games_f/freespace_2.html

• Advertisement

cheers Zillah

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Comanche 4 could be another one. Old now, but that means it'll be cheap. The graphics should be still fairly decent too. The controls are fairly simple even when set to their most simulationy. The flying itself quickly becomes second nature and then you can get on with the business of whizzing around blowing the crap out of everything. Great fun too when you get the hang of low flying (NOE) and sneak up on enemy bases, pop up from behind a hill, blow the crap out of everything and then dissapear before they know what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Comanche 4 was a lot of fun. Good suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Secret weapons over Normandy. Old. Cheap. Good.

Sounds good, I think Freespace 2 is the ideal space 'em up and Commanche etc sounds like a good choice for the low level sense of speed stuff you don't get with space combat.

The BF games are great fun too, its a shame the firewall where I'm living blocks online play.
    Just out of curiosity are there any new games that are like these or do they all try to force RPG elements on you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

5uspect wrote:
    Just out of curiosity are there any new games that are like these or do they all try to force RPG elements on you?

Not really, it's a dying genre (they just don't sell like Fifa week3 2007 does). I would love to see someone come along and take a fresh approach to it with the powerful machines available, but I doubt it will happen, not for a while anyway.

I could be wrong though, I have not followed the genre for a while after being continually disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

There are a few coming out all the time but they are very poor and made by low budget companies...I'd love a new version of Wing Commander or X-WING..
    Speaking of Which if you can get your hands on X-Wing Alliance that's a great game.
    Also il2 is pretty hardcore when you put all the settings on but you can change it to arcade too and is great fun for a mindless blast

i never got around to playing IL2, I must have a look in the bargin bin next time.
    I suppose we need some sort of movie tie in or something to get the bucks spent on such a game.
    I saw an xbox WWII arcade shooter somewhere recently, looked sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Ive gotten great use for my stick from the battlefield series if thats your cup of tea at all.

Speaking of freespace 2 anyone know if the BSG mod is out for that yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I enjoyed the space maps of Star Wars Battlefront II...

Nothing like pwning an X-Wing in your Tie Interceptor.
    "You rebel scum..."

yeah?! I've only played the first battlefront game (The BF games are great but online gaming not an option unfortunately). Thanks.

Advertisement