Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Install windows XP on external drive.

• 29-11-2006 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Problem: need to install XP on a laptop. DVD drive is broken and its a non standard type so DVD install is not an issue. BIOS dosen't support booting from USB. I have an external case for the laptop drive.

Anyone know a quick and easy way of preparing an external drive to install windows when it is put in a laptop. I know XP can be installed from the I386 folder but its getting the hard drive bootable to run setup.exe that is the probelm.

Any web sites/software advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What state is the laptop operating system wise?

Can you boot into it and see the external drive?

If you copy the entire Xp cd onto the external drive and install from the setup file, but click advanced and COPY ALL FILES DURING INSTALLION(important that bit)

kdjac

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fat32 partition you can make it bootable with dos / win9x boot disk
    copy over the i386 folder

when ya boots into dos prompt type in LOCK (to unlock the drive :rolleyes: ) and cd i386 and run setup/winnt from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

is it possible to do that with a ntfs drive?got a 40gb hdd and cannot format that to fat32 (at least from another computer using a usb2.0 cable)...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Spipov wrote:
    is it possible to do that with a ntfs drive?got a 40gb hdd and cannot format that to fat32 (at least from another computer using a usb2.0 cable)...
    Of course not, NTFS is a trade secret, and dos/win9x can't write to it so the first part of setup won't run.

you can use partimage on the knoppix boot cd to resize the partition to free up enough space to copy the needed files + something for the temporary files for the first boot, after which the winnt setup takes over and can then istall into the NTFS one

managed to format the hard disk with fat32 using partition magic. copied winxp cd onto it, and rebooted using a win98seboot disk. went into c:\ typed lock, went into i386, ran winnt.exe. it was copying files but at some point it just stopped working. is that usual? it was probably copying the files to c:\ itself, so im kinda stumped. do i create 2 partitions?

• Advertisement

ok.decided to install win2000. went back to one fat32 partition and put the win cd on c:\. booted from diskette then ran winnt.

installed files fine but when it restarted, it got stuck at

Setup is configuring hardware components, please wait...

thats it. doesnt move or do anything

is something wrong with the pc itself or just an issue with trying to get windows to install on the same drive it was in currently?

Advertisement