Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who do I report these con artists to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Have you tried the Department of Education and Science? That would be my first stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Consumer Affairs Office
    irish Internet registry
    DOE

S

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

BuffyBot wrote:
    Have you tried the Department of Education and Science? That would be my first stop.

TBH, they haven't done anything illegeal. Dishonest, yes, illegal, no.

I don't think the Dept. would be too bothered - they are in no way related.

It's just a case of caveat emptor, I'm afraid.

It reminds me of those adds on the TV for people who have had an accident at work - "Call the National Insurance Claim line" it sounds official, it looks official, and of course there will be a percentage who will be duped by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Funnily enough also...

If you look at the list of DLAC Accredited Course Providers, it has 4 web pages.

NCC - www.theopencollege.com - Contacts are Harry Walsh and Dave Reddy.
    NTA - www.nta.ie - Contacts are Sinead O'Connor and Dave Reddy.
    ITEC - www.irishtraining.ie - Contacts are Sinead O'Connor and Dave Reddy.
    OCDL - www.ocdl.ie - Contact is a Joe Walsh, but hosting company is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Zsuzso71

testicle wrote:
    Funnily enough also...

If you look at the list of DLAC Accredited Course Providers, it has 4 web pages.

NCC - www.theopencollege.com - Contacts are Harry Walsh and Dave Reddy.
    NTA - www.nta.ie - Contacts are Sinead O'Connor and Dave Reddy.
    ITEC - www.irishtraining.ie - Contacts are Sinead O'Connor and Dave Reddy.
    OCDL - www.ocdl.ie - Contact is a Joe Walsh, but hosting company is the same.

Well, I am so glad found this topic. I was thinking about a course by ITEC, but now.....I won't go there. :mad: Many thanks to you!!!!!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Tav

@nixmix

Did you report on them to anyone in the end?
    What happend?

Tav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Minitonka

I have been watching this organisation operating also for the last number of years and have copped on to the different names they use such as the National Training Authority (NTA), the Irish Training and Educational Centre (ITEC), the National College of Communications (NCC) and Open College for Direct Learning all "accredited" by the Distance Learning Accreditation Council which has absolutely nothing to do with the Department of Education, HETAC or FETAC or FAS or any other professional body. Strictly speaking, I suppose there is nothing to stop anybody offering a course in something. There is no law against it to the best of my knowledge. When people see the word "National" in the name of something, it is often assumed that it is approved by some government body. In this case, using the name the National Training Authority would make people think that it has something to do with FAS which is described on their own website (www.fas.ie) as being "Ireland's National Training and Employment Authority". When people see ITEC, most of them would automatically think of the International Examination Board in the UK which accredits many of the complementary, beauty and sport related courses. Full coloured page ads appear in some of the Sunday papers for a huge range of different courses from these organisations mentioned above and anyone considering taking any of them should think very carefully before they hand over their hard earned cash. It is very important that any distance learning course one does is accredited by either a recognised third level college, professional organisation or other recognised body otherwise it is not worth the paper it is written on. As a previous contributor said above "Buyer beware!"

Advertisement