Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for recommendations

Options
  • 29-11-2006 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm looking to buy a 4WD for work as a kayak instructor - pulling a trailer, driving sh1tty roads and tracks, crossing shallow rivers, takes a good deal of abuse. I've a budget of at most, two grand, preferably 1.5k. The biggest engine I'd buy is 2.5l, definitely diesel. It has to be a commercial, to keep insurance low. Currently I'm looking at a Land Rover 90/110, or a Jeep Cherokee, mid nineties.
    Can ye recommend any other cars that'd suit, or any to definitely stay away from? A pickup might be comsidered, like a Mitsubishi L200 if the price is right, but I'd sooner go for an enclosed back.

Any and all advice appreciated.
    Cheers, WP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

A farmer next to me has an old Land Cruiser (the 3dr commercial one, not the passenger vehicle) and it seems to be going strong for ages & ages. Other than that a Hilux might be OK as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Try that for size.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=545343

It's syncro (meaning 4WD) and most likely in far better shape than any "classic" 4x4 that you will find (if you find any at all) in or around your budget.

Plus plenty of room inside.

Otherwise I'd advise to up the budget if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

TomMc wrote:
    A farmer next to me has an old Land Cruiser (the 3dr commercial one, not the passenger vehicle) and it seems to be going strong for ages & ages. Other than that a Hilux might be OK as well.

I was looking at the Land Cruiser, but the three litre engine would be too expensive for me to run. The hilux could be an option if it has a bench seat instead of two seats. Cheers.
    That VW seems sweet, but I figure they'd be scarce, and expensive? I'd love to splash out for it, but insurance as it is will be taking up all my spare cash.

Anything else I should look for?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

Are you intending driving on the public roads? cause your budget is quite low,and you will be lucky to get anything NCTed/ DOEed and reliable for that amount.
    Sorry! just my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

wet-paint wrote:
    I was looking at the Land Cruiser, but the three litre engine would be too expensive for me to run. The hilux could be an option if it has a bench seat instead of two seats. Cheers.
    That VW seems sweet, but I figure they'd be scarce, and expensive? I'd love to splash out for it, but insurance as it is will be taking up all my spare cash.

Anything else I should look for?

Hilux is 2.4ltr or 3 ltr.

You won't pick up a hilux or a landcruiser for €2,000 on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Damn, my dad has me all convinced, after picking up a bargain on Ebay. €1500 for a '96 2.5 cherokee in perfect working order, so that's what I'm aiming for. Cheers.

Advertisement