Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to copy movies from PC to PSP?

• 29-11-2006 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies guys if this has been asked before and I'm sure it has.

I am going to download an odd film from Sky to the PC (if I can ever get through the registration process) and copy them to the kids PSP.

I have very limited knowledge on these matters but I do know that I will need a decent memory card. There is a USB cable with the console so what else do I need to have or need to do.

I might even attempt to copy a DVD but again Im not sure how to do this.

All advice would be most welcome and thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

muffler wrote:
    Apologies guys if this has been asked before and I'm sure it has.

I am going to download an odd film from Sky to the PC (if I can ever get through the registration process) and copy them to the kids PSP.

I have very limited knowledge on these matters but I do know that I will need a decent memory card. There is a USB cable with the console so what else do I need to have or need to do.

I might even attempt to copy a DVD but again Im not sure how to do this.

All advice would be most welcome and thanks

Unfortunately you won't be able to put any content from sky's download service on the psp as those files contain copy protection (DRM). They can only be played on the sky application or windows media player (must be at least version 10). You are also only given a certain amount of time to watch them before they are disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks wayne. Thats put an end to plan A so.

Now to plan B - How do you copy a DVD to the PSP?
    I am only assuming that you plug the PSP into the PC and insert the DVD but what needs done after that. Any recommendations on a memory card and place to buy it.

I know these are very basic questions but as I said I have little or no knowledge of these things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

muffler wrote:
    Thanks wayne. Thats put an end to plan A so.

Now to plan B - How do you copy a DVD to the PSP?
    I am only assuming that you plug the PSP into the PC and insert the DVD but what needs done after that. Any recommendations on a memory card and place to buy it.

I know these are very basic questions but as I said I have little or no knowledge of these things

It's a bit harder to do. You can buy software to help you but here's an article that shows you a free way to do it.

Edit: Never mind seems the link is inactive. Do a search for psp 9 which is the software you can buy to do it.

The biggest problem with this is that it's still illegal to rip dvds to a pc even though they are yours and you paid for them. Most dvds have protections on them as well preventing you from ripping them.
    So I think some of the software described in the article is no longer available due to pressure from film companies in the US. While these companies have no interest in going after the basic user who wants to do something like this, they have made it very difficult to get the tools to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Sure wouldn't it be better to watch them on a bigger screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sure wouldn't it be better to watch them on a bigger screen?
    Not if you're sitting in the back seat of a car on a long journey ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

muffler wrote:
    Not if you're sitting in the back seat of a car on a long journey ;)

It'd have to do for then :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

What is the best software is out there to buy that just copies the whole thing for you because its too complicated for me!?
    Where can I get it and how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's a bit harder to do. You can buy software to help you
    **** that. Get Super @ http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html (at the bottom).
    PSP converter Convert any input video format to a PSP file. Convert a PSP file to any other video format.
    The rendered PSP files are created using the most advanced video codecs H.264/AVC and MPEG-4 format.
    To copy a DVD (that you legally purchased) into a valid PSP format, we recommend that you also use the best
    available DVDDecrypter to decrypt the entire DVD and copy the VOB files to your HardDisk in order to encode
    them with SUPER ©. Note that DVDDecrypter is also a Freeware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

Search PSP Video 9 on google and download it. Then find the file you want to put on your psp. Transcode it then copy to your PSP. Its pretty fast and easy to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭damiennolan

My recommendation -

Dump the DVD using DVD Decrypter.
    Have a look for an application called ImToo DVD to MP4 Convertor.
    This is my favourite mp4 ripper as it will convert to psp and ipod with the correct formats and ratios!

Also it includes a built in application called PSP manager which will transfer your converted files to your psp and create the correct file names and tree structures (which can be troublesome to create manually).

I've yet to find a really good app that will allow me to select screens from the ripped movie and create the thumbnails files though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

i find total video converter very good. even gives the proper directory structure and naming conventions when outputted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Yeah but is there a software package that does the whole thing in one go! Tried the ripping and all that but never got the hang of it, I just want one where i can put in my dvd, select it and press a button and have it come out in the right form for my PSP!!!!

Thanks

Advertisement