Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submersible Pump for Well

Options
  • 29-11-2006 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

We have a well drilled 240ft for our water supply in a new house. We have been given conflicting information on which pump we require by different companies. Some say a 1 hp pump will definitely be ok and there is absolutely no need for anything stronger. Another company is saying a 1.5 hp pump is a must.

The well is immediately adjacent to the garage where the water softener will be and about 10 m from the house. There seems to be plenty of water in the well and we will be having a pressurised system in the house.

This should be a fairly straightforward query but getting a straightforward answer is difficult.

Comments would be very appreciated from anybody who may have some knowledge. Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I am not a plummer but I would feel 1hp would be more than enough
    have a 0.75 hp pump pumping drinking water all around my farm for 90 dairy cows during summer which would use a lot more water than a family home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ddea

Thanks for that. You can always rely on the dairy farmers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

I’m not a plumber or a farmer but take a look at page 4 of the following pump selector from Gould

http://www.goulds.com/pdf/B5-25GS%201%20.pdf

If you are running a water softener this will have an effect on the pressure but the guy installing the pressurised water supply with probably allow for that and prime your storage vessel to run at (guessing here) 3 bar.

As a consumer of water all your worried about is the pressure at the tap or the shower and here is my reading of the chart

¾ hp sub pump from 240 ft will give up 6 gpm max at 3 bar. 6 gpm (US calc of 3.5 ltr per gallon used) therefore 6 gpm (not taking into account the drop caused by water treatment) will give you give or take 20 litres per minute at the tap. Some people run showers up to 12 litres per minute.

If there was only max 200 euro in the difference between ¾ and 1 HP I would go for the 1 HP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Also a more powerful pump will not have to work as hard and as long as it is maintained and serviced should also last longer than the bare mininum

Advertisement