Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Vodafone Unlimited Data Bundle"???

• 29-11-2006 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Right, what exactly is the situation as it stands right now with this offer?
    I know of one unfortunate guy who got terminated and owes a fortune and another who got outta their contract with no penalty.

Flip sides of the same coin.

Now i'd like to know how exactly is this possible, such discrimination between two customers using the same service in the same fashion... unlimited usage??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

5gb fair usuage policy basically. which i cant see anyone exceeding this unless your using the connection as a voip or constantly downloading movies and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No one on boards.ie has the answer to that question.
    Why don't you put your enquirey to the company in writing and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Thaedydal wrote:
    No one on boards.ie has the answer to that question.

Is it not inappropriate for a moderator to basically speak on behalf of everyone here on boards? Is this not a discussion forum ... yanno ... for discussion?
    Why don't you put your enquirey to the company in writing and see what they say.

Contrary to the above statement, the limitation is 5GB. However this limitation is set internally of Vodafone and is not advised to customer's on signing up nor in the terms and conditions on the website. It is being advertised as unlimited in the same fashion that broadband services from Eircom and the likes are advertised yet Eircom have an advertised 30GB download cap. Vodafone as I have said numerous times are false advertising this service.

If they are terminating contracts of those that exceed this non advertised cap then they should not be seeking termination charges. It is their own fault for advertising and marketing this incorrectly and the consumer should not be penalized. The consumer is simply using the service in a manner that she or he signed up for - unlimited data bundle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

After becoming concerned about this as a Vodafone customer, I called them and asked for clarification. They insisted that there is no cap.

I agree with telefunktastik: if there is a cap, it is their own fault for marketing the service incorrectly, and they should not charge any termination charges, though it is up to them if they want to accept someone's money or not.

So for example, let's assume there is a 5GB cap. I sign up for the service marketed as unlimited, and I download about 6GB a month. They can stop taking my money and tell me they don't want my business anymore, but they cannot charge me an early termination charge as it is their fault, not mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I completely agree Urban Weigl and Telefunktastik. It does seem very misleading and definitely the onus is on the network to act in a way that is fair to all involved. I cannot think how in any way shape or form that charging a customer for "excessive" use and termination charges, based upon false advertising, would make customers want to sign up to their network.

It's no wonder Vodafone sent a solictors letter to boards closing down the previous thread on this topic. Cease and desist should be their new company slogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

When I got this ,the sales guy in the shop told me that there was a limit of 5GB, as within the terms of the fair use policy. I was not stated in the form but he told that this was the figure. I would like it to be doubled as I am sharing it with some one ,as it is the only option for the net outside of dial up. Finding it not bad ,but have had some trouble with it not responding some times,then other times it is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Vodafone are full of it; anything to get a sale. They'd say you could use your phone forever, for free, as log as you want... if you'd buy the latest handset off them ;)

Has anyone tried go into a store and ask for help? "Yes, an upgrade is what you need" the sales assistant will say to you. Your original request? "What time is the store opened until tonight"?

Anyway, this whole Unlimited issue should (hopefully) be wrapping up soon, with a possible resolution in the next few weeks. In the meantime, take a look at what happens when you make a point to the mods on Boards.ie. Anyone wonder where the long running "Unlimited Free Vodafone to Vodafone Calls for Life - Marketing Scam" thread went? Wonder no more!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055023902

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The 5GB figure came from the T&C on the website in the day before and a few days after the launch of the product. After those few days, they removed any reference to a specific figure.

Whatever it is, it's not unlimited. IMO it's false advertising, but then they would probably argue that the product is aimed at those who would go nowhere near the 5GB (or any other internally-decided figure), so to all intents and purposes it is unlimited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

When this first came I out I complained to the ASAI advertising standards that the words 'unlimited' and 'fair useage policy applies' were not compatible (7th July). I gave them a detailed case, citing the T&C (you will excluded for exceeding fair usage) and highlighting when and where Vodafone refered to this product as unlimited. Got a response on 27th July 2006 saying they would investigate and let me know as soon as possible. Still no follow up to date.

After reading this I have send another mail to the ASAI asking for information on what action they have taken regarding my claim. I basically said if they have done nothing I won't be happy and will complain the person dealing with my case and the ASAI for not acting on it or letting me know why they arn't acting on it. It really annoys me that companys can be so dishonest - if serivce has a fair useage policy it cannot be unilimited - blatent lies! lets see if the ASAI get back to me. I suspect they just ignore complaints unless you keep on at them or have some pull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

wingnut wrote:
    When this first came I out I complained to the ASAI advertising standards that the words 'unlimited' and 'fair useage policy applies' were not compatible (7th July). I gave them a detailed case, citing the T&C (you will excluded for exceeding fair usage) and highlighting when and where Vodafone refered to this product as unlimited. Got a response on 27th July 2006 saying they would investigate and let me know as soon as possible. Still no follow up to date.

After reading this I have send another mail to the ASAI asking for information on what action they have taken regarding my claim. I basically said if they have done nothing I won't be happy and will complain the person dealing with my case and the ASAI for not acting on it or letting me know why they arn't acting on it. It really annoys me that companys can be so dishonest - if serivce has a fair useage policy it cannot be unilimited - blatent lies! lets see if the ASAI get back to me. I suspect they just ignore complaints unless you keep on at them or have some pull.

Maybe they just don't think it's a worthy case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Perhaps, if somewhat irrelevant. My point is they should have let me know one way or the other. If they were not pursing it they should have sent me an email to that effect. Do you think it is acceptable to make a decision one way or the other and not inform the complainant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

How can you get 5Gb on month on this connection... Just checked my log and im up to 1mb this month (used it once so far this month never have the need to use it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

How can you get 5Gb on month on this connection... Just checked my log and im up to 1mb this month (used it once so far this month never have the need to use it)
    just notice the vodafone website now mentions a 5gb cap....about bloody time, comreg must got on to them!

linky:http://www.vodafone.ie/generic/3gbroadband.jsp?bannerdesc=home_image_P_3g_broadband_100107

(bottom of page)

OMG..ITS MAC FRIENDLY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you're on the existing unlimited plan for €48.99, you can migrate to the 5GB plan, which is €39.99. At least that's what they say in the terms and conditions.

I think I will stay with unlimited data for €9 extra a month for now, though.

It looks like 3 is losing out here: same price, but only 3GB instead of 5GB of data, and you're limited to an old style PC card. Though they do have somewhat better coverage, Vodafone already has HSDPA rolled out across the country, whereas 3 won't have until some time in February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ns06

The ASAI completed their investigation of this situation one week ago. The results were that whilst Vodafone could advertise something termed as Unlimited it must have the appropriate fair use policies and terms and conditions. In this case it was found that details concerning these offers breached advertising standards as there was a concern about the lack of information available corresponding to the fair use policies and the terms and conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do meteor not say at the end of their "free meteor - meteor texts for life" offer that its subject to a fair usage policy aswell, also without giving an actual figure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

I contacted Meteor some weeks ago regarding their Acceptable Usage Policy.

The AUP exists in Meteor to prevent abuse of their offer in illegal circumstances (i.e reseller situations). It does not exist to prevent a customer from using the service as much as they wish once it's legal (i.e. calling one person to another for as long as they wish). This is the distinct difference between Meteor's policies and Vodafone's policies. Vodafone do wish to restrict customer's usage regardless if it is illegal or legal. They offer a service which they are not willing to honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ns06

Advertisement