Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress code

Options
  • 30-11-2006 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Moving to Cork from the UK next week, but I need some info on what the dress code is for say working in a call center (tech support, travel industry, etc)? Since I am moving from the UK it's ( sometimes suit) a tie for the guys normally and just dressing smart for the ladies, but Ireland has???

If it's a loose kind of thing, then just what is allowed; ie Levis etc.

TY in advance !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

SoundProof wrote:
    Moving to Cork from the UK next week, but I need some info on what the dress code is for say working in a call center (tech support, travel industry, etc)? Since I am moving from the UK it's ( sometimes suit) a tie for the guys normally and just dressing smart for the ladies, but Ireland has???

If it's a loose kind of thing, then just what is allowed; ie Levis etc.

TY in advance !!!

In this situation the dress code would appear to be specific to the company that you work for.

However, in general what I have seen is a whole lot of people in button down shirts and levis. I dont work, so I may be totally the wrong person to answer this, I am just making an observation of what I see on the street. I have seen everything from aparently homeless people to full suits though, and everything in between on the street, so it really depends.

A general rule of thumb is the more you interface with customers, the higher profile the clientelle is, the better dressed you must be for work (that appears to be more than just cork). The more they hide you away in the corner, and the less chance of a customer walking into the building you are in, even if you are hidden in the corner, the more casual the dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

As this will vary from employer to employer, your best bet is to just ask HR. Most of the techie centres I have worked on have been fairly casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I'd go with check with HR. Yes, most Call Centres seem to be quite casual - but better to be safe than sorry. J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Our company has a call centre in Limerick & they have a casual dress code. Jeans & shirt/rubgy/polo/normal seems fine. Althoug I'd say for your first day maybe play it safe with a shirt & pants. I would stop short on GA & soccer jerseys though.
    The callcentre in Siemens/Starwood/RCI seems to have a similar dress code.

Again I recommend calling the HR department, they'll tell you the policy. No harm to make a good impression on the first dey either. I think the tie or suit mgith be a bit far.
    Good luck with the move. Cork has come on a good bit in recent years as a city. Some would say that the pub/club scene has waned, but then they ar eall getting old (as am I!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 SoundProof

Thanks for all of your help.

Not much time left now :) or should it be :( , with so much left still to do on my end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement