Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No place for a newbie

Options
  • 30-11-2006 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to play my first game of Battlefield last night in a net cafe. Have heard all about it.
    Hold your points, move along and kill. Great. Well, not so much for me.
    Both sides looked pretty similar and I had two friendly kills in the heat of the moment. Getting shot at, look around and some guy is firing at me (well I thought it was at me).
    10mins later poor old Rabies gets booted for excessive team killing.
    Don't think it was a ranked game I was playing in either.

Is this common place in games? Because I was in a net cafe and time is money, didn't have too much time to spend practicing a one player game. Guess I should have.

So really, my question is. Do you guys that play online a good bit hate it when a newbie joind a game and screws it all up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Simular situation to you last nite Rabies. Same server prehaps? Anyway I got the game a good while ago and never really got a chance to play it to much. Got a bit of time on my hands last night so fired it up. I know I'm cannon fodder at the minute but to be honest after 10 minutes of insults and 1 team kill later I just gave up and went to bed. back to solitare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

pretty much yeah.

the best thing you can do is look at the list of squads, find one thats almost full (4 or 5 people) join it, spawn on the squad leader and just emulate him. its very easy to pick things up if you watch what your squad mates do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

What pissed me off the most was I think it was a permanent ban. Bit over the top for a newbie.

None of the net cafes have Quake or UT anymore. It is all CS, Battlefield and WOW.

I miss Quake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Ah man just stick with it. Try and join a 16 player server as they tend to be less intense.

Its annoying if you get Tk'd but it happens and even the best still TK.

One word of advice though. Do not try to fly the choppers until you have practiced with them in single player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 749

Stick with. It takes time especially on servers running big teams. I got booted once for a team kill 'cause I crashed a helicopter while trying to avoid getting shot down. Unfortunately the chopter was full :eek:

Join a squad, unfortunately there are too many lone wolves out there. If your SL and SM's are half decent you'll stay alive longer. Follow the SL like a puppy dog unless he's a Sniper (which IMHO is a bad role for an SL) in which case he'll try to avoid you like a smelly p00. If he is a sniper get down low quick when you respawn on him (Z key) and move away quickly so as not to give his position away.

Try starting as Support or Anti-tank you've got decent armour and up can stand off the fight a bit. Medic is good but its more healing and self defence, armour is weak. Assault is fine but its hard to get points as they only way to score is by killing enemy soldiers. Don't be tempted to go Special Ops/Engineer initially as this takes a bit more skill and as for Sniper that takes a long long time to get really good at.

• Advertisement

Yeah have to say I do like the game so I'll have to give it another shot. I presume there's newbie servers out there or I'll try the smaller maps. Just followed the bro (GFF>>lister1) into one last night and recognised a few of the names. Choppers are the least of my worries and I prefer the infantry more. Some of the maps just don't suit me probably cause of my lack of skillz. :) I can manage the likes of Karkand but throw me into the more open maps and I'm history. Getting a lot of lag last nite even though I'd a good ping which didnt help. Have to see if I can optimise it a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Dingatron wrote:
    Have to see if I can optimise it a bit better.

Here ya go http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_1.html

Thanks for that. Need to get some more memory too. BF2 is some memory hog. Used up 900+mb last nite and I've only 768mb so I reckon that was attributing to my lag.

Rabies wrote:
    What pissed me off the most was I think it was a permanent ban. Bit over the top for a newbie.

None of the net cafes have Quake or UT anymore. It is all CS, Battlefield and WOW.

I miss Quake :(

its very rarely a permanent ban, mot servers will give you a 1 minute or end of map ban, to stop you instantly rejoining. it deters people who join just to TK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Kicking for 2 team kills isnt nice, you may have been kicked to make room for someone else and excessive tkin was a valid excuse for that, in fairness though new players can get on your nerves sometimes, as i recall myself screming at various squads for doing dumbass things, but we all have to start somewhere i guess. :D

• Advertisement

Dent, I stay away from all vehicles. Don't want to run over anyone and get banned again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

Dont worry about teamkilling,we all do it,just the longer you play the less it happens.tho u still get the odd silly ones for instance .......
    just last night when i was in my jeep when i seen a soldier in the distance,i swear it was an enemy so i turned towards him evil frowned and hit the turbo,before i noticed the blue name it was to late,i went over him like a rabbit on a motorway .got punished aswell :(

anyone want to help me get my crew service ribbon tonight? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 749

Which servers do you guys play-on. Don't know if I have the time/dedication/skill to join a full-on clan, but it would be good to play with a few Irish guys on casual basis.

Don't what ones I was playing on, picked one that wasn't full, made sure it didn't say it was ranked. Then jumped right in. Then got booted right out :(

Prob try it again sometime tomorrow. Nearly time for bed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I'm not the only one then!! Only got BF2 yesterday, got a new pc recently and am picking upgames I always wanted to play but didn't have the CPU power to.

Holy Sh1t - I think cannon fodder is the best description, tip toe around quietly looking for some baddies, bang respawn in 10, 9.......
    New respawn point, different weapon bang, respawn in ..... etc.
    you get the point.

Probably a stupid question but are there any non Special forces skilled servers for those of us that may not be experts yet? Or is it just a case of playing single player for a few months?

Is their a tutorial or practice level with the game? I looked and couldn't see one last night?

Also - On a slightly seperate note, I have a Creative X-FI extreme music, the audio option for Creative X-Fi is visible but when I try and select it i'm told hardware not found - Is that because it's not the X-Fi Extreme Gamer card?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

I dont mind jumping onto a server with you guys, or better still playing with a few of you on a locked server so you can pick up the ropes. Let me know and I'll sort something out for ya's.

tig.bf2|fairy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

I always feel awful playin because Im so useless!!! I'm a total noob, but I just love playing it!!! So please bear with me! I'm just a girl!!!

:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The Queen wrote:
    I always feel awful playin because Im so useless!!! I'm a total noob, but I just love playing it!!! So please bear with me! I'm just a girl!!!

:p

I'm afraid you don't get any sympathy for that round here :(

Just stick with it, join squads, read forums, learn what works for you, and hopefully find the servers where people notice your rank, see it as an 'L' plate and smile and sigh with nostalgia, and help you out.

Advertisement