Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer Rights - Taking Back something you dont like...

Options
  • 30-11-2006 3:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi everyone. Hope i have the right group and have come to the right place.

Does anyone know (in a very easy to understand way for a thicko
    like me to understand) how I would stand with this i.e. what right have I got as a consumer.

The story goes like this.

Last week I got a Lexsor 27" Widescreen LCD TV from Currys at 649.00 Euro. I was pretty happy with it when I first got it out of the box except now after
    a week of having it I am starting to not like a couple of things. Some
    things are just niggly and stupid reasons (I don't like the remote) and
    others are just the silly design manufacturing features (picture seems
    'jerky' in places) and bad speaker sound and just a couple of other niggly
    things which most probably would not bother other people but it bothers me.
    I would say I am happy with it but about 80 percent not fully. Now seeing as
    the cost of it (the 649.00 is a lot of money to me, to some others its most
    probably not a lot) and seeing as I plan to have this TV a very long time I
    would like to be more than 80 percent happy with it.

Today I go into Currys sister store, PC World just up the road, and see a
    Polaroid 26" LCD TV for the same price 649.00 Euro and they only seem to
    have just got that in. Its not for sale in Currys. I like the remote control
    better I like the onscreen display better it has better sound and looks
    better made than the Lexsor in places and more of thought gone into the
    design and working of the TV. Had I seen that one last week I would have
    ended up buying that one I reckon!

I know they are both 2 very obscure brands (well Polariod have been well
    known name for years but for instant cameras! not TV's) but I cannot afford
    the likes of Samsung Sony or Philips or LG (which is a shame).

How do I stand now as a consumer having just bought this Lexsor set and
    having it for just over a week on taking it back? - or have I not a leg to
    stand on and its my tough luck and that is the way life goes and that's just
    what happens. I can tell what I think and that is I have no chance of taking
    it back and getting a refund unless there is an actual fault with the Lexsor
    and even then they will most probably say they would have to send it off for
    repair or something.

You can never fully try these things out properly in the shops (as it was
    when I was trying it out the staff were giving me piercing looks!) and so
    you get it home and try it out and if it is not to your liking what can you
    do? - I mean I still think I have a right to be happy with it seeing as I am
    going to use it for years to come. If I am a bit unhappy with things for
    just having it over a week how am I going to feel later on?

So how does things stand if you have something for a while and decide you
    are not 100 percent happy with it? - has the consumers got any rights to
    take it back? - anyone very up on these kind of things and have been in the
    same situation as me? - have they successfully taken something back and got
    a refund OK from Currys after having it for over a week? Love to hear about
    it.

Please don't point me to these complicated consumer law websites because I
    don't understand all the jargon. I am just looking for a simple yes or no or
    maybe or what conditions a place has to take something back for a refund or
    if they have to give some kind of cooling off period by law. I paid by
    credit card if that has any baring on things I don't know whether that has
    any effect or not?

Cheers for advice.

Andy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Unless the product is faulty or it is not what it was advertised as then you have no right to a refund.

Some stores offer a no-questions refund for a certain amount of time but this usually only applies if the product is unopened and re-saleable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah, you can only get a refund if there is a fault, not if you change your mind.
    http://www.odca.ie
    thats for the office of the director of consumer affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

You could always try them but they're under no obligation to give you your money back.

Check any reciepts or other materials you got from the store to see if they have a returns policy.

You might get lucky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭andyr

Thanks for the replies folks. - I bet thats it then I am stuck. Its my own fault I know I should have looked more into it. You can only check items so much in the shop though. Its when you get it home and have a long play with these things do you know whether you are going to like /get on with these products though. - Shame there isn't no 'cooling off periods' on any of this stuff so that if you try it out but return it all back in its original packaging as it was and pick something else but i suppose no firm is going to offer that.

Years ago the big UK catalogues used to give 14 days and would take stuff back (not TV's I don't think though) even if it was opened and 'tried out' .

cheers anyway for the replies I will just have to bite the bullet! - next time I should not jump in with both feet and make the same mistake again. Impulse buying eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

Whenever you are ready to to plop down a large amount of cash on something, always do your homework by researching all the pros and cons of the thing you are going to buy. Check out reviews. Ponder on the specs. Ask around for any bad experiences with that particular product etc. If you are just going to go into a shop and buy something coz it looks good to you, you will end up regretting your decision.

And the sales staff giving you piercing looks for checking out the equipment? Well that's your right. You have to find out if this is the stuff you really want. They should actually be grateful that you are interested in their product enough to want to check it thoroughly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

andyr wrote:

Years ago the big UK catalogues used to give 14 days and would take stuff back (not TV's I don't think though) even if it was opened and 'tried out' .

Argos offer this service if i remember correctly.....seem to remember reading about some guy who kinda lived his electrical life by having a different tv every 27 days..... all free of course, because in the end he just asked for his money back, free hire purchase.....:D

oleras wrote:
    Argos offer this service if i remember correctly.....seem to remember reading about some guy who kinda lived his electrical life by having a different tv every 27 days..... all free of course, because in the end he just asked for his money back, free hire purchase.....:D

After a while of coming across someone who repeatedly buys stuff and sends it back would they not cop on and ban a person like this from their stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

andyr wrote:
    After a while of coming across someone who repeatedly buys stuff and sends it back would they not cop on and ban a person like this from their stores?

Why? they offer a 28 day unconditional money back policy. your just playing the game afterall......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

From PC World (sister company of currys)

19. If you change your mind we may take goods back at our discretion if they are unopened, unused and in perfect condition. There will be a handling charge of 15% of the purchase price or €30 (whichever is greater) plus a collection charge of €10 for this service.

If you still have all the box & packaging and can put everything back in an "as new" condition, you may get the manager on a good day and have him agree to a product swap.

Best option is to approach without the goods and ask if there was a possibility to swap the set you have for a different set. Let him / her know that it is in the original packaging and that when you brought it home someone recommended a different set that is stocked in Currys - i'd say 80% chance of getting a swap. - Go early in the week when they are quiet.

Well the latest is that I have emailed the DSG customer services department and told them of my predicament. I was honest and told them that I felt I couldn't try it out fully in the shop and its only having a real good go at the TV at home for a while that I have found some things I am not personally happy with and have asked for an exchange and asked if they had a 28day refund/exchange policy or not.

The answer more than likely could be no but I mean it does not hurt to try and there is 2 ways it can go.

Will let you know how I get on and the reply. Of course its only because of paying 649.00 Euro for the thing is that I am pushing it. If it were something that I had bought for 10 or 20 Euro and I wasn't happy with it I would most probably put up with it and just get on with it.

Start taking bets now everyone: will I get a 'yes you can exchange it' or a 'no you cannot exchange it' ?

Andy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement