Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was he for real?

Options
  • 30-11-2006 5:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I was walking through Dublin city today with a friend and was approached by a decent looking guy who was well mannered and said something along the lines of:

"Howya doing, sorry to bother you, but I don't suppose you'd be able to help me out. I'm trying to make up 9.50 for a hostel"

he seemed genuine from the word go and I was having a feel in my pocket for some loose change and he continued talking, saying he's not a drug abuser and that he doesn't even drink that he just needed money for a hostel for the night.

I only had a twenty note so told him to walk with us and I'd go get some change from it, I asked how did he get into this situation and he said he was homeless and said he had been since he was 13 and that he was 26 now. He talked a bit about the amount of homeless people in Ireland and all for a bit. He was also saying about how an organisation did a deal with some hostels which usually charge €17 a night, that they would only charge €9.50 for some homeless people.

We came to a shop which happened to be a cafe, so I asked did he want some food too, which he politely declined saying he'd already eaten. I went into the shop but was told they were closed so went to look for another one, went to one about 50 metres away and asked again if he wanted anything, he said no I'm fine for me to get some chewingum or something, I asked did he want water and he said no thanks it's too cold to be drinking water. I went in and saw bananas so went back out and asked did he want one and he said yeah. I got 2 bananas and from the change of 20 I kept 5 and gave him the rest and the bananas. He was very grateful and seemed pleased. Wished us merry Christmas and we went our separate ways.

This guy seemed very genuine and my friend agreed. He didn't look like he was a drug or alcohol user and seemed like a nice guy who may have just had an unlucky turn of events.

Anyway, my friend and I went for coffee and sat outside. We were approached by another homeless person, who looked a lot worse for wear than the other. I don't doubt she was homeless, she asked for some change for a cup of coffee, we had a bit of change on the table to pay for our bill and gave her €1.50 or so and I said I don't have any more that I gave €15 to another homeless person. When she heard this, she asked was it for a hostel and I said yeah and then she started saying about there being free hostels for homeless people. She then asked for a bit more change for the bus (?) and we said no that we needed it for our bill, she then asked what did we get that there's only 2 coffees there (there was about €9 on the table) as if to say there's more than enough there, but a waiter already took away a plate from a crepe my friend had which we told her and then she said ok and went off.

Saw her about 5 mins later come back asking other people across the road then.

So her talk about the free hostels is what got me thinking. I know there is free accommodation around, but I'm thinking that this guy seemed genuine and I'm 99% sure he isn't a drug or alcohol user. So I'm thinking that he may be afraid to use the free accommodation because maybe a lot of drug abusers and people who could be dangerous use them (as well as other harmless people of course) but maybe this guy would just prefer to use the little money he has for just somewhere a bit more welcoming and less threatening than spending it on booze or drugs.

At first I didn't even think he was homeless. He looked healthy, although he had a very husky voice. I was going to give him about €3 but when he started telling me he was homeless, I wanted to make sure he had enough to get somewhere for the night and have a bit for tomorrow night too.

I know there'll probably be a few sceptics here so what do you folk think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Nope, met this guy three times before and he had a different story each time. Was it the vicinity of George's Street by any chance? Or mention the Avalon Hostel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH, seems this incident is associated with Dublin City and these lovely folks might be able to shed some light on who these characters are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

don't suppose he had a kinda english/australian accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ah Ruuuuuuu I knew you'd do that:p It was a general opinion, not to catch the perpetrator I was after;) Can you throw it back please? :)

Anyway, it was on South William Street, which is parallel to Grafton St., I'm not sure where in relation to George's Street that is though. I can't recall any mention of that hotel and he was 100% Irish.

He was about 26 as he said, maybe about 5 foot, think he had a goatee of some sort (that could be totally wrong, I can't really remember), brown hair and was a little chubby too.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

i came across a guy with a similar story near busarus, saying there was a hostel near by and he needed some money for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Have lived worked around Grafton street area for 5 or more years and I have heard that Hostel story 20 times. I once got asked by a couple with a buggy and a child inside for money for a hostel. However it was 11 at night and I know Hostels that house homeless people are full by 10 at night normally. To be honest I always give a guy or girl asking for money for a hostel a couple of euro. Its nothing to me and even if they are spending it on crack cocaine thats not my business. Once they have it in their hand its their money and they can do with it what they will. If you think about it its essentially a sales job. If the guy is reeking and menacing then you just tell him to get lost. If the guy looks like he has a tenous grip on reality then who is gonna turn down a chance for him to be comfortable for the night. I once saw an old man about 75 lying on the pavement outside a pub on Georges Street. Felt so sorry (it was cold and raining) that I gave him 20 old Irish pounds. I never saw a guy get up so fast and straight into the pub. Never even said thanks. That guy was a lost case. Your guy maybe not so - who knows.

Well I could tell this guy was clean and if he didn't spend it on a hostel, then I don't think he would have been buying any drugs or drink with it.

I suppose you hear the hostel story a lot because really, it's not unlikely that they do want to stay over night in a hostel as opposed to out on the street for the night.

So unless he took the money and drove home to a nice house somewhere in Dublin, I think it went to the right cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Some homeless people try to avoid the free hostels as they can be pretty rough and there's the danger of being beaten up. So he could be genuinely trying to get money together for a paying hostel.

The guy with the English accent is a bit different - I've been approached by him a couple of times and he always has the same story about just losing his bags and passport etc. Gave him money the first time, the second time I told him he'd used the same story on me before.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking about the free vs paying hostels. He seemed like a harmless young guy and I didn't feel one bit uneasy when talking to him or when he waited outside the shop with my friend when I went in. I even feel pretty bad that I had to question the situation:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

10 marks like you a day and that's 50 grand a year tax free. And plenty of fresh air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

wyndham wrote:
    10 marks like you a day and that's 50 grand a year tax free. And plenty of fresh air.
    Heh, thats one way of thinking about it. Getting 10 people like that in one day would also be relatively easy in a busy area.

Generally I'm quite generous when it comes to homeless people, especially around this time of year. I hate walking around on these cold days, let alone sleeping out through them so try and give a bit more so they can get hot food/whatever.
    Though, around the Grafton Street area, I generally avoid giving those who approach me looking for money anything. If they're sitting around with a cup or something, I'll throw them a couple of euro but I don't like being approached for it.
    I've had one guy come up and spin his story about being homeless and needing a hostel, that he didn't drink or do drugs or anything etc. so theres me thinking "the poor guy" and all so hand him a few euro (€5 or so iirc) and he says thanks. Then whips out a spliff (and it was a spliff, not a rolly, three skins and he lit it up so the smell was obviously recognisable...on the top of Grafton Street I might add)and asks us do we want to smoke it with him! I got so angry I couldn't find the words to express it so I just walked off fuming and vowing not to give these guys a cent in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

i met this guy too infront of busarus bus station
    what a lier <i gave him money but when i did a re cap of what he told me it all didnt add up !>

don't suppose he had a kinda english/australian accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'll buy someone food, i'll give them a blanket, I will NOT give them cash/fags/booze

Yeah I know what you mean, I'd like to think it went to a hostel.

I usually don't give cash either, I saw what appeared to be a homeless man outside a shop once and went out to ask him if he wanted a sandwich or anything but he said no thanks.

Advertisement