Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windy vents

Options
  • 30-11-2006 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

i have a problem with the vents in my house - we are in an exposed location and sometimes it gets very windy - the room vents end up giving way to terrible drafts - there is also a similar but worse problem with the cooker hood - i have tried the flaps that go on the outside but they flaped all the time with gusts and only made a racket - can anyone help me - the main problem is actually the cooker vent and i'm wondering if piping that upwards ( opening horizontal ) would at least stop the direct wind gusts getting in ... maybe ?? i was also considering putting foam rubber or something like that in the vents - ie something that would stop wind but allow a small amount of ventilation or something.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I think piping the cooker vent upwards will let rain in, the flaps are not sealing.

What about installing those vents which can be opened/shut on the inside face ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

swap the cooker flap for the ones that have a 90 bend with flaps inside...should stop and direct draughts...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get some high density fibreglass about 20mm thick and fit it behind the vent , it will slow the wind but still allow ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

CJhaughey wrote:
    Get some high density fibreglass about 20mm thick and fit it behind the vent , it will slow the wind but still allow ventilation.

Was thinking of doing this but i am a little concerned that the increased resistance in the outlet might cause the motor in the hood to overheat a little bit, for instance the outlet hole is significantly smaller at 4 inches than what the manufacterer recomended (6 inch) but the installer told me he thought 6 inches was far too big.
    Mainly I just dont want to burn out the motor or start a fire.

Sorry I meant that for the wall vents.
    For the cooker hood, what type of roof do you have? slate, tile?
    Is it accessible from below?
    could you fit a roof vent or a soffit vent pointing down?
    I have roof vents x2 for my cooker hood and they are just like little black mushrooms, they have no moving parts so cant rattle.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote:
    Sorry I meant that for the wall vents.
    For the cooker hood, what type of roof do you have? slate, tile?
    Is it accessible from below?
    could you fit a roof vent or a soffit vent pointing down?
    I have roof vents x2 for my cooker hood and they are just like little black mushrooms, they have no moving parts so cant rattle.

yes - that sounds like and idea - we have a tile roof and i could send some kind of a pipe up through the ceiling and into the attic and out through the tiles

do you ever get wind blowing down ??
    do you know what type of business i could get to install them - builder - fire shop - plumber etc. ??

I have a tiled roof as well, Lafarge mini-stonewold.
    The builders providers that carries your tiles should be able to get them for you.
    No I never have had wind blow down them the design is such that it is easier for wind to go round them then down them, I would recommend fitting 2 as one will usually choke the extractor.
    A roofer should be able to fit them easily.And if you are any way handy it is a simple matter to run aluminium duct down to the extractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

I am having a similar problem with an extractor vent atm, these high winds are causing a hugh breeze to blow in through the extractor, even when its on, is there any thing i can do to stop it, would the fibreglass trick work for an extractor. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭zacharius

CJhaughey wrote:

Any idea where you'd get this? Ive the same problem and sounds like a simple solution...

I don't know where to get it in Ireland, mine was called Gullfiber and came from Sweden, maybe the thinnest type of fibreglass?
    I wouldn't use this for an extractor as it would impede flow too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

We built recently and put in special Ventaxia vents. Insulated vents that close also when temp drop to minuses. Not cheap. Brilliant though. Boy are we glad with the strong winds we are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You could just use some of that Oven Hood filter stuff....

actually i am beginning to worry about using fiberglass in a vent - i was in my attic the other day for a while without a mask and later i had irritation in my throat from the fibers - after that i wouldnt use it in a vent because the wind from outside might blow a few fibers in - and a few is all it takes - however im sure there's a couple of alternatives

We built recently and put in special Ventaxia vents. Insulated vents that close also when temp drop to minuses. Not cheap. Brilliant though. Boy are we glad with the strong winds we are having.

do you remember which one you got - there's tons of them on their website

http://www.vent-axia.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

thetourist wrote:
    do you remember which one you got - there's tons of them on their website

http://www.vent-axia.com/
    Hi tourist,

Fresh Vent Thermo DB REf 45/3253
    They are excellent.
    We got them from UK by phone order....phone Alan 044 (0)7770836503...very helpful chap. Ventaxia do not sell online. They have an agent in Dublin but they are very unhelpful and very expensive. Even with the stg differential and paying Interlink courier it was several hundreds cheaper.

Any other queries, don't hesitate to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I have a similar problem and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do - it's a new house & the windows are pvc and have the vents built into them. When it's windy (which is every day at the moment), the wind makes this annoying 'whistling/vibrating' noise as it blows against my bedroom window which is the most exposed room. I have tried closing the little flap on the inside, but it makes no difference - it's like as if it's the wind blowing through the holes on the outside that is causing the problem? It's particularly annoying at night and when it really gets to me, I just move into one of the rooms at the other side of the house. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or found a solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

chuckles30 wrote:
    I have a similar problem and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do - it's a new house & the windows are pvc and have the vents built into them. When it's windy (which is every day at the moment), the wind makes this annoying 'whistling/vibrating' noise as it blows against my bedroom window which is the most exposed room. I have tried closing the little flap on the inside, but it makes no difference - it's like as if it's the wind blowing through the holes on the outside that is causing the problem? It's particularly annoying at night and when it really gets to me, I just move into one of the rooms at the other side of the house. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or found a solution?

The outside vent holes should be covered with clip in caps. Most window installers 'forget' to fit them, for whatever reason. If you contact a PVC windows company I'm sure they'll sell/ give you some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Stadium do various vents and are widely available ,

Extractor devicehttp://www.stadium-ventilation.co.uk/vents/Vent_DOM4_.htm

Standard non draft ventilation http://www.stadium-ventilation.co.uk/vents/Vent_Bkhole1_.htm
    The only thing about the standard non draft one is that it's not recommended in a room that has an open gas appliance ,non room sealed gas appliance.

Hope this was of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

I had same problem with the PVC window vents the gaps are too big, sod it I just put masking tape over them as its beige and unoticable.
    They do have the Clip on covers too but just too much noise and draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Hi, my house is suffering from quite a bit of draft and heat loss through the ventilation. basically its the standard sqare hole of a size of a block.

I was considering putting 125 mm2 pipe into the hole, seal it around the outer cover and use a standard louvred vent terminal on the inside. I was thinking about using some expanding foam to fill the space around.

Then I found some building req stuff on the net where it says 6500 mm2 vent opening is required for habitable rooms.. plus the repid vention option of the window - WHY???

Back in Germany none of the houses I lived in had vents in every room, not to mention those huge, cold and drafty black holes...

Also I had a look at this non-draft black hole vent posted below - any idea whether you can buy those in Ireland?

And last but not least, what would you recomment as a mesh to prevent insects to get into the ventilation... (in one of the rooms - which had the vent blocked off on the inside - I discoved an abandoned Wasp nest... )

TIA
    WD

• Advertisement
Advertisement