Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Cameras At Laghey

• 30-11-2006 6:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

I see they have set up cameras in Security style housing at either end of the road works between Laghey and Ballyshannon.There definately are cameras inside but I wonder if these have speed measuring ability. It seems like currently on the Letterkenny Dual Carraigeway the cones are gonna be on much longer than needed and in a much longer area than needed at any given time. Whilst I wouldn't condone putting workers on the road at risk the long stretch of 50km per hour is a bit much and most speed up it seems between cameras.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭galway008

Actually they are for counting vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Well the head of traffic crop in South Donegal said there was spped cameras there. Thats interesting to know as I thought councils used strips on the road attached to boxes to count traffic. Hope it is a counting measure though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There are cameras in the middle fo the roadworks too, attached to a pole. Some seem to think these are just fake and used as deterrents, though I'm not gonna personally risk it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

I take it very easy pat Laghey anyway, as I always see cops there anyway. Maybe I'm just misfortunate:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Thats interesting to know as I thought councils used strips on the road attached to boxes to count traffic. Hope it is a counting measure though.

I always thoughts that the strips after a speed camera where used to pinpoint your speed.

But the laghey straight was always a nightmare for speeding. Got my first speeding ticket in donegal town just at the school as enter from the ballyshannon side. (Long before the town was bypassed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

byte wrote:
    There are cameras in the middle fo the roadworks too, attached to a pole. Some seem to think these are just fake and used as deterrents, though I'm not gonna personally risk it. :)

Must be wireless cameras as I didn't see any cables attached to them, even stopped and had a closer look ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,195 ✭✭✭✭muffler

icom wrote:
    Must be wireless cameras as I didn't see any cables attached to them, even stopped and had a closer look ! :)
    Now they have your photo as well as one of the car :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

muffler wrote:
    Now they have your photo as well as one of the car :D

Not quite Muffler, was out on a training run on my bike and I put on my sunglasses just in case!
    Took them off again once I passed the roadworks as it was a pretty dull day.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Fair play to you icom for doing some footwork on that..... with the sungalsses you may have been mistaken for Laghey Vice

The Head of Traffic Corp was definatley on Radio and in the press to talk about a fixed camera on the road there with speed facilities.

Now I notice that the cones and speed zone goes on for ages. Mostly to facilitate a few guys putting in crash barriers.. All very well but most of the road hasn't been lined yet. Would it not be a good time to do all these things at once so it gets back to normal or do the sub contractors still believe that the council do things a*seways.

Imagine the field day students could have with all those cones after a night out, particlularly when they could be assured of the safety of a speed restricted area. I say hire the whole place for rag week!! with icom as security too...with a suitably reflective jacket of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SOLID-SLUG,

Has anyone out there had a fine in the post yet, relating to the CCTV cameras in Laghey? Since they went up i ve past them aprox, 20 times, at well more than 50km an hr, so if they are real my driving day"s are limited, from my experience wth speed cameras, they need to have lines painted on road and a flash fitted to camera, and wth the more modern one"s a sensor and infared type device fitted to it, i am not saying to people to speed, jst dnt worry? about these one"s, it"s the Big Bear 250 yard"s down the road you have to watch out for, safe driving.
    P.S. BE CARE FULL IN THE NORTH TIS WEATHER, I GOT DONE IN BALLNALECK A FEW MONTHS AGO, £100 stg and COURT, NO POINTS.
    SOLID SLUG.

• Advertisement
    byte

Some of the locals think they're fake, though I'm not sure. I personally don't take any chances, and use the backroad (the old main road) between Ballintra and Laghey instead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

byte wrote: »
    Some of the locals think they're fake, though I'm not sure. I personally don't take any chances, and use the backroad (the old main road) between Ballintra and Laghey instead :)

Wow - does this not take longer than just keeping within the speed limit on the main road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Decadent

My cousin lives in Ballintra says these things have been gone for ages - they were introduced following half the country getting let off for speeding at Inver when a new reduced speed limit for roadworks wasn't legal.

As a result the knee jerk reaction is to impose and strictly enforce lower speed limits through roadworks.

The fix speed camera at Ballintra that has been there for a while is empty but will have a camera in it soon as 600 are rolled out across the country by a companty contracted by the gardai

Decadent wrote: »
    ...half the country getting let off for speeding at Inver when a new reduced speed limit for roadworks wasn't legal.

I don't know that the reduced speed limit at Inver wasn't legal - as far as I recall Mary Coughlan decided to use her weight to have the summonses thrown out as part of her reelection strategy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Decadent

The speed limit had been reduced because of the poor surface and signs had been erected stating that.

However, as is the case now, the council had not gone through the right channels to reflect that in law. IE on paper the speed limit was still at its original level.

byte

The speed limit had been reduced because of the poor surface and signs had been erected stating that.

However, as is the case now, the council had not gone through the right channels to reflect that in law. IE on paper the speed limit was still at its original level.
    Yeah, I had heard something similar alright. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in one of the local papers.

As for the Ballintra cameras, indeed they're gone more or less since the roadworks finished. At least I don't notice them.
    This thread is nearly a year old, so info somewhat dated now.

And, at the time the limit was in place, I did find the back road (old main road) quicker. At least it felt that way :)

However, as is the case now, the council had not gone through the right channels to reflect that in law.

Amazingly, it was Coughlan who discovered and acted on this alleged illegality, during a reelection campaign. I smell a rat. :D

Advertisement