Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site-Wide Announcement Vs Multiple Stickies

Options
  • 30-11-2006 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Can more than one site-wide announcement be displayed at one time, Such as the SSF current announcement ?

If it is possible would it not make more sense to display the M/C/D prohibition as an announcement rather than have it displayed as a sticky on every forum? The wording would be standardized and under direct admin control and could be easily modified if required.

I just mention this as I feel the number of stickies per forum is making individual forums a bit harder to read. This forum for instance has 10 stickies, more than most I'll admit but some forums feel as if they are full of stickies. I think this diminishes the effect they are supposed to have. Perhaps there is a case for each forum's stickies to be reviewed / updated and possibly streamlined into 1 or 2 stickies per forum such as "Charter Sticky" and "Forum Notices Sticky".

Not a complaint, just an observation / suggestion.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I appreciate that the clutter is annoying, but we gave some specific thought to the method of spreading that particular message and the method we used seemed like the best available to us. For obvious reasons, that's the message we're least likely to compromise on right now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Google loves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Experience has shown that people tend not ignore announcements even more than they ignore stickies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Announcements also get overridden by later announcements. If the legal item had been made a permanent site-wide announcement, then it would disappear for a while, every time another announcement was made. At least if the thread is stickied, we can constantly point to "It's at the top of the bloody forum", i.e. there's no excuse for not knowing.

Advertisement