Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting when its windy

Options
  • 30-11-2006 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi all
    Was out last night after foxs seen two!!! tought last night would have been perfect night for it. Dark breezy but only seen two walked for mles:eek:

friend of mine had .223 remi:) and i had the remi 220swift
    noticed a big diference on shots past 200yds the wind was playing havoc with the .223 with the swift it was hardly noticeable. we were both using 55gr federal matchking bthp.

some muzzle flash from a swift at night we were out in the middle of a field so nowhere to rest the rifle had to use my mates shoulder!! he now has a suntan from the muzzle flash and deaf from the boom:eek: a for the fox :D

good night dough pity there were not more foxs about:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

TomBeckett wrote:
    some muzzle flash from a swift at night we were out in the middle of a field so nowhere to rest the rifle had to use my mates shoulder!! he now has a suntan from the muzzle flash and deaf from the boom:eek: a for the fox :D

I'm not normally one to criticise but I think it extremely unwise to have done so. I know someone with severe hearing loss & tinnitus as a result of environmental conditions (noisy factory over several years) & it's not a very nice condition. His life is, in many aspects, ruined.

Certainly not worth it in pursuit of a fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

kramer do you hunt at all?

When a shot at a fox presents itself like that and you can take it you use what you can. Although id invest in a pair of shooting sticks as they're alot easier to use

Yes, I hunt & have no problem with improvising. However, using someone's shoulder as a rest is reckless. That would place his head maybe 12" from the muzzle - hence his burns & hearing loss :eek: .

Added to the fact it was dark & windy........

So much for the safe handling of firearms :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Kramer wrote:
    Yes, I hunt & have no problem with improvising. However, using someone's shoulder as a rest is reckless. That would place his head maybe 12" from the muzzle - hence his burns & hearing loss :eek: .

Added to the fact it was dark & windy........

So much for the safe handling of firearms :rolleyes: .

You obviously know everything and have a vast knowlage of shooting in the field tell me how would you improvise in a situation like that then?

as for being dark and windy i do own the land and know where i am firing it was into a good back stop. and i knew where my round was going to end up!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Gotta say Tom, wouldn't be something I'd do myself. The amount of damage you could do to your friend's eardrums like that doesn't bear thinking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

TomBeckett wrote:
    ...tell me how would you improvise in a situation like that then?
    Well, unless your friend is happy with permanent hearing damage/tinnitus for the rest of his life, could I suggest something like this?-
    1148620632yf5.gif

Sparks wrote:
    Gotta say Tom, wouldn't be something I'd do myself. The amount of damage you could do to your friend's eardrums like that doesn't bear thinking about.

sorry sparks mabye i did not mention it in my previous posts. We did have ear plugs..

Rovi that position looks interesting!!
    Hurt my knee a while ago go doubt i could do it or if i did i might never get up from it:)

I have one female friend who likes shooting perhaps il try this with her:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Rovi wrote:
    Well, unless your friend is happy with permanent hearing damage/tinnitus for the rest of his life, could I suggest something like this?-
    1148620632yf5.gif

he'd want to be a very close friend though for that.

i'd have no problem doing it off the shoulder but i'd have to be wearing ear muffs and plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

TomBeckett wrote:
    I have one female friend who likes shooting perhaps il try this with her:D :D:D

classic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

sorry kramer but im on the side of tom on this one,if you've been lamping foxes as long as the rest of us have (20yrs in my case) and you seem to get all high and mighty of safety on the shoulder issue it sounds like its the first time you have heard it happen,in all my time at it i have not once heard of anyone who lamps foxes of hunts with a rifle (till now )dissagreeing with using someones shoulder.its no different than the lamper/spotter standing right beside close to the shooter

• Advertisement

OK guys, I'll publicly apologise for my outburst :D . Yesterday was my first day off the smokes & I was like a.........well......,lets just say very, very stressed & grumpy. 5.20am now & I'm smoking a cigarette :( .

Went through a day of hell for nothing :rolleyes: . I'll just have to try again & refrain from posting on the internet next time.

I still say it's totally wreckless to discharge a large calibre firearm off someone's shoulder unless they are already totally deaf. A friend of mine suffers from severe hearing loss in one ear with tinnitus & says he wouldn't wish it on his worst enemy. He wasn't born like that but it resulted from years in a noisy steel factory in the UK.
    I've seen him suffer since.

Again, I've no problem with foxing in the dark using lamps etc. or where Tom was hunting, backstops etc., just the permanent hearing damage possibility.

I'll never agree with you Tom but apologise again for the personal remarks, now removed ;).

Apologie Accepted:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Iv done this using a .22 magnum but would never do it with a swift you could do some serious damage to your ears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

TomBeckett wrote:
    You obviously know everything and have a vast knowlage of shooting in the field tell me how would you improvise in a situation like that then?

Free hand or from the hip in a Rappid fire mode:rolleyes:

maglite wrote:
    Free hand or from the hip in a Rappid fire mode:rolleyes:

I think i shall ask the lord of war for the gun of Rambo!! the M60 with the armour peircing bullets...:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

TomBeckett wrote:
    good night dough pity there were not more foxs about:)

I was out on Wed night from 10.30 pm onwards, a perfect night, dark & slight wind but only one fox seen in a ten mile drive (which was too far off to plug). Found it strange as there are normally five or six seen at this stage & at least three shot. Unfortunately it started to rain and didn't stop until yesterday :(

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

today would be a great day for it with the gale force 9 winds and all

Advertisement