Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a website

Options
  • 30-11-2006 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

If one has come up with an idea for a website but one doesnt have the expertise required to build it and one doesnt possess an abundance of cash to employ a professional... what does one do?

I have a limited knowledge of HTML and a pretty good grasp of photoshop for graphics but thats about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I have no knowledge of HTML and a very good grasp of Photoshop and Quark. I have two basic website, one done in quark and one done in FreeWay Pro. Its very simple once you start just having a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

You can either do what 6th did or you can teach yourself to learn php, mysql, asp or what ever language you wan to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

It really all depends what you want from a site, what I do suits me but the crowd I host with are great for helping me out and adding functionality to mt designs.

If you wanted to give a brief idea of what you want the good people here will tell you the best ways to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

I'm with 6th on this one. If you want to design a website to display information with no interaction with a database or files you can go for HTML and CSS. This are quite easy to learn and Quark and Dreamweaver can do most of the work for you.

You only need scripting langauges like asp, php etc. when you want to get a bit more complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Start off with Dreamweaver. Get a book, check out some tutorials. You don't need to know anything about php/asp/mysql to create a website.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭bogins

If you believe in your idea why do a half arsed job of it and potential jepordise your idea.

Put your money where your mouth is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Thanks guys. I hear what yr saying bogins. And yr probably right but I was thinking of setting up the basic site and attract an audience first.

I have some experience of dreamweaver and am pretty good on photoshop but it WOULD require to interactive. thats the stuff i dont understand.

Advertisement