Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US torture flights never landed at our airports

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Hobbes wrote:
    We are talking about rendition flights. The people in the plane are normally untried, suspected or alleged supporters and are certainly not documented on the manifest. The only way to know if they are on the plane is to search the plane.

Seems akin to saying that "The only way to know if the famous bank-robber Bugsey Jones robbed the bank is to search his house and see if the money's there" or "the only way to find out if she's a witch is to throw her in the lake and see if she floats" But you can't search a house without good cause, and if you're wrong about the supposed witch, you have another problem.

Yes, you could certainly find out one way or the other in that particular instance that you happen to search, but it costs you a whole hell of a lot if you're wrong. Either legally, if my advocations are correct, or internationally/politically if not.
    Please tell me how sending these people to a third country with the intention of torturing them is acceptable

Please tell me how violating common practise and courtesy is acceptable. My objection is not over the arguments against rendition, it's over the manner being suggested to take action against it. Find another way, one which is more likely to result in a successful definitive proof, else the risks of getting it wrong are large, morally and practically.
    The issue at hand is if actual searching planes coming through Ireland if there is a law to cover this. Odds on there isn't.

Police (and customs) are granted powers by legislation. In the absence of legislation to cover something, I submit that no power exists.
    A person who has never been charged of a crime either in the US or in Ireland being shipped off to Syria to be tortured would fall as "actual circumstances or risks".

If you have reasonable grounds to believe that he's actually on that aircraft, yes. If some lass is kidnapped in a town, and we have good reason to believe that she's being held in a house in that town, (and we'll say there's a viable threat to that girl) does that give the police the right to enter and search every house in the town? Absolutely not.

NTM

Advertisement