Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with parts for Sp Sirrus Sport

Options
  • 30-11-2006 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else here experienced problems getting crank parts for Specialized bikes?

My bike's been out of action for 7 weeks now; broke a crank on Knockmaroon hill, left it into cycleways (Sp dealer!) and it took 3 weeks to get the part, they fitted it, I cycled it home and it fell off the next day, left it back in, and have been waiting for over 3 weeks for another part to come in...

Not sure if it's becuase Cycleways have gone to sh1t, or Sp are crap at after sales service...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Sounds like a problem with the shop/supplier. The crank isn't unique to Specialized - if I recall it's a standard FSA one. You could buy one online and have it in a couple of days. I've heard other tales of Cycleways dragging their heels on warranty issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I had to get a replacement bottom bracket (FSA) once from Cycleways.
    It took ages for Specialized to send the item over (bike was under warranty). Dude in the shop told me that Sp will only send over a full pallet and not a small item on it's own. Then the BB got lost at some point.
    Cycleways, to their credit, offered to put in a temporary one for me (said it was OK as I was going away for a few days).
    BB eventually came in after a bit of a wait.

edit:
    In the end the item still kept going "faulty" so Cycleways replaced it with a different manufacturer from their own stock (presumably they get it back from Sp anyway, not that I'm bothered about that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

thanks guys, cycleways said my bike is an earlier model and they changed the crank midway through production, so the older one is hard to get... Not entirely sure about this story but it's really pissing me off as the chain snapped on my backup bike yesterday :mad: Now, where are my skates... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

milod wrote:
    thanks guys, cycleways said my bike is an earlier model and they changed the crank midway through production, so the older one is hard to get...

If that's the case they should just obtain and install the newer crankset.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

What Morgan said. Bike parts are all pretty interchangable, no reason they should have to get the exact same crank that came with the bike. I got my Sirrus from Cycleways but never needed warranty service; if what you say is true (they have to wait for the part from Specialized rather than just using whatever and billing Specialized or keeping a stock) I do think that's a bit much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement