Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a phone line is so much fun...

Options
  • 30-11-2006 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Perhaps someone on here can help. A small company I'm involved with are moving offices shortly. They don't have physical access to the premises yet. An absolute requirement for the move is that BB be present in the premises when they move in (the line must have a dsl signal on it).

I put an order through Eircons web page on monday. Hearing nothing back within 48 hours I followed up on the phone to be told that no order had been placed and that unless I could plug a phone into the socket in the new office and call them from there then I could basically sod off.

Given the language difficulties as well (anyone I spoke to had pretty rudimentary English at best) I suspect they didn't even check the correct street despite repeatedly spelling it back to them. They insisted it didn't exist at one point!

Repeated attempts at putting an order through on the phone have all come back to the go and plug the phone into the premises and do it from there.

I have the previous tenants company name for the same address but they weren't interested in that.

So much time wasted on a simple task like switching over a phoneline. Any useful suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

Here's what you need to find out in order to see if you have a chance of getting broadband. They won't give you an answer until your phone line is set up.

What exchange will you be on?
    How far are you from this exchange?
    Is the exchange DSL enabled?
    What kind of technology is it using, i.e. is it ADSL2+ technology?
    Do any of your neighbours get DSL broadband?

If any of your neighbours get broadband you should be ok. To find answers to these questions you may have to get phone numbers for your neighbours and call eircom with them and request the info.

I recently ordered a new phone line and told eircom I wanted to receive broadband on the line. So an engineer came over and put me on a carrier line (which precludes getting broadband), which took months to sort out.

If you post up your findings people will be able to help you more.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

machalla wrote:
    Given the language difficulties as well (anyone I spoke to had pretty rudimentary English at best) I suspect they didn't even check the correct street despite repeatedly spelling it back to them. They insisted it didn't exist at one point!

I had noticed that eircom was hiring plenty of euro fluff this year for their city west call centre. Normally they are civil (unlike old Biddy of yore) but useless where Biddy was ignorant and useless ...or sometimes ignorant rude and useful.

Having been there for some time I am quite sure that they will go rude and useless, its a cultural thing.

Personally I would prefer English not to be an optional skill in an Irish Call Centre. My normal coping mechanism is to speak Irish to the euro fluff at which point they go get an Irish person :D Most Irish persons in Citywest are generally more senior and generally slightly more useful than the euro fluff by the way.
    So much time wasted on a simple task like switching over a phoneline. Any useful suggestions appreciated.

Go to premises, plug in phone, dial 199000 and note whats said. Repeat for each line on premises and note and diagram it.

Then ring the 1901 fluff. Its a reconnect if you have a number for each line, €20 + Vat that costs.

If 199000 does not give you a number but you 'hear' something then its an in situ install for about €35 + Vat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I managed to get through to an account manager in Eircon finally who was local and did have the capability to check out the lines / understand what I'm talking about.

Ideally physical access to the premises would be the way to go but its not a runner for them yet. Sounds like theres some problems with the previous tenant having re-directs on the lines which may cause us a problem it seems.

Thanks for the advice on the 199000 number.

Advertisement