Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New & Improved "Advice on Laptop" thread

• 30-11-2006 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Here's the info, any opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated. I don't see my situation as unique so hopefully someone has gone through it with opinions/gripps.

Price range: Probably about €1500. I may go over this if the pay-off is worth it

Intended use: I'm an software developer using Visual Stuido .NET and would be running many applications at the same time. The spec would need to be fairly strong. The twist is that I plan to do a bit of travel over the next few years. This will involve travelling for a few months, working for a few months and so on. It will definitly need to be portable. I will also need a long lasting Battery.

Links: I haven't done a huge amount of research other than look at a couple of websites. I figured the best way would be to start a discussion and see if anyone has previously gone down this path (Travelling IT professional:D )

Tv-out: Whatever

Buying abroad?I've got family over in California that would be coming home for Christmas so this is definitly an option.

Well there we have it folks, any opinions at all would be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

myleftfoot wrote:
    Intended use: I'm an software developer using Visual Stuido .NET and would be running many applications at the same time. The spec would need to be fairly strong.
    Based on this, you are probably talking a Core Duo and 2Gig of Ram.
    myleftfoot wrote:
    The twist is that I plan to do a bit of travel over the next few years. This will involve travelling for a few months, working for a few months and so on. It will definitly need to be portable. I will also need a long lasting Battery.
    ... (Travelling IT professional:D )
    As a former Travelling IT Professional myself, I can highly recommend an IBM Laptop (or Levono as you crazy kids are calling them these days). The X series are incredibly portable and give great battery life, but are probably too small for development work. Even with the standard models (T series, I think), you can get extended batteries that I have seen lasting anything from 6-10 hours (never actually had one of these batteries - they were always given to managers, not us plebs).

You will pay that bit more for an IBM, but having used different models over the past 7 years, I can vouch for their quality.
    myleftfoot wrote:
    Buying abroad?I've got family over there that would be coming home for Christmas so this is definitly an option.
    Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭myleftfoot

tom dunne wrote:
    Based on this, you are probably talking a Core Duo and 2Gig of Ram.

As a former Travelling IT Professional myself, I can highly recommend an IBM Laptop (or Levono as you crazy kids are calling them these days). The X series are incredibly portable and give great battery life, but are probably too small for development work. Even with the standard models (T series, I think), you can get extended batteries that I have seen lasting anything from 6-10 hours (never actually had one of these batteries - they were always given to managers, not us plebs).

You will pay that bit more for an IBM, but having used different models over the past 7 years, I can vouch for their quality.

Where?

Cheers for the pointers Tom. I was considering an IBM myself, do you know if they have a factory outlet?

I've got family over in California at the moment so that could be an options.

Also, What do you think about the price I'm looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

myleftfoot wrote:
    Cheers for the pointers Tom. I was considering an IBM myself, do you know if they have a factory outlet?

No idea.
    myleftfoot wrote:
    I've got family over in California at the moment so that could be an options.

You would most likely get it cheaper there. IBM's are covered by a worldwide warranty, AFAIK.
    myleftfoot wrote:
    Also, What do you think about the price I'm looking at?

Hefty enough, I would imagine. I got an R50e in February and it was €900 for a modest spec (Pentium M, 512Mb RAM, 30Gig HD). Personally, I didn't mind paying over the odds for an IBM, given the quality and reputation. So you are probably talking nearer €2000.

Advertisement