Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The c - 13 Story

Options
  • 30-11-2006 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

November 30th 2006

Current Weight: 15st
    Height: 6ft
    Smoker: No
    Drinker: Usually once per week (Sat)

Background:
    After my eating habits going to hell during the college years (graduated this May) my weight fluctuated wildly, put on weight during the college terms and lost weight in the summer months.

I was never one for sports like soccer and that but am hoping to get back into swimming again.

At the moment I'm working as an engineer so its a fairly inactive job, sitting all day. Used to surf a bit, looking to get back into this too in a couple of months.

Would like to work out in the mornings but tried it before and it doesnt work for me as it involves getting up at about 5AM (i'm in work for 7.30) so I tend to workout in the evenings instead.

I started this journal as a way to keep me sticking to the workouts and diet, my reasoning is if I feel I have to be reporting it somewhere i'll be more likely to stick to it.

Goals:
    To decrease my body fat (i will be doing this based on visual only - before pic with update every 2 weeks)
    To increase fitness levels and functional strength
    To work out a minimum of 4 times per week
    To go swimming at least once a week
    To Increase my water intake, I used to drink loads now i have gone down to about 1L per day
    Cut down on my coffe consumption (take coffee black, no sugar)

Plan:
    Follow the crossfit WOD's as closely as possible, but I will probably need to drop the weight on them for the first few weeks. I will be hoping to add a few extra bits to the crossfit workouts as time progresses.

Curb bad eating habits that I have gotten into - particularly too much bread in my diet.

Equipment:
    Am not a member of a gym anymore, have free weights, bench, chinning bar and space at home so going to try as much as possible with that.

Problems:
    Sometime in the new year I will be sent to Qatar with work and will not have access to my own free weights, may or may not have access to a gym. This could throw everything out of synch for me, but I will worry about that when
    it happens.

Proposed Diet:
    6.30 Bowl porridge made with water only, cup coffee
    10.30 Small amout mixed nuts
    12.45 Two Chicken sandwich, wholemeal bread, small amount butter
    (or something similar)
    Piece of fruit
    3.00 Small amount mixed nuts
    5.30 Meat, 2 Veg (Varies day to day)

While the diet isnt the greatest its an improvement, any feedback please feel free to throw it at me.

Accordng to crossfit todays workout is -
    "Barbara"
    Five rounds each for time of -
    20 Pull ups
    30 Push ups
    40 Sit ups
    50 Squats
    Rest three mins between rounds.
    Time for each five rounds.

Todays diet is as posted above but without the breakfast (I woke late) and the nuts (will be substituting for 1 apple because someone ate my mixed nuts last night)
    Will be attempting the above workout tonight (about 7-8)
    Will be picking up local pool times on the way home from work (will start swimming next week)
    Workout coments will be posted after workout

Please feel free to poke me with the proverbial pointy stick if I am not seen to be keeping to this schedule.

Also should I be eating/drinking anything after the workout ? Generally I dont. Also dont take protien powder/shakes but would certainly consider it if it would be beneficial.

All pointers, abuse, encouragement, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

daveirl wrote:

But does taste a little like drinking ass, or what I imagine ass to taste like. None the less it is damn good for recovery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

D-Generate wrote:
    But does taste a little like drinking ass, or what I imagine ass to taste like. None the less it is damn good for recovery!
    are you kidding?? I look forward to my orange RAM as soon as my workout is over :D yum!!!!

OP best of luck, crossfit is a brilliant training regime, you'll get a lot out of it if you give it socks. Have fun!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Best of luck with the plan, looks like you've put a good bit of thought into it.

Though you just *cannot* skip/miss breakfast...or pretty much any meal for that matter, though especially breakfast. Your body has been fasting and needs fuel! If you woke up late grab something, a pint of milk and a nutrigrain bar in a shop is still far better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Thanks for all the replies guys - going to order a tub of RAM now.
    As for skipping breakfast, I know its a bad thing and it usually never happens, will be setting two alarms from now on ! :D

Yesterdays Stats
    Water Intake: 2.25L
    Diet Adhered To: YES
    If Not List Lapses: N/A
    Workout Adhered to: ALMOST
    Workout Comments: SEE BELOW
    Additional Workout: NONE

Yesterdays Crossfit WOD Times

Time Started: 8:40pm
    Round 1 6 Min 58 Sec
    Round 2 7 Min 35 Sec
    Round 3 Incomplete
    Round 4 Incomplete
    Round 5 Incomplete

By mid round three I was knackered, guess it just goes to show how unfit I am. Crossfit workouts are very humbling. The times I pulled on these arent great but they will improve.
    I'm coughing like a ****er here as i'm typing this, shold have gotten rid of the tail-end of the flu before I launched into this ! Oh well take it one step at a time. Ill do better today.

Todays Crossfit WOD
    Run 10 K

Running is my weakest point, I just dont have the stamina to keep it up for long periods of time. I'm going to give it my best shot though.

Todays Diet
    6.45 - Bowl porridge made with water only, cup coffee
    10.30 - 1 Apple (have to buy nuts for next week later)
    12.45 Two Chicken sandwich, wholemeal bread, small amount butter
    1 Apple
    3.00 1 Apple
    5.30 Bowl Pasta, Will attempt to make some sauce with a can of tomato and some spices.

EDIT : Just to say I ordered the Nutrition-X RAM anyone have any idea of the size of the container ?
    Got it from Fitness Ireland for €35. Is that about average ?

Nice one - thanks again dave. Will follow that advice this evening might add some more veg to the mix and do less pasta.

Ok update -

Friday 1st Dec
    Water Intake: 2.5L
    Diet Adhered To: Yes
    If Not List Lapses: N/A
    Workout Adhered to: Yes
    Workout Comments:
    Couldnt make the full 10K ran as far as I could, unsure of distance, (note to self - Buy a pedometer) went for about 20 mins, I think the wind was a big factor in the distance, it was in my face the whole time.
    Additional Workout: No

Sat 2nd Dec
    Crossfit rest day
    Water Intake: 1.5L
    Diet Adhered To: Mostly
    If Not List Lapses:
    Had white bread at lunch time
    Grilled a few sausages/rashers for the tea, not great but they were butchers ones so not quite as bad as packet ones I guess.
    2 Bottles Sam adams
    1 Bottle Miller
    Workout Adhered to: Yes
    Workout Comments: None
    Additional Workout: None

Sun 3rd Dec
    "CrossFit Total"
    Back squat, 1 rep
    Shoulder Press, 1 rep
    Deadlift, 1 rep

Dont have the kind of weight at home to make this a challenge so I decided to do a bench press morning

5 x 50KG
    6 x 50KG
    6 x 50KG
    5 x 50KG
    8 x 50KG
    6 x 50KG
    5 x 50KG
    5 x 50KG
    5 x 50KG
    20 x 30KG
    10 x 30KG
    15 x 30KG
    5 x 30KG
    5 x 30KG
    5 x 30KG

Need to start trying to build back strength again.

Water Intake: 1.25L
    Diet Adhered To: Not really
    If Not List Lapses:
    Had proper sunday dinner
    Subway arounf 6pm
    Had some fish aroung 9.30pm
    Workout Adhered to: Different Workout
    Workout Comments: SeeAbove
    Additional Workout: NONE

Comments: Diet suffered a fair bit today, will do better in future but wont dwell on it.

Workout listed for today
    For time:
    50 Box jump, 24 inch box
    50 Jumping pull-ups
    50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
    Walking Lunge, 50 steps
    50 Knees to elbows
    50 Push press, 45 pounds
    50 Back extensions
    50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
    50 Burpees
    50 Double unders

Theres going to have to be a few substitutuons in this by the look of things, kind of looking forward to this one very varied workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

c - 13 wrote:
    I decided to do a bench press morning

5 x 50KG
    6 x 50KG
    6 x 50KG
    5 x 50KG
    8 x 50KG
    6 x 50KG
    5 x 50KG
    5 x 50KG
    5 x 50KG
    20 x 30KG
    10 x 30KG
    15 x 30KG
    5 x 30KG
    5 x 30KG
    5 x 30KG

If all this was just bench, it looks like you have way to much volume in your training. If you don't have any more weights at home look into buying some more,

• Advertisement

Sorry jsb i'm not too well up on the terminology used here, is what your saying basically up the weight lower the set/reps ? I usually do it this way as I dont use a training partner/spotter.

ye so you should be looking to do roughly 3-4 sets with rougly 8-10 reps per set, this helps to focus on muscle growth, if you are looking to gain strenght you would be looking at a lower amount of reps but with a slightly higher weight. For endurance you would be looking to get 15 reps in one set but this would be at a lower weight.

If you doing it without a spotter drop the weight a bit so that you aren't going to failure on the final set, to help offset this you could train chest twice a week instead of once,

Ah thanks for that, makes a bit more sense now. I think ill have to look into getting one of the lads to spot for me to be honest.
    I've only got about 80KG of plates but I was looking for a reason to buy some more anyway.

Last nights workout was a disaster, I only got about half way through it. I guess its not known as the filthy fifty for nothing.

Diet went well yesterday though
    6.45 Bowl Porridge
    7.30 Cup coffee
    10.30 Small handful mixed nuts
    12.45 Two chicken sandwch whole meal bread small amout of butter
    one appple, Small handful mixed nuts
    3.30 Small handful mixed nuts
    6.00 Two chicken fillets, carrots, peas, small amount potato

Todays pending workout -
    1 mile Run
    100 Pull-ups
    200 Push-ups
    300 Squats
    1 mile Run

Looks daunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

c - 13 wrote:
    Todays pending workout -
    1 mile Run
    100 Pull-ups
    200 Push-ups
    300 Squats
    1 mile Run

Looks daunting.
    Ah, the Murph... 'daunting' is a nice way of putting it :D When I do this I partition it into 10 rounds of 10 pull-ups, 20 push-ups and 30 squats so that I can keep moving consistently and not stop mid-way to cough up a lung. It's a long workout and it's as much a mental endurance test as a fitness test. Enjoy!!

Thanks for the tip g'em - i have a feeling ill be alternating the exercises with puking and collapsing but ill give it a blast anyway :D thanks

Well my nutrition-x RAM arrived yesterday, and what better way of testing it that attempting the "Murph" crossfit workout.

However I realised when I had finished the workout that I had done a slight spin on it the workout was listed as -
    1 mile Run
    100 Pull-ups
    200 Push-ups
    300 Squats
    1 mile Run

However I somehow managed to read it as
    1 mile Run
    100 Push-ups
    200 Sit-ups

300 Squats
    1 mile Run

I dont know how, situps werent even mentioned :confused:
    Well, I managed to complete the doctored workout in about 1Hr 20Min, I had to do a couple of the last pushups off my knees and some of the final situps became crunches.
    One again i ahd no pedometer so I just went for a 20 min run at a moderate speed for the 1 Mile before and after runs.

The nutrition-x RAM isnt too bad, kind of smells of and looks like orange malupa tbh. Not as stiff as I had expected this morning, but am still glad its a rest day.

Yesterdays diet went as follows -
    6.45 Porridge
    7.30 Cup coffee
    12.45 Two sandwiches, wholemeal bread, small amount of butter, there was nothing else in the fridge and no shops open at time of making so had to use cheese slices in them, two small apples (kind of hungry), Small handful mixed nuts
    5.45 Some steak, onions and peas
    9.15 Nutrion-x Ram

Todays crossfit workout ..... looks tough
    65 pound Thrusters, 50 reps
    50 Pull-ups
    65 pound Thrusters, 30 reps
    30 Pull-ups
    65 pound Thrusters, 20 reps
    20 Pull-ups

Especially considering that i'm still a bit tired from the Murph on tuesday.

Yesterdays diet consisted of -
    6.45 Porridge, two slices wholemeal bread
    7.30 Cup coffee
    12.45 Two chicken sandwiches, wholemeal bread, small amount of butter, Small handful mixed nuts, apple
    5.45 Some chicken casserole

The weekend wasnt really a great time, I woke up friday morning with muscular pains going from between my shoulder blades and neck, I think this is more due to sleeping awkwardly than bad lifting form but will take a look at my form either way.

It kept up all weekend and is mostly gone today, I didnt want to lift anything in case I aggravated it more so am looking forward to starting back at it hopefully tomorrow. I dont know if I was just being a wuss or not but i'd rather not mess myself up.

Diet went grand enough, did have one take out over the weekend though.

Just a quick query, before starting this journal what was your level of fitness i.ee how often where you working out. the reason I ask is that I have a funny feeling that you maybe overdoing it. Aswell as dropping the weights on the crossfit exercises you should also be dropping the amount of reps that you are doing especially on the ones for time as you are probably trying to do too much too soon. So start slowly with scaled down versions of the workout of today untill your body is more used to the strain you are going to be putting it under

• Advertisement

Thanks jsb, I wasnt too unfit, I had done crossfit before for a while, admittedly not being able to finish most of the WOD's, I stopped for a month or so and then started the journal to get back into it again.

Its possible I suppose but I dont feel like I was overdoing it, I mean I stopped when I needed to, took a breather if I felt it would affect the performance of the next set etc.

Ill tone them down for a couple of weeks and see how I get on. Thanks again.

Hmm its been a while ....
    Status Report:
    Worked on a lower intensty crossfit for a few days, but it felt like I wasnt doing enough. Probably dropped the weight and reps too much.

I remember seeing a site before that had various intensity levels of the crossfit WOD listed each day. Anyone have any idea what the link is/was ?

I sat back looked at my diet, realised that it could do with a bit of fixing, I seemed to be taking in a lot of carbs.

I also looked into other workouts besides crossfit to see if anything took my fancy, nothing seemed exactly right for me though.

I have been thinking about dropping crossfit for a few weeks in favor of a new system as maybe i'm just not ready for crossfit yet.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very glad to hear them.

I lapsed from working out over the christmas period and my eating went kind of awry. I wasnt eating loads of crap or anything but I was eating more than I should.

SO back to square one ? Not exactly, I have lost some body fat, not a lot to be very noticable or anything, but I notice it myself.

I started back to working out and eating properly yesterday (along with about half the country i'm sure).

Until I can come up with something else I will stick to crossfit for my workouts.

Revised Diet -

Yesterday
    6.45 Bowl porridge, two slices wholemeal bread, small amount butter, cup coffee
    10.30 Apple
    12.45 Two baked chicken fillets, Apple.
    3.30 Apple
    5.00 Some cassaroled steak, carrots, parsnips, onions.
    8.00 Workout - Just some low intensity, low weight exercises to get the motions back and stuff.
    Post Workout - 2+1/2 Scoops R.A.M in water, Boiled egg.

Todays Proposed Diet
    6.45 Bowl porridge, two slices wholemeal bread, small amount butter, cup coffee
    10.30 Apple
    12.45 Two Chicken fillets, Boiled Egg, Apple.
    (Note - Chicken fillets are coated in Chilli powder, cayene pepper, parsely, sage and thyme in a little melted butter and done on the George Foreman)
    3.30 Apple
    5.00 Two Chicken fillets, very small amount white rice.
    8.00 Workout - a' la Crossfit
    Back Squat 5-5-5-5-5 reps
    Post workout - 2+1/2 Scoops R.A.M in water, Boiled egg

I'm not 100% on that diet so if anyone would care to comment all help greatly appreciated.

I was taking mixed nuts with the apple at 10.30 and 3.30 but I ate those without variation every day for about a month but got fed up of the taste, so I will incorporate those again soon, just need to break from them for a bit.

As of tonight I will attach body fat pic to have a comparison for a months time, 3rd Feb.

As always please feel free to comment, advise or hurl abuse.

Thanks for reading.

Yesterdays diet followed perfectly.

Yesterdays workout
    Back Squat
    8 x 30KG
    8 x 30KG
    8 x 30KG
    8 x 30KG
    8 x 30KG
    8 x 30KG
    8 x 30KG
    8 x 30KG
    10 x 30KG
    10 x 30KG

I attempted to go with a higher weight but my form was crap so I settled for going with a lower weight so I could get my form correct. As a result I upped the reps a bit and added a few more sets.

Todays WOD
    Shoulder Press 5-5-5-5-5 reps

This will probably as yesterdays with more reps and sets but with a lower wieght to get my form correct.

Took my before photos last night, I wont put them up here as planned because theyre fairly bad, but it gives me something solid to work from anyway. Hopefully I wond be as embarrased to put my after pics up.

Todays diet is about the same as yesterday -
    6.45 Bowl porridge, two slices wholemeal bread, small amount butter
    10.30 Apple
    12.45 Two Chicken fillets, Boiled Egg, Apple.
    (Note - Chicken fillets are coated in Chilli powder, cayene pepper, parsely, sage and thyme in a little melted butter and done on the George Foreman)
    5.00 Unsure of what here, probably two more chicken fillets done on GF Grill
    Shoulder Press 5-5-5-5-5 reps
    Post workout - 2+1/2 Scoops R.A.M in water, Boiled egg

Yesterdays workout completed.
    Few warm ups with 50KG
    then
    8 x 30kg
    8 x 30kg
    8 x 30kg
    8 x 30kg
    8 x 30kg
    8 x 30kg
    8 x 30kg
    8 x 30kg

Todays workout
    Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5

Yesterdays diet, followed, minus post workout egg.
    I think ill need to cut down my consumption of eggs anyway, i'm eating 2 a day and that probably abit too much, maybe cut back to 6 in a week.

Todays diet so far,
    Didnt get up until 10.30 so skipped breakast
    12.00 1 rasher, 2 sausages, 3 pieces white pudding (butcher meats, all grilled) two boiled eggs. Cup coffee

Probably just have some soup or something later.

Saturday -
    Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5 completed with 50KG, low weight for form.

Diet as previosly posted
    Tea was bowl soup, ham sandwich and two slices brown bread.

Sunday -
    Workout rest day
    Diet
    Missed breakfast due to sleeping in
    Dinner - Chicken fillets with stuffing, peas, 4-5 roast potato
    Tea - Two medium cod fillets, two slices brown bread
    Also had a chinese about 10 sunday night - Kung Po with boiled rice, bold me. Ill do better this week.

Todays W.O.D
    Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
    65 pound Thruster, 12 reps
    10 Pull-ups

This should be amusing, I wont be expecting to set too high a score.

Todays Diet -
    10.30 Apple
    12.45 Two baked Chicken fillets, Boiled Egg, Apple.
    5.00 Unsure of what here
    Post workout - 2+1/2 Scoops R.A.M in water

Very busy here in work yesterday so I didnt get a chance to log progress -
    Monday
    Diet
    10.30 Apple
    5.45 Cant actually remember to be honest :confused:
    9.00 Really hungry so had two slices of wholemeal and some red cheddar

Workout
    65 pound Thruster, 12 reps
    10 Pull-ups

Only got about half way through this workout then got interrupted by my brother looking to an all employee meeting at his workplace. Since there was noone else around I had to take him. Got home almost two hours later so left the workout.

Yesterday
    10.30 Apple
    3.30 Apple
    5.45 Some shepards pie (not great I know), peas
    Post workout R.A.M + Water

Workout
    Was supposed to be -
    65 pound Power snatch, 12 reps
    10 Push-ups

Couldnt quite get the technique for the power snatch correct, did a few sets with just the bar to get hte technique correct(ish).
    So I went and did yesterdays workout instead.
    Only got out about 6 rounds, which I feel was fairly poor.

Todays Workout
    100 m Run
    1.5 pood Kettlebell swings, 12 reps (1.5 Pood = 24KG)
    10 Pull-ups

Diet -
    6.45 Bowl porridge, two slices white bread (some asshole ate the two slices of wholemeal I had left aside for breakfast today), small amount butter
    10.30 Apple
    3.30 Apple
    5.45 Grilled chicken, roast carrots and parsnips.
    Post workout R.A.M + Water

Just a quick update, its been busy enough here in work so I havent really had time to log daily progress.

Diet is still going well its basically the same as I have been posting all along, the last couple of mornings I skipped the porridge for breakfast though as I was running late.

Workout is still crossfit, I missed a couple of days last week due to not being at home but am straight back into it again.

I am definately loosing body fat, a couple of people have noticed it and a couple of people I havent seen in a few months were complimenting me on the fact that I look more muscular now. I'm noticing it myself too, but its good motivation when others notice it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Hi just came across your posting and well done for making the effort but I do see that your diet is a bit low in protein. I'd say try some protein (your choice of flavour) mixed with your morning porridge or just simply as a shake mixed with water or skim milk ( extra protein) and cut out the bread and butter at breakfast.
    Next I'd say try having one chicken fillet with some salad in a wholewheat pitta, you can vary this with a large tin of tuna (225g), or turkey fillet or turkey ham (less fat than regular ham). This is some thing you could have any time during the day for your 1st, 2nd or 3rd meal.
    For dinner or lunch (hot meal) again try one chicken or small turkey fillet or some fish (salmon or an oily fish would be best) your choice of veg, some brown rice or a small potato and if you need a sauce try a tomato and herb based one (low carb and non fat).

If your looking for some meal ideas try the bodyforlife.com site (bit american but still good).

As a general guide on diet I'd say look at some of the threads which show how to calculate your calorie needs then break it down over 6 meals per day on a 50% Carbohydrate, 30% Protein and 20 % Fat (by calorie) this is not perfect but is a good starting point. If you do decide to work out your needs by the % above remember that protein and carbs have on average 4 cals/g and fat has 9cals/g.

Any way not a dictation just a suggestion so best of luck.

Hey gears, thanks for your input. I think you have a very good point, I've been feeling crappy lately (cold sores, getting sick easily etc) and the G/F, parents, friends think its down my diet.

Ill have to come up with something else, I cant eat chicken and apples everyday I guess ! Thanks again, ill just go check out bodyforlife.com now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

How's this going buddy? No updates in a while, hope you're still at it!

Advertisement