Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinons from Samsung LCD Users.

Options
  • 30-11-2006 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Have decided to take the plunge and purchase myself a Hd telly for Christmas. It's not rocket science, I have found it actually much harder than that. I have read nearly everything out there and it is all very impressive, except for the reviews which seem to contradict each other.

First thing I have decided on is brand so I have gone with Samsung because I love the glossy black finish and hidden speakers which make the telly smaller as size of the overall unit is a big factor for me. So to 37" to 40" is the size I have decided upon.

These look nice

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/tftlcd/le26r74bdxxeu.asp

It will be used for normal sky digital and dvd's, will wait for sky hd until next year.

So calling all Samsung users out there who are happy or sad with there purchases I would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The R7 range are pretty nice looking. I wish I had waited a few months to get one.
    Personally I find myself saying to people to try and have a look at the samsung range and see what they thing about them.

The model I got was last year reported to have a resistor failure that could pop and as a result, you would have no telly anymore.

I've had mine since last November, so at this stage its 1 year and a week and I have had no problems with it and I can report that I only have 2 dead pixels, one on the bottom left and right hand side. You cant see them usless you actually go looking for them.

Personal pics of the TV can be found here. Most are HD content. (year old)
    http://images.sparky-s.com/sp_index.php?dir=./Samsung32

There are quite a few samsung owners on the forums!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Love my samsung also, One dead pixel and I still have bother to find that even to this day. Its around 7 Months old now and I absoloutly love it. Has great inputs and picture is brilliant when using a HD signal or using a signal of higher resolution IE.. PC etc.. Overall quality of the screen is excellent, very user friendly, has some good settings to adjust picture and improve it.

Havn't had one issue since day of purchase and would definetly go for another samsung if I buy another, mabey larger.

BTW I have the 32" version after sparky-s. Personally I can't see a major difference between all the 32/27/26/23" version of the samsungs, Other then its physical appearance and mabe the addition of more side inputs / outputs.

Great TV's, Generally well priced online.. in comparison to the sony bravia Range, Although I have heard great things about them sony's too, Give them a shot.

Here's a shot of mine a while back, sorry for the image quality. Was taken with phone. image2091lg5.th.jpg

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Just bought this TV LE40r74b from DID .They have it on special at about 1750 down from 1850 yesterday.I saw it in store and it looks great.

The closest i can find online is the le40r71b for 1699 on Komplete.Is this model newer/better than the 74b.Is the DID price good?

I decided to buy in a bricks and mortar store because in the last 2 weeks i have bought and returned two TVs online both DOA.I would be interested to find out how much extra i have paid for the privellage.

I also bought the Samsung dvd hd860 on Pixmania and that has gone missing .So i have decided to give online shopping a miss for now.:(

Just found on AVforums that the only difference between the 71 and 74 is colour
    that would make the DID price very good?
    The komplette price of 1699 doesnt include delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Thanks for the replies and the pics lads.

How do ye find the audio of the telly's themselves and more importantly how is SD on them, as It will be used for this mainly for the next year.

Sparly-S: I went to buy a HD telly aswell last November but was actually talked out of it and told wait a year, so this is 13 months in the making now and I'm still waffling around. Definately taking the plunge in the next 7 days thou.

Thanks again lads.

andyeire wrote:
    Just bought this TV LE40r74b from DID .They have it on special at about 1750 down from 1850 yesterday.I saw it in store and it looks great.

The closest i can find online is the le40r71b for 1699 on Komplete.Is this model newer/better than the 74b.Is the DID price good?

I decided to buy in a bricks and mortar store because in the last 2 weeks i have bought and returned two TVs online both DOA.I would be interested to find out how much extra i have paid for the privellage.

I also bought the Samsung dvd hd860 on Pixmania and that has gone missing .So i have decided to give online shopping a miss for now.:(

Just found on AVforums that the only difference between the 71 and 74 is colour
    that would make the DID price very good?
    The komplette price of 1699 doesnt include delivery

How yeah Andy, congrats on your new purchase, has this one got a digital tuner or can you get this model without them. Also had they the 37 inch version, I think the 40 could be too big for me :o(

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote:
    How yeah Andy, congrats on your new purchase, has this one got a digital tuner or can you get this model without them. Also had they the 37 inch version, I think the 40 could be too big for me :o(

From the model number it doesnt ,AFAIR the next size down is 32".
    Without the speakers on the side it isnt much bigger than an average 37" with speakers on side.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Boggles wrote:
    Thanks for the replies and the pics lads.

How do ye find the audio of the telly's themselves and more importantly how is SD on them, as It will be used for this mainly for the next year.

Sparly-S: I went to buy a HD telly aswell last November but was actually talked out of it and told wait a year, so this is 13 months in the making now and I'm still waffling around. Definately taking the plunge in the next 7 days thou.

Thanks again lads.

Audio is very powerfull for general use. I use the surround system for any movies or shows I love.

SD via Sky is not bad if you are on a decent bitrate channel. NTL digital however is a different story. You can see how bad the picture looks on NTL.

All other inputs are grand.

One way or another. The samsung range and many other brands for that matter, have got better since 13 months ago. Responce time is reduced and contrast ratio has got better.

Having a good look around many stores and asking all the questions you can think of and checking up online as well will help.
    You may also find out when asking floor staff at major retail outlets, that they sometimes (mostly :)) don't have a clue about the TV's either.

Sparky-s wrote:
    Audio is very powerfull for general use. I use the surround system for any movies or shows I love.

SD via Sky is not bad if you are on a decent bitrate channel. NTL digital however is a different story. You can see how bad the picture looks on NTL.

All other inputs are grand.

One way or another. The samsung range and many other brands for that matter, have got better since 13 months ago. Responce time is reduced and contrast ratio has got better.

Having a good look around many stores and asking all the questions you can think of and checking up online as well will help.
    You may also find out when asking floor staff at major retail outlets, that they sometimes (mostly :)) don't have a clue about the TV's either.

I hear yeah, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I got a samsung hd crt 32 inch ,the picture is excellent in sdtv, ntl cable and sky digital.The picture is fantastic on xbox 360 720p mode ,i havent tried 1080i mode.I recommmend hdcrt or hdplasma for sdtv or sky digital ,superior to any lcd tv in regard to color reproduction ,subtle tones ,realistic skin tones and backround detail ,peats.com says plasma is better for watching movies .Samsung is bring out new hdcrts in january,37inch or 40inch.Ihave not seen one lcd tv with even good color display on pal tv,cable tv.Thats why the shops mostly show skynews or dvds on the lcd tvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Afetr months of humming and hahing about a HD flat panel my Xbox360 has finally pushed me over the edge.

I have to wait for my NTL digital contract to expire before I can give them the boot and get Sky+ in, but for the 360 would the following be recommended by anyone.

Samsung R7

Price seems like a real bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I have the 26" version of that and its fantastic. Brilliant colours, excellent contrast (both with and without the dynamic contrast on) and as bright as I'd ever want my TV. I even have to turn it down when it gets dark, it's uncomfortable to watch.

The biggest shortcoming is the speakers, they give a clear and loud sound but they have no bass at all and leaving them sounding very flat. But you shouldn't be buying such a nice TV to stick with the inbuilt speakers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I got a 32" Samsung from Komplett just there on friday and I'm very happy with the quality on it. I also got a HD-DVD Drive the weekend and King Kong in HD looks great, also DVDs upscaled to HD look brilliant too.

the only problem I've noticed with it is on Sky Digital the sound on RTÉ and some other channels is slightly distorted and keeps clipping. I haven't got around to setting up my surround system with the TV yet, so hopefully it won't be a problem then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I was in the same boat as you OP. Did plenty of reading on the AVforums site and almost went for the 1080p Samsung F series which would have cost 2200. After reading the thread on that site I decided not to go for it for various reasons, mostly the 1:1 mapping problem. I ended up buying the LE40R72 model for 1400 and I can only say good things about it. There is a seriously long thread about it on the AVforums site, worth reading though. I have my media center connected to it at 720p and it looks amazing! Excellent TV that also has the looks to match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

jester77 wrote:
    I was in the same boat as you OP. Did plenty of reading on the AVforums site and almost went for the 1080p Samsung F series which would have cost 2200. After reading the thread on that site I decided not to go for it for various reasons, mostly the 1:1 mapping problem. I ended up buying the LE40R72 model for 1400 and I can only say good things about it. There is a seriously long thread about it on the AVforums site, worth reading though. I have my media center connected to it at 720p and it looks amazing! Excellent TV that also has the looks to match!

Hi , Were can you get it for this price? would love to know! most shops have it for around 1800e and komplett is 1649e. Looking for a good bargain for arouund 1600e. the samsungs look like they are the best speced up with better contrast ratios etc then similar priced LG's or Sony's. Would you notice the difference between a contarst ratio of 3000:1 as opposed to 5000:1?:)

I got a 32" Samsung from Komplett just there on friday and I'm very happy with the quality on it. I also got a HD-Drive the weekend and King Kong in HD looks great, also DVDs upscaled to HD look brilliant too.

the only problem I've noticed with it is on Sky Digital the sound on RTÉ and some other channels is slightly distorted and keeps clipping. I haven't got around to setting up my surround system with the TV yet, so hopefully it won't be a problem then.

What's a hd-drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Boggles wrote:
    What's a hd-drive?
    Sorry... HD-DVD Drive..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ice27 wrote:
    Hi , Were can you get it for this price? would love to know! most shops have it for around 1800e and komplett is 1649e. Looking for a good bargain for arouund 1600e. the samsungs look like they are the best speced up with better contrast ratios etc then similar priced LG's or Sony's. Would you notice the difference between a contarst ratio of 3000:1 as opposed to 5000:1?:)

I'm living in Germany, not sure if the shops will deliver to Ireland. I got it from www.madillo.tv They don't seem to stock it, they now have the 40" F series for €2019 which is a very good price. As for the LE40R72, these shops curenntly have it in stock for around €1350 + €50 delivery:
    http://www.topvision-online.de/details.html?item=134625641451133665525e
    http://www.elektronikhai.de/katalog/ctl3064/cp12921/si2024407/cl/

Boggles wrote:

Just got TV the other day it does have the digital tuner.The picture looks great the 40" is big but not too big i went from a 28" crt to this and even from 10 foot away picture is still good .

Does anybody who has this TV want to post there picture settings .

I find the Dynamic setting too bright (bright scenes too bright dark ones too dark)

I am using the Movie setting at the moment but would be interested to hear what other people are using

Has anybody with this tv worked out how to get the Samsung remote to controll a Sky+ box.

The nmbers are not in the manual the standard number for sky + is 1175 while this works on a one 4all remote ,for everything except the play and record functions, the samsung codes are all 3 digit codes.

If this is not possible does anyone know of a Universal style remote that can be programmed to controll a sky+ box.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

According to this site (http://satelliteonline.co.uk/sky_remote_codes.htm) you should get it to work with one of the following codes :

Samsung 0060 065, 584, 037, 245, 476, 398, 516, 292, 318, 037

• Advertisement

dancin wrote:
    According to this site (http://satelliteonline.co.uk/sky_remote_codes.htm) you should get it to work with one of the following codes :

Samsung 0060 065, 584, 037, 245, 476, 398, 516, 292, 318, 037

I can get the Sky + remote to control the TV what i cant work out is how to get the Samsung remote to control the Sky+ box.

The Samsung remote has buttons on the top of it thta you press and then you can controll your DVD ,VCR,STB it works fine for my DVD vcr regular sky box but i can not get it to controll Sky+.

Has anybody manged this

Advertisement