Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom kick starts network upgrade

Options
  • 30-11-2006 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

10M Investment.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/30/eircom_begins_network_upgrade/
    According to Eircom, the investment will mean higher speeds for broadband customers, with up to 25Mb per second being suggested, and increased availability of services that are currently out of reach of Irish users. These extra services include IPTV and video-on-demand.

Maybe those who are not able to get BB in certain areas around the country will be happy with the news :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It will not make a slightest bit of difference. This project is between Dublin-Galway and Dublin-Cork and will convert some 155mbit links to 1gb and higher metro ethernet ones, thats all.

Thats what the word "Core" in the report means. The rest is normal pr bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 playwert

damn them for no rural dundalk plans...........AT ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

first step then is the upgrade of their core backbone, which i assume is touching on capacity in many spots, as is evident over the past few months with countless speed issues.

Once they complete that and have sufficient backhaul, they 'might' start implementing fibre to the curb, i can only imagine how slow this particular part of the process will be ( since upgrading backhaul means they can increase the packages they offer their customers and resellers and in turn get more profit, whereas installing fibre to the curb allows competitors to provide even better services than they do now ), i shudder to think what sort of line rental eircom will seek for these lines / services

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

25mb..

..C'mon..C'mon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sponge Bob wrote:
    It will not make a slightest bit of difference. This project is between Dublin-Galway and Dublin-Cork and will convert some 155mbit links to 1gb and higher metro ethernet ones, thats all.

Thats what the word "Core" in the report means. The rest is normal pr bull****.
    no limerick
    argh galway beating us to it again :mad:

• Advertisement

and Limerick and Drogheda and Waterford

K?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Has anyone availed of this since it launched?

What sort of budgets are involved (I presume it's based on your proximity to the exchange)?

May I repeat what I said 2 and a half years ago for the slower on the uptake .

This announcement was PR Bull**** .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ah come on lads this is from 2006, thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement