Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Cougar

Options
  • 30-11-2006 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Thinking of buying a Ford Cougar.May bring one in from UK.2litre 00'model,just wondering has anyone any advice about these cars.I think they are a lovely motor but am worried about reliability,also what bhp are they and when should timing belt be done.Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

128bhp. Mondeo based.

Parkers think it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yup, nothing to worry about. Friend of mine bought one last year, got slagged. I think it's rather nice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Ditto Henry and Colm.

A work mate of mine has one for about 3 years now, with no problems other than a coil pack, which was sorted out quickly at a ford dealer. He loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nearly bought a 2.5 V6 when they first came out. Thought they looked great from the outside, but the interior was a little disappointing, a bit American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Alun wrote:
    Nearly bought a 2.5 V6 when they first came out. Thought they looked great from the outside, but the interior was a little disappointing, a bit American.

they are built in the states,in USA there is a 3.0lt version not available in europe.
    body panels & lights are very hard to replace (ie no scrap yards will have any)
    so will be VERY expensive from main dealer but service items will be the same as serviceing a mondeo 2.0 or 2.5;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

the v6 is a mazda engine same as in the xedos.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The 2.5 V6 was the same engine as the one in the Mondeo 2.5 V6, i.e. the Ford developed Duratorq engine .. nothing to do with Mazda as far as I remember. Don't know about the 3.0 V6, but I'd assumed it was a Ford/Jaguar unit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

greglo23 wrote:
    the v6 is a mazda engine same as in the xedos.

I think it was the 2.5 litre V6 in the Ford Probe that was a Mazda unit as the Probe was based on the Mazda MX-6.

The V6 from the Cougar is the same one found in the Mondeo MkI and MkII.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Friend of mine had the 2.0 for a couple of years. I don't think he'd any problems with it. I think the caralytic converter fell off once but thats about it. Its as reliable as a Mondeo because they share so many parts. I think he had to replace the front windscreen a few times because its just so big and seemed to attract flying chips.

Nice car, but the back seats are awful (not that probably bothers you if you're buying it) and the boot is enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Cougar is actually based on the previous generation Mondeo afaik. Not as well put together as the European built Fords though but they are dirt cheap these days especially in the UK. Make sure to get one with leather interior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

thanks very much for the info lads.i think they are a lovely car and fairly rare.i am going to the uk next month to pick one up.will get a 00 2litre with leather brought in for about e6,500 all in

Advertisement