Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unknown User Folder in "Documents and Settings"

• 30-11-2006 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I recently noticed that there is an unknown user folder in my documents and settings folder. The name of the folder is: cwmoaOyym

I'm running Win XP SP2

When I try to delete it I get an access denied message. If I reboot in safe mode I can delete it. But once I restart it reappears. I can delete the contents of the folder, but then it reappears with this name: cwmoaOyym.JOHNSLAPTOP

JOHNSLAPTOP is the name of my computer. I've scanned with NAV & AVG, but haven't found any viruses.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It might be a randomly named user account for a background service.

Right click on My Computer, enter Management and check the Users sub-branch under the Local Users and Groups branch to see if there is a similarily named user registered, and what (if any) the users discription is.

Automatically installed user accounts should leave a discription so that Sys Admins will know what program they are related to.

Of course, you should also run the usual virus scans just in case, but I have yet to hear of a virus that leaves such footprints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can get a full list of user accounts on the machine by going to Start > Run > "compmgmt.msc"

expand System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Users

If the account was installed by a service (e.g. AV), then it should have a description beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭JayV

Thanks Aidan & Seamus. Checked Computer Management, but there is no description beside this user.

I was infected with gromozon/linkoptimizer about a month ago, but used the Prevx fixgrom tool to remove it. Its only since then that I've noticed this folder, but TBH I never took much notice of user folders before that. Don't know if they're related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can have a look at the contents of that folder if you take ownership of it and then change its permissions so that your account has access to it (security tab in properties on XP pro, you'll probably have to reboot into safe mode for XP home).

Advertisement