Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Oh lads lads lads, that performance certainly upped my hopes for next year!, celtic just didnt look good at all, sure they ground out a win, but dunfermline controlled most of that game and made them look very ordinary.
    I know the last couple of months of the season have been tough for celtic in terms of motivation, but if they cant lift themselves again for a cup final........ ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Don't bin your runners-up medals yet Eirebear - you might still need them for next season. Rangers honeymoon period with Smith seems to have ended a bit abruptly... ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Eirebear wrote:
    Oh lads lads lads, that performance certainly upped my hopes for next year!, celtic just didnt look good at all, sure they ground out a win, but dunfermline controlled most of that game and made them look very ordinary.
    That's because they are ordinary. On paper there isn't much between Celtic and Rangers atm. Next season will be a lot different though. You can't underestimate the difference a new midfield is going to make to the team.

Don't bin your runners-up medals yet Eirebear - you might still need them for next season. Rangers honeymoon period with Smith seems to have ended a bit abruptly...
    It ended in perfect timing if you ask me.... means that a certain Mr Murray cant sit back and spend nothing on a Team that needs a lot of work.:D
    That's because they are ordinary. On paper there isn't much between Celtic and Rangers atm. Next season will be a lot different though. You can't underestimate the difference a new midfield is going to make to the team.

I think you putting far too much emphasis on brown mate, sure hes a damn good player, but hes got a lot to learn. not to mention the added pressure of playing for Celtic.

Nope, he's a class act. ;) Anyway, forget Brown. Replacing Lennon with an intelligent deep lying playmaker could turn this average team into a very, very good team. I was watching Naka on Saturday, as usual, and I've never seen him so frustrated with the lack of movement from his teammates. They're nowhere near his wavelength. The new midfield hopefully will be.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Nope, he's a class act. ;) Anyway, forget Brown. Replacing Lennon with an intelligent deep lying playmaker could turn this average team into a very, very good team. I was watching Naka on Saturday, as usual, and I've never seen him so frustrated with the lack of movement from his teammates. They're nowhere near his wavelength. The new midfield hopefully will be.

You mean replacing lennon with someone actually intelligent...or someone more intelligent than him? Ach nah thats too easy :D
    Anyway, i dont think rangers have been linked with anyone of that description, so how is Strachan gonna know about his availability? :D

Great to see the man himself listed in the same breath as some world class players.
    Ronaldinho the FIFPro world player of the year in 2006 has launched the voting for the 2007 award casting his vote in Barcelona today.

Barcelona’s Brazilian superstar talked at the launch about the players that impressed him this season such as his Barcelona team-mate, Argentinean winger Lionel Messi, Brazilian team mates Kaka and UEFA cup winner Sevilla’s Daniel Alves. He also praised his Spanish rivals Real Madrid’s Dutch International striker Ruud van Nistelrooy. Liverpool Captain Steven Gerrard, English Players’ Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo and FA Cup Final winning Chelsea goal scorer Didier Drogba were also singled out for praise.

Ronaldinho emphasised that the FIFPro award is the one the players want to win as it is voted for by his fellow professionals. 57,500 players around the world are represented by FIFPro (Fédération Internationale des FootballeursProfessionels) the World Players’ Union. He commented: “It is a special award. Players are the ones who understand football. They are the ones who play against you or who have the living experience of the game. This is why I consider it one of the most significant prizes there is.”

English clubs have had a strong season and Brazil face England at Wembley on Friday (June1). Who are the players in England that have impressed the brilliant Brazilian? “All the players involved with the England national team are great footballers, players with a lot of individual quality. The English club teams have also been very strong. I watch the league there and I see only strong sides with two or three outstanding individuals in each one, all of them in contention for the award.”

The Brazilian World Cup winner went on to say: “Cristiano Ronaldo is a great player. Very young, but with a style of playing that I really love. For me, he is one of the players who has been in the best form recently. Also, Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard is for me, in the position he plays, one of the very best in the world. He has a huge impact. For the job he performs, for me, he is one of the greatest.”
    Asked if any of his Barcelona team-mates are in with a chance of being FIFPro’s number one world player, Ronaldinho comments: “They all have a chance as far as I’m concerned. First, because they are all my friends and I play here in a great team.”

With teammate Leo Messi in the running for FIFPro’s Young Player of the Year, what does he think of his young colleague? “Leo is doing very well right now, growing with every game he plays, with every new month. I hope he wins many prizes because he is a great, great football player.”

Milan’s Kaka is another player who has had an outstanding season. What were his thoughts on his Brazilian international teammate? Ronaldinho was full of praise. “He is in brilliant form now. It is a real joy for me to see him in such form. I think he has improved and I certainly see a better player every year I see him. I see him very determined and in exceptional form. Every year that goes by he is learning more and more.”

Fellow Brazilian, Sevilla’s Dani Alves is another player who has impressed Ronaldinho. “He is a player I actually knew from a long way back in Brazil. I followed what he was doing in the national junior squads. Now he is here in Spain he is doing better and better and his game has taken on more aspects. I am very pleased for him.”

Ronadinho talking about the highly competitive Spanish league season? “We (Barcelona) had the chances to be very well placed and we have let important points slip away. Real Madrid have some very big players, Sevilla have big players, so do Valencia and Zaragoza. In all of those teams there are individuals in very good form. But we are up there fighting, too. I think in each of the sides there are two or three players with a lot of quality and that is what is going to help in the battle for the title.”

Ruud van Nistelrooy, the Dutch player playing for Barcelona’s great rivals, Real Madrid, has also impressed Ronaldinho. “He’s a terrific striker with great ability to score goals. He has always proved that and is doing so again now. He has adapted well and is in great form.”

He also had praise for three African strikers have also excelled this season and with Didier Drogba, Freddie Kanoute and Samuel Eto’o all impressing. Ronaldinho comments: “Drogba, Kanoute and Eto’o are all feeling really confident. All have settled well into their teams and all are doing well. It has been a good year for them.”

Glasgow Celtic’s Japanese star and Scotland’s Professional Footballers’ Association Player of The Year Shunsuke Nakamura is another player who has impressed Ronaldinho. “He is actually a player I know very well. I have played against him at many big events like the Olympics and in the Confederation Cup, so I have always followed his career. He used to have a great partnership with Nakata and they are both players I like a lot, with great quality”

The Brazilian keeps up with football from all around the world. He commented: “I like to watch football from all the other leagues, partly because I have a lot of friends playing in all parts of the world so I am always watching how things are working out for my friends in all corners of the world.”

Finally, is it going to be difficult to choose the FIFPro Player of The Year? “It is going to be very hard indeed. There are so many good players all over the world, players of great quality. So, it has to be hard making the decisions.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

holy moly.....

Im sorry but i just cant see how he can possibly have his name uttered in the same sentence as Kaka, Ronaldinho, Drogba, Laudrup and Gascoigne.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

have to say i enjoy reading this thread as much as any on Boards, i'm blown away with how nice ye all are to eachother on it! Considering the rivallries in Scotland are among the fiercest in the world, it restores my faith in humanity to see ye all get on so well in this thread . . . . .

if only us Liverpool and UTD fans could follow your example!

PS, also cracks me up how much Eirebhoy is obsessed with Naka!
    :)

• Advertisement

Well again you know my thoughts on Naka. In terms of technical ability he's up there with Pirlo. In terms of intelligence he's up there with Pirlo. In fact he's like a left footed clone of Pirlo.

Pirlo's slow, Pirlo's weak, Pirlo doesn't offer too much off the ball. In fact because of the position he plays Pirlo doesn't score or set up many goals at all. You'd have to ask what he does offer. Great positional sense, decision making, passing ability... He sets the tempo of Milan's play and is arguably the most infleuntial player in their team.

Like Naka, though, Pirlo won't be able to do a lot if Milan haven't got possession. He wouldn't be much more effective than Naka if he was playing on the left wing for Celtic. Just like Naka he could be easily marked and just like Naka he'd be relying on his teammates to get the ball to him.

My view on Naka is honestly not clouded by bias. There's very few Celtic fans that rate Naka as highly as me but the I tend to trust the judgement of the one's that do rate him highly. ;)

A 14 year old probably wouldn't have a clue how good Naka is.
    Pro's and ex-pro's know how good he is.

Who would you believe? :)

Strachan rates him as the most technically gifted player he has ever played with or worked with. He also reckons he's a genius in terms of intelligience. As does Liam Brady, Ruud Gullit and people that know their stuff.

Seville were in for him last summer. They actually agreed a friendly in Japan in case he did sign. This summer I've no doubt some of the best teams in the world will be in for him. If Gordon Strachan took over at Barcelona tomorrow I bet he'd be the first player he'd try to sign.

I'll do whatever I can for Naka to get the credit he deserves. Most will think I overrate him but I certainly don't. :) In terms of goals and assists he's replaceable. There's very little chance of us ever get a player of his technical ability and intelligence at Celtic any time soon though. It depends how much you appreciate intelligence. I believe the difference between Thomas Gravesen and Roy Keane is intelligence.

I suppose you could call it an obsession. :D;)

Just to add to the above. Despite my clone comment I wouldn't go as far as to say he's as good as Pirlo. :) His best position is definitely as a deep lying playmaker though. I just wish Strachan would play him there but he has very little chance to experiment with it. I don't think we'll ever know one way or the other how good he actually is though unless he's playing with the likes of Gattuso, Seedorf and Kaka. I'm just pretty sure Pirlo would not be doing much better than Naka on the wing for Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ha ha ha top stuff Eirebhoy!

Yea Naka is a good player alright, to be honest, i'm not sure he's as good as you think he is, but sure time will tell! I'd say you's should be able to keep hold of him this summer, you not think?

Well I'd say there'll be a few tempting bids but Strachan won't sell him unless it's an offer he can't refuse. Like Jol with Carrick, he doesn't have to sell him.

I'm still unsure of Naka, as you well know, but i do reckon he'll still be a celtic player come the new season, although if spurs do come in with a proposed 7 million, who knows, he may be hard to hold onto at that price.

I see we've supposedly signed 18 year old cypriot Efra from Arsenal, dont know a thing about him probably another "1 for the future".
    Not that thats a bad thing, add him alongside youngsters like Furman, lennon, Lowing and co. we could have a cracking side in a few years.....mind you...when has it ever really worked out that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Eirebear wrote:
    I'm still unsure of Naka, as you well know

:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

????? Is that a serious statement?

I can only assume you found him in bed with your sister/mother/girlfriend/brother/all of the above??

How could anyone be "unsure" of one of the most gifted players on these islands?

• Advertisement

GreenHorn wrote:
    :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

????? Is that a serious statement?

I can only assume you found him in bed with your sister/mother/girlfriend/brother/all of the above??

How could anyone be "unsure" of one of the most gifted players on these islands?

its a perfectly serious statement mate.
    Of course he's a very technically gifted player, no one is denying that, but his consistency for me is a big problem.
    He doesnt generally show up for the smaller games, especially away from home, leaving his better performances for the showpiece games.
    Eirebhoy reckons this is down to the players around him, which may be a very good point, but surely that makes him a "luxury" player, which neither Celtic or Rangers can afford to have in their team, unless things are going fantastically well for them.

Watch when celtic are put under a bit of pressure and see how his performances hold up then, i may be wrong when that time comes, but at the moment i see him becoming another "moody foreigner" if celtic dont get it as easily next year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote:
    its a perfectly serious statement mate.
    Of course he's a very technically gifted player, no one is denying that, but his consistency for me is a big problem.
    He doesnt generally show up for the smaller games, especially away from home, leaving his better performances for the showpiece games.
    Eirebhoy reckons this is down to the players around him, which may be a very good point, but surely that makes him a "luxury" player, which neither Celtic or Rangers can afford to have in their team, unless things are going fantastically well for them.

Watch when celtic are put under a bit of pressure and see how his performances hold up then, i may be wrong when that time comes, but at the moment i see him becoming another "moody foreigner" if celtic dont get it as easily next year.

I disagree with that totally. If you want to see inconsistent, see Gravesen and Jarosik who have been two (expensive in SPL terms) very disappointing players this season. Hopefully both will be punted for next season.

He most definitely is not a luxury player. He's an integral core part of that team along with Boruc, and I will be truly gutted when he leaves, which he will no doubt at some point. He'll be even more integral next season when he has midfielders he can play with. Hopefully we have Naka wrapped up for next season anyway, Boruc I'm not so sure about.

As for who can afford what - Rangers spent the big money a few years back, I think we're in a period of Celtic spending big at the moment. I'm also confident that the Celtic board will do it carefully unlike how Rangers spent... see Tore André Flo. ;)

PauloMN wrote:
    I disagree with that totally. If you want to see inconsistent, see Gravesen and Jarosik who have been two (expensive in SPL terms) very disappointing players this season. Hopefully both will be punted for next season.

He most definitely is not a luxury player. He's an integral core part of that team along with Boruc, and I will be truly gutted when he leaves, which he will no doubt at some point. He'll be even more integral next season when he has midfielders he can play with. Hopefully we have Naka wrapped up for next season anyway, Boruc I'm not so sure about.

As for who can afford what - Rangers spent the big money a few years back, I think we're in a period of Celtic spending big at the moment. I'm also confident that the Celtic board will do it carefully unlike how Rangers spent... see Tore André Flo. ;)

I'll disagree with you there...gravesen and jarosik have been very consistent...... ;)
    How can he be a core part of the team if the players around him, as stated by yourself and Eirebhoy, are not on the same wavelength as him?
    This is why i see him as a luxury player.

As for affording players, in monetary terms, yes your right, but that wasnt what i was getting at.
    You know as well as i do that your only three games away from a crisis in Glasgow, when the pressures on, can you afford to have a player who is so far ahead (or at least so very different minded) from the rest of your team, that he doesnt fit in when the going gets tough?
    I can see naka becoming a scapegoat.

Eirebear you've really got Naka completely wrong as a person more than a player. He gives all he can in every game. Runs more than probably 90% of players in Europe. He'll never slack off when it comes to helping out the right back. And he's one of the biggest team players at Celtic, not a moody foreigner. :)

If he's a luxury player by your definition then Frank Lampard is even more so.

The only way is up for him next season btw. ;) He did well to get player of the year in a struggling team. I can't wait to see him link up with decent midfielders next season. :) 1, the teammates will offer the movement he wants and he doesn't have to actually tell them where to run. 2, The opposition won't be able to put as many resources into marking the wide men and leave the new central midfield free. 3, the new midfield will hopefully be able to dominate a match away to Falkirk where the current team fails.

have to say i enjoy reading this thread as much as any on Boards, i'm blown away with how nice ye all are to eachother on it! Considering the rivallries in Scotland are among the fiercest in the world, it restores my faith in humanity to see ye all get on so well in this thread . . . . .

if only us Liverpool and UTD fans could follow your example!

Id like to put forward a theory as to why that is mate - essentially the two Rangers fans you see posting here are living in Ireland - me in Dublin, Eirebear in Donegal.... so we are a slightly different breed to our counterparts back home in Glasgow.

Secondly - when i started posting on this thread it was essentially because i missed the banter. I saw that this was a fairly active thread and so, without popping my head too far out of the parapet I noticed that we didnt see much of the bile on here that you would normally find on a Celtic or Rangers forum where they are free to be as bigoted as they like. I enjoy discussion as opposed to rubbing someones face in the dirt. Obviously the guys in here are the same id say... besides - theres enough contempt back home...why introduce it here? :)

Now as for Nacker...er Naka! I think he will be a top player for yous next season for sure if he can stay interested...he has to my mind a better player alongside him now in Brown and that can only help as long as they both click! He does need a striker who is as intelligent to read where the ball needs to go and where the striker needs to be to receive it - thats clear... but will GS get one? JVOH needs a friend id say, to continue the Celtic way - Sutton, Larsson, Fatman from Wales.... etc

But im still of the opinion that Naka will only play as well as the team around him next season and if that team is put under pressure - as the team stands right this minute - i think they will crumble a little. Without going back into the OF derbies, if they couldnt raise themselves for it then theres something wrong - and if they DID raise themselves for it (and i like to think they did) then theres still something clearly wrong for yous and Naka couldnt make a damned bit of difference to either of those games.

The league will be won on OF games i reckon - and away games to Inverness. Its my opinion Naka will only be as strong and as good as the team around him to that point - and this is why Rangers will SURELY snatch the title back to where it belongs hehe.... muahaha!!! :cool:

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Eirebear you've really got Naka completely wrong as a person more than a player. He gives all he can in every game. Runs more than probably 90% of players in Europe. He'll never slack off when it comes to helping out the right back. And he's one of the biggest team players at Celtic, not a moody foreigner. :)

If he's a luxury player by your definition then Frank Lampard is even more so.

The only way is up for him next season btw. ;) He did well to get player of the year in a struggling team. I can't wait to see him link up with decent midfielders next season. :) 1, the teammates will offer the movement he wants and he doesn't have to actually tell them where to run. 2, The opposition won't be able to put as many resources into marking the wide men and leave the new central midfield free. 3, the new midfield will hopefully be able to dominate a match away to Falkirk where the current team fails.
    Maybe so, If your right about him then you will have a cracking player on your hands, i just really cant see it panning out that way TBH...but maybe thats just wishful thinking ;)

On the other hand, you certainly have high hopes for strachans signings this year donthca!? ;)
    Dont want to worry you too much, but remember the excitement over Gravesen and Jarosik last year?
    Could lightning strike twice?

In fact lets have a look at Gordons signing shall we? ;)

Artur Boruc Cracking Keeper. Bit of an Idiot, but thats not his fault.
    Maciej Zurawski What happened to this guy? Did he play at all this season?
    Paul Telfer Done alright las year, short term though
    Dion Dublin Ahem...nothing to do with shirt sales there eh?
    Roy Keane See Dion Dublin
    Adam Virgo :D
    Du Wei :D:D:D:D
    Shunsuke Nakamura Fair enough hes done well
    Mo Camara See Adam Virgo
    Mark Wilson Done ok as a squad player, but not really hit the heights
    Lee Naylor Done fairly well, cant argue with his form this year (should have walked for punching novo in the last old firm!)
    Gary Caldwell Again, not really hit the heights in a weak defence.
    Kenny Miller No Comment
    Evander Sno Looks good in patches, but VERY erratic
    Derek Riordan Cracking player, does well when he Plays why doesnt strachan play him?
    Jiri Jarosik Better than Gravesen is about the best i can say for him
    Thomas Gravesen Lumbering Animal who is two yards off the pace now
    Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink Good striker, too much time in the treatment room though
    Steven Pressley Too slow nowadays, short term buy
    Jean-Noel Perrier Doumbe Looks good
    Mark Brown Sub keeper, wasnt good enough for rangers
    Paul Hartley Surprised me so far this season by doing absolutely nothing!

Thats 22 players and 3 very good signings in JVoH Nakamura and Boruc, other than that a few get passmarks but the majority havnt lived up to the billing.
    So wheres your confidence coming from this year?

I agree with some of those appraisals, now give us the Rangers list (including the Le Guen era :-) )! Sebo, Sionko et al.!

I'll disregard the el-cheapo signings - the real problem is when "big money" (I'm always speaking in SPL terms here :-) ) signings fail to deliver. Gravesen can play and I've seen him play very well, the problem is I've seen him play badly as much or more than he's played well. In fact not just badly, but brutal. Jarosik similar but not as bad - still nowhere near good enough.

Naka and Boruc have obviously excelled - I'll let Eirebhoy tell you all about Naka. :D JVoH has been good - no more than good - I know there's better in him and injuries have wreaked havoc with his season.

Hartley I agree has been a let-down so far, but I guess it's still early days. Always impressed me with Hearts, dunno why the slow start with Celtic.

Zurawski - don't know what's happened there, lots of injuries as well, but hasn't made it back into the squad. Seemed to fade away after the World Cup.

Miller - a striker who can't finish is like a hammer without a head. I hope we get rid of him. Much as I like the guy's workrate etc., he's gotten way too many chances. Riordan should get more of his chances.

Naylor -great signing, delighted with him - got tired at the end of the season, but great overall.

Sno - he's young, happy enough with him and think he'll get better.

Caldwell/Elvis - hmmm.... dunno. Just dunno.

The Telfinator - got an awful time from some "fans" - I thought he was pretty good, especially towards the end actually.

Doumbe - liked what I've seen so far. I hope he gets a deal of some sort.

Wilson - looked good, then got injured, injured, injured and injured again! :rolleyes:

Mark Brown - don't think he'll ever be a #1 choice, decent enough backup.

Keane - it's as important to make good signings from a marketing point of view as anything else. Keano was a good example of this.

odonnell wrote:
    But im still of the opinion that Naka will only play as well as the team around him next season
    Couldn't agree more.
    Eirebear wrote:
    On the other hand, you certainly have high hopes for strachans signings this year donthca!? ;)
    Dont want to worry you too much, but remember the excitement over Gravesen and Jarosik last year?
    Could lightning strike twice?
    I really think he'll get it spot on this summer. He has been waxing lyrical about the work the scouts have been doing, saying he has the most comprehensive list of players he's ever seen. Obviously he'll rate those players in terms of priority and I trust him 100%.

The Gravesen signing was based on the form he showed at Everton. Who wouldn't have signed him? :) He wasn't scouted like the current targets will have been. Jarosik was signed for £1m plus a friendly in Stamford Bridge, again most managers would have taken him. He was once the best player in Russia. He's just a lazy bugger and not suited to the SPL.

Last season we needed a striker to partner Jan, we got one. Unfortunately Zurawski hasn't been the same player since.
    The midfield didn't need much work. Maloney, Naka, Petrov and Lennon was the midfield. Lenny maybe needed to be phased out. Gravesen and Jarosik were brought in but failed.

This season we need a striker to partner Jan. As long as Jan doesn't go off the boil we should be fine up front next season. I trust him to bring in a quality striker for £3-4m. A replacement for Lenny is needed too and again I trust Strachan and his staff to have spotted the right players. Maybe he'll try to get Koumas in as well to play in McGeady's position, if he has enough money.

All I'm worried about is the defence. The rest of the team will be stronger than ever imo.

Did you know... In Strachan's 5 years at Coventry he made a profit of £26m on players he bought himself? ;)

I agree with some of those appraisals, now give us the Rangers list (including the Le Guen era :-) )! Sebo, Sionko et al.!

Theres a reason why Le Guen aint here anymore! ;)
    Only papac is getting pass marks after a terrible start to his gers career.

Cant really argue with smiths signings so far, he came in and steadied the defence, we'll see what happens close season.

Koumas close to Celts switch

CELTIC will make a £4million offer for Jason Koumas after West Brom failed in their bid to win promotion to the Premiership.

Hoops boss Gordon Strachan is a big fan of the Welsh international and wants to team him up with fellow new boy Scott Brown in the Champions League next season.

Strachan has instructed chief executive Peter Lawwell to do all he can to try and land the 27-year-old, who is set to spark a bidding war with Premiership sides Blackburn, Aston Villa and Sunderland also set to scrap it out for his signature.

Celtic knew their chances of landing Koumas would have been all but killed off if West Brom had won promotion, but their defeat by Derby in the play-off final on Monday has condemned them to another season in the Championship.

West Brom manager Tony Mowbray wants to keep his star player but the Welshman has admitted he wants to play at the highest level possible and is ready to consider his future.

Koumas said: "I've got a big game for Wales at the weekend and I'll have a nice break after that and sit down in the summer and see what happens.

"Everyone wants to play Premiership football and I was really confident going into this game that I could do it.

"We had the chance and we didn't take it and it feels like it's been a waste of a season."

Celtic have also signed Scott McDonald in a £650,000 deal from Motherwell and Strachan is on the lookout for another big-name striker, an experienced keeper and a midfielder.

Borussia Dortmund hitman Alexander Frei remains the top target for the front position, while out-of-contract Hibs ace Chris Killen is also on the radar, although Cardiff have already made him a firm offer.

Celtic are also interested in Brazilian playmaker Mozart and could move if they fail to land Koumas.

© 2007 Express Newspapers
    The Daily Express
    I'd definitely like to see Koumas join. The perfect replacement for Maloney.

He's not a player that excites me too much TBH, a decent player but i wouldnt be too worried about facing him next season.
    Very much like brown at times also, not sure how well they'd compliment eachother.

I doubt he'd be signing Koumas to be playing in the centre. If Koumas was signed the midfield would be something like:

Koumas---Brown---Appiah;)---Naka

I can dream. Jesus that midfield would destroy the SPL.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I doubt he'd be signing Koumas to be playing in the centre. If Koumas was signed the midfield would be something like:

Koumas---Brown---Appiah;)---Naka

I can dream. Jesus that midfield would destroy the SPL.

Wake up Eirebhoy! :D

i see it more like

McGeady--- Brown--- Koumas--- Naka

Up against

Hemdani
    Thompson Fergie Adam

I'd take my chances even before brining in any players to be honest

:) No chance Strachan would play Koumas in the centre of a 4-4-2.

See Bellamy in his favourite pub in Belfast:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chJcv5ysaTo

I don't know much about him but he looked good in the Derby game on Monday.

Not sure it would be the best move though. From what he has said, he wants Premiership action, and I'm not sure even the lure of Champions League would bring him to Celtic. If it did, I wonder would he stick around for long? Nothing worse than players floating in and out in one season.

I think I'd prefer to spend £4m elsewhere to be honest.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    :) No chance Strachan would play Koumas in the centre of a 4-4-2.

See Bellamy in his favourite pub in Belfast:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chJcv5ysaTo

i really dont see him as a wide man in that formation either though, wouldnt spend 4 million on him...got to agree with paul on this one.

as for bellamy i see you described him as having "caught the celtic bug"..... That would explain a thing or two about his looks!

Eirebear wrote:
    i really dont see him as a wide man in that formation either though
    That's the position he plays for West Brom most of the time. Like Maloney and Naka with the freedom to drift inside. If he was signed for Celtic I'm 99% he'd be playing on the left. Anyway, I trust Strachan's judgement. He's seen enough of him.
    Eirebear wrote:
    as for bellamy i see you described him as having "caught the celtic bug"..... That would explain a thing or two about his looks!
    :D

eirebhoy wrote:
    That's the position he plays for West Brom most of the time. Like Maloney and Naka with the freedom to drift inside. If he was signed for Celtic I'm 99% he'd be playing on the left. Anyway, I trust Strachan's judgement. He's seen enough of him.

Obviously thats what strachans payed for, im not so sure though.

he's left sided in the way that Adam, or Thompson are left sided, most of their attacking play comes through the middle. I'm guessing he's a left footer(a lot of glasgow connotations there! :)) and thats why he plays on the left.

It would narrow celtics attacking options a lot, especially against teams in Scotland who play with 10 behind the ball.
    Add to that the fact that mcgeady, like all wingers, is a confidence player, leaving him on the bench for Koumas could see a dramatic drop in his form, meaning that when celtic try to use him for that width, he wont be able to apply it.
    I'm not averse to celtic paying 4 million for him :)

Eirebear wrote:
    Obviously thats what strachans payed for, im not so sure though.

he's left sided in the way that Adam, or Thompson are left sided, most of their attacking play comes through the middle. I'm guessing he's a left footer(a lot of glasgow connotations there! :)) and thats why he plays on the left.
    He's a right footer which is why he'd be playing on the left for us. :) Have you not sussed Strachan's sytem after 2 years? ;) He don't like wingers.

Chris Killen is joining Celtic. "meh" is the first thing that comes into my head. He'll be signed as back up to Vennegoor. I wouldn't have signed any back up for Jan tbh as I'm not a fan of rotating. If he got injured we'd survive with 2 small men up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Eirebear wrote:
    Kenny Miller No Comment
    Derek Riordan Cracking player, does well when he Plays why doesnt strachan play him?

Miller is indeed totally Pish. How he gets a game ahead of Riordan I really don't understand. I am biased mind, but I do truly think Riordan deserves his place ahead of Miller.

As for Killen joining Celtic, Killen is quite brittle - I'd be surprised if he gets more that 3 games before picking up an injury. Not a bad goalscorer all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

Help Naka out poll on right hand side.

http://www.fifa.com/en/news/index.html

Cant believe Park is number 1 :mad:

Hoops1888 wrote:
    Help Naka out poll on right hand side.

http://www.fifa.com/en/news/index.html

Cant believe Park is number 1 :mad:

thats because on all the rangers forums theres a thread saying "Vote Park Ji Sung!" mate.....

That Killen move came out of the blue(birds) :) . Still, not a bad signing and free so assuming Miller and/or Beattie are shunted during the summer I think it's a good move.

Killen, McDonald and other such signings are always met with a certain discontent among some Celtic supporters, but something we've been lacking this season is goals - both Killen and McDonald can bang them in, and maybe even more so playing for the Bhoys. If we can get a couple of big money signings combined with bringing in the likes of Killen and McDonald I think we'll be doing well. We don't have a Premiership budget.

Now Gordon, just get me Bellamy and another decent midfielder and I'll be a happy bhoy! :D

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote:
    Killen, McDonald and other such signings are always met with a certain discontent among some Celtic supporters
    In this case they haven't really got a point. At the moment we have 1 target man and he plays if fit. Now we have 2. Unless they want a better player than Chris Killen to play 2nd fiddle to Jan which is not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

When's torres signing ;):D

Killens a decent player IMO, as blackjack says though, very injury prone.
    Not got a great disciplinary record either does he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Killen and McDonald are decent enough players. They certainly know where the back of the net is which makes them an improvement on KM for a start.

Mozart may well be the next signing; he's a former team mate of naka. Celtic are "sounding him out" according to skysports :D Hours of fun with puns to be had if he joins up. :D

Celtic are "sounding him out" according to skysports :D Hours of fun with puns to be had if he joins up. :D

That's music to my ears mate. :D (sorry!)
    Eirebear wrote:
    Not got a great disciplinary record either does he?

That's ok, we can afford to slip up a bit after topping the league in the "fair play" stakes. :D

McDonald will be playing in the Asian cup.

"There's been reports back in Scotland saying I won't be available for the Asian Cup but I don't know where they came from"

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21828886-2883,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

eirebhoy wrote:
    In this case they haven't really got a point. At the moment we have 1 target man and he plays if fit. Now we have 2. Unless they want a better player than Chris Killen to play 2nd fiddle to Jan which is not going to happen.

Maybe I'm not following something here but why can't Riordan be played as a Striker?. He's more than capable of a bunch of goals a season. Killen is good too, but I think he was a cheap (Bosman!) option. JVH, Riordan, Miller - who's mince by the way, Mcdonald (are there more?) - Celtic have a formidable enough front line for next year, if played correctly, no doubt.

apparently Celtic are now going after Robbie Fowler - so..... the amount of Rangers targets celtic have or are trying to have signed stands at...

Brown
    MacDonald
    Fowler

And we arent even into week 2 of close season yet.

Wee chesney is really startin to get on ma wick. And everyone wonders why Walter Smith is being so discreet!

odonnell wrote:
    apparently Celtic are now going after Robbie Fowler - so..... the amount of Rangers targets celtic have or are trying to have signed stands at...

Brown
    MacDonald
    Fowler

And we arent even into week 2 of close season yet.

Wee chesney is really startin to get on ma wick. And everyone wonders why Walter Smith is being so discreet!

Not Chesney's fault... get that tight miserable git Murray to cough up a few quid and you might get a player you want.

Anyway, there's no way McDonald would have gone to the huns.... the boy bleeds green and white! ;)

yeah i bet his heart bled green and white when he scored the goal that lost yaes the league in 04/05! hehe ;)

The boys a mercenary - same as the rest of that lot (said in seething tones of despair)

Chris Killen puts a few minds at rest:

"They've (Celtic) put one of their players on the transfer list. There's still another 5 or 6 strikers there but I've been told a few are going to be on their way out."

• Advertisement
Advertisement