Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brown is obviously the best signing of the summer, and I'd much rather have paid £4m for him than £2m for Thomson. Brown has already shown what he can do, and he's definitely going to change our midfield next season.

As for McDonald, I've said it before and I'll say it again - superb signing, and under-rated by all those "he's not Celtic class" types. I expect him to score plenty next season - I think Celtic will be a great platform for him to shine. Not only can he finish, but he can get himself into scoring positions.

Donati - excited by his Serie A experience and seems to have the right attitude, but I'm admittedly concerned by the unknown element, and how he'll fit into the SPL, based on what I've seen with the likes of Gravesen and Jarosik.

Killen - not hugely excited about his signing, but free and good backup for JVoH. Good tally last season, and anyone who scores on his debut away at Mordor deserves to be a Celt... :D I always thought he'd be a good backup striker even before any interest was shown by Celtic.

Good signings overall, and I reckon a couple more to come, possibly with a "big" signing included.

My concerns are getting another proven striker, and shedding Miller, Gravesen and Jarosik. Both Miller and Gravesen have had plenty of time to show us what they can do, and aside from flashes of brilliance, haven't been consistent in any shape or form. Much as I'd be sad to see them go, they have to go! I never saw what Jarosik brought to the team, maybe he has the talent buried somewhere, I don't think the SPL suits him though.

We won the league last season scoring a worryingly low tally of goals - given the improvements to midfield and hoping the new strikers perform (and possibly another new one), I think Celtic will do it again even with an improvement in Rangers.

I just want this CL qualifier out of the way now!!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Haven't seen any of the early pre-season games yet, and i don't take too much stock in them tbh, but they are a necessary build up, and getting the newbies integrated. That said, good too see a few goals been scored anyway compared to last pre-seasons blanks. Thats gotta be a good sign. Defo I'll make it my business to try and catch the last 2 friendlies against Newcastle and Parma to see how we're progressing.

The 14/15th and 28/29th of August are the biggest 2 days of the season for us imo. We'll have plenty more friendlies and 2 (should be) handyish SPL games against killie and falkirk under our belts at that stage. The CL 3rd round qualifier is the most important game of the season. Winning the SPL is a mere formality! (sorry Rangers lads, couldn't resist getting a dig in there ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

QUEENS PARK RANGERS… 1
    (St Aime 66)
    CELTIC… 5
    (Capone 22, S Brown 39, Vennegoor of Hesselink 54, 57, McDonald 74)

WEBSITE MAN OF THE MATCH: Scott Brown

CELTIC (4-4-2) Boruc; Wilson (Irvine 64), Kennedy, McManus, Naylor; Capone, S Brown (Hartley 70), Donati (Jarosik 70), McGeady (O’Brien 85); Vennegoor of Hesselink, Miller (McDonald 64).
    Subs: M Brown, Balde, Gravesen, Pressley, Caddis, Bjarnason.

I had Celtic backed as QPR hadn't played a pre-season game beforehand. Great result and I couldn't have picked better goalscorers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Was just a sea of green / white down here at Shepherd's Bush - nearly couldn't find the way to my flat! Everyone having a grand old time, good day for it too :)

I've just finished Strachan's updated autobiography and here he is repeating some of the things I've said about Naka throughout this thread. ;)

I have mentioned Shunsuke's skill elsewhere in this book, but in the context of Celtic's results and performances in my second season at Parkhead it is difficult to avoid doing so again. In the areas of touch and vision I would say he is the best player I have ever worked with or seen. The variations in creative play is remarkable. When he is on the ball he turns the game into an art form. Unfortunately, because of his comparatively understated style of play - he does not catch the eye in the physical combativenesses and aggression - I do not think his ability is applauded as much as it should be in Scotland.

After one great display in a League match, which prompted all the players to come in raving about him, I arranged for Gary Pendrey to let me have a tape of the game for my son Gavin. When Garry came in with it the following Monday he also handed me a newspaper and drew my attention to the marks Shunsuke had been given in its report of the match. 'You are not going to believe this.' Garry said. He was right - Shunsuke was one of the lowest-ranked players, with just four out of ten. We were gobsmacked.

You probably need to have played the game at a higher level to appreciate some of the things he does.

Yeh, I agree with Strachs setiments. I remember having a few arguments myself with other Celtic supporters about Naka. Lots of people just didnt rate him at all. "He's too lightweight, gets pushed off the ball to easy". Stuff like that they said. What about the great passing, great vision, great skill, great goals, I countered. Glad to see Naka got POTY, well deserved. Some Celtic fans haven't a clue. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

eirebhoy wrote:
    I had Celtic backed as QPR hadn't played a pre-season game beforehand. Great result and I couldn't have picked better goalscorers.

Great result indeed, especially as we're playing professional footballers in our pre-season.... eh Bears? :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote:
    Great result indeed, especially as we're playing professional footballers in our pre-season.... eh Bears? :D;)

We'll be fine paul, just quietly going about our business in a pre season schedule that served us well when Smith was in charge during 9 in a row.
    Building up fitness and communication nicely before throwing the new guys in against better opposition, we'll se how they get on against hannover before Chelsea and Ajax come visiting! :D

• Advertisement

Vietnam 1-4 Japan

Naka's Goal
    Naka's Assist

If anyone's up and wants to watch a perfect stream of the MLS Allstars game.

[url]mms://a1583.l2047353582.c20473.g.lm.akamaistre am.net/D/1583/20473/v0001/reflector:53582[/url]

I watched the first half before going to bed. The MLS were excellent. Celtic were very poor. At least our poor defence was shown up. I've never been happy with it.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I watched the first half before going to bed. The MLS were excellent. Celtic were very poor. At least our poor defence was shown up. I've never been happy with it.

Who played in defence? How was midfield, was Brown or Donati playing?

Celtic's defence is average at best, but if midfield play badly it just makes things 10 times worse.

I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of transfer activity with regard to defenders I must say. Wish they'd stop looking at midfielders and bring in a quality striker and a defender or two. How many midfielders do we need? I actually think we're pretty strong in that dept. for next season what with Naka, Donati, Brown, McGeady etc. and the likes of Gravesen, Sno, Riordan, Bjarnason, Hartley etc. to bring in as required.

On a related note, I see Balde wants to stick about rather than move to Sund-ireland. Keane allegedly offered £1.5m for him which I'd gladly take if he was interested in moving. If the reported salaries are right, him and Gravesen are taking the guts of £80k in salary between them per week which is shocking considering neither of them are getting a game, and probably won't in the coming season either.

Wish we'd shed some players... :(

Jeez, it's been like a ghost town in here, is it something I said? :)

Anyway, just a reminder - Newcastle v Celtic friendly is live on Setanta 1 tonight, 7.45pm for those interested. Setanta 2 are showing Dundee Utd v Barcelona.

PauloMN wrote:
    Jeez, it's been like a ghost town in here, is it something I said? :)

Anyway, just a reminder - Newcastle v Celtic friendly is live on Setanta 1 tonight, 7.45pm for those interested. Setanta 2 are showing Dundee Utd v Barcelona.

Nah mate....were all just keeping quiet incase JC Darcheville takes offence to anything we say :)
    cant wait to see him and balde/graveson go at it this season!

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote:
    Nah mate....were all just keeping quiet incase JC Darcheville takes offence to anything we say :)
    cant wait to see him and balde/graveson go at it this season!

Darcheville will have to run up to the stand to have a go at those two - I'd say neither of them will be anywhere near the pitch! ;) Mind you, given how the defence is currently performing, maybe Balde is back in with a shout. :eek:

In other news :) , I see Boruc is out for a few games, possibly including the CL qualifier. This is bad news, I hope Brown is ready to step up to the plate. He does have a good record, but I felt he should have saved the 4th goal (hurts to even say that) that Newcastle scored.

As regards McGeady... I see he scored a good goal yesterday. I sometimes wonder would he make a better striker than a winger - don't get me wrong, I think he's a great winger, but sometimes I feel too much is asked of him.

Anyway, like Eirebhoy, I look forward to the return of Naka. No doubt that midfield will be our strong point this season, but (am I repeating myself?) we really need to beef up our defense. I'd take any good defender over a striker at this stage.

PauloMN wrote:
    Darcheville will have to run up to the stand to have a go at those two - I'd say neither of them will be anywhere near the pitch! ;) Mind you, given how the defence is currently performing, maybe Balde is back in with a shout. :eek:

Ha! and you think something like a stand would stop JCD?! :p I noticed we had John Smeaton on the pitch before the chelsea game, Smeaton JCD and Sebo....no wonder they were running scared ;)

Boruc is a big loss for you guys and if he does miss the CL qualifier it would make me very very nervous...... in saying that, im already very very nervous...roll on Tuesday!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Am i correct in thinking the champions league cash assigned to Rangers and Celtic gets split between the two? What i mean is - i first thought that Rangers and Celtic would both receive say, £Xm a game, £Xm for qualifying for the group stage, £Xm for competing in the group stage...and from there on £Xm for progression - but i was corrected in this a while ago in that its more like - both teams get a share of 'assigned cash' depending on who goes furthest, making it actually preferable for the OTHER team to go out, so your team gets the lions share of the cash assigned?

Not sure ive explained myself properly here but essentially im asking - if Rangers or Celtic go out and one of them remain IN the competition - would the remaining team get the remainder of the cash?

Sure i read it somewhere...

Anyway, this being the case - how can anyone wonder why we arent cheering for each others teams!!!?

Your right mate, the total TV money is split between all the teams from that country equally.
    So say Scotland is assigned 10 million of the TV money from the CL then both teams qualify meaning that they get 5 million each.

There is of course also money from UEFA in terms of qualification and wins/draws etc along with gate reciepts and the like, but the TV money is where its at.

Lets be honest here....could you ever want Celtic to win? Or could The lads here ever really want Rangers to win?

Right so thats that sort of cleared up but isnt there a situation where one of the two teams can take MORE than 50% of the pot depending on progression?

This is the real reason to want the other team to be thumped.

• Advertisement

odonnell wrote:
    Right so thats that sort of cleared up but isnt there a situation where one of the two teams can take MORE than 50% of the pot depending on progression?

This is the real reason to want the other team to be thumped.

Obviously if we were to make the last 16 while celtic flopped out in the group stages then we would take 50% of the group stage money and then our share of the next rounds TV money.

If we were both to go through then the same would happen again and so on and so on untill the first ever all scottish final where we beat them 3-0 thanks to a Sebo hat trick in the last five minutes...........

It could happen.;)

I see Eurosport ranks Celtic at 17. Not a hugely insightful article it has to be said, but interesting to see where we're perceived as being in the pecking order of European football.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02072007/58/champions-league-european-power-rankings.html

Naka, McDonald (suspended) and Boruc will miss the Killie game. Hope we're still strong enough to take the points!

Eirebear wrote:
    Obviously if we were to make the last 16 while celtic flopped out in the group stages then we would take 50% of the group stage money and then our share of the next rounds TV money.
    Haha, I think somebody is loosing their grip on reality. :p

Haha, I think somebody is loosing their grip on reality. :p

Reality is a liability at this time of year mate ;)
    I'll leave that untill the season begins properly....right now is the time for blind (and deaf) optimism! :D

To be honest, the only reason I would be absolutely gutted to see Rangers progress would be because of the impact on revenue for Celtic. Other than that, I don't really mind how Rangers do.

PauloMN wrote:
    To be honest, the only reason I would be absolutely gutted to see Rangers progress would be because of the impact on revenue for Celtic. Other than that, I don't really mind how Rangers do.

I'd agree with that statement (in reverse) as long as rangers are still in the competittion....if rangers are out, i want you lot crashing out with us! :p

odonnell wrote:
    Am i correct in thinking the champions league cash assigned to Rangers and Celtic gets split between the two? What i mean is - i first thought that Rangers and Celtic would both receive say, £Xm a game, £Xm for qualifying for the group stage, £Xm for competing in the group stage...and from there on £Xm for progression - but i was corrected in this a while ago in that its more like - both teams get a share of 'assigned cash' depending on who goes furthest, making it actually preferable for the OTHER team to go out, so your team gets the lions share of the cash assigned?

Not sure ive explained myself properly here but essentially im asking - if Rangers or Celtic go out and one of them remain IN the competition - would the remaining team get the remainder of the cash?

Sure i read it somewhere...

Anyway, this being the case - how can anyone wonder why we arent cheering for each others teams!!!?
    If both of us go through we'll get around £2.5m each in TV revenue. If one of team goes through they'd get about £4.5m in TV revenue. That's the only difference. Celtic made about £17m in total from the Champions league last season.

i think we should start an SPL scoreline prediction thread.... or something.

you know those pullouts you get in the daily record johnny? would be great to have everyone fill out the scorelines and see how the season ends.

of course.... thered be at least 4 controversial scorelines ;)

odonnell wrote:
    i think we should start an SPL scoreline prediction thread.... or something.

you know those pullouts you get in the daily record johnny? would be great to have everyone fill out the scorelines and see how the season ends.

of course.... thered be at least 4 controversial scorelines ;)

I'd be up for that, wouldnt be able to look after the first couple of months though in terms of keeping score because ill be busy with the move, getting internet set up etc.

Im sure i can locate a fixture list though if everyones up for it?

Something like this would be easier if they're doing it this season:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/predictor/

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Something like this would be easier if they're doing it this season:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/predictor/

Definetly a good idea if they get it up and running.

Wow.
    EXCLUSIVE Homesick hitman on way back
    By David Mccarthy

HOMESICK Shaun Maloney is set for a sensational return to Celtic just eight months after controversially quitting Parkhead for a crack at the Premiership.

Record Sport believes talks between the SPL champions and Maloney's club, Aston Villa, are at an advanced stage and the 24-year-old will return to Celtic in a £1million deal within the next week.

Maloney has sought assurances from friends in Glasgow that he will be welcomed back by Hoops fans Many supporters criticised the striker's decision to leave during the January transfer window. At the time, talks aimed at securing the Scotland attacker on a long-term contract failed and Celtic criticised the influence the player's agent, John Halliwell, had on his decision to move to Villa Park for £1m on the last day of the window.

Maloney has failed to settle in the Midlands and although he had teamed back up with his former manager at Celtic, Martin O'Neill, the little wideman found first-team chances restricted.

Maloney started just five games after his move, scoring once, and made it known he would consider coming back to Scotland.

Celtic were alerted to the situation and are now close to giving Maloney, who won the SPFA Player and Young Player of the Year Awards in 2006, another chance at Parkhead.

Celtic coach Tommy Burns, speaking after Maloney scored his first international goal in six appearances, against the Faroe Islands at the end of the season, claimed the player had left Scotland too soon.

Burns said: "Shaun decided to take the plunge and go for it. I think I would have stayed here until I was 25 or 26 and had had three or four good years like the season Shaun had the year before last.

"I think he basically went too soon. Kenny Dalglish is the perfect example for me.

He was 26, had played seven or eight years in Scotland, did everything he possibly could have, and then said he was ready for England."

Maloney might have gone too early in his career but it looks like he will be given a massive chance to rectify the mistake by the club that didn't want to lose him in the first place.

I'd certainly welcome him back. He's too good a player not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

if celtic do get Maloney back will affect the Naismith transfer which the bbc says they are looking to wrap up?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/k/kilmarnock/6926175.stm

Knowing Strachan he'd buy the 2 of them. He doesn't care too much about having a large squad. In saying that, players still have to be sold. I have a feeling he'll play 4-3-3 a lot next season. Donati, Brown and Naka in midfield. McGeady, Vennegoor, Maloney/Naismith the attacking trio.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Knowing Strachan he'd buy the 2 of them. He doesn't care too much about having a large squad. In saying that, players still have to be sold. I have a feeling he'll play 4-3-3 a lot next season. Donati, Brown and Naka in midfield. McGeady, Vennegoor, Maloney/Naismith the attacking trio.

*droll*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

*droll*
    droll?:rolleyes:

That midfield doesn't seem to have much bite - loads of creativity, but it does seem to lack bite.

Tauren wrote:

That midfield doesn't seem to have much bite - loads of creativity, but it does seem to lack bite.
    I think Brown and Donati are a good enough pairing off the ball. Donati's over 6 foot, has been playing the holding role for years and surely knows how to get stuck in. I think we're just used to the fact that technically superb players in Scotland are usually flair players. Brown is Brown. He won't be holding back. :)

Anyway, I think for once we shouldn't worry about being physically too weak for the SPL and go and pass these mediocre teams off the park. :D

Tauren wrote:

ha ha ooopps.i mean *drool* ;)
    anyway like eirebhoy says, im sure brown and donato will know when to put the boot in.

I'm really not sure about either of those two (Maloney or Naismith). Both good players, but Naismith really wants to play at Mordor (if the papers are to be believed, maybe it's bollocks) and Maloney left to play in the EPL.

Re. Naismith - call me a cynic, but if someone has always had their heart set on playing for bitter rivals, is it a good move to take them on especially when it'll cost £2m? Nothing against the lad, he's entitled to his preference, I just don't think we should shell out that sort of money just to get him out of Killie.

Re. Maloney - I can see the attraction alright, just has a bit of the Liam Millers about it. Thinking about it though, I'd have him playing in a shot over the likes of Kenny Miller and Riordan. Dunno, might be ok as long as he's moving for the right reasons.

• Advertisement

Venegoor
    Zurawski
    McDonald
    Killen
    Riordan

and possibly Maloney & Naismith?
    Am i Missing anyone?

Let the dressing room disharmony commence! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Eirebear wrote:
    Venegoor
    Zurawski
    McDonald
    Killen
    Riordan

and possibly Maloney & Naismith?
    Am i Missing anyone?

Let the dressing room disharmony commence! :p

kenny miller?
    i think riordan will be sold on.id say it will be one of maloney & naismith cant see celtic buying both.id go for maloney myself

yabadabado wrote:
    kenny miller?
    i think riordan will be sold on.id say it will be one of maloney & naismith cant see celtic buying both.id go for maloney myself

Christ how could i forget poor kenny eh?
    Seriously, i know riordan doesnt seem to get on with strachan....but hes the best out of that bunch by a country mile, i wont be sad to see him sold on!

According to Killie, Celtic agreed a fee for Naismith and were given permission to speak to him but they're delaying it. I think they might be waiting to see if Maloney joins. If not, they'll go for Naismith.

Tough CL draw eh? Well for us anyway, the currant buns get an easy one as always. :rolleyes:

PauloMN wrote:
    Tough CL draw eh? Well for us anyway, the currant buns get an easy one as always. :rolleyes:

i dont think red Star is an easy draw paul.
    granted theyre not the team they once were, but neither are we!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Think Celtic are dead unlucky here. Can see them having major difficulties getting through

Think Celtic are dead unlucky here. Can see them having major difficulties getting through

What do you care? You said on the other thread that Celtic and Rangers are ****.

The one thing we're lucky with is that we played 2nd leg at home. I know, I know...Artmedia. I just think if we were to play the 2nd leg over there we would have very little chance.

Eirebear wrote:
    i dont think red Star is an easy draw paul.
    granted theyre not the team they once were, but neither are we!

I'm just on the wind-up EB. I don't think Rangers have it easy if they face RSB, but we did get the worst draw of the lot I think. :(

I still think we can make it through, it's just one of those that is very uncertain. I'm glad we're away first though, at least we'll know what we have to do at home, and in CP anything is possible.

PauloMN wrote:
    I'm just on the wind-up EB. I don't think Rangers have it easy if they face RSB, but we did get the worst draw of the lot I think. :(

I still think we can make it through, it's just one of those that is very uncertain. I'm glad we're away first though, at least we'll know what we have to do at home, and in CP anything is possible.

i think that may be your downfall to be honest....when celtic use parkhead to their benefit it seems to be usually by giving the opposition a real fright when playing them at home first.

Either way though your right....it couldnt have got any harder for yous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement