Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote:
    <BANTER>
    What about leaving the Celtic thread where it is, and starting a new "other SPL diddy teams thread". :D
    </BANTER>

DucksForCover CSC. ;)

Ive always wondered why celtic had a thread apart from the rest of the Irish football threads :p

Hides behind paul loyal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

An understrength Celtic team, but with some notable names nonetheless, suffered a defeat last night. Paul McGowan looked the most eager on the Celtic team and netted twice. The 'big names' were strolling about at times, not in terms of controlling the game but in terms of effort put in, and Finn Harps deserved their scalp. Nine of the 1st team squad were in the starting 11, and Finn Harps used a lot of subs as well.
    First Division Finn Harps caused an upset as they deservedly defeated a Celtic XI in a highly entertaining friendly at Finn Park in Ballybofey. The Scottish visitors, who were managed by Willie McStay, included a number of high-profile players including Bobo Balde, Thomas Gravesen, Stephen Pressley and Evander Sno. Celtic's first chance fell to Evander Sno, but he blasted the ball over the target in the 11th minute - much to the delight of the Finn Park faithful.

Harps took the lead on 27 minutes when Celtic goalkeeper Scott Fox failed to hold a Shaun Holmes free and Declan Boyle - who once played for Celtic's reserves - pounced to score. Celtic were then stunned again within 60 seconds when Donegal born Gethins, who spend several seasons in the lower leagues of Scottish football, whipped in a right wing cross for Declan Divin to connect with as he slid into the six yard box. And Shaun McGowan then added a third to make it 3-0 after 42 minutes as he fired through a crowded penalty area after Gethin's initial shot was blocked.

Celtic pulled one back on 70 minutes with a cracking shot from the impressive Paul McGowan and 30 seconds later he headed in a Gravesen cross to set up a pulsating finish. With Gravesen dictating in midfield against a Harps side full of substitutes, Celtic piled on the pressure but Harps held on for a famous win over cross-channel opposition.

Finn Harps: Cullen, Roddy, Holmes, Boyle, McLaughlin, Shields, O'Loughlin, McGowan, Friel, Gethins, Divin.
    Subs: Cullen for Gallagher, Minnock for Roddy, Doherty for Holmes, Asokuh for Boyle, Havelin for McGowan, Funston for Shields, Brolly for Divin, McElwaine for Gethins (all 45 mins).

Celtic: Fox, Virgo, O'Dea, Caldwell, Pressley, Balde, Caddis, Sno, O'Brien, Gravesen, McGowan.
    Subs: Breen for Caddis, Conroy for O'Brien (both 58 mins), Ferry for Sno (76 mins).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Eirebear wrote:
    Ive always wondered why celtic had a thread apart from the rest of the Irish football threads :p

Hides behind paul loyal!
    Oh Dear no, we'd be getting lectures about the shame of the Scottish football supporter or something.

I forgot about the Finn harps game last night, was gonna go up with the camera but figured they were only gonna take a youth side.

Just shows how much deadwood celtic are actually carrying eh?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote:
    Just shows how much deadwood celtic are actually carrying eh?

I can't argue with that. Jarosik, Gravesen, Miller, Balde, Zurawski, Pressley and possibly Hartley are all questionable and haven't impressed of late.

I wouldn't let go of Sno, and I'd like to keep but PLAY Riordan. It'd be better for Riordan to go though if he's just going to sit on the bench every week, especially if Maloney comes back.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote:
    I can't argue with that. Jarosik, Gravesen, Miller, Balde, Zurawski, Pressley and possibly Hartley are all questionable and haven't impressed of late.

I wouldn't let go of Sno, and I'd like to keep but PLAY Riordan. It'd be better for Riordan to go though if he's just going to sit on the bench every week, especially if Maloney comes back.

I really dont understand the Riordan situation, what has he done to strachan?

Ive heard all the rumours about his cannabis smoking/ drinking before matches, but sureley if this is the case hes in breach of contract? celtic arent gonna keep paying someone and not pklay him on a point of principal, when they can move him on and bring in someone else.

I think sno could be a good midfielder, hes a little erratic yet but still young.
    I'm just dissapointed you never made pressley captain :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote:
    I really dont understand the Riordan situation, what has he done to strachan?

Ive heard all the rumours about his cannabis smoking/ drinking before matches, but sureley if this is the case hes in breach of contract? celtic arent gonna keep paying someone and not pklay him on a point of principal, when they can move him on and bring in someone else.

I think sno could be a good midfielder, hes a little erratic yet but still young.
    I'm just dissapointed you never made pressley captain :D

Who knows, lots of Celtic fans are very annoyed about it, but we only see a good player not playing. Strachan works with him on a daily basis and sees a lot more - have to give him the benefit of the doubt as to why he doesn't pick him when it seems like the obvious choice. There must be a reason.

I'm more concerned about why Kenny Miller started almost every game last season when he clearly has had trouble finding the net.

As regards Pressley - let's not even go there. :eek: :mad: If I were a paranoid sort, I'd think him and Miller were involved in a hun conspiracy... :D

Rangers through to next round, 1-0 courtesy of a beasley goal in the 80th minute.

Dull as hell game, Rangers set out there stall to defend....but Zeta didnt actually attack leading to lots of pretty passes from both sides and not much else.
    Beasley took his goal well though.

Rangers fans singing Cumbaya was a laugh though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Eirebear wrote:
    1992...marseille cheat their way to the European cup, Rangers go unbeaten in the group stages but lose out on goal difference to them. (back then the group stage consisted of 2 groups, the two winners going to the final).
    Bribing referees...opposition players coming down with food poisoning, lots of wierd **** going on.

They didnt bribe anyone in the CL.

kdjac

Oh yeah?
    Many...MANY reports since then say different.

Their massive (6-0 i think) win over a previously unbeaten CSKA moscow will always go down as one of the dodgiest results in footballing history, with a referee who was then embroiled in a bribery dispute in his home country, and a russian team who strangeley fell ill with "food poisoning"

Anwyay applehunter, how did your mate enjoy the east end of glasgow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Eirebear wrote:
    Oh yeah?
    Many...MANY reports since then say different.

Well the one that matters doesnt ie the LFP one
    . This involved a league game where Marseille, it emerged, had fixed their title-clinching Division 1 game against US Valenciennes so they could concentrate on the Milan tie. It is believed that Tapie bribed Valenciennes to lose so that Marseille would win the French league earlier, giving them more time to prepare for the Champions League final. This resulted in Marseille being stripped of their league title by the French Football Federation (although not the Champions League, as the match in question was not in that competition). They were also forcibly relegated to the second tier in the league, and banned from defending their title in Europe in the 1993-94 season.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

no, the investigation centered more on bribing teams, coaches, and refs within the french league to insure they had a fit team for champions league success.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Well the one that matters doesnt ie the LFP one

And they won the group by a point you had 8 they 9 (odd considering they played 6 games)

kdjac

Yep your right...if were talking about the french league.
    Uefa didnt investigate as it would tarnish the newly formed champions league, and the italians didnt push it.

Yep they won the group by a point, fair enough, ill give you that (and its not odd 2 points for a win in them days)

Eirebear wrote:
    Rangers through to next round, 1-0 courtesy of a beasley goal in the 80th minute.

Dull as hell game, Rangers set out there stall to defend....but Zeta didnt actually attack leading to lots of pretty passes from both sides and not much else.
    Beasley took his goal well though.

Rangers fans singing Cumbaya was a laugh though! :D

It's Irrelevant. Celtic and Rangers, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea shoudl not bother and concentrate on other competitions. Hearts are supposed to win the Champions League this year, as per their illustrious owner in October 2005. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Blackjack wrote:
    It's Irrelevant. Celtic and Rangers, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea shoudl not bother and concentrate on other competitions. Hearts are supposed to win the Champions League this year, as per their illustrious owner in October 2005. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Whats that blackjack? We cant hear you from this lofty position in europe....quit hiding behind the diddy cis cup and come out and say hello :p

Only jokin mate....of course hearts were gonna win the champions league.....Pfft kaunas couldnt even beat that mob we played tonight! What were their reserve team gonna do?!

Eirebear wrote:
    Whats that blackjack? We cant hear you from this lofty position in europe....quit hiding behind the diddy cis cup and come out and say hello :p

Only jokin mate....of course hearts were gonna win the champions league.....Pfft kaunas couldnt even beat that mob we played tonight! What were their reserve team gonna do?!

Unless they plough the money they're getting from Sunderland for Gordon back into the team (although their debt is now reputedly up around the 50Million mark) they're not going to be winning much at all this year if their performances against Barcelona and the mighty Hibees last night are anything to go by.

I can see the future, and it involves a new Tesco's down Gorgie road!.

Eirebear wrote:
    the diddy cis cup

And at least we have a Diddy cup from last year to hide behind!. ;)

Blackjack wrote:
    And at least we have a Diddy cup from last year to hide behind!. ;)

We didnae want it anyway mate ;)
    When do we play you next?

Eirebear wrote:
    We didnae want it anyway mate ;)
    When do we play you next?

Ha!. Ye played like ye didn't want anything last year!. ;)

6th October in the Weege is the next SPL fixture.

Blackjack wrote:
    Ha!. Ye played like ye didn't want anything last year!. ;)

6th October in the Weege is the next SPL fixture.

Looking forward to it.....always nice to see how collins and his six pack are doin ;)
    Do you get over for the games much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Blackjack wrote:
    Unless they plough the money they're getting from Sunderland for Gordon back into the team (although their debt is now reputedly up around the 50Million mark) they're not going to be winning much at all this year if their performances against Barcelona and the mighty Hibees last night are anything to go by.

I can see the future, and it involves a new Tesco's down Gorgie road!.
    Weren't Hearts without 5 or 6 first team players last night. I don't know if they class any of their players as first team players with the amount of changing that goes on. Kingston though is an excellent player. One of the best in the league.

Eirebear wrote:
    Looking forward to it.....always nice to see how collins and his six pack are doin ;)
    Do you get over for the games much?

Live off Leith Walk, soon to move though. Don't get to go to many games, keep an eye from elsewhere.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Weren't Hearts without 5 or 6 first team players last night. I don't know if they class any of their players as first team players with the amount of changing that goes on. Kingston though is an excellent player. One of the best in the league.

welcome back eirebhoy....did you find out who the mason in the black was? :p

Blackjack wrote:
    Live off Leith Walk, soon to move though. Don't get to go to many games, keep an eye from elsewhere.

well ill be back in glesga by that time so if your down and fancy a mini boards beers gimme a shout....same goes for yerselfs Eirebhoy and paul and ziggy....or anyone else for that matter
    O'donnell you can stay were you are...you get me in too much trouble ;)

Now now children, just because we were greedy and took the league and Scottish Cup, no need to argue among yourselves over the scraps... :D

£9m for Gordon eh? Good to see SPL players fetching that sort of money, but mad all the same. That'll probably pay for 22 new Hearts players from Kaunas, and Mad Vlad can put the remaining £8.5m in the bank. ;)

eirebhoy wrote:

5 that were on Loan from Kaunas left yesterday alright, but that was apparently due to them not wishing to sign some sort of Behaviour Clause Mad Vlad has imposed. Gordon was training (and negotiating) with Sunderland, Kingston was Suspended, for accusing a Ref of being Racist after he gave him a deserved yellow card. That said, Kingston is one of the best in the league, no question.

The only first team player that's still a first team player not playing last night was kingston, suspended for the Hibs and Aberdeen game.

Blackjack wrote:
    5 that were on Loan from Kaunas left yesterday alright, but that was apparently due to them not wishing to sign some sort of Behaviour Clause Mad Vlad has imposed. Gordon was training (and negotiating) with Sunderland, Kingston was Suspended, for accusing a Ref of being Racist after he gave him a deserved yellow card. That said, Kingston is one of the best in the league, no question.

The only first team player that's still a first team player not playing last night was kingston, suspended for the Hibs and Aberdeen game.
    Bednar, Aguair and Berra too. Pinilla is also out injured for a while. I think they'll get 3rd spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Eirebear wrote:
    well ill be back in glesga by that time so if your down and fancy a mini boards beers gimme a shout....same goes for yerselfs Eirebhoy and paul and ziggy....or anyone else for that matter
    O'donnell you can stay were you are...you get me in too much trouble ;)

its alright mate - i know where youd be if i need to find yae. :P

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Bednar, Aguair and Berra too. Pinilla is also out injured for a while. I think they'll get 3rd spot.

Ah Boo-Urns. They've so many from Kaunas dropping in and out of the squad it's impossible to be bothered keeping track.
    I still think they need to add something to their Squad if they want to challenge for 3rd spot.

they COULD go and strengthen their team to the same tune of the players Rangers have brought in so far with that money. So theoretically, they COULD be up there with the old firm this season.

Realistically though - will they?

I vwery much doubt it mate....romanov is bad news for that club...really bad news

Eirebear wrote:
    I vwery much doubt it mate....romanov is bad news for that club...really bad news

Bad news for SPL in general if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Falkirk 1 Celtic 4

Ropey first half from a bhoys point of view. Falkirk deservedly went 1-0 up, and it could have been more. Celtic improved dramatically in the 2nd half. Good to see Miller, and JVOH hitting the net, and of course Naka with one of his trademark frees.

The second half restored my faith in the bhoys. New bhoys Donati and Brown did well. I think we're in decent shape for the big one in Moscow in midweek. Certainly Celtic needed to win this one to give us confidence ahead of Europe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Celtic in the 2nd half were excellent. Great attempt by McGeady for the 2nd goal. Sending off looked a bit harsh athough it was definitely a foul therefore the sending off did not really change the course of the game.

• Advertisement

By about October I'm certain we'll be a joy to watch. I just hope we sign an experienced defender this window. Of all the defenders, Darren O'Dea is probably the best reader of the game which says it all.

eirebhoy wrote:
    By about October I'm certain we'll be a joy to watch. I just hope we sign an experienced defender this window. Of all the defenders, Darren O'Dea is probably the best reader of the game which says it all.

if your defence keeps going the way it is it could be too late by October ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Out of curiosity, why do Celtic have to qualify for the group stages? I thought the SPL were awarded an automatic place a season or two ago.

Out of curiosity, why do Celtic have to qualify for the group stages? I thought the SPL were awarded an automatic place a season or two ago.

It was lost again.....
    get it back next season though so it means Rangers will go straight in eh lads? ;)

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    Scott Brown, who is the best player Scotland has produced in 15-20 years IMO

Making him the best player born in scotland since 1987?

Fair enough :) Cos i dont know many 20 year olds better than him to be honest...

sorry but i couldnt, just COULDNT let it slip past hehe

in my own opinion, i honestly think barry ferguson is a better player than brown, and i dont say that as a bias rangers fan.

Pass for pass, and the vision required to make the passes and runs he does - i just cant see past Ferguson when it comes to the "best player to come out of scotland in 20 years" stakes mate.

Beyond Fergie theres not a great deal to choose from if we are talking about truly international class players. I think theres a lot of GOOD players like Thomson, Naismith, etc, but the only truly international class players i can see having emerged from Scotland in the last say 10-20 years are Barry Ferguson, Scott Brown, Craig Gordon (right now, current crop players), and if we want to go into players who are retired but were playing 20 years ago....then thats a whole other box of frogs because then we are getting into waters inhabited by the likes of Davie Cooper, Super Ally, Mojo, Roy Aitken, Richard Gough, Jim Leighton, Andy Goram x2, etc etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

john collins was quality.
    gary mcallister was also extremely talented. (did he start in scotland)

both are WAY better than ferguson in my opinion

not a chance mcallister was better than ferguson mate... not a chance.

unless you were watching the OTHER better gary mcallister who actually scored that penalty against england in a parallel universe? if so - aye he was great. As for collins.... pfft sorry, nope. Good player, could strike a free kick - but why was he better than ferguson? He could run on the bal, was super fit apparently... but - why better? Id rather say paul lambert was better than fergie, as i see him as having been better than collins.... but STILL dont believe lambert to be betterthan fergie.

Only midfielder to come out of Scotland apart from Davie Cooper to be better than Ferguson in my memory would (in my humble opinion) be Ian Durrant before Simpson had his moment of idiocy.

Collins would be a close call....McCallister wouldnae come close to lacing his boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

the fact ferguson couldnt in my opinion make any impact south of the border says it all for.

the fact ferguson couldnt in my opinion make any impact south of the border says it all for.
    Thats complete and utter nonsense...ferguson was the captain of his club, played week in week out untill he got what can only be described as a horror injury.

I'm not sure i completely agree with O'Donnell in terms of him being the best...but hes certainly better than mccallister ever could have been, and brown has a long way to go to prove himself before being mentioned in the same league as either collins or durrant pre-injury.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Was never a big fan of Collins myself, thought he hid when the chips were down TBH.

Could hit a mean free kick though couldn't he?:)

Aye... but was he as good as nakamura? ;)

My favourite John Collins quote came shortly after he signed for celtic (doing a bit of a scott brown in the proccess by knocking back Rangers) it went something like this
    "When Celtic came knocking i just couldnt say no....I came to this club to win trophies"
    Just what exactly was his trophy haul during that time?!?! I'm sure his record with hibs just about equals it! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement