Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Celtic67 wrote:
    (I am staying in Jury's on Jamaica Street).

Hopefully you won't have the same to55ers in the next room when you stay there as when I did. Had my wife with me also and we were awake until 3am listening to some gobsh1te singing "up the 'ra" etc. etc. in the next room. :mad:

Nice enough hotel for a bed to kip in like, but walls like paper. Take full advantage of the buffet breakfast mate. ;)

Did you book through Celtic Horizon? I think you're better off booking stuff separately yourself if you can, cheaper in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

eirebear worked there about as much as i did hehe....

Nice wee place, good music at nights, full of the celtic crowd, and not really the nasty type of crowd youll find down the gallowgate (remember goin into the tollbooth to watch the GAA johnny? ...pffff!!!)

i just thought id recommend the hotel the mrs. and i stayed in just off George Square when we went home for a break....comfy beds, big rooms, cheap prices, better walls: Premier Travel Inn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

odonnell wrote:
    eirebear worked there about as much as i did hehe....

Nice wee place, good music at nights, full of the celtic crowd, and not really the nasty type of crowd youll find down the gallowgate (remember goin into the tollbooth to watch the GAA johnny? ...pffff!!!)

i just thought id recommend the hotel the mrs. and i stayed in just off George Square when we went home for a break....comfy beds, big rooms, cheap prices, better walls: Premier Travel Inn

Ha! double shift the day/night of the uefa final in seville......do you realise what the psycological damage that dodne to me????

Dont have time to read through the Fergie debate right now, ill get back to you on it...

Well done sellik last night, i must say i was surprised how poor spartak looked in the first half, and that pitch was an absolute joke.
    Cracking goal by hartley though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I honestly think both you chaps are wannabe 'Tic fans. Living in Ireland, working in Celtic bars in Glasgow, posting on Celtic forums etc..

There is hope for you yet, don't fight it! As Celtic fans, we'd be happy to "convert" you from the Dark Side. Forget Mordor, welcome to Paradise! :D

I take it your not familiar with the line "If they go to Dublin we will follow on" Paul ?;)

Eirebear wrote:
    I take it your not familiar with the line "If they go to Dublin we will follow on" Paul ?;)

I am, I actually hum along to Follow Follow when I hear it (but don't tell anyone I said that). :o

Anyway, what's that got to do with you two being wannabe Tims? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

Cheers for the replies lads.
    Usually end up in the Garage or elsewhere on Sauciehall (spelling?) on Sat nights.
    I've stayed in Jurys numerous times, its basic enough bit does the trick

PauloMN wrote:
    I am, I actually hum along to Follow Follow when I hear it (but don't tell anyone I said that). :o

Anyway, what's that got to do with you two being wannabe Tims? ;)
    Aaaahhh! now we know where your loyalties really lie.... hehe :D

The garage *shudder* many a night i dont remember leaving that place.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Celtic67 wrote:
    Cheers for the replies lads.
    Usually end up in the Garage or elsewhere on Sauciehall (spelling?) on Sat nights.
    I've stayed in Jurys numerous times, its basic enough bit does the trick
    Think the Premier Travel Inn was mentioned above. Thats where I stay when I'm over too, its just around the corner from Sauchiehall street aswell. Perfect location, nice rooms, good value overall.

two wannabe tims?

i nearly choked on my fruit salad there but then.... when you read the list - live in dub, celtic forum, celtic bars.... etc

jaysus, what am i doing!!!????

• Advertisement

Lads, slightly off topic, but how the fook does one pronounce "Sauchiehall"?

Give it to me phonetically here, nice and simple like. :D

Fruit Salad........... You know what im thinking (cheesey baguette!) :p

Sauchiehall Street = Sock-ee-hall or Suck-ee-hall, either way is ak-sept-ab-l :D

aaaahahaha cheesey bagueeeettte (wiggles fingers under chin)

suckeehaw! suckeehaw! suckeehaw!

odonnell wrote:
    aaaahahaha cheesey bagueeeettte (wiggles fingers under chin)

suckeehaw! suckeehaw! suckeehaw!

I can just see you sittin at your desk doing all of that...including shouting suckehaw at the top of yer voice will waving your arms and legs in the air like a madman!
    Anyway ill stop before this turns into a strange noises text message scenario!

how did you see all that? dammit....he has a fix on my position! I must move again.

Erm, thanks lads. I'm completely lost by the cheesy baguette thing but thanks for the foh-net-iks anyway. :)

obviously not a patron of the old Chewin the Fat eh? ;)

The pressures on you guys now..... what a result.
    7 goals 5 different scorers, 100% record still intact....can you catch us? ;)

Eirebear wrote:
    The pressures on you guys now..... what a result.
    7 goals 5 different scorers, 100% record still intact....can you catch us? ;)

No problem. ;)

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote:
    No problem. ;)

Well Paul......We welcome the Chase ;)

nah' it'll be the usual easy points up in aberdeen for you guys tommorrow im sure :p

Eirebear wrote:
    Well Paul......We welcome the Chase ;)

nah' it'll be the usual easy points up in aberdeen for you guys tommorrow im sure :p

Just remember Hearts a couple of seasons ago.... 8 wins out of 8 to start their league campaign. Look what happened them.... :D :eek:

Ok ok, I know... that's Hearts. I think by Christmas we'll have a good indication of where we're both at, before a panic ridden January transfer window is upon us. ;)

Aye its early yet... but its a long time since we gubbed teams like we did today...so fogive me if im a little giddy :D

Eirebear wrote:
    Aye its early yet... but its a long time since we gubbed teams like we did today...so fogive me if im a little giddy :D

Yeah, must admit I thought I was hearing things on the car radio when the guy said 7-2. I had checked around half time on teletext while I was out and it was 2-1. Was thinking I completely misheard until I checked again on text.

How do you think Rangers will fare in Belgrade? I think the late goal may just have saved the tie - at 0-0 I wasn't fancying their chances.

its all too familiar this when it comes to european games. they win 7-2 at the weekend and everyone expects them to get off to a flier in europe, but as usual i expect Smith to hang back and play it ultra safe.....so much so that when he flicks the "ATTACK" switch.... nothing will happen.

im very, very wary at this stage... i know i was saying rangers may do well this year but, i dunno - after the first leg against red star and smith playing it safe (at home for crying out loud!) im being a touch more reserved on this one.

nice result against falkirk though, who by the way, are no push overs despite the result.

Lets see what Celtic can do up in sheepsville. Hereshoping they make it interesting ;)

Another great 2nd half performance by the bhoys. Who said Kenny Miller can't finish? :D His 2nd was a peach.

A much needed win to keep the pressure on the huns. Things are shaping up nicely now, cant wait for the first old firm.

• Advertisement

Another great 2nd half performance by the bhoys. Who said Kenny Miller can't finish? :D His 2nd was a peach.

A much needed win to keep the pressure on the huns. Things are shaping up nicely now, cant wait for the first old firm.

Great second half, they really turned it on. Amazing how they can play when they put their mind to it.

Was only saying to my wife during the first half that I was yet to be impressed by Donati. Maybe I should say that more often, he was absolutely outstanding in the 2nd half, even aside from the brilliantly taken goal. If he can pull out those performances when we need them, maybe we've unearthed a little gem.

I thought McGeady had a poor game, and he was responsible for the goal. Gave the ball away too many times, and didn't pass when he should have.

Miller's third goal this season. He's nearly equalled last season's total! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PauloMN wrote:
    Great second half, they really turned it on. Amazing how they can play when they put their mind to it.

Was only saying to my wife during the first half that I was yet to be impressed by Donati. Maybe I should say that more often, he was absolutely outstanding in the 2nd half, even aside from the brilliantly taken goal. If he can pull out those performances when we need them, maybe we've unearthed a little gem.

I thought McGeady had a poor game, and he was responsible for the goal. Gave the ball away too many times, and didn't pass when he should have.

unearthed a gem from that footballing backwater of AC Milan eh?

Tauren wrote:

Well not really my point, he spent the past 4 seasons or so out on loan, and many other teams wouldn't have taken the risk on him.

Maybe we've "taken a risk" on a gem that others wouldn't have. Happy now?

Tauren wrote:

Dude....he never played very often for AC did he....i dont know the exact stats, but he wasnt exactly at the forefront of the worlds minds before he left Milan was he?
    So yeah unearthed could be the correct term.

And yep, once again celtic perform well in the second half.....but are you all forgeting something guys, yous were AWFUL in the first ;)
    If Aberdeen had any sense of attacking football in them it could have been 2 or 3 by half time.

What happened with chesney?
    Is he cracking even more?

PauloMN wrote:

Miller is showing great hunger. If he improved his finishing, he'd be a class act. He's hitting form at the moment which has to be good for us. Donati is going to be an important player this season.

Agree with you about Aido. Thought he surrendered possesion way too easily today. He also needs to be stronger in the tackle.

Anyone know why Strachan got sent off? Seemed to be an altercation with someone in the stand:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

Anyone know why Strachan got sent off? Seemed to be an altercation with someone in the stand:confused:

It's not an official red card!!

Was he doing his goal celebration again? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SupAEtZ4FE

edit: the red card IS official

Hoops1888 wrote:
    Was he doing his goal celebration again? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SupAEtZ4FE

I was at that game, I was practically jumping out of the stand when that 2nd goal went in (it was the Craig Gordon fumble) as it was on around 94 mins. No wonder WGS was jumping about the place like a madman - it was a turning point in the league as it opened the gap up nicely.

There's too many "fans" get wound up by this. If you don't like to see opposing teams winning and opposing managers celebrating, don't go to the matches.

PauloMN wrote:
    I was at that game, I was practically jumping out of the stand when that 2nd goal went in (it was the Craig Gordon fumble) as it was on around 94 mins. No wonder WGS was jumping about the place like a madman - it was a turning point in the league as it opened the gap up nicely.

There's too many "fans" get wound up by this. If you don't like to see opposing teams winning and opposing managers celebrating, don't go to the matches.

But then again....if you dont like getting stick from opposition fans maybe your in the wrong job?
    Strachan obviously reacted to something that was said to him today, and thats not acceptable from a highly payed proffesional at the end of the day.

Maybe if he wasnt such an arrogant wee sod in his dealings with everybody from the press to his own clubs fans (the devil dug and kesrtral comments made me laugh my head off!) he wouldnt be such a target for the aggro?

Eirebear wrote:
    But then again....if you dont like getting stick from opposition fans maybe your in the wrong job?
    Strachan obviously reacted to something that was said to him today, and thats not acceptable from a highly payed proffesional at the end of the day.

But that's the point EB, they (WGS and the others) were taking it all day from what I hear. And they did take it. When they were returning a bit of the stick after Miller made it 2-1, that's when some of the Aberdeen fans decided to "make complaints". If you dish it out, be ready to take it back.

You know and I know the Aberdeen fans can dish it out, probably moreso than any other fans in the SPL, Old Firm fans included. I am under no illusion the kind of abuse that they were dishing out towards the dugout all afternoon. I obviously wasn't there today, but I have heard them with my own ears before.

That "official" that came down pointing and gesturing at Strachan was an embarrassment to Aberdeen FC - wet auld fart. It would have taken the patience of a saint not to tell him to go f**k himself, along with that auld git with the cap. I despise people who dish out abuse at matches, yet go crying to the "authorities" when they get a bit of banter thrown back at them. "Look what he said to me Mr. Policeman", like greetin' little kids in a playground.

Scottish football fans will always look for something to beat the Old Firm with. When the fans stop singing the songs that people complain about, they just try other ways to stir things up. The Celtic fans were exceptional today in both their behaviour and support of the team, and I just think the sheep couldn't handle it to be perfectly honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

PauloMN wrote:

WTF? Is that for me or something?

Surprised it's not here already, once again Rangers get away with sectarian singing. Two warning's from UEFA now one from SPL and they say we're paranoid..

i reckon paranoia creeping in there hoops - i think paulo was talking about the aberdeen fans who were at the game and shouting abuse at gordon strachan.

chill.

oh - as for rangers and rangers' singing - thats the fans bud, the authorities realise all that CAN be done by the club, is BEING done. What is it youre implying? favouritism? Youre suggesting maybe they ARENT punishing Rangers adequately? Fines and the threat of points reductions wont stop a minority of hardened orangemen mate because for them it isnt about football - this shouldnt be news to you however, you should compare them to your average irish flag flyer in Parkhead - I know a lot of them, and they dont hold back on the pro-IRA, anti unionist chanting either - and thats the Scottish lads.

Celtic fan Paranoia? - maybe not...

typically bias? Absolutely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Good win for Celtic today, looks like they'll walk it again this year.

Nice to see the Jambos' GD being in such negative territory. I think they could be in trouble if they don't get something sorted out soon.

I hope they don't get anything sorted out anytime soon.;)

Blackjack wrote:
    Good win for Celtic today, looks like they'll walk it again this year.

Nice to see the Jambos' GD being in such negative territory. I think they could be in trouble if they don't get something sorted out soon.

I hope they don't get anything sorted out anytime soon.;)

what makes you think theyll walk it bud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

odonnell wrote:

Oct 20th for starters :)

Excellent game for Celtic today with some good goals. Sets us up nicely for Wednesday night

• Advertisement

Hoops1888 wrote:
    WTF? Is that for me or something?

Huh? :confused: No, I was talking about fans who dish out abuse at matches then compain to stewards etc. when they get a bit back at them.

I don't think we'll walk the league. Rangers have strengthened and put together a team capable of mounting a strong challenge this year, as compared with last year. Their current squad is well capable of disposing of pretty much any SPL team aside from Celtic, and they will put it up to Celtic also. I think the league could be decided on the old firm games this season to be honest.

I didn't see the game, but Hearts are in complete disarray. I know we can all slag them off etc. as a bit of banter, but I honestly think it's a real shame. Mad Vlad is ruining that club and I'd be seething if I was a Hearts fan. I don't think any club should be treated like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

odonnell wrote:

While Rangers have certainly improved, I don't think it's enough for them to pose a serious challenge to Celtic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

odonnell wrote:

I was there yesterday and despite the purple pests being weak as piss, that is a serious midfield unit. Naka and Aido on the wings, Donati and Brown running from midfields with Graveson, Jarosek and Sno in backup, I cant think of a more potent attacking midfield in Britain at the moment.

The ginger one has them playing fast paced balls to feet and der hun are still years behind. That team will dish out some serious hammerings this year

I was there yesterday and despite the purple pests being weak as piss, that is a serious midfield unit. Naka and Aido on the wings, Donati and Brown running from midfields with Graveson, Jarosek and Sno in backup, I cant think of a more potent attacking midfield in Britain at the moment.

The ginger one has them playing fast paced balls to feet and der hun are still years behind. That team will dish out some serious hammerings this year

you being serious?

odonnell wrote:
    you being serious?

very. name one?

name one more creative and accurate dead ball player in England than Naka?

very. name one?

name one more creative and accurate dead ball player in England than Naka?

a more potent attacking midfield was what you mentioned.... and i just cant agree that Celtic have THE most potent attacking midfield in the UK....and lets remember your backups - 2 of them havent gotten off the bench, and the other is showing potential (sno). I dont think thats really too potent mate. Naka - good player, good dead ball striker - effective playmaker? nah. Brown - fair enough hes a good player, Donati - havent seen too much of him yet personally - hes only played 4 or 5 games.

On the strength of all that - how can they be the most potent attacking midfield in the UK???? :)

odonnell wrote:
    a more potent attacking midfield was what you mentioned.... and i just cant agree that Celtic have THE most potent attacking midfield in the UK....and lets remember your backups - 2 of them havent gotten off the bench, and the other is showing potential (sno). I dont think thats really too potent mate. Naka - good player, good dead ball striker - effective playmaker? nah. Brown - fair enough hes a good player, Donati - havent seen too much of him yet personally - hes only played 4 or 5 games.

On the strength of all that - how can they be the most potent attacking midfield in the UK???? :)

again, if you are going to disagree, whats you alternative?

Donati came form AC Milan where he was third in the pecking order to Pirlio and Gattuso and replaced by Emerson, there is no doubting his quality.

This is the best attacking Celtic side in a very long time.

again, if you are going to disagree, whats you alternative?

Donati came form AC Milan where he was third in the pecking order to Pirlio and Gattuso and replaced by Emerson, there is no doubting his quality.

This is the best attacking Celtic side in a very long time.

"again"? sorry mate the first time you reiterated Nakamuras free kick taking ability which is an entirely different conversation altogether. Donati came from AC milan and....sorry where was he before becoming 3rd in that pecking order? Id argue he couldnt have been THAT good otherwise he wouldnt have been farmed out on loan quite so much then eventually offloaded to an SPL side! Surely if he forms the backbone of "THE MOST POTENT ATTACKING MIDFIELD IN THE UK", hed have gone to an EPL side who could have paid for him out of loose change if theyd really wanted him.

surely :)

to be honest im not sure i CAN offer an alternative to this most potent attacking midfield side in the UK mate - i just find the idea too daft. id say....see the top half of the EPL for better midfields. I mean no disrespect at all here like, i just cant believe someone would actually say that, and mean it :)

I suppose, if you dont win the champions league this year - will that be down to the poor quality strikers? Or the dodgy defenders? You know..since the midfield is up there with the best of them.

odonnell wrote:
    "again"? sorry mate the first time you reiterated Nakamuras free kick taking ability which is an entirely different conversation altogether. Donati came from AC milan and....sorry where was he before becoming 3rd in that pecking order? Id argue he couldnt have been THAT good otherwise he wouldnt have been farmed out on loan quite so much then eventually offloaded to an SPL side! Surely if he forms the backbone of "THE MOST POTENT ATTACKING MIDFIELD IN THE UK", hed have gone to an EPL side who could have paid for him out of loose change if theyd really wanted him.

surely :)

to be honest im not sure i CAN offer an alternative to this most potent attacking midfield side in the UK mate - i just find the idea too daft. id say....see the top half of the EPL for better midfields. I mean no disrespect at all here like, i just cant believe someone would actually say that, and mean it :)

I suppose, if you dont win the champions league this year - will that be down to the poor quality strikers? Or the dodgy defenders? You know..since the midfield is up there with the best of them.

so in other words you cant actually think of one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

odonnell wrote:
    Naka - good player, good dead ball striker - effective playmaker? nah.
    :D You haven't a clue how good the guy is mate. ;)

Advertisement