Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

no need for ANY other words... i said exactly what i meant in what i typed the first time:

look at the top half of the EPL and save me the hassle of typing their players in here.

there ya go bud - i even said it again for ya...

eirebhoy wrote:
    :D You haven't a clue how good the guy is mate. ;)

oh shush you...just because you want to have nakas babies

surely you cant agree with your man here, and dont try and all gang up on the local hun here - speak sense or dont speak :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

odonnell wrote:
    oh shush you...just because you want to have nakas babies
    It's hardly because I'm biased towards Japanese players. He's a top class playmaker on his day. "his day" is when Celtic have the majority of possession and he's allowed drift around the field, and isn't marked out of the game. How could a top class player be so easily marked out of the game you may say? I'm sure Pirlo could be marked out of the game too if he was doubled up on. If you double mark Naka this season there's another 5 players to worry about, unlike last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

odonnell wrote:
    no need for ANY other words... i said exactly what i meant in what i typed the first time:

look at the top half of the EPL and save me the hassle of typing their players in here.

there ya go bud - i even said it again for ya...

What are you on about. I said I belive that the Celtic midfield is the best attacking one in Britain. You disagree but cant think of one better. Your only rational is that if they were as good as anything in the EPL they would be there, which is pure ole ole-ism.

If you think I am wrong, name me the English side that will me more positive in midfield? If you are just going to mumble into your keyboard, don't bother.

Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal...

If someone like Alonso was playing in the SPL he'd be getting forward a lot more.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal...

If someone like Alonso was playing in the SPL he'd be getting forward a lot more.

chelsea have a more attack minded midfield?

get a grip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:
    :D You haven't a clue how good the guy is mate. ;)

Ehh you said the same about Petrov, hes hardly being a world class midfielder with Villa in a better league.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Ehh you said the same about Petrov, hes hardly being a world class midfielder with Villa in a better league.

kdjac

to be fair, Naka was a class act in Italy before and has been tip top for Japan as well.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Ehh you said the same about Petrov
    I did in my arse. Maloney is the Villa player I rave about. I find it just as easy to judge a player in the SPL as any other league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

that is a serious midfield unit. Naka and Aido on the wings, Donati and Brown running from midfields with Graveson, Jarosek and Sno in backup, I cant think of a more potent attacking midfield in Britain at the moment.

The ginger one has them playing fast paced balls to feet and der hun are still years behind. That team will dish out some serious hammerings this year
    +1

That midfield can rival anything in the EP. A quality quartet if ever I seen one! However up front there are a number of EP clubs with more potent strikers than us. I'd love to see us sign the likes of Torres and co, though we couldn't afford him i guess.

Still all things considered, I believe we are a better outfit than last year and can go further in Europe, and retain our SPL title.

• Advertisement

What are you on about. I said I belive that the Celtic midfield is the best attacking one in Britain. You disagree but cant think of one better. Your only rational is that if they were as good as anything in the EPL they would be there, which is pure ole ole-ism.

If you think I am wrong, name me the English side that will me more positive in midfield? If you are just going to mumble into your keyboard, don't bother.

theres not REALLY any need for that is there? This thread has managed to avoid degenerating into chaos despite of the mix of fans posting. any chance you could keep it friendly and less insulting mate? Like I said, I found the idea unthinkable, so i didnt bother posting the players, not because i couldnt think of them - ill thank you for being a bit less presumptuous eh? I think youre being unrealistic, but i at least avoid taking digs...

the celtic midfield is better than lampard, essien, malouda, obi mikel, ballack, wright-philips, etc.. ?

lets look at Arsenal, fabregas, hleb, rosicky, gilberto....

man city - geovanni, elano, diabi, hamman (i reckon celtic are here abouts in terms of quality in midfield....)

liverpool - gerard!!, benayoun, kewell, alonso!!, sissoko, pennant, kuyt, mashcerano (this is my favourite midfield in the premiership)

lets not forget man utd regardless of their current woes a few games in.

now im NOT denying nakas ability.... but a THE most potent midfield in the UK? cmon lad. We'll have to agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

but ziggy....you NEVER agree with me!! heh

ziggy67 wrote:
    Yes, because you are always wrong! :)

i ..uh.... i disagree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Id say he essentially offered gravesens wages to Brown, if you know what i mean... about time he started clearing them lot out tbh. Zurawski hasnt managed to keep scoring form, and Miller never really started! In them 3 though, i wonder how much yous will get in fees, i mean the wages alone will probably free up something like 80k a week so...

but aye - yous have probably got a nice wee striker to look forward to.

EDIT: this is OT, but are any of you lads playing in the charity tournament out UCD way on the 22nd September? Its fairly large so...just wondering if any of you have gotten involved through various channels. theres no space left now incase anyones wondering.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ziggy67 wrote:
    Graveson has been a major disapointment and should just go, we can't afford to have reserves picking up wage packets like his.

Flicked on Celtic TV the other day and they were showing the reserves match against Aberdeen. Imagine having been playing for Real Madrid first team a couple of seasons ago and finding yourself in the arse end of nowhere playing reserve football in front of 50 people. No offence to the reserves, but it's hardly the path he thought he'd follow.

Time for him to go if he has any self respect. He's being frozen out of the first team - he knows it and everyone else knows it. He should move before his career just dies.

Celtic reserve lineup against Hearts this afternoon:

McGovern; Doumbe, Balde, Cuthbert, O’Dea; Jarosik, Sno, Gravesen, Riordan; O’Brien, McGowan.

• Advertisement

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9559/gersforumpv3.jpg

;)

Anyway, surely "OhNoYouDidn't" doesn't think Celtic have the best midfield in Britain?:eek: I think he should have emphasised the word "attacking". In reply to your earlier post ONYD, Of course Chelsea have a much better attacking midfield than Celtic. Don't be silly.

eirebhoy wrote:
    odonnell is rumbled! ;) odonnell, you should invite some of your gers mates to post on this forum. It'd be interesting to hear the views from the dark side ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

Bhoys: No players on list

Celtic have vehemently denied reports that Thomas Gravesen, Maciej Zurawski and Derek Riordan have been put on the transfer list.

Reports on Monday suggested the trio had been told they can leave Parkhead by manager Gordon Strachan.

But the SPL champions have moved to dismiss the rumours, insisting no one has been put up for sale.

"Contrary to ill-informed reports from some media outlets today, Celtic Football Club has not placed any players on the transfer list," read a club statement.

Gravesen has been a target for Fulham, with Lawrie Sanchez admitting he has enquired about the Danish midfielder.

Zurawski has been linked with a return to Wisla Krakow, but the Polish striker is determined to fight for his place in the team.

Riordan, meanwhile, has been tracked by Championsip duo Leicester City and Sheffield Wednesday after struggling to make an impact with Celtic.

Wonderkid is Celtic target

CELTIC have rekindled their interest in Hearts' Bulgarian forward Branimir Kostadinov, with the player's father claiming he has been asked to help arrange his son's transfer to Parkhead.

Petio Kostadinov maintains Branimir is happy at Hearts but admitted no surprise at renewed interest from Celtic, who attempted to sign the player when he moved to Scotland in January 2006.

Kostadinov senior is a respected agent in his native Sofia and received a tentative inquiry about his 18-year-old son over the weekend, however he refused to become embroiled in negotiations.

"I received the call on Saturday and I was asked to help with the transfer of Branimir to Celtic," said Petio. "But I said this is not for me to discuss, they must speak with the owner.

"I am not surprised that Celtic have interest because they tried to sign Branimir before he went to Hearts. I was in Prague waiting to fly to Scotland and they called me at the airport and said when I get to Edinburgh I should go straight to Glasgow and not to Hearts.

"Stilian Petrov, who is like a son to me, called Branimir direct to try to take him to Celtic. But once he saw Hearts he said: 'Dad, this is my club'. I never say never in football but Branimir has a contract with Hearts."

Kostadinov was involved in Hearts Under-19s' 3-0 defeat by Celtic at Barrowfield on Saturday but has yet to appear for the first team. He has a contract at Tynecastle until 2009.

The first team suffered a demoralising 5-0 loss at Parkhead at the weekend, during which Neil McCann sustained a double leg break. He was due to undergo an operation last night and is expected to be absent for a period of six months.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Dear dear O'Donnell thats not very nice now is it? :)

You want me to go and post all my anti-celtic and anti celtic-fan comments from other forums up mate? Its no problem because im not embarrased by them - i think what i think and thats that! We are well aware of some people being on both forums - its there for anyone to see and just because im not shouting bannable offences in here doesnt mean i dont think some of this thread is ridiculous! On the most part its been great and constructive and Ive also said THAT many times - thats why eirebear and myself didnt start an spl thread - but dont go thinking "oh thats awful" or anything just because i was "rumbled".

Its embarrasing some of the stuff we have to argue about and it started bothering me for real yesterday... so i wouldnt say i was rumbled - that was only a matter of time and i knew that, but you have to realise both eirebear AND myself have actually shouldered a lot of stick and uncommon abuse from OUR lot for being here, and from YOU lot for being here (not necessarily on t'internet). My ignore list has gone through the roof since joining soccer boards, and i dont really think ive been a pr|ck on here, and ive done my best to try to keep things away from insults!

But like i said - Ive no problem whatsoever...im not embarrased by it, and i wont say anything in there i wouldnt say here - except here id be banned for being a naughty hun or a DOB to the ill informed! Then everyone could find out exactly how awful those huns really are....

*shrug*

[edit] im quite annoyed by this, but not embarrased... just quite annoyed at the pettiness.

odonnell is rumbled! ;) odonnell, you should invite some of your gers mates to post on this forum. It'd be interesting to hear the views from the dark side ;)

mate.... you dont want too many of them posting here or i actually would invite them. There are a few of us around, some of us in a more discreet manner - but (and they know this too) too many of them would end up getting into arguments and venting it here - and not there like i do. This forum would be destroyed in waves of abuse from both sides.

just ask eirebear.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Relax bud, i thought it was funny :) .

Everybody gets p***ed off in here from time to time (just back from a ban myself) but your well able to fight your corner and i, for one, think the forum is better for having you, Eirebear and whoever else that is from the darkside here :)

Fair enough mate... im relaxed like, im just more annoyed at the thread threatening to go the way of the dodo. On more than one occasion now its had to be rescued or ive had to bite my tongue (can you do that on a forum?) so as not to let it degenerate into the typical ill informed slagging match.... if we can keep up the craic id be delighted to hang about, but holding my tongue is getting pretty tricky i have to say...

[incidentally - ive never been banned from boards yet :) but i HAVE been banned from some of the more illustrious Rangers forums because of my anti union and pro republican views....eirebear is the same]

• Advertisement

thats not bad man.... now try explaining away being called a hun (and as someone from here will see, its currently being discussed on the rangers forum - why not paste it up and we can all laugh at my nasty nasty comments in there too), and the current popes history within the nazi youth!

irony is wonderful...if slightly irritating.

odonnell wrote:
    You want me to go and post all my anti-celtic and anti celtic-fan comments from other forums up mate? Its no problem because im not embarrased by them - i think what i think and thats that! We are well aware of some people being on both forums - its there for anyone to see and just because im not shouting bannable offences in here doesnt mean i dont think some of this thread is ridiculous! On the most part its been great and constructive and Ive also said THAT many times - thats why eirebear and myself didnt start an spl thread - but dont go thinking "oh thats awful" or anything just because i was "rumbled".

Its embarrasing some of the stuff we have to argue about and it started bothering me for real yesterday... so i wouldnt say i was rumbled - that was only a matter of time and i knew that, but you have to realise both eirebear AND myself have actually shouldered a lot of stick and uncommon abuse from OUR lot for being here, and from YOU lot for being here (not necessarily on t'internet). My ignore list has gone through the roof since joining soccer boards, and i dont really think ive been a pr|ck on here, and ive done my best to try to keep things away from insults!

But like i said - Ive no problem whatsoever...im not embarrased by it, and i wont say anything in there i wouldnt say here - except here id be banned for being a naughty hun or a DOB to the ill informed! Then everyone could find out exactly how awful those huns really are....

*shrug*

[edit] im quite annoyed by this, but not embarrased... just quite annoyed at the pettiness.
    I find you guilty of treason against the brotherhood of the Celts! I shall organise a meeting of the High Council to discuss appropriate sanctions.

We have decided: You must stand outside Frazers on O Connell St during an old firm game with a placard saying "I must not bad-mouth Celtic and their wonderful fans". Now go atone for your sins brother.
    You must say 2 decades of the rosary before you can post here again. :D

I find you guilty of treason against the brotherhood of the Celts! I shall organise a meeting of the High Council to discuss appropriate sanctions.

We have decided: You must stand outside Frazers on O Connell St during an old firm game with a placard saying "I must not bad-mouth Celtic and their wonderful fans". Now go atone for your sins brother.
    You must say 2 decades of the rosary before you can post here again. :D

seriously man i feel like ive had my bare arse skelped in public... but i dont mind the odd hand print now and then, it must be said.

[edit] back on topic - what do we reckon for the October 20th clash of the titans!!?? Im going for a Rangers win, obviously... because i do genuinely feel we have a more resilient team now. They look as though they have regained what they essentially lost when Smith left the last time, and thats a will to win - they go a goal down and you see them visibly picking it up and trying to get themselves sorted - where lasts eason they capitulated (under le goon at least). Celtic i think will struggle to cope with us and id be very surprised if we dont put 2 past yous even at Parkhead.

Like someone pointed out earlier, i think this will be another season decided solely on OF games - and i see a return to the days when an OF win was a traditional 6 pointer.

odonnell wrote:
    seriously man i feel like ive had my bare arse skelped in public... but i dont mind the odd hand print now and then, it must be said.
    Just choking your chain dude. ;)

If old firm rivals were agreeing all the time that would be even more disturbing. :eek:

PS. That was quick for 2 decades of the rosary. Are you sure you said all the hail marys?

• Advertisement

Just choking your chain dude. ;)

If old firm rivals were agreeing all the time that would be even more disturbing. :eek:

PS. That was quick for 2 decades of the rosary. Are you sure you said all the hail marys?

dude i dont even know what kind of decade you mean - to me a decade is 10 years.... not some god-bothering act of repentance :D

Whats the rosary?

.....and who's this mary character? sure....you dont really believe in all this god stuff do yae ted?

ziggy: yeh youre right on like, the same discussion is going on, or generally goes on every few months in the rangers end of things. Im not offended by religion, race, or ...anything like that really. Much rather it had nothing to do wth football to be honest, but unfortunately some people wont let it detach itself. Theyre entitled to their opinion though like everyone else i suppose.

odonnell wrote:
    dude i dont even know what kind of decade you mean - to me a decade is 10 years.... not some god-bothering act of repentance :D

Whats the rosary?

.....and who's this mary character? sure....you dont really believe in all this god stuff do yae ted?
    ziggy: yeh youre right on like, the same discussion is going on, or generally goes on every few months in the rangers end of things. Im not offended by religion, race, or ...anything like that really. Much rather it had nothing to do wth football to be honest, but unfortunately some people wont let it detach itself. Theyre entitled to their opinion though like everyone else i suppose.
    There will be no salvation without repentance, the meek shall inherit the earth and other such sayings.
    If you don't know the hail mary. You can say 10 hail henrik larssons, and all will be forgiven! :)

There will be no salvation without repentance, the meek shall inherit the earth and other such sayings.
    If you don't know the hail mary. You can say 10 hail henrik larssons, and all will be forgiven! :)

Larsson.... hes the bane of my life. My best mate is a Swede and he reckons Larsson is a god and a genius - my mate is also a Rangers fan by default and I send him my Rangers strips at the end of each season. Yet he still loves god old 'Henk' ....

Damn him.... Damn him to hell! (henk i mean)

odonnell wrote:
    Larsson.... hes the bane of my life. My best mate is a Swede and he reckons Larsson is a god and a genius - my mate is also a Rangers fan by default and I send him my Rangers strips at the end of each season. Yet he still loves god old 'Henk' ....

Damn him.... Damn him to hell! (henk i mean)
    You can learn a lot from this mate. As indeed Larsson is a god and a genius. I fear for this friend though: You seem to have contamined him with this plague known as "being a rangers fan". You should organise a trip to Parkhead for him, its probably not too late to convert him to the true faith: ie "Celtic fan". It would be the humane thing to do.

You can learn a lot from this mate. As indeed Larsson is a god and a genius. I fear for this friend though: You seem to have contamined him with this plague known as "being a rangers fan". You should organise a trip to Parkhead for him, its probably not too late to convert him to the true faith: ie "Celtic fan". It would be the humane thing to do.

yeah and shooting an ailing horse is the humane thing too ;)

I heard a story not long ago on BBC Radio about a wee man up north who lost his memory after being in an accident. Gradually he was remembering what things like teabags were for etc, and his mates decided it was time to take him to the boozer to watch the match. All his mates were gers fans and as it turned out, he regained his memory and realised his mates had tried to turn him - he was actually a celtic fan...

(think ive mentioned this wee story before actually... reckon eirebhoy will dig it out)

• Advertisement

odonnell wrote:
    what do we reckon for the October 20th clash of the titans!!?? Im going for a Rangers win, obviously... because i do genuinely feel we have a more resilient team now. They look as though they have regained what they essentially lost when Smith left the last time, and thats a will to win - they go a goal down and you see them visibly picking it up and trying to get themselves sorted - where lasts eason they capitulated (under le goon at least). Celtic i think will struggle to cope with us and id be very surprised if we dont put 2 past yous even at Parkhead.

Like someone pointed out earlier, i think this will be another season decided solely on OF games - and i see a return to the days when an OF win was a traditional 6 pointer.
    The gap has been closed. Rangers have improved a lot on last season. Their record so far is flawless. However what you probably haven't bargained on is Celtic improving upon last season also. Our midfield looks a lot more potent with Donati and Brown in it. I really feel we have a better midfield than we've had in many a long year, and that will manifest itself in results as the season goes by.

Was highely impressed with Darcheville, the bit i seen of him anyway. I was watching rangers-kilmarnock last weekend, checking up on the auld enemy.

I think you've every reason to be confident, what with the good start and everything. I do think the 5-0 against Hearts is showing the intention that our SPL title is going to be very hard to wrestle away. I welcome a tight contest. Makes the season more exciting.

The gap has been closed. Rangers have improved a lot on last season. Their record so far is flawless. However what you probably haven't bargained on is Celtic improving upon last season also. Our midfield looks a lot more potent with Donati and Brown in it. I really feel we have a better midfield than we've had in many a long year, and that will manifest itself in results as the season goes by.

Was highely impressed with Darcheville, the bit i seen of him anyway. I was watching rangers-kilmarnock last weekend, checking up on the auld enemy.

I think you've every reason to be confident, what with the good start and everything. I do think the 5-0 against Hearts is showing the intention that our SPL title is going to be very hard to wrestle away. I welcome a tight contest. Makes the season more exciting.

....and we welcome the chase!

ive been waiting for my chance to say it, and now i have. there - done! :D

odonnell wrote:
    ....and we welcome the chase!

ive been waiting for my chance to say it, and now i have. there - done! :D
    How will we ever make up that huge 2 point defecit with a mere 8 months of the season to go? We'll really have to pull out all the stops. :p

Don't want to rain on your parade here, (but i will anyway) Rangers world will come crashing around their ears on Oct 20th. Celtic just have too much class, especially in the middle of the park i feel Rangers will be overrun.

Bazza will single handedly dispose of Donati and Brown.

*ahem*

this was just put up on the rangers forum... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44V-wZn0x90

scotland crossbar challenge, scott brown in there, hartley, pressley etc. watch it through to the end to see who comes the closest :)

Celtic sign teenager from Inter

Celtic have completed the signing of 16-year-old Italian midfielder Luca Santonocito from Inter Milan, after the teenager signed a three-year deal.
    Manager Gordon Strachan told the club website: "We are delighted to welcome Luca to Celtic Park and we look forward to working with him.

"We had him training with the first team already yesterday morning."

"Although at 16 he is still a young lad, he certainly did not look out of place," Strachan added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Anyone know any live streaming of the game tomorrow? i know have delayed coverage

id have preferred us to have played a bit more football as i feel WS still sets the team out to not concede, rather than going out to score. Bit lucky at times thats true, but then so were Red Star. Never much of a threat there apart from scrappyness.

Celtics turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I actually sat down and watched the Rangers game on Setanta! Darchville seems a handful and McGregor done well tonight. Let's hope all that TV money for the CL does not end up at Mordor.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Der Hun = Jammy Bassas. ;)

Tomorrow is must win (or a boring 0-0 :D , but I couldn't sit through 90 mins of 0-0 hoping they don't get a late goal). I'd be pee'd off if we don't qualify, especially after them getting through I must admit. And almost as pee'd off that they would get all of Scotlands share of the cash (mind you they need it more than us).

• Advertisement
Advertisement