Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Nakamura is rested. McGeady starts along with Jarosik, Lennon and Gravesen in the middle. Wilson makes his first appearance since breaking his foot against Old Trafford. Great to have him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I only saw bits of the game last night but a 3-1 loss wasn't a great result to get. Granted, an away win was a bit too much to ask perhaps to gain top spot. Knowing that they were through definitely had an impact on tactics and effort, so not too much should be read into the result overall.

Now we have to wait to see who Celtic will get in the draw. 7/3 chance that it will be a club from england (Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea). That, in a way, may actually help Celtic.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anyone who gets Celtic I think will be happy, ultimately they just can't do ****e away from home in the CL.

I watched the match again with a sober head and Copenhagen are a poor team. They beat Celtic on set pieces alone. In the first leg at Celtic park all they did was play for free kicks. If they got a free kick in their own half they'd get a few people into the box and boot it into them.

Celtic were terrible at defending set pieces. The first goal came from a throw in. The 2nd goal came from a corner. The 3rd goal came from a free kick. Copenhagen did not create one clear cut chance in open play. Celtic created more clear cut chances last night than they have in the last dozen matches. Miller should have had a hattrick of headers. He also blunder trying to round the keeper 1 on 1. McGeady slipped when 1 on 1 with the keeper from a Gravesen pass. 6 or 7 chances that really should have been scored.

Strachan needs to get in an organisor at the back. Maybe a striker too but Vennegoor is still injured.

I'd have to agree with PHB, Celtic are the team to get in the last 16 unless we really improve in January.

I thought Gravesen was excellent last night btw and much better than you'd get from Petrov in a European away fixture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Celtic seem to be very poor at the back away in europe, giving away 3 goals each to Manu, benfica, and Copenhagen isn't really good enough. Gordon needs to buy a few players in the January window with this new money, but a centre back has to be number 1 priority. Apart from McManus they've nobody really that inspires any confidence in that position. Bobo and Caldwell have both been shown up as not up to it at this level.

That said, I wouldnt rule out the possibilty of Celtic making the last 8. They do look good going forward and always look like they might get a few goals in a game. An injury free JVOH is the man here I feel, along with Nakas free kick taking and general trickery. Also theres 2 and half months till the next European game so plenty of time to work on things and improve.

Sort out the away demons, and a lot of defensive work and Celtic have a real chance of going a lot further in this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Bad result. But there through that's the main thing.

Guess ye forget they have a big game in less than two weeks which im sure they wanna win.

http://petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=3588

So, the consensus was that the result flattered Copenhagen and Celtic should have got more out of the game. All in all, set pieces are part of the game so the loss was probably still a fair reflection. By the way, Gronkjaer was a name I havent heard in a while and brought back memories of Chelsea pipping Liverpool.

> Strachan needs to get in an organisor at the back. Maybe a striker too but Vennegoor is still injured.

I think they are definitely short of a top class striker. Vennegoor of H isnt the best in the world and neither is Miller, and to some extent Celtic are missing the likes of a Hartson or even a Sutton when they were in their day, or a Bellamy and definitely a Larsson, or a Dalglish or a Deans! Celtic are of a stature were they should have a top striker.

> Apart from McManus they've nobody really that inspires any confidence in that position. Bobo and Caldwell have both been shown up

Midfield is well served and the keeper is good enough, so the next 'obvious gap' is in defence. I think Cauldwell may come back, perhaps. Balde is very physical which is fine for the SPL but which will only go so far in the CL. Defence should be more solvable than the attack and I would expect Strachan to strengthen that area at some point.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I believe Strachan has said that a centre back is a priority. I agree with you, Balde and Caldwell are perfect for the SPL but for the CL they are lacking, especially away from home. I have been impressed by Caldwell this season in the SPL and he is playing well for Scotland too but needs to improve his game more for the CL.

I worry about Strachan's signing policy. We get linked with the best strikers that Celtic can really attract but when it comes to the defence Strachan is down watching Danny Shittu on the bench for Watford vs Sheffield United. He really needs to spend a few million on a defender.

The latest striker linked is Vorinin off Leverkusen. He had a superb partnership with Berbatov who is pretty similar to Vennegoor so I'd like to see that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

He needs to start thinking about signings that can compete in Europe and not just Scotland. He gets away with average defenders in Scotland but that wont work in Europe.

sundula wrote:
    He needs to start thinking about signings that can compete in Europe and not just Scotland. He gets away with average defenders in Scotland but that wont work in Europe.
    State the obvious why don't ye? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

eirebhoy wrote:
    State the obvious why don't ye? :)

Ok, Celtic's defenders are sh*te. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is a circle that is very difficult to break.... Celtic play in the SPL which will not attract top players (there are exceptions) and they do not have the money to spend on EPL wages and/or EPL transfer fees therefore to even get to the last 16 in the CL is an achievement. The football world has changed immensely since Jock Stein fielded a team of local to win the European Cup.

Darren O'Dea is starting tomorrow so that should be interesting. He's quite lucky actually as Scott Cuthbert is probably rated the higher of the 2 (he captained Scotland U19s to European Championship final) but has been injured all season. O'Dea has been captaining the reserves this season.

I saw this post on a Celtic forum and thought it was very interesting.
    1) A lot of people during the Pot 2 saga of last season questioned its use so heres a stat that may be of interest. Of the 16 teams that have made the knockout stages NONE came from pot 3 or 4. Every single one of the 16 qualifiers was in the top 16 in the seedings.

2) Of those 16 teams that did qualify only ourselves, Porto and PSV come from outside of the traditional 'Big Five' leagues (Italy, Spain, England, Germany & France). Those other two teams have been consistently in the CL year on year, improving and gaining the experience necessary to compete in a tournament where everything is geared towards the big boys. This should put our achievement of qualification into perspective.

3) Our CL away record is poor, and I wouldn't for a minute suggest otherwise, but away wins in the CL are at an absolute premium. Less than 25% of games in the tournament ended with away wins and theres many teams with poorer records than ours.

Olympiakos are in their 10th straight group stage and still don't have an away win. Anderlecht recently lost 12 games straight home and away. AEK only just ended a run of 21 games without a win. The CL is where the elite play and winning away from hom against anyone is not easy.

This season only 3 teams from the top 2 pots lost at home (this in 48 games) and 2 of those were Milan and PSV on the last day when they'd already qualified. This makes 1 away win in 46 meaningful games. Our record is bad and must be improved but lets put things into perspective.
    I thought the first point was amazing tbh. I think Rangers were the only team outside the first 2 Pots to make the last 16 last season too.

• Advertisement

The McGeady/Lennon bust-up at the end of the matc yesterday was a strange incident. Its unusual for players to get so wound up for something as trivial as this. As much as I'd like to believe everyone else and Strachan that they were just sore to lose a goal, Lennon is not fighting someone every week when goals go in, and goals more important than this, so I think there is something more to this than meets the eye between the two players. There must be some other underlying animosity between them from something else. That cant be good for the players and the club.

I must watch out how they interact on the field from now on, scrutinize their passing and their willingness to work for each other. Maybe it was just a once-off, time will tell.

By all accounts O'Dea did well. With a name like that he must have Irish connections of some sort. Has he declared internationally? Is he a prospect for a place in the back line on a mre permanent basis?
    eirebhoy wrote:
    I thought the first point:
    "Of the 16 teams that have made the knockout stages NONE came from pot 3 or 4. Every single one of the 16 qualifiers was in the top 16 in the seedings"

was amazing tbh.

Well, thats why the seedings are there and I am in favour of them. As much as an open draw could help the less capable clubs, its better footballing wise if there is seeding.

here is however an argument that it helps keep the smaller clubs small and the bigger clubs big (due to the money) and there is merit to that stance. I'm in favour of curbing the spending of the bigger clubs in other ways and making the field more even in other ways.

An open draw competition would be a different competition ala the FA and FAI Cups. May as well go one-legged as well and why limit it to the top teams from each country. Imagine this cup, where every club in Europe each year play off, giving every club a crack of the whip, or a chance at least. And unlike the Uefa country system for European Qualifiers and WC qualifiers, I dont the minnows in this case would not be guaranteed 7 matches in a group phase. Win or out. It could even be called the European Cup !

redsider

redspider wrote:

By all accounts O'Dea did well. With a name like that he must have Irish connections of some sort. Has he declared internationally? Is he a prospect for a place in the back line on a mre permanent basis?

I think Celtic got him from Home Farm

http://www.celticfc.net/squad/profile.asp?player_id=747

redspider wrote:
    By all accounts O'Dea did well. With a name like that he must have Irish connections of some sort. Has he declared internationally?
    He's from Dublin and has been playing for Ireland at underage level the past few years. He was the reason Balde looked so steady yesterday as Balde needs an organiser beside him which O'Dea is.

Thanks for that info about O'Dea. Seems he came through the Celtic youth system. Home Farm BC is the boys club.

I had to check if I 'overslept' when I read this:

> Signed: 20/07/2016

:-)

Overall, looks like a good prospect for Celtic, and Ireland.

redspider

I see McClaren is keeping tabs on Naylor.
    "I am aware Lee has been playing well and we will come up to Glasgow to have a look. I plan to do that soon.

"He's playing for a massive club at the top level who have reached the last 16 of the Champions League and is someone we will monitor.

"Lee has stepped up from the Championship and done well. As I need cover for Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge it is well worth me having a look."

He has been excellent since he joined. When Naylor was younger he was a regular for the England U21s at the expense of Wayne Bridge. Wolves fans say he just went stale after 9 years at the club but he's certainly back to his best at Celtic. His crossing is superb.

Wilson is a huge fans favourite too since he joined and Strachan says he's the best defender in Scotland. 2 excellent full backs, just need the centre of defence sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

O'Dea does indeed look like a good prospect, played well against Dunfermline.
    What about John Kennedy?? The most recent news I heard was that he was making steady progress on the road to recovery, anyone else any updates?
    He looked like a top prospect!
    What is the story with Riordan, Strachan bought him but has never given him a chance???

Did any of you get the chance to read the detailed article on him in the Sunday Times?

Basically, it outlines how he has fallen out with Strachan, at least in terms of pecking order, and due to his good salary, he hasn't much of an option but to stay at Celtic. Its a sort of catch-22 situation as when you dont play, you dont get exposure to be in the window to be bought by another club, etc. So the player stagnates and it costs the club money, a lose-lose situation for both. The club also wont facilitate him to move where they partially pay his salary. A move that would save the club money.

I understood that he is out of contract at the end of the year as well.

Thoughts?

Redspider

I read the article and I've lost a little respect for Thompson tbh. He makes it out that he really wants to play football more than anything. He's on £25k atm. There was 2 premiership clubs interested in him, one almost certainly Bolton, where he could have earnt £15k. I'm pretty sure Celtic wouldn't have any problem paying him off the other £10k a week to meet his current wage.

I just think he's happy to take his £25k a week and not play. Its up to him as the club gave him that contract but he shouldn't be making out that all he wants to do is play football.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I see McClaren is keeping tabs on Naylor.

He has been excellent since he joined. When Naylor was younger he was a regular for the England U21s at the expense of Wayne Bridge. Wolves fans say he just went stale after 9 years at the club but he's certainly back to his best at Celtic. His crossing is superb.

Wilson is a huge fans favourite too since he joined and Strachan says he's the best defender in Scotland. 2 excellent full backs, just need the centre of defence sorted.

I agree. Naylor been top class, a most underrated player. He has been one of celtics top players this season. Passing, crossing, tackling are all top notch. Should walk onto the England team I would've thought!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

I didn't read the article on Thompson, but I know a guy who works in Celtic Park and he said that the day before the first Rangers match last season he met Thompson stroming out after a team meeting or training session and wished him luck for the game. Thompson responsed along the lines "f**k the Rangers game, we have no chance of beating Rangers or winning anything with that little ginger c**t in charge"
    Strangely we have seen very little of Thommo since!

Celtic67 wrote:
    I didn't read the article on Thompson
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-2496650,00.html

Nothing really to do with football but was wondering has anyone any nice pictures of Celtic crests on there computer my girlfriend's paying for one for Christmas was gonna get the one on the green away jersey last year's I think.

Anyone got any nice one's on there computer?

Anyone a season ticket holder with Celtic? If your getting a ticket for champions league game don't suppose get another spare for a fan?

eirebhoy wrote:
    I read the article and I've lost a little respect for Thompson tbh. He makes it out that he really wants to play football more than anything. He's on £25k atm. There was 2 premiership clubs interested in him, one almost certainly Bolton, where he could have earnt £15k. I'm pretty sure Celtic wouldn't have any problem paying him off the other £10k a week to meet his current wage. I just think he's happy to take his £25k a week and not play. Its up to him as the club gave him that contract but he shouldn't be making out that all he wants to do is play football.

I think its a difficult situation. Thompson agreed the contract under a different manager, and to some extent the club ownership has also changed, as Desmond is now more in control. Its not clear if Celtic would make up the 10k a week in salary. Thompson is indicating that in the article, that they had the opportunity to do so and didnt offer it.

Thompson was/is a senior player, and as we all know, it can be easy to fall out with Wee Gordy, who is a fiery bad tempered chap at times, not all the time. I read some of the extracts from his book and he would literally cross the road to have an argument with a stranger. I am not a huge fan of his personality. His droleness at times though is good and he certainly knows his football.

But overall, Thompson is a victim in this case but is being stubborn as well. Gordon as the new manager wanted to stamp his authority and his control of the club and has to be seen to win in this situation - it is more important than the money. Thats why I'm sure that Celtic wont want to support Thompson leaving. Cutting their nose off to spite their face, applies in this case. Its a lose-lose situation.

In the meantime, Thompson's life is 'hell-ish', and his career is left to dwindle out. Overall, I'm not in favour of managers being allowed to do this and I think that Thompson was right in deciding to be interviewed for the article.

Redspider

ps: the Big One on Sunday v Rangers. Only pride to play for, but what else is needed ?!? A chance for Rangers perhaps. They may get the green light to also rough things up. I could see a red card or two in this one.

redspider wrote:
    A chance for Rangers perhaps. They may get the green light to also rough things up. I could see a red card or two in this one.

Of course pride to play it's an old firm game both side's will want too win.

And no not a chance for ranger's IMO but then again I would say that.

Although seen abit of there UEFA cup match my god did you see there pitch.

Is the game live on BBC1 Scotland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Is the game live on BBC1 Scotland?

SPL games are only shown on SETANTA in the Scotland.

• Advertisement

Todays team

Boruc

Wilson
    Balde
    McManus
    Naylor

Naka
    Gravesen
    Lennon
    McGeady

Jarosik
    Zurawski

I have a feeling McGeady will score today

0-1 so far common the hoops.

We should of had a clear penalty.

HAIL HAIL

HT Rangers 0 - 1 Celtic (Graveson)

Amazing miss by Ferguson (although he was offside, not given). The most blatent penalty appeal turned down from Clarke when Lennon was chopped down in the box.

Amazing miss by Ferguson (although he was offside, not given). The most blatent penalty appeal turned down from Clarke when Lennon was chopped down in the box.

Jesus wasnt that given offside? My PPstream is abit slow or maybe my computer, jesus what a miss.

Agree clear penalty, Ranger's claimed they should of had a penalty dont no the player think it with Prso went down in the game about 6 times the ref had a word in his ear just before the whistle hopefully there wont be more diving.

Dub in glasgow ever hear of Jimmy Gallagher? (second name might be spelt wrong)

Boruc man of match by a mile.

What a keeper some great saves.

FFFuuuccccckkkkkk

1-1 F/T

Rangers should have won it at the end. Boruc was fantastic, Celtic done nothing but sit on their 1-0 lead in the 2nd half... very disappointing.

Never beat Mialn playing like that **** in the second half.

Had 2,500 on a double Celtic Draw No Bet 4/5 the other team is winning 2-0 :( ah well should still get few pound profit off it back.

Some banners from today

4236181xr2vk4.jpg

img98111fs6.jpg

Not sure if I should feel welcome in Glasgow going by the 2nd pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Some banners from today

4236181xr2vk4.jpg

img98111fs6.jpg

Not sure if I should feel welcome in Glasgow going by the 2nd pic

They're such a delightful bunch those Rangers fans!! I'd say its scary stuff being a celt in Ibrox, particularly an Irish one.

On the game: I thought Celtic were woeful, particularly in the second half. We would've lost if it wasn't for the brilliant Boruc. That said, we still got a draw, and basically they just weren't good enough to beat us. If we play like that in the San Sero though we'll be crucified!!!!!

I was at the game, my first time in Ibrox. The performance against Copenhagen was much better than that so we were probably lucky to get a draw overall. I certainly didn't give us much chance of winning so I'm happy with a draw. I think yesterday was more a case of Rangers actually being decent than Celtic being poor.

I think both teams had chances and a draw was a fair enough result. The pitch was in awful nick so that didnt help any passing moves which is Celtic's game more than Rangers. A loss would have been a blip for Celtic, but given that it was at Ibrox a draw is a moral victory of sorts.

I dont think it will have any impact on the games in Milan which are far away.

A good days work for Celtic, even if off-colour, as they continue their march to the title.

Redspider

Blessing yourself a crime? He does it at every match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-zAFWGu-gc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

They're such a delightful bunch those Rangers fans!! I'd say its scary stuff being a celt in Ibrox, particularly an Irish one.

why,because they state the obvious

county wrote:

LOL yeah the sign was from lurgan :rolleyes:

From the Celtic Site:

DESPITE a disappointing result against Benfica, Celtic’s reputation in Europe was further enhanced this week thanks to the behaviour of the supporters.

Thousands had travelled to Lisbon for the UEFA Champions League match and, as well as giving outstanding backing to the team, also ensured they will never be forgotten in the Portuguese capital.

What touched the hearts of people in Lisbon and, indeed, football fans throughout Europe, was the wonderful tribute Celtic supporters made to Miklos Feher, a Benfica player who died two years ago after suffering a heart-attack during a game.

A special banner was displayed at Benfica’s stadium bearing the Hungarian player’s name, his No.29 shirt number and a message which read ‘Nunca caminharلs sozinho’ (You'll never walk alone).

And after the game, Benfica captain Simao and striker Nuno Gomez accepted the banner and a donation from Celtic fans which will be given to a hospital in Lisbon.

Nuno Gomez said: “It was a unique moment and a wonderful gesture and we want to say thank you.

“You don't see this often and fans around the world can learn a lot from these Celtic supporters.

“We are very glad because every day we remember our friend Miki Fehér. He is always with us. This is a great display of fair play from an opposition club.”

And Celtic captain Neil Lennon added: “You know how passionate these fans are, not just about their own club but about football worldwide. It's a tremendous gesture and they make us very proud.”

The response of the Benfica supporters to the banner spoke volumes for their gratitude to the Celtic fans, and the officials of Benfica were also deeply moved by the gesture, as was the UEFA delegate, Sandor Berzi from Hungary.

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “This was a wonderful gesture by Celtic supporters, paying tribute to Miklos Feher, a young Benfica player who died in such tragic circumstances.

“It was obvious that it was very much appreciated by the Benfica supporters and I know, from talking to the Benfica directors at the game, that they were overwhelmed by such a gesture, which transcended any football rivalry there was on the pitch.

“Our supporters were absolutely magnificent once again, at the match and in the city. They were a credit to the club.

“This tribute has touched, not only the hearts of everyone connected with Benfica, but the wider football community as well, and ensures that the name of Celtic continues to be held in the highest regard throughout Europe.”

UEFA delegate Sandor Berzi was grateful for the moving tribute to his fellow countryman. He said: “I was very surprised by this and expressed my thanks to the Celtic delegation at the directors’ lunch.

“And again when the presentation was made to the Benfica players after the game, I thanked the Celtic supporters because it was a fantastic thing they did.

“It’s already appeared on the website of the Hungarian Football Federation as well as other sports websites and everybody is very appreciative of what happened.

“And I also got in touch with his Hungarian club (Gyori ETO FC) and asked them to inform Miklos Feher’s parents as well.

“It is very often said that football is a big family but Celtic and its supporters have proved this.”

There were no arrests in Lisbon and Superintendent Alex McAllister and Chief Inspector Eddie Smith of Strathclyde Police, who were in Lisbon working with the local police before and during the match, praised the Celtic supporters.

Mr McAllister said: “The Celtic supporters were very well behaved and were fine ambassadors for the club and for Scotland.

“The match commander, Mr Carvalho, was delighted with the good behaviour and co-operation shown by the away support.”

• Advertisement

county wrote:

If your trying to be smart, you're not succeeding! :confused:

Blessing yourself a crime? He does it at every match.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_zlmJLhZs

eirebhoy wrote:

:confused:

As I said he does it before every match.

:confused:

As I said he does it before every match.
    And I'm showing proof that he does, what else were you expecting? :D

McGeady's trademark spin from Sunday:

http://www.zshare.net/download/mcgeady-rar.html

Great to have an Irish player invent a trick! ;) I've seen Ribery do it once or twice but he's not as good as Aiden.

• Advertisement
Advertisement