Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

odonnell wrote:
    id have preferred us to have played a bit more football as i feel WS still sets the team out to not concede, rather than going out to score. Bit lucky at times thats true, but then so were Red Star. Never much of a threat there apart from scrappyness.

Celtics turn.
    As long as Walter is in charge you won't be great to watch in Europe. I can't stand his negative tactics.

When I said last week that 0-0 was predictable, I wasn't being sarcastic. The guy is a baloon. He doesn't know how to attack in European games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

eirebhoy wrote:
    As long as Walter is in charge you won't be great to watch in Europe. I can't stand his negative tactics.

When I said last week that 0-0 was predictable, I wasn't being sarcastic. The guy is a baloon. He doesn't know how to attack in European games.

I think he knows HOW to attack mate, hes well versed and experienced enough to have his teams do that - ive seen enough of rangers under Walter to have seen the team rip european teams apart (it has been known!), but no i genuinely think he sets his stall to not concede, at all costs... thats why Hemdani came back into the fold last night in a formation which isnt being used in the SPL (4-5-1 with a defending mid sitting in front of defense). And it makes me curious - what WOULD happen if we played our nice attacking 4-4-2 as we do in the SPL? Would we get thumped? Why? I suppose the stakes are so high nobody is willing to experiment.

no bad thing i suppose, but like mentioned earlier - its really hard on the nerves when youre at 0-0 and waiting for 4 minutes injury time to tick down!!!

Now.... Celtic have near enough the same to do tonight dont they...

PREDICTIONS!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Was watching the game on Setanta last night as well. Red Star (or whatever they're going by these days) were not up to much imo. They didn't really do enough to put away Rangers. It was as much their lack of ability that decided the game than any profound tactical genius on Walter Smiths behalf it has to be said.

Darcheville did miss a great chance, but overall I'd say he's probably their best player.

Celtic face much tougher opponents tonight. At home in Parkhead, I'd be confident we can finish off the job though. More of what we saw last Saturday please bhoys!

it was just a messy game mate....typical scrappy, hard tackling game and the ball was never on the deck. i think the total yellow cards for them came to 10 over 2 legs, which should mean a ban or a fine or something because thats shocking.

I reckon you lot will find your opponents in much the same mould. I never saw the first leg but most of the russian, serbian, etc teams play the same kind of football. Have to hope Celtic can keep the ball down and remember to play their own game and not get drawn into the scrappy aspect of the game that Spartak may invoke.

Watched most of the first leg. Spartak were diving, cheating, conning baztards. They were pretty blatant and shameless about it too, plus they were the home team and with their baying fans the ref fell for some of their antics too. It's always a big advantage playing these type of teams at home, I just home we can hammer home that advantage.

It would be good if both Scotland teams made it, coz the co-efficent should go up sufficently to mean that at least one team will automatically make it to the group stages next year, while the second team make it to the 3rd round qualifiers.

odonnell wrote:
    I think he knows HOW to attack mate, hes well versed and experienced enough to have his teams do that - ive seen enough of rangers under Walter to have seen the team rip european teams apart (it has been known!), but no i genuinely think he sets his stall to not concede, at all costs... thats why Hemdani came back into the fold last night in a formation which isnt being used in the SPL (4-5-1 with a defending mid sitting in front of defense). And it makes me curious - what WOULD happen if we played our nice attacking 4-4-2 as we do in the SPL? Would we get thumped? Why? I suppose the stakes are so high nobody is willing to experiment.
    I can't even remember posting that last night. :D He is one of the most cautious managers out there though.

As for the coefficient. It's easier to get points in the UEFA cup so it didn't really matter if one of us got/gets knocked out of the CL. If Celtic win tonight will it be the first time 2 Scottish clubs have made the 'Champions league' proper?

good question... im not sure actually my memory is like a seive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lads is this game on anywhere tonight live??! how can setanta not show the second leg?!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Lads is this game on anywhere tonight live??! how can setanta not show the second leg?!!?

Any links even lads?

• Advertisement

Anyone with Sky Digital can tune in BBC Scotland.
    Go to services then system setup .
    Go to add channels .
    Enter the following:
    H
    5/6
    Then go to find channels ,a list will appear and bbc scotland will be one of the channels .Press the yellow key to put a tick beside it ,then press select .
    Go back press services again ,this time go to other channels and you should see it .
    Sit back and support the hoops .

Betfair were supposed to be showing this game but it's not in their schedule now. I can imagine that leaves people stuck unless there's a decent P2P stream.

Anyway, it's the same team as Saturday.

Boruc
    Wilson---Caldwell---McManus---Naylor
    -Nakamura--Donati--Brown--McGeady-
    Vennegoor--McDonald

Come on the Celts!!

Cheers Eirebhoy, my mate already tuned it in and i'm gonna head up to him and watch it now-this brown fella better not let ya down! ;)

Spartak the better team in the first half. The ref is a disaster. One of the worst I've ever seen. Naylor and Boruc close going head to head at the end.

Worrying tbh. The defence is a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Celts through 4-3 pens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Boruc the hero -2 saves in the shootout.

He reads the player so well, Boruc. He actually dived the wrong way for one peno tonight.:eek:

• Advertisement

Strachan said the players reckoned Spartak were the best team they've ever played at Celtic park in attacking terms.

I didn't notice it at the time as I was celebrating too much but that celebration from Boruc when he saved the last peno was hilarious. :D He acted all camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

eirebhoy wrote:
    I didn't notice it at the time as I was celebrating too much but that celebration from Boruc when he saved the last peno was hilarious. :D He acted all camp.

Yeah, what was that all about? Ridiculously gay!

Thought Spartak were fairly poor, their wingers were fairly handy though, at the back they were shambolic. Celtic weren't much better. Would like for Liverpool to get em in the groups to be honest, chance to banish the Uefa ghosts!

Now eirebhoy, on to Brown . . . world class/twice the player Arteta is?! . . . . really?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

eirebhoy wrote:
    hehe, someones getting a flying knee into the spine there :) Good job by the Bhoys anyway. Didnt see the game but happy to hear the result. Hopefully a nice draw tomorrow and last 16 again......or 8...4...2...1 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Now eirebhoy, on to Brown . . . world class/twice the player Arteta is?! . . . . really?!
    I'm almost sure he said that about Maloney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Exit wrote:
    He didnt know what to do ....... so did what came naturally :D

Deserved win for Celtic. That was an extraordinary 90 seconds of play when Celtic had three separate attacks all resulting in gilt-edged chances for Nakamura. The sending off came at a bad time for Celtic, as they had been really cutting Spartak open at that time, but it made Spartak re-group and get a bit more solid.

Although for extra time I was glad Spartak were a man short as otherwise they would have been far more dangerous on the break.

dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit....and so on... for around half an hour, steak pie everywhere, peas under the sofa, telly has a shoe hanging out of it.

congratulations.... :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

My head hurts. Bold beers. :D

Tremendous performance from Boruc once again. I thought we deserved to win overall, but it was very very tight, Spartak proved to be a handy side in both legs.

Naylor looked ropey at times, and has done for a while, I think it was a build-up of errors that had Boruc fuming with him. I hope, just hope that we invest a few quid in a left back. Fair play to Caldwell, he had a great game. Himself and McManus are definitely the strongest partnership we have at centre back.

Now for the bit to :eek: Eirebhoy... I thought Naka was just average which was disappointing. He worked his socks off, but I felt gave the ball away a little to easily, and of course that awful 2 min spell where he fluffed 3 chances, at least one of which was a sitter.

Ref was muck I thought, no way should that Caldwell incident have been a penalty, but justice done in the end. The sending off was harsh also in fairness.

Anyway, we're there, and we'll at least see 6 more Euro games, maybe more... who knows. :)

Well done Artur Boruc is the first thing I have to say. He made some great saves throughout the match, and in the penalty shootout he really came into his own. Having such a quality keeper has made the difference between getting into the lucrative, and exciting CL instead of the second rate UEFA cup.

Celtic looked very dodgy in the first half, they weren't helped by some woeful refeeing including a joke decision for the penalty, and anytime someone as much as sneezed 3 yards away from an opponent the ref would blow up for a free immediately (goddam european referees).

Naylor who I'm generally a fan of, got skinned alive by his man down that wing. The guy has been shown up to have a serious lack of pace and it could've cost us dear. Fair play to Boruc for getting on his case. He got poor enough cover from his defence in most of this game, I'd put a portion of the blame on Naylor who was too lax in a lot of what he did.

As an overall peformance, I was reasonably happy bearing in mind Spartak are high quality opposition who in fairness to them gave it a real go and gave us plenty to worry about.

Now hopefully the draw will be kind to us. :)

*fingers crossed* barcelona, valencia, Fenerbahçe..... :D

Oh yea, you're right, it was about Maloney he used the Arteta comparrison.

definately said Brown was world class though, didn't see anything near that last night tbh

Brown wasn't really in the game as much as I would have liked. He's new to the scene though. Getting something of a European baptism at the moment. He has huge potential. Hope he'll show us what he's capable of in the Group stage.

And Erin Go Brath, I agree that Naylor was gettin skinned alive, but Boruc was dead wrong to go at him like he did, looks awful for a team.

Seems like all decent goalies, Boruc is a tad bit mental :)

• Advertisement

Boruc was dead right. Naylor need a good kick up the ass for his laid back attitude. Boruc is the new Schmeichel. :)

Boruc was dead right. Naylor need a good kick up the ass for his laid back attitude. Boruc is the new Schmeichel. :)

Schmeichel is the new Schmeichel mate.... :)

odonnell wrote:
    *fingers crossed* barcelona, valencia, Fenerbahçe..... :D
    I see Celtic are 3rd seeds, and Rangers 4th for the draw.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=1/newsid=576667.html

In theory Rangers should get a seriously tough group. Don't ya know ye jammy gits will probably land a plum handy draw as per usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Really enjoyed that entertaining game last night. It had almost everything. I was a nervous wreck though :D

I see Celtic are 3rd seeds, and Rangers 4th for the draw.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=1/newsid=576667.html

In theory Rangers should get a seriously tough group. Don't ya know ye jammy gits will probably land a plum handy draw as per usual.

handy draw as per usual? yae mad?

last year - inter milan, porto.... then on to villarreal....
    03/04 - panathanaikos, stuttgart, and man utd!

easy eh? :) pfft.

Nah i hope now the draw is kind to both scottish teams. Last night a lot of bears were urging celtic to get gubbed basically so Rangers could take the extra tv money assigned to be split between the scottish clubs, but now thats decided, im hoping we both get to do well - the football world is more fun with us both in it.

definately said Brown was world class though, didn't see anything near that last night tbh
    Seriously lads, you make me sound like a bigger plonker than I deserve. I'm not that mad. I said I honestly believe Brown will go on to be a world class player. The comments about Maloney were made when I was drunk. Anyway, Brown played the holding role in the champions league at the age of 22 and did well. Brown will be world class.
    Celtic v Spartak: A game for the ages
    eleven-a-side.com
    Shane Breslin

It was the most exhilarating couple of hours you will see this season, a game for which the phrase “end-to-end football” could have been invented. This was football pared down to its finest particles: its beauty, its vitality, its essence to the millions who pay every week to follow their team, its exposure of brilliance and limitations on a grand scale.
    Celtic knew they were in for a test of wills when they were paired with Spartak Moscow, the Russian league leaders, in the draw for the Champions League’s final qualifying round. Spartak was the crocodile in the hat, the one unseeded side none of the big guns fancied.

That Gordon Strachan’s side came through was a glorious success in itself, the equal of any of those European nights of the recent past when Henrik Larsson bestrode the Parkhead turf. There are some, indeed, who would place Wednesday night’s occasion on the same plateau of elation felt at any time during the Jinky Johnstone or Billy McNeill era. Okay, there was no silverware at stake at Celtic Park on Wednesday night, but for many clubs in the Champions League era, tangible success can only be found in the group stages of this competition and beyond. Failure to reach that goal, especially in the wake of Rangers’ progress 24 hours earlier, would have brought a depression to the green half of Glasgow from which it may have been impossible to escape for the rest of the season.

But the essence of Wednesday night was much, much more than bare advancement. It was the manner of the game which took the breath away, in every instant, from its heartfelt applause in recognition of the deceased Sevilla and Spain midfielder Antonio Puerta, through the 60,000-voice rendition of “You’ll Never Walk Alone” at the first whistle, until the final penalty was struck more than two and a half hours later.

This was football in its most essential form. “The game that had everything” is a cliché so hackneyed that it cannot do justice to the events which unfolded at Parkhead last night. Another oft-used phrase, “end-to-end football”, could have been coined from just such a match. Strachan labelled it as the “best game you could wish to see”. There was something back to basics about it, with all of the fear but none of the caution which blights so much of top-level football.

Spartak’s quality was there for all to see. They possess a midfield orchestrator in Mozart, a young forward of real substance in Roman Pavlyuchenko, pace and power in the Brazilian Welliton. All had their moments in a first half of intense beauty. But the winger Vladimir Bistrov was, to borrow a phrase from American sport, the go-to guy. Having clearly identified Lee Naylor as a potential weak point in the Celtic armoury, the visitors brilliantly isolated the Englishman repeatedly in the opening exchanges. Bistrov provided a cutting edge which glistened in comparison to the blunt instruments on show on most Premiership Saturdays.

The sides were level at the end of the first 45 minutes, with Scott McDonald snaffling one of two clear chances which fell his way, but Spartak were well ahead on points. Bistrov outstripped Naylor time and again, requiring last ditch blocks from the awesome pair of goalkeeper Artur Boruc and captain Stephen McManus. Pavlyuchenko missed a penalty when the game was scoreless, the award by referee Roberto Rosetti, after the ball had fizzed back off Boruc and struck the prone Gary Caldwell on the arm, the inverse opposite of a “home-town decision”. The big Russian forward sent the Pole the wrong way but could only find the inside of the post and the ball spun across the face of the goal and away. But Pavlyuchenko, who will have had scouts furiously scribbling in their notebooks, made amends a minute before the break, controlling a corner kick in a crowded penalty area and volleying low past Boruc before the ball reached the ground. The half ended with a spat between Boruc and Naylor after the defender had once more been burned by Bistrov’s acceleration.

All too often, as the clock ticks on and teams retreat into the hard case of their protective shell, the latter stages of such a tie will disappoint. But as the stakes rose here, so did the pulse of the tie. Whoever came up with the away goals rule would have envisaged games like this. Celtic, evidently panicked by the thought that another Spartak goal would leave them needing to score twice, sought pre-emptive strikes by consistently taking the game to the Russians. The same knowledge kept Spartak on the front foot – one more goal, they were thinking, should be enough.

As Bistrov and Pavlyuchenko waned, Celtic found dominance from somewhere but they were unable to convert any of the chances which came their way. Aiden McGeady, providing an end product throughout, threaded a perfect pass to McDonald but the little Australian shot straight at Stipe Pletikosa. The crescendo continued to rise through three glorious chances for Shunsuke Nakamura in the space of 60 seconds. He was unable to grasp any, with Pletikosa saving twice – including from a one-on-one from the halfway line – before the Japanese blazed over with his third.

The breathlessness continued. Spartak were reduced to ten men. The game ticked into extra-time, where Boruc extended his entire length to tip a Kalinichenko chip away from harm and, heartbreakingly, Vennegoor of Hesselink smashed a penalty off the bar after Kovac blocked a Scott Brown shot with his hand. In the last seconds of extra-time and with destiny at his boots, substitute Boyarintsev raced onto a long pass but blazed his shot over Boruc’s bar.

It is to Celtic’s credit that players such as defender Gary Caldwell, Vennegoor of Hesselink again, impressive substitute Derek Riordan and the peripheral Maciej Zurawski all stepped up to the mark in the shoot-out. Nakamura’s night of near misses continued when his kick struck the underwide of the bar and bounced barely six inches outside the line. It was left to Boruc to emerge as the hero with saves from Titov and Kalinichenko.

Celtic advance but Spartak’s part in a glorious occasion should not be understated. It was a game for the ages, a night when the memory-bank was the real winner.

Artur Boruc: Emerged as the hero with two shoot-out saves. Quickly off his line to make two brave and crucial first half saves. His spat with Naylor seemed to enliven the English left back. Apart from a second half punch which went awry, a great night for the Pole. 8

Mark Wilson: Outfoxed by Pavlyuchenko for the Russians’ equalizer, Wilson was quietly effective for most of the game. Never breathtaking in attack but nor does he do a whole lot wrong in defence. 7

Gary Caldwell: Most unfortunate with the first half penalty decision as he was prone on the ground when the ball struck his arm. Justice done by Pavlyuchenko’s miss. Largely coped well with the threat of Welliton, and showed great nerve to take the vital first kick in the shoot-out. 8

Stephen McManus: A heroic performance by the skipper, executing some mindblowing tackles when Spartak were dominant before half-time. 9

Lee Naylor: Torn apart before the break by Bystrov’s pace and movement, and reacted angrily when pulled up by Boruc just before the break. But much better after the interval, aggressive in the challenge and contributing more in attack. 6

Shunsuke Nakamura: Spurned a hat-trick of chances inside 60 seconds when the game was in the melting-pot. His ability on the ball was always evident, but those misses chances – and his shoot-out failure – could have lived long in the memory of all Celtic supporters had Boruc not bailed him out. 6

Massimo Donati: A couple of misplaced passes aside, influential in midfield throughout. Whatever he may lack in Neil Lennon-like leadership, the Italian makes up for with superior mobility. 7

Scott Brown: Not seen at his marauding best but his contribution was no less vital for that. His tirelessness was evident in extra-time, when he was seen racing 60 yards to chase down a Spartak counter attack at one end and had the shot from which Celtic won their penalty at the other. 8

Aiden McGeady: Mesmerised his markers with quick feet. Whether right or left, almost always succeeded in getting a cross in, and his vision on the deck set up a fine second half chance for McDonald. A great night’s work by the Irish international. 8

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink: Will surely be dissatisfied with his role in Spartak’s equalizer, when he allowed Pavlyuchenko to chest down a corner before planting low past Boruc. Was the villain-in-waiting after missing his extra-time penalty but stood tall to make amends in the shoot-out. A couple of misdirected headers aside, never really threatened the goal. 6

Scott McDonald: Took his goal well, exploiting Shishkin’s miskick to first-time his finish past Pletikosa. But it could have been even better for the little Australian, who scuffed a clear early chance well wide and saw an extra-time header cannon off his shoulder and harmlessly away. 7

Subs:

Maciej Zurawski: Replaced McDonald in extra-time. His name was sung loud by the Celtic fans and his powerful penalty in the shoot-out will reinforce his endearment with the Bhoys fans. 7

Derek Riordan: Replaced McGeady for the last 17 minutes of extra-time. Looked a real threat and coped with the tension in the shoot-out with arguably the best kick of the 10. 7

Darren O’Dea: On for the injured Naylor towards the end of extra-time. Not on long enough to rate.

didn't mean to make ya sound like a plonker Eirebhoy, was just expecting great things after you bigging him up so much!

eirebhoy is....well.... not saying anything that scottish footie fans havent been saying for a couple of years now to be honest. Scott Brown IS seen as having the potential to go on to be a world class midfielder a-la Roy Keane. He isnt showing it yet in my opinion and will need time to adjust to the bigger stage, but i also believe he WILL show his abilities before this tournament is finished.

There have been better players than Brown to have failed to shine on the big stage.

Just out of interest, I presume you watched Scotland v Italy (or Italy v Scotland, whatever it was)? Apparently Brown was excellent that day and actually succeeded in frustrating Gatusso? :)

• Advertisement

Gatusso is permanently frustrated, thats no great achievement! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yeah brown had a good game against italy think it was his first start aswel.he has a bright future and once he settles into his role at celtic he will prove his worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Gravesen has joined Everton on a season long loan.

"I really look forward to coming back to Everton and to once again play at the top level."

As for the draw, Milan will stroll through the group. Benfica will finish bottom imo. I'm confident we'll get 2nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Haven't a clue. I guess they'd be paying at least the majority or there's no point in loaning him out.

CL Fixtures:
    Shaktar v Celtic - 18 Sept

Celtic v Milan - 3rd Oct

Benfica v Celtic - 24th October

Celtic v Benfica - November 6th

Celtic v Shaktar - November 28th

Milan v Celtic - December 4th

I know it's a tough start but we have to play every team home and away anyway. The Shaktar game won't be right in the middle of winter. Best to play Milan in the last game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

Is that the dates?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Not the worst group we could have got. I think we can beat Benfica, and if we can get a draw at home against Milan, anything is possible.

We can't take Shaktar for granted though. They caused us problems a couple of years ago, and they've since spent big since from what I've read.

I think it'll be a case of hoping Milan beat Benfica and Shaktar home and away and boost our chances of a 2nd place finish.

Rangers have a howler of a group. Getting a UEFA Cup place out of that group will be a struggle in itself.

Great news about Gravesen. That'll at least free up some wages for a while.

We've a decent chance of making the 1/4 final. Milan will win the group most probably. A three way battle for the 2nd place, with Celtic, Benfica, and Shaktar all eyeing up the 2nd spot, and not much between them in terms of quality.

We have to try and win in Parkhead, and get something from the away games and we're there. (easier said than done of course)

Rangers won't be happy with the group they've drawn. Wouldn't give them much of a chance tbh.

http://celticunderground.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=418&Itemid=1
    We've been told that Maloney will be a Celtic player by tomorrow night. Negotiations have been going on all day and Maloney has agreed to a 7 grand pay cut. He is expected for a medical tomorrow morning and should be available to play against St Mirren on Sunday.

There really isn't much more we can add at this point. If we get more we'll let you know. Man aren't we going to look silly if this one is wrong? All we can say is that the source is usually excellent.

UPDATE: We now hear that we are also in talks with a second player who is unknown to us at this stage.

Oh my god, please let this happen.

Exit wrote:
    Found this on a Celtic forum:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G7y84BDMWuI

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement