Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

In all fairness lads, ICT are Rank Rotten at the minute, i wouldnt read too much into this weekends results.
    What it will hopefully do is give us a kick up the ass, and cause Walter Smith to kiss n make up with Hemdani.

The nerves are jangling already for the CL games, its great to be back in it, and hopefully scottish football can carry on from the international squad and win some more recognition for oor wee country eh?:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote:
    In all fairness lads, ICT are Rank Rotten at the minute

Erm.... so are Hearts. :D Welcome back Eirebear by the way.

Just FYI - Sky Sports 2 are showing the Shakhtar v Celtic game tomorrow night, coverage starting from 7pm. I definitely saw an ad on Setanta saying that they are showing it also but I can't see it on the their online schedule.

EDIT: Also available on ITV Scotland, from 7.30pm, for those in Ireland with a Sky or FTA dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

ziggy67 wrote:
    Your right about ICT, the only signifigant thing about the result is that it put us top.

I would attach significance to the Rangers result though. The suspicion that you have a good enough first eleven to beat the rest of the SPL but have very little strength in depth is starting to bear fruit IMO.

Exactly. The purple vermin were dire in Celtic Park yet ran in four goals against the sectarians. Worrying for them. :D

ziggy67 wrote:
    Your right about ICT, the only signifigant thing about the result is that it put us top.

I would attach significance to the Rangers result though. The suspicion that you have a good enough first eleven to beat the rest of the SPL but have very little strength in depth is starting to bear fruit IMO.

I dont completely agree with that to be honest.
    If you look at the players who failed to perform on saturday for us, the main culprits were Cuellar Wier Hutton and Amdy Faye.

the first 3 have been on fantastic form this season, i doubt weir would have been playing if Webster hadnt been subject to a tackle which by all acount was tantamount to assault by an Ayr Utd player in a "friendly" last week and Amdy Faye is a loan signing who i have a funny feeling well see very little of this season as long as Smith and Hemdani sort themselves out.

All the Hearts result proved really is how important Fergie is to the team, and that if we do lose him we need someone with some leadership in his place.

• Advertisement

Aye especially considering theres an old firm game the weekend before the Barca/Milan games.

The SPL are so nice to their clubs in europe....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Well that was a poor performance against Shakhtar, mind you I never expected us to win. Shakhtar were even stronger than I thought they'd be, they were so pacey and with great passing skills, they were all over us.

While I didn't expect to win, I did expect us to bring something to the game, but we were awful. Boruc, McDonald, McManus and maybe Donati were decent (especially Boruc who once AGAIN saved us from an utterly embarrassing scoreline) but our "star" players like Brown and Nakamura were... how do the Scots say it... absolute pish. :( I don't mind getting beaten by a better side - which Shakhtar clearly are - but I hate when we play sh1te football like that.

Shakhtar were so dangerous coming at us - they were quick and never gave us a chance to shore up our defence - that's how you score goals. On the other hand, when we did have a spell of possession, we were way too slow in getting the ball into their box and by the time we did, they had everyone back and were in full control. I've never had such a strong urge to just turn the telly off during a Celtic game (not since Artmedia anyway ;) ), but I got that feeling watching the sh1te that Celtic served up last night.

We're in serious danger of becoming the group whipping boys. We lost all our away games last season but won all our home games to get us through. We won't win all 3 home games this season, I guarantee that, so we're going to have to pick up a point away against Benfica I reckon to have any hope of getting out of this group. Based on last night, we'll be lucky to get a UEFA Cup spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It could be tougher for Celtic in the CL this season. Shatkar have splashed out on several Brazillians and are a different prospect than in previous seasons, and so it proved last night. It will be interesting to see how they will perform back in Glasgow though. That is Celtic's trump card in these European matches, so an away loss is not the end of the world at this stage and there is a long way to go. Getting out of the group will be tough, and it always is for lower seeds.

In the league things are going well for Celtic. But Rangers were doing better too and it looks like it will be a 2 horse race. The Hearts loss for Rangers was a shock for me, as was Celtic's 0-5 away drubbing of them.

Overall, Celtic seem to be in a good position to do well.

In terms of McGeady and his lack-lustre performances for Ireland, I think it does show how match practice against the likes of Falkirk and Callie Thistle is just not good enough for many. McGeady didnt link up well at all in the international matches and had no productive output. Its a pity as it was a great opportunity for him to shine, make mazy runs, and keep possession, etc.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I thought Naka and Brown were poor.
    But have to give credit to Shaktar! They were class at times!

• Advertisement

I think Celtics major problem last night was the same as ours against Hearts at the weekend.
    Their major unit of players didnt perform, we all know about Celtics defensive frailties at the moment but their midfielders in Brown and Nakamura are normally very, very good at relieving the pressure, that didnt happen last night.
    Just as our defenders didnt perform at tynecastle, leading the whole team looking disjointed, Celtics midfield was the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Gillie wrote:
    I thought Naka and Brown were poor.
    But have to give credit to Shaktar! They were class at times!

At times? :eek:

Best 4th seeds by a mile.

But there is no way they can play that game away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

But there is no way they can play that game away from home.

They won't try to.

Celtic will have to score at least twice I think. Shaktar have great speed on the break, and will get a few chances to prove it. Unless Boruc has a miraculous game, even by his standards, they're odds on to grab at least one goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

redspider wrote:
    In terms of McGeady and his lack-lustre performances for Ireland, I think it does show how match practice against the likes of Falkirk and Callie Thistle is just not good enough for many. McGeady didnt link up well at all in the international matches and had no productive output. Its a pity as it was a great opportunity for him to shine, make mazy runs, and keep possession, etc.
    McGeady's problems last week were 100% confidence, I can't stress that enough. Of course quality of opposition plays a big part but McGeady's well capable of playing well against that Slovak defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

eirebhoy wrote:
    McGeady's problems last week were 100% confidence, I can't stress that enough. Of course quality of opposition plays a big part but McGeady's well capable of playing well against that Slovak defence.

Well, if those displays were due to problems with his confidence, he needs to get that sorted out before he gets back on the pitch again in an Irish shirt.

For Aiden to progress with his development and career, he should now be at a stage where he could easily take on some Slovak defenders and run them ragged, especially on a one-on-one situation, and have the vision to lay-off, do one-two's, make by-lines for crosses, etc. He certainly didnt display it in the 1st match, and Staunton should have benched him and allowed him to come on as an 'impact sub' in the 2nd match perhaps, where fresher legs late in the game could have stretched them and kept posession.

But his defending skills are suspect, I think, and are not needed in most Celtic matches. I noticed he was a sub against Shaktar and only came on at the 65 min stage. Perhaps it was foolish of Staunton to play him at all in two away games which were likely to see us (Ireland) doing some defending.

Aiden is 21 now so can no longer be considered a 'kid'.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Agree with you about McGeady, he should be having a bigger impact on the International scene

Really disappointed that we did not hold our nerve for the 1st 20 minutes last night, we could (should?) have been 4 down by then. SD were really quick and looked like they could carve us open at will. The penny pinching on defenders has come home to roost.

redspider wrote:
    Well, if those displays were due to problems with his confidence, he needs to get that sorted out before he gets back on the pitch again in an Irish shirt.
    I've always said we won't see the best of McGeady for another 6, 7, 8 years when he's a senior player. He's an extreme confidence player, one of the worst. He's pretty much sorted his confidence problems out at Celtic now. He has the trust of his teammates. It'll take him a long time to sort it at international level.

According to Japanese papers Naka has been playing with a knee injury in the last few weeks and it got too bad against Shahktar. He's now a doubt for the Milan match and will definitely miss the next couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Great win for the Hibees today, probably lucky due to Boruc's errors, however given our own costly errors from keepers last year, we're due a bit of luck and for the same fate to befall some other teams.

Nice to see Caley Thistle getting all 3 yesterday as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Strange game for Celtic. The 2 goals from McGeady & Caldwell were crackers although ithe defence did not play well. 2 absolute howlers from Boruc though

Boruc is always vulnerable to days like that. I watched him play for Poland against Armenia and he had a nightmare. One bad mistake, his face goes red and he's as nervous as hell. He doesn't show that on the outside though. I got stick on a Celtic forum for saying that Shay Given is a lot better than Boruc. Obviously I must be biased because I'm Irish. Boruc is not as good as Given but he's better than Craig Gordon imo. Actually, he's definitely better than Gordon.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting Celtic to win today. I just can't trust Celtic with the current defence and I'll be saying that at least until January. Not one of the Celtic defence would make the Ireland team.

I'm delighted for McGeady. He had a quiet day with 2 or 3 players on him all the time but he didn't make many mistakes. That goal will have lifted a weight off his shoulders. I remember he scored 1 last season and then got a few more within a few weeks.

I'm not too disappointed but Naka is vital to us. He better be back soon.

Thought it was a great game, Hibs played well and we also played great. Plenty of passing football and plenty of chances also. No doubt that we should have won 1-2 but Boruc made a couple of very rare mistakes - we definitely had the edge I thought bar of course the goal-keeping. Hopefully he'll just put it down to a bad day at the office. He's got us through so many times before (like United in last season's CL, and Spartak this season) and I hope it doesn't dent his confindence. Knowing him I'm sure it won't! :D

Thought Hartley had a great game and McGeady was excellent also. Brown was good but still not at his best I thought. Thought Donati was good also and I still think Doumbe is going to be a handy player - liked seeing him coming forward attacking today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

KdjaCL wrote:

Ahh the "green brigade" arent they a funny bunch of characters? :p

Anyway, could sunday have been a better day to be a Rangers fan?
    Beating the sheep 3-0 will always put a smile on our face... All three goals scored by Scottish players, all three goals crackers.
    Celtic get beat...Boruc makes himself look silly, as do the Celtic support!

More of the same please! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

wooooo boy youre pushing it now id say. better keep your head down like me until equilibrium is re-established and celtic go top of the league again hehe

Ach mate, ive tried keeping my head down since the midweek results....it was too hard after this weekend! :D
    ziggy....i never gloat mate...never......;)

ziggy67 wrote:
    Fire away boys, i know i'd be gloating if it was the other way around.

Besides you won't be getting too many more chances to gloat this season :)

aaaah ziggy.... ziggy ziggy ziggy ziggy, ziggy...

of COURSE we wont gloat mate, because.....

....well....

We're just better than yous :D

• Advertisement

so they say mate.... so they say.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Thats the spirit, you are "tha peepil" after all :)

Of course we are ziggy, of course we are!
    Whaddya reckon tomorrow then......perfect set up for the broken celtic badge to appear in the papers if you ask me! ;)

i see dundee is on the new UK edition monopoly board.

i was questioning the reason behind this but ill wait and see tonight ;) hehe

i reckon itll be comprehensive enough... 4-1 celtic.

• Advertisement

We should go for as full strength a squad as we can. Dundee are on form at the moment, and we've experienced ropey cup ties before (Clyde for example).

Plus, Alex Rae is their manager so beating them is the only option. :)

Oh, this one is also on the box by the way for those with Sky or digital FTA:
    Sportscene will provide live television coverage of the CIS Cup game from Dens Park on BBC One Scotland. Kick-off 1945 BST

aye setanta are showing it. might tune in myself just for the craic! the last time i watched a celtic match they got beat so.... hmmm :)

odonnell wrote:
    aye setanta are showing it. might tune in myself just for the craic! the last time i watched a celtic match they got beat so.... hmmm :)

Ahh yes, sounds like the jinx I have except mine is as soon as I walk into the pub when an Ireland game is on (I'm always late no matter how well I plan it), we concede goals. It's happened so many times it's not funny. :(

Of course, there is always the possibility that it could be more down to Ireland being sh1te rather than me being jinxed. :D

Ahhhh jinxes....were a superstitious bunch us football fans arent we?
    Ive actually stopped taking a drink when im watching old firm games at home or in the pub since the day Ugo scored against you...... dont worry though i made up for it afterwards!

Gonna be in spain for the first one this season so i doubt im gonna get to see it anywhere :( and the Barca game the following wednesday :(

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote:
    Gonna be in spain for the first one this season so i doubt im gonna get to see it anywhere :( and the Barca game the following wednesday :(

I'm sure you'll find a nice Irish bar to watch the OF game in, no? ;) I'll give you a nice hoops top so you can blend in. :D

Believe me mate...i used to work behind the bar in failte, ive had enough experience in grinning quietly!
    One John hartson penalty at the end of a cis cup final ended up with me being banned from working old firm games!

Problem is im in a little town midway between seville and malaga...all ive found so far is a scottish pub in seville, so hopefully theyll have it!
    The barca game should be easy enough to find in a hotel or pub locally

the only downside of my jynx is that i have to sit through games i wouldnt normally watch.

youll be receiving a few in the post from bears reading this.

how much is a season ticket at parkhead these days...im sure we could all chip in eh? :D

Tough shift tonight, Dundee were every bit as tricky as I thought they'd be, and Strachan didn't take any chances with the squad being as stong as it could be without injured Naka, Hartley, McGeady etc..

Boruc was nothing short of brilliant and saved our asses again with some cracking saves. The ref was a joke though, could have been a better game had he allowed it to flow a bit more, but insisted on blowing the whistle every minute. Seems to have problem with Sno for some reason.

Donati looked the best Celtic player I thought aside from Boruc. Great header from the wee man as well.

I can't stand that ref more than anyone. He loses his temper over the slightest thing.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I can't stand that ref more than anyone. He loses his temper over the slightest thing.

I'm not one to normally give off about refs, and he did award us a penalty, but he was hopeless, as was one of the linesmen. I thought it was a good game that could have been a great game had he allowed it to flow a bit better. Some of the "fouls" he called were just crazy. :(

He definitely had it in for Sno. I defy anyone who saw that game to tell me that 75% of the "fouls" that Sno committed were actually fouls.

Oh come on guys...you won, he gave you a penalty and he sent off a dundee player for "applauding" a decision.
    Nah your right he sounds like he was pretty dismal alright :D;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement