Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Blackjack wrote:
    we scored 3 against you last game we played as well. Watched it all from the east Stand at the Leith San-Siro. Keeper cost us all 3 points that day.

Keepers have been costing you lot points for quite a while now have they not;)

CL predictions
    Lyon 2 Rangers 1
    Celtic 1 Milan 2

Heh! just noticed a Shot at Glory is on the telly, wonder if ally is watchin!

ITV4 if you can get it...awful movie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Lyon 2 Currant Buns 0
    Celtic 0 Milan 1

tutut....secret shame and all that? ;)
    still least we can expect from the jungle jims aint it!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Lyon 3 Rangers 1
    Celtic 1 Milan 3

Have to say bhoys, i'm not confident ahead of Wednesday.
    Milan are European Champions and arguably still the best team in Europe. We are too threadbare at the back, and I doubt our ability to contain them. Wee Chesneys failure to bring in defenders is going to cost us dear in the CL at least.

Caldwell is not my idea of a central defender at this level. It's going to be a nerve wracking 90 minutes. I just hope I'm wrong and we do keep it together at the back, not likely though. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lyon 3 Rangers 1
    Celtic 1 Milan 3

Have to say bhoys, i'm not confident ahead of Wednesday.
    Milan are European Champions and arguably still the best team in Europe. We are too threadbare at the back, and I doubt our ability to contain them. Wee Chesneys failure to bring in defenders is going to cost us dear in the CL at least.

Caldwell is not my idea of a central defender at this level. It's going to be a nerve wracking 90 minutes. I just hope I'm wrong and we do keep it together at the back, not likely though. :(

While I agree we are not strong at the back, I honestly don't think Stachan or the board are to blame for not bringing in new defenders. Everyone knows we need a couple of new defenders but do people really think that the manager and board purposely ignored that need?

We often fail to attract targets because of low wages (in relative terms of course :D ) and the quality of the league we play in. It's not just as simple as picking a target and getting them. And if we bought in someone sh1te, the fans would be up in arms even moreso.

We showed before how we can shut up shop against Milan, we need to do that tomorrow night. If we can play a good game, watch the sloppy passing and take no risks, I'll be happy enough regardless of the result. Giving possession away cost us dearly against Shakhtar, we must cut that out of our game.

If we don't get something from this game, we're pretty much fcuked as far as I can see. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote:
    Celtic fans...quick opinion poll for me as i cant quite gauge whats going on....John Reid, happy or not?

Don't know much about him but as long as he's dedicated and has the best interests of the club at heart, I couldn't care less what his background is. That being the case, it's a thumbs-up from me. :)

I like the idea of having life-long supporters running the club, and by all accounts Reid is just that.

PauloMN wrote:
    While I agree we are not strong at the back, I honestly don't think Stachan or the board are to blame for not bringing in new defenders. Everyone knows we need a couple of new defenders but do people really think that the manager and board purposely ignored that need?
    Maybe I'm ignorant, but who's responsible then? I read an excellent article by Charlie Nicholas a few weeks back where he was shocked by the lack of effort Celtic made to strenghen the defence. I fully agree with his assesment that this is where we are going to fall short this year.
    PauloMN wrote:
    We often fail to attract targets because of low wages (in relative terms of course :D ) and the quality of the league we play in. It's not just as simple as picking a target and getting them. And if we bought in someone sh1te, the fans would be up in arms even moreso.
    Maybe true, but it's the lack of a concerted effort to get said players in that is the issue.

PauloMN wrote:
    If we don't get something from this game, we're pretty much fcuked as far as I can see. :(
    If we do lose this game, we'll most likely be targetting the 3rd place and UEFA cup spot as the only viable alternative for a good euro season.

EGB - I'm not saying they are not responsible for improving the team, but they have to look to see who is available, who is within the transfer budget (there is a limit they can pay even if there's no "budget" as such), who fits in the wage structure and most importantly, who wants to come. There's a lot of ifs and buts there.

With all due respect, how do you know there wasn't a concerted effort to bring in new defenders? I know I cannot say there was, but at the same time if we brought in two new midfielders, I can't see how/why they would have completely ignored the defence knowing and seeing what they do.

I too am disappointed we didn't strengthen the back 4, but at the same time we got Brown, Donati and McDonald - all of whom I'm delighted with. We'll just have to roll with it until Jan I guess.

Regarding the UEFA Cup spot - I think there'll be as much of a fight for 3rd spot in our group as there will be for 2nd. Will be interesting to see how it pans out if nothing else.

I read an excellent article by Charlie Nicholas

nah, dont believe you...:D I reckon you read a good article with Charlie Nicholas' name attatched to it!

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    If they want to improve the defence simply play Darren O'Dea, who is the best defender at the club IMO.

He had a good game against Milan last season, I'd be happy to see him get another go on that basis.

JVoH definetly out according to news reports over here.
    Is Naka out?

Lyon 0 - 1 Rangers at half time... :eek:

God, if you can hear me up there, do something.... please! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Eirebear wrote:
    Keepers have been costing you lot points for quite a while now have they not;)
    certainly have. New boy is a bit sharper though.

PauloMN wrote:

0 - 2 :eek: :eek: :eek:

I meant do something ELSE God!!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PauloMN wrote:

kdjac

PauloMN wrote:

0 - 3. :eek: x10000000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

PauloMN wrote:

You should be pleased that at least one Scottish team is prepared to give it a go in Europe this season.

3-0

Great performance by Rangers.

PDN wrote:
    You should be pleased that at least one Scottish team is prepared to give it a go in Europe this season.

3-0

Great performance by Rangers.

They are playing well and credit to them, they've surprised themselves as well as everyone else. Lyon are an absolute shambles and if they play like that in Ibrox, I think Rangers will be setup to take 2nd place in their group.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote:

well paul i think that proves whos side god is on! :D
    Stunning, stunning win for rangers tonight and i think we will go through now.

as for lyon being a shambles...im sorry but we defended absolutely brilliantly, keeping lyon from creating anything clear cut other than Juninho shots and free kicks. (we should be looking to sign that post by the way!)
    we took our chances and deserved the win...fan dabby dozy!

Eirebear wrote:
    well paul i think that proves whos side god is on! :D
    Stunning, stunning win for rangers tonight and i think we will go through now.

as for lyon being a shambles...im sorry but we defended absolutely brilliantly, keeping lyon from creating anything clear cut other than Juninho shots and free kicks. (we should be looking to sign that post by the way!)
    we took our chances and deserved the win...fan dabby dozy!

Yep looks like 2nd place is pretty much Rangers for the taking with Barca winning again also. Couldn't have worked out better.

I agree Rangers defended very well and were better than I thought they'd be (and better than you thought they'd be going on your prediction). They deserved to win and it'd be foolish to suggest it was luck. 0-3 isn't luck in the CL, that's for sure.

However, Lyon were a shambles - there's no getting away from that. They are certainly not the team they were a couple of seasons ago.

I saw the Rangers performance summed up well on a Celtic forum I read - it said that the Rangers performance tonight "were a master class in how to play away from home in the CL". I think that's pretty much nail on the head. Defend well, keep the head especially for the first 20 mins or so, frustrate the other team, and take any chance that comes along. Everything we didn't do against Shakhtar.

PauloMN wrote:
    Yep looks like 2nd place is pretty much Rangers for the taking with Barca winning again also. Couldn't have worked out better.

I agree Rangers defended very well and were better than I thought they'd be (and better than you thought they'd be going on your prediction). They deserved to win and it'd be foolish to suggest it was luck. 0-3 isn't luck in the CL, that's for sure.

However, Lyon were a shambles - there's no getting away from that. They are certainly not the team they were a couple of seasons ago.

I saw the Rangers performance summed up well on a Celtic forum I read - it said that the Rangers performance tonight "were a master class in how to play away from home in the CL". I think that's pretty much nail on the head. Defend well, keep the head especially for the first 20 mins or so, frustrate the other team, and take any chance that comes along. Everything we didn't do against Shakhtar.

Nah paul i agree with you that they arent the team they once were...but there still no mugs!
    All over this forum at the moment you can see signs of "lyon are crap" ets etc. But they are back on top of the french league, and they wont be far away at the end of the season... (although according to one guy its an easy league to win!)
    But hey, apart from signing the left hand post in the second half, i dont see where we could have changed that performance ;)

Hi guys, looking for a wee bit of advice. I'm planning on going up towards parkhead tonight to take pictures of the fans going to the game.
    I've never been in parkhead so whats the best place for me to go so that i might catch milan fans as well as celtic fans?
    cheers

Eirebear wrote:
    Hi guys, looking for a wee bit of advice. I'm planning on going up towards parkhead tonight to take pictures of the fans going to the game.
    I've never been in parkhead so whats the best place for me to go so that i might catch milan fans as well as celtic fans?
    cheers

Right, enough, just admit it mate, you ARE a Tim!!! :D:D:D Either that or you're on a gloating mission!

Assuming away fans enter the same area for the Champions League as they do for SPL games, the best place would be the corner where the Lisbon Lions stand is. Away fans usually enter sections 118/119. This may help:

http://www.celticfc.net/NetFrame_Client/1_0_0/Pages/DisplayImage.aspx?resourceID=698496a3-4017-479a-a8d8-59a8f055eadd

Coming from the city, walk up the London Road, past the shop/main entrance and then take a left - that will being you to the corner where the away fans enter.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote:
    Right, enough, just admit it mate, you ARE a Tim!!! :D:D:D Either that or you're on a gloating mission!

Assuming away fans enter the same area for the Champions League as they do for SPL games, the best place would be the corner where the Lisbon Lions stand is. Away fans usually enter sections 118/119. This may help:

http://www.celticfc.net/NetFrame_Client/1_0_0/Pages/DisplayImage.aspx?resourceID=698496a3-4017-479a-a8d8-59a8f055eadd

Coming from the city, walk up the London Road, past the shop/main entrance and then take a left - that will being you to the corner where the away fans enter.

Nah mate, i'm a photographer.:p
    I took a couple of the stuttgart fans last week that i met in town (ended up drinking with them instead of working lol) and it basically gave me the idea of doing a "Glasgow in the Champions League" kind of thing, so hopefully the weather calms down and theres a wee bit of colour about tonight.
    Thanks for the help, ill head up there for about half 6ish or so and see what happens, get home and watch the rest of the game on the couch! Leaving all gloating untill i see the result ;)
    Stuttgart Fans
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1165/1412220609_35af4835c3.jpg
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1423/1413106504_aa0e5bf9f4_o.jpg

Excellent stuff, would be interested in seeing some of the ones from tonight also when you have them. Glad you're taking them before the match... better chance of getting Celtic fans looking happy at that point. ;)

PauloMN wrote:
    Excellent stuff, would be interested in seeing some of the ones from tonight also when you have them. Glad you're taking them before the match... better chance of getting Celtic fans looking happy at that point. ;)

lol thats why im going before hand...too much chance of some recognising me (99% of the folk in know family and freinds are "celtic minded") and my camera getting clobbered over my noggin....the nogin im not too worried about but the cameras not insured yet :cool:

So if i head up London road towards the front entrance as paul said, ill be ok?

• Advertisement

What the **** happened with Dida?

Anyway good result for celtic on the pitch tonight, i actually hope that you dont get done for this idiot....no really...i do...i think.;)

Anyway your intrepid reporter went behind enemy lines tonight, unfortunately my lateness combined with the torrential rain that typically plagues this city means that im gonna have to do a real salvage mission on them in the morning.
    Hopefully ill have something for yous to have a wee butchers at then.

As i said good result tonight, i hope you dont get hammered for it, although i will be interested to see how the papers report it in the morning.......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dida's always dodgy. :)

Shaktar will qualify now, they're class.

Obviously i havnt done it properly enough.....so Well done Celtic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Did u not read the heading on this Eirebear off with u 2 ff and start ur own thread ..................... naw is now in ur intrest . Ur a sad person to come to boards for??????????????????????????:rolleyes:

eirebhoys wrote:
    Did u not read the heading on this Eirebear off with u 2 ff and start ur own thread ..................... naw is now in ur intrest . Ur a sad person to come to boards for??????????????????????????:rolleyes:

Who the hell are you and "its in my own interest"? wow thats good, nothing better than a keyboard hardman eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

eirebhoys wrote:

I think you need to log off and enjoy the night

Nice 2 c yur alive :cool:

ziggy67 wrote:
    Feck me, your getting a hard time tonight Eirebear :eek:

This is after a win too!
    Hey man....all in a days work ;)
    Looking forward to hear chesneys comments on the fan though...:D

A Dub in Glasgow why humour this man !

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote:
    Hey man....all in a days work ;)
    Looking forward to hear chesneys comments on the fan though...:D

He point blanked refused to comment when interviewed by Sky

eirebhoys wrote:
    A Dub in Glasgow why humour this man !

I know some quite decent Rangers fans and eirebear looks like he is one although I thought his comment on Dida was nonsense :D

:D

Don't know what to feel tonight. I'm more angry with that *$&%ing £(^ker that ran on to the pitch for spoiling the party. We've beaten the European champions and I feel like we've lost. By Friday, we may well have.

All I hope is that UEFA will view this for what it is. Dida was hardly touched - not that I excuse the p%&ck running onto the pictch - but it hopefully will count for something. Also I hope Dida's antics will work in our favour - it is quite clear that he was looking to take advantage of the situation by cheating the ref, it's so clear from the replays. I hope we escape with a fine, I'd hate to have games behind closed doors, or even worse, a scoreline reversed. Hope that cnut got a really good thumping also. :mad:

Anyway - the game - great stuff, good defending and we took our chances. We did everything we never did against Shakhtar, and it paid off. Only downside really was Naylor who I thought was awful.

Hopefully we can continue our good home form at home, and if we can take something from either Benfica away or Milan away, I think we'll have done all we can in the group.

Thats a shame....i was hoping the Devil Dug quote would come back :D
    I know some quite decent Rangers fans and eirebear looks like he is one although I thought his comment on Dida was nonsense

Hey, im allowed a wee bit of nonsense every now and then eh?:p

C'mon the hoops!!!!!! :D:D:D

Can't believe we just beat the champions of Europe. (Plus the ref who was giving them every help)

I think the double sub with 6 minutes left gave us the impetus we needed to go for the win.

On the subject of Dida, his playacting at the end was one of the most disgraceful things i've seen. I hope he gets done for bringing the game into disrepute.... the plonker :mad:

All in all, a great result which I didn't think we would get.

I know some quite decent Rangers fans and eirebear looks like he is one although I thought his comment on Dida was nonsense :D

Right mate but this is only outlet here .Why should he talk about Tims talk, start his own thread about a great result last night for scotish futbul. 0-3:eek:

eirebhoys wrote:
    Right mate but this is only outlet here .Why should he talk about Tims talk, start his own thread about a great result last night for scotish futbul. 0-3:eek:
    Yawn......

Seriously dude, along with ADIG, PaulMON,Eirebhoy,Ziggy, Redspider and a couple of others im probably here more often than anyone else....why, because we get a bit of a laugh and believe it or not, Rangers fans and Celtic fans can actually talk sensibly about football together...maybe when you grow up you might realise that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

well done the hoops, i hope there's no repercussions as a result of that nutter running on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think the double sub with 6 minutes left gave us the impetus we needed to go for the win.
    The double sub set up the goal if I remember correctly. Wasn't it a cross from Killen to Naka? Naka took the cross down with his sexual first touch and then superbly passed it into the box. ;)

Advertisement