Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ziggy wrote: »
    Aye, most of the yellow cards were for poor tackles is no surprise. Most of the team are poor tacklers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

that wasnt fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That was bad

The more I see the Cousin mid air whack into McManus, the more I think he meant it. He then tried to do the same to O'Dea soon after. I am pretty sure McCoist was congratulating Cousin as McManus was being treated on the pitch.

McCurry, as usual in these games, was ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

That was bad

The more I see the Cousin mid air whack into McManus, the more I think he meant it. He then tried to do the same to O'Dea soon after. I am pretty sure McCoist was congratulating Cousin as McManus was being treated on the pitch.

Yes, thank you. I was thinking exactly the same thing about McCoist. If it is true it shows what a goon he really is!

I hate harping on about it, but our lack of bringing in a defender during the close season was bound to affect us especially if we suffered injuries, which we currently are.

Not much to say about that game except we defended badly, (Mick going off was a disaster for us) and we never really got going. Jarosik was poor, Donati didn't do much either. I'd like to see Sno getting more games, i believe he's a promising player who could benefit by being a regular. McDonald looked a bit petulant at times, and strayed offside way too often, that said i'm a big fan of his, and he probably wasn't suited to being up front on his own.

The result isn't a disaster in the sense that we are now equal on points, and not behind Rangers in the table. Still a dissapointment though. I really hope we get one over on them in Parkhead. We're due an OF win at this stage!!!

We destroyed them in the first half of the last Old Firm at Celtic Park. Should have been 2 or 3 nil by half time. McGeady and Naka running amok. Rangers scored early in the 2nd half and Celtic couldn't break them down. We'll beat them at Celtic Park this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

sorry lads..i WAS going to post about the match but dont think i can now... mccoist is NOT a goon and theres no WAY he would have been CONGRATULATING cousin after the mcmanus injury.

To THINK such a thing is just senseless lads - you ought to know better guys - i expected more of yous. McCoist hasnae a bad bone in his body and to suggest ANY player/manager/coach or any other professional sportsperson/footballer - let alone McCoist, would congratulate someone on causing a life threatening injury - is not only absurd, but sour grapes and downright daft!

Expected more of yous guys... seriously. Umpteen years of McCoist laughing and winding up players and having a laugh on tely, on the pitch, in general anywhere hes been seen - hes been seen laughing and making jokes - and yous reckon he was laughing at McManus?

eh.... naw.

I presume then that after Charlie Adams handball McCoist was congratulating the assistant ref on picking it up too, as he was on camera having a laugh with him just after. Jaysus you lot cant half go to some extremes to find something to hate us for. Lets forget about Boruc winding up the fans again and getting involved where hes not needed - we wont fine him, not like we did Gazza back in the day. Naw...we will convince ourselves the huns were gloating over injuring some poor guy.

odonnell wrote: »
    sorry lads..i WAS going to post about the match but dont think i can now... mccoist is NOT a goon and theres no WAY he would have been CONGRATULATING cousin after the mcmanus injury.
    I hope your right, it looks like that was the case thats all we're saying. Watch it again. Even if mccoist wasn't gloating, it was a tad insensitive to be joking and laughing with the player who just caused a serious injury, while the player was lying down obviously badly injured!

mate.. its just in the spotlight because its Ally on old firm day, and Rangers won. For every goal he scored in his career, theres probably as many clips showing him having a laugh with the opposition defenders, or winding up the ref, or..... and so on. I just hate to see the likes of this from you guys you know?

[edit - shortly after the injury, your man was due to get stretchered off and the ref ran over to cousin to tell him he had to leave the field of play...cousin screwed up his face like..."wha? ummmm ok then" and then ran to the touchline. now i would hazzard a guess that this is what ally was rippin the piss for]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

LOL, sour grapes indeed.

Celtic get 9 yellow cards and yet Rangers are the dirty ones...:rolleyes:

BTW, any word on McManus? I'm not being sarky, he's important for Scotland and you never like to see anyone getting badly injured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Class result for Rangers there. Will make a huge difference to both sides confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Just a blip for Celtic im not worried at all about the season, when Hartley and jvoh are back will do alright, Can't wait till the 2nd of january im goin to it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Mcmanus is sitting up in hospital now tank god for that, hopefully he'll be back soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dreadful game, turned it off after the penalty decision. There was a lot of poor tackles from Celtic, but we defo had a ref with blue tinted specs. ;) Too easy with the card, most of the tackles warranted a talking to, not yellows. I watched the rest of the Liverpool game and saw a few similar tackles, no yellows dished out for those.

"Whose the mason in the black?" :D (Joking lads)

Anyway, yellow cards are a moot point when the real problem was a very poor performace by Celtic. Smith has how to play in he SPL nailed down, no doubt about it. Rangers don't have a lot of quality but they do have grit and determination, as well as a few solid players in key positions (Cuellar was very good I thought, Ferguson also and Novo of course). Pains me to say but I think McGregor is in better form than Boruc right now.

Naka and McGeady were pretty poor today, and Donati was a real mixed bag - bundled off the ball far too easily for someone his size. Jarosik and Sno, I dunno, they never seem to "fit" the team, never seem quite sure of what to do when they get the ball, and there was lots of that today. Naylor... sigh, he's just getting boring now he's so bad. Hard to believe he was immense last season.

Caldwell was the best of a bad lot, and McDonald tried hard but seemed to get caught offside more often than not.

As a team, we just don't seem to have figured out the new-look Rangers. Of course, we're all over the place at the moment in our formation because of injuries, but still we should not be putting in such poor shifts. Midfield was the real problem today, we just kept giving it away with poor passing or being pushed off the ball there.

I fear for Wednesday lads, I really do. I think we need a point to have any hope of getting out of our group, and I don't think we've a snowballs chance in hell the way we're playing at the moment. :(

Here's hoping McManus is ok, didn't look good. As for the McCoist thing, I honestly don't think he'd have been joking about McManus being injured, I don't think he's that sort of chap, even though he's a hun. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Fwaggle wrote: »

Celtic get 9 yellow cards and yet Rangers are the dirty ones...:rolleyes:

Most of those yellows were for first fouls yet it was not a dirty game. Go figure

Agree with ya zig. It was a train wreck of a performance! I'm nervous ahead of Benfica now. We'll have to improve dramatically.

Trying to be positive, maybe we got the kick up the ass we needed at the right time. I can't see us playing as badly as that again tbh!

I said on here after the Gretna match that Gretna showed how to beat Celtic. Rangers obviously learned from that as they used the same tactic. No matter where our players are on the pitch pressurise them. That sounds obvious but very rarely do teams do that to the opposition. Very rarely is the opposing holding midfielder man marked. I don't think Benfica are capable of doing what Rangers did to us. They may exploit a weak defence though.

• Advertisement

Boruc telling it as it is:
    "Do i have to shake hands with players after every game? No, especially against them (Rangers). I dont have to like them... i dont like them, thats it. I dont like this club, players - end of. "

If Boruc wasn't a footballer player he'd be one of those Ultra's.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFgMd0TkRIQ

:D

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Boruc telling it as it is:
    "Do i have to shake hands with players after every game? No, especially against them (Rangers). I dont have to like them... i dont like them, thats it. I dont like this club, players - end of. "

If Boruc wasn't a footballer player he'd be one of those Ultra's.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFgMd0TkRIQ

:D

What a fine sportsman he is.

"Rangers players were winding us up at every opportunity, they were giving us abuse that was hard to take, really. They were also kicking us off the park, but the referee didn't react to be honest. Thats a shame. Then, after all these incidents, they are coming to me and the rest of my team-mates to "shake hands"... dear, oh dear. They shouldn't do it if they have any pride left in them."

I think he also said before the game that he'd rather quit football than play for Rangers. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I think he also said before the game that he'd rather quit football than play for Rangers. :)

I like the guy more and more after every OF game to be honest.

Boruc, my hero. :) He's on a fast track to becoming a Celtic cult hero if he keeps coming out with this kind of stuff. :)

much in the same way gazza became a cult hero for mock flute playing on the touchline - ultimately an idiotic thing to do and condemned by both sides of the divide. the guy needs to learn when to shuttit and keep himself to himself on the pitch - or has everyone here been missing all his wee snide gestures to opposing fans this last 2 years?

no wonder people try to wind him up... much in the same vein as Lennon - he doesnae like it when someone gets the better of him.

Sorry lads, i know yous like your keeper, but the guys a moron who really should know better and deserves little sympathy. [ same as gazza... ]

• Advertisement

Fans who complain to the cops like whinging little kids about someone winding them up are morons.

As for Gazza, I've no problem with him being a cult hero with Rangers fans. He represents Rangers Football Club and a large section of its fans pretty well IMHO.

What has Boruc actually done? Blessed himself at Mordor? Waved a champions flag at Mordor? Not shaken hands with folk when he's on a downer? Wow... some list of offences that is. :rolleyes:

PauloMN wrote: »
    Fans who complain to the cops like whinging little kids about someone winding them up are morons.

As are players who refuse to shake the oppositions hands after a game because he "doesn't like them". Talk about whinging little kids...

much in the same way gazza became a cult hero for mock flute playing on the touchline - ultimately an idiotic thing to do and condemned by both sides of the divide. the guy needs to learn when to shuttit and keep himself to himself on the pitch - or has everyone here been missing all his wee snide gestures to opposing fans this last 2 years?
    A Rangers fan would see it as snide gestures. Celtic fans see it as banter. He has a laugh with the Celtic fans, he has a laugh with opposing fans. His new camp dance is a great laugh. Also, watch him before the next home CL game when the 2 teams are facing the crowd for the Champions league anthem. It's Celtic Park at it's loudest and Boruc always has a smirk on his face watching the fans. He's a football fan as much as the fans slagging him in the crowd and he'll never change.

If this was Poland he probably wouldn't shake the hands of their biggest rivals and maybe that's the norm. He walked down the tunnel after a 3 nil defeat and didn't stick around to congratulate a team he clearly doesn't like.

Sorry lads, i know yous like your keeper, but the guys a moron who really should know better and deserves little sympathy. [ same as gazza... ]

Blasphemy! :eek:

Artur will bless himself, and absolve you from talking such drivel. ;)

lol...fair enough lads!! fair enough.... i know when im being outgunned ;P

g'luck with benfica! im almost peeing myself at the thought of tonights game. (barca)

• Advertisement

Predictions for the laugh?

Here goes....

Rangers 1 - 1 Barca :eek:
    Benfica 3 - 1 Celtic :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

whats TFOD?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

KdjaCL wrote: »
    whats TFOD?

kdjac
    The Fortress Of Doom I think. By the way congrats on predicting a second Pats victory in a row! Unprecedented!

KdjaCL wrote: »
    whats TFOD?

kdjac

The Forces of Darkness, aka Rangers. :) Also known as Sons of Satan, the Dark Side etc..

Fair play, they got the result they needed in the end. Well, that kind of applies to both Rangers and Barca. Thought Hutton had a good game, and Cousin made a nuisance of himself, and for long enough to hold them off. Cousin's cross that Ferguson just failed to connect with was a peach.

I'd be surprised if they failed to qualify now.

oh dont say things like that paul!! awww naw mate... we can still screw it up - 7 pts isnt enough, and yes a win against Lyon at home would certainly be enough...

but shhhhh!!!! ffs. :)

I can see Rangers losing their last 3 games, honestly. :)

reckon you mean Protestants there mate....

• Advertisement

Good 1st half. They have had twice the possesion, but Boruc only needed to make 1 save. A draw looks a realistic prospect at this stage. Much better performance than I anticipated tbh. Hope the bhoys keep it together for the 2nd half. One great surge by Brown was class. Fingers crossed for 2nd half, don't think we've anything too fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Good God that was some save from Boruc*

*Incidentally, I'd say he'd tell you Good God actually was behind the save

reckon you mean Protestants there mate....
    Ah you always make me feel guilty when I slag off Rangers. :) You have to expect that one though after the complaints about him blessing himself.

Thought we were good for a point. Although they cranked it up a notch for the 2nd half; 2 post hittings and Borucs' save. Came close to getting it until that poxy goal near the end. Our CL chances are in tatters now. Dammit, off to find consolation in the bottom of a bottle of whiskey. :(

In fairness it would have been a miracle for that defence to keep a clean sheet. As much as I love Strachan it annoys me how highly he rates McManus. He's good at what he does but he's no organiser. A defence isn't a defence without an organiser.

Most of our players played well tonight. That's as much as we can ask. We can certainly still qualify.

Strachan always tries to look at the positives after a defeat, and I normally don't pay much attention, but I did see positives tonight even though we lost. I had predicted a 3-1 defeat so was glad it was only 1-0, and thought we might have even nicked a point.

Agree the first hald was good after a shakey early start. I think once they had got through 15 mins, Celtic settled into it.

Benfica had to win tonight, and the 2nd half mirrored that. They were absolutely relieved to get a goal tonight.

Thought McGeady played very well overall, and had a great shot on goal. Donati was also much better than against the huns.

My hope is that we win our 2 remaining home games, and that Milan will have qualified by our last game against them. That being the case, we could nick a point there with a bit of luck on the night.

Glad Shakhtar were beaten tonight, that works in our favour to a certain degree. Hope Milan now pump everyone else except us of course! :D

We can still qualify in theory, it looks a long-shot now though.

What needs to happen:

We have to win our next 2 games (h) v Benfica, and (h) v Shaktar. We will also need to get a draw in our final game (a) v Milan. This will leave us with 10 points.

Current table: Milan 6
    Shaktar 6
    Benfica 3
    Celtic 3

Its looking like Milan and Shaktar now if I was a betting man. I know we have an excellent home record, but can we win our next 2 homes? A draw in either and we're f****d in terms of qualification. If we beat Benfica next day out, and Milan get the points against Shaktar (which is how I call the next results) then we will have.

Milan 9
    Shaktar 6
    Celtic 6
    Benfica 3

We then have to beat Shaktar by 3 goals, and then we can lose to Milan; or else just barely beat Shaktar, and then we have to draw in SanSero. I say this because Shaktars last game is (h) v Benfica, and I'm sure Shak will win that. Ergo we need 10 points, or else 9 points (plus better head to head against Shak to qualify)*

*All depends on Milan beating Shaktar next day, (not a cert)

A lot of permutations to get our heads around there I know. At the moment, I'd say we probably have between a 30% and 40% chance of making it to the 2nd phase. We could've done with the draw, but if we have the balls to get a draw in the SanSero I predict we will quality.

ziggy wrote: »

Someone's been reading the Record... ;)

I don't fall for that "anti-football" crap at all. If Barca can't handle a team with 11 players behind the ball, that's their problem. They should have changed their tactics after an hour but didn't - Ronaldinho, Henry and Messi kept with the fancy footwork ploy and it didn't bear fruit.

• Advertisement

We can still qualify in theory, it looks a long-shot now though.

What needs to happen:

We have to win our next 2 games (h) v Benfica, and (h) v Shaktar. We will also need to get a draw in our final game (a) v Milan. This will leave us with 10 points.

Current table: Milan 6
    Shaktar 6
    Benfica 3
    Celtic 3

Its looking like Milan and Shaktar now if I was a betting man. I know we have an excellent home record, but can we win our next 2 homes? A draw in either and we're f****d in terms of qualification. If we beat Benfica next day out, and Milan get the points against Shaktar (which is how I call the next results) then we will have.

Milan 9
    Shaktar 6
    Celtic 6
    Benfica 3

We then have to beat Shaktar by 3 goals, and then we can lose to Milan; or else just barely beat Shaktar, and then we have to draw in SanSero. I say this because Shaktars last game is (h) v Benfica, and I'm sure Shak will win that. Ergo we need 10 points, or else 9 points (plus better head to head against Shak to qualify)*

*All depends on Milan beating Shaktar next day, (not a cert)

A lot of permutations to get our heads around there I know. At the moment, I'd say we probably have between a 30% and 40% chance of making it to the 2nd phase. We could've done with the draw, but if we have the balls to get a draw in the SanSero I predict we will quality.

Good post EGB, just about sums it up. A good performance against Shakhtar would be fantastic, especially it if yielded a +3 goal difference, however I can see that home game being the toughest of the two. If we can't beat Benfica at CP this season, we shouldn't be in the CL.

Milan - hard one to call. If our qualification is hanging on it, we should put in a good performance (like we did before in the San Siro). Assuming Milan are qualified by then, they might be easier to take a point from, easier than Benfica were last night 2nd half I reckon as they absolutely had to win. If we end up with 10 points I'd be delighted.

Advertisement