Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yeah great to see McGeady in this form. He was excellent on Saturday too and even better against Benfica. I loved the roullette turn at the end of the first half. :) It was the only thing he could have done to get away from the 2 Hearts players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

odonnell wrote: »
    if people are booing and hissing at the name change, ill apologise for my part in that :)

*shrug* i really didnt think the name change was necessary and at the end of the day its been one or two people popping in with the old "i thought this was a celtic discussion thread" comment that have fuelled it - and theyve never been regular posters in here in the first place!

BUT - now theres a home for everyone in a thread which is 85% about celtic and 15% about everyone else.... which is fine considering we are a mostly irish contingent.

HO! you no answerin yer PMs dude? :)

Anyway, on the name change, it will stop me reacting to the idiots i suppose........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

i dont answer PMs - im too good for that nonsense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Contrary to what you might have heard/read earlier, Rangers will meet Hearts and Aberdeen will meet Dundee Utd in the CIS Cup semis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_cups/7072638.stm

Someone made a balls of the balls. :D

Half time and McDonald has got another 2 goals. Himself and Jan linking up really well. Every time Jan gets the ball he puts it to good use. I wish he was Irish as he's the perfect partner for Robbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Great win we still look dodgy at the back tho, Hartley playing great stuff in a different role this year.

Badabing wrote: »
    Great win we still look dodgy at the back tho
    That's not going to change with the current defenders at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Good win, disappointed McGeady flunked that gilt edged chance at the end though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

We were lucky to come away with the points for my money. The "Kenny Miller who can score" came to our rescue again. :) That defence was a complete shambles yet again. We need new defenders as a matter of serious urgency. We need to tighten up quickly or we're going to be out of europe very soon :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I wish he was Irish as he's the perfect partner for Robbie.

You never know.... the MacVennegoors of O'Hesselink are a well known clan in Leitrim... :D

Yep, McGeady in great form again today, and JVoH and of course Skippy were both excellent. Thought Hartley was good also. Brown was not at his best, Caldwell and Kennedy are worrying me (especially Kennedy at the moment). Neither should warrant first or even second choice picks at the moment, but having a shortage of talent at the back, we're stuck with them. Naylor looked a bit better than of late which is good.

Can't make up my mind about Jarosik at the moment, was a bit sloppy at times and gave away needless corners at least once. I guess we'll see him on Tuesday hence the game today, WGS seems to appreciate his CL experience.

Really looking forward to this match today. 2 good teams to watch.

Dont know if hibs can hang on to the 1-0 lead. End-to-end stuff. The 2 goalies are certainly earning their keep anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Feckin mugged today - a stonewall penalty not given, and I didn't see anything wrong with Fletchers' goal, but no surprise from THAT ref that he would favour the Maroon side of Edinburgh in any case.

It seems that to continually tug Rob Jones' Jersey is not a foul either.
    Good game all the same, but still annoyed that we did not take all 3, purely as a result of poor refereeing decisions.

I could not believe the ref did not give that penalty

• Advertisement

Just a reminder, tonight's Celtic game is on:
    - Sky Sports 2
    - Setanta Ireland

and free on:
    - ITV Scotland

Also you can keep an eye on Shakhtar v Milan on Sky Sports Xtra.

My prediction: 2-1 to the hoops, I think it'll be a nervy affair :eek: and I'd put money on us not keeping a clean sheet. :(

In the other game: Shakhtar 1 - 1 Milan, I really hope I'm wrong though, would prefer a Milan win.

PrayingForGoodResult CSC :D

3-1 Celtic!

ziggy wrote: »

Hope you had money on that

• Advertisement

Certainly is, McGeady was excellent tonight

Great result tonight. :) McGeady, and Brown were class tonight. Hope Brown is ok after that disgraceful tackle. McGeady is playing the best football of his career. What a display, brilliant! :D:D

The 2nd half performance was pretty good. We looked dangerous, still nervy moments at the back, but we can do no wrong in Parkhead in the CL it seems.

We're in with a shout again, especially with Milan winning. The next game against Shaktar is a huge one now. If we win that we've a great chance of progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Very good win the result is all that matters on nights like this, Caldwell is like a bomb scare tho and Kennedy lacks pace, Mcgeady was special:) they have a cuple of weeks off now to recharge.

ziggy wrote: »
    If we win our next match by 3 goals we qualify but that's not gonna happen.

2 terrible defences on show tonight which made for an end to end match.

I watched Dunphy talking about McGeady after the game. I don't know how someone of his experience can't realise his problems with Ireland are completely down to confidence. Is it really that hard to tell?

/oh yeah, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that "tackle" was one of the worst I've ever seen. You can say 100% that he meant to hurt Brown. You could see the defender losing the plot the whole night.

It is a long tme since I have watched Dunphy but he was always a gob****e. Why change the habit of a lifetime?

It is a long tme since I have watched Dunphy but he was always a gob****e. Why change the habit of a lifetime?
    Well he did say Giles and Brady agreed with his opinion of McGeady (although that's just to say if he's wrong so are the others). I think it couldn't be more obvious when McGeady's confidence is gone. He can't pass to a teammate and his legs go to jelly.

Anyway, the RTE lads still slate Ronaldo and McGeady's nowhere near that level.

If we win our next match by 3 goals we qualify but that's not gonna happen.

Stranger things have happened, qualification is in our hands now and that should have the desired influence on the players to put in the performance of all performances.

I actually think we have a good chance to get out of the group. I also think Benfica could hold Shakhtar to a draw, which will also negate the need to get a result against Milan. Even if Shakhtar beat Benfica, I think we are capable of getting a draw in Milan given the circumstances i.e. Milan will have qualified.

It's crucial that we beat Shakhtar though. What happens if we both end up on 9 points and the head-to-head is equal i.e. if we beat Shakhtar 2-0? What is the next level of comparison?

Agree that both defences were poor and if anything will ruin our chances of qualifying, it will be conceding sloppy goals. We were caught out again a few times tonight - one fine save from Boruc and a couple of poor shots from Benfica when they had an open goal kept us in it. Didn't think Naylor was as good as he was last game when he had definitely improved on early season, but he cleared a ball off the line also so fair dues. Caldwell and Kennedy were shaky all night and can so easily get caught out - the last 20 mins of that game was squeaky bum time and I kept thinking the single goal wasn't going to be enough. Caldwell doesn't look comfortable at right-back at all, any chance of Wilson or Doumbe being back for the last two games I wonder?

I really hope Brown is ok, I nearly got sick when I saw the replay of the challenge and I thought his leg was broken. Couldn't believe my eyes :eek: when I saw him standing up, but he didn't look good going off. Hope it's less serious than it looked.

As for McGeady - he was absolutely great tonight. It annoys me how hard a time he gets from the panel on RTE (not that I saw them tonight but in general), and from ROI supporters also, although he hasn't shown his best for Ireland in fairness. Wish people could see more of his good form. Best player on the park tonight I thought, even aside from the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

That tackle was an absolute disgrace. Guy should serve a huge ban.

Lads, you'll be more able to answer this than me....i know Strachan is a bit of a strange bloke, but is he always so unbelievably rude in his interviews? did ya see the one with RTE? he wasnt paying attention to the interviewer at all and was looking around as if he was tripping or something! guy seems very strange or very rude, one or the other! and i hear he is sound, so struck me as a bit odd!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That tackle was an absolute disgrace. Guy should serve a huge ban.

Lads, you'll be more able to answer this than me....i know Strachan is a bit of a strange bloke, but is he always so unbelievably rude in his interviews? did ya see the one with RTE? he wasnt paying attention to the interviewer at all and was looking around as if he was tripping or something! guy seems very strange or very rude, one or the other! and i hear he is sound, so struck me as a bit odd!
    People think that's Strachan being rude but it's not. He just cannot look people in the eye. At an early age people usually learn about the importance of eye contact. It's usually tough starting off looking people in the eye but you get used to it. Strachan obviously hasn't. :) Shaun Maloney is the same in interviews. He just looks at the ground though.

• Advertisement

DuPont’s Sports Science beginning to tell on McGeady

There has been a debate recently on player development, specifically young players, who can find the step up to first team football at Celtic difficult. I am not sure of all the components that go into making a great player; ball control, strength, speed and, of course, good decision making, but what is true is that better players continue to develop well into their 20s, and few achieve greatness without some help along the way.

A case in point is Aiden McGeady, who has enjoyed a palpable step-up in form this season. When Aiden broke into the team in 2004 he looked a fabulous prospect, but subsequent progress has been mixed.

This season he has moved up a gear; when Celtic are playing well he is on fire, even when Celtic are poor, he is a fluent, better player. He has found a gyroscopic ability to throw himself into a challenge and emerge with the ball.

When preseason training got underway, new head of sport science, Gregory DuPont interviewed each player. DuPont has a PhD in Sports Science and Exercise Physiology, a light year away from the medicine balls that dominated the ‘gym’ Celtic used in the 1960s, so speaking to the players, doing some research, was the first step in establishing a forward plan.

Aiden’s request was simple, “I need you to make me faster”. Aiden had the close control, but the ability to escape from a defender once he had beaten him was a perceived weakness. This weakness had an impact on decision making; would Aiden take a player on believing he could not get away from him? It may also have an impact on confidence.

McGeady is now working to develop specific leg muscles and in the space of just a few months has seen his speed and form improve significantly. I understand he believes his work with DuPont has made the crucial difference to his form this season.

It is still early days for DuPont; he has only been at Celtic four months, and not every player will have been able to articulate his area most in need of development, but if he is as successful with other players as he has been with Aiden McGeady he will prove to be a significant appointee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Seen the highlights of Shaktar and they could have had 4 in the first half against Milan!

We need to contain Brandow (or whatever his name is) coz he is lethal!

Have to beat them 3-0 to be sure! Big ask though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A good result last night for Celtic, and deserved. Yes, Benfica had a couple of chances but so did Celtic and the win was deserved.

I am glad for McGeady to have gotten on the scoresheet, albeit it fortuitous. He has in recent weeks been reluctant to shoot from such positions. His shot is still weak and its an area that he needs to work on. If he could develop that facet he would be a real danger man. He is dangerous enough as it is.

I too have noticed his imrpovement this season. He is just skinning players left and right, and has the ability to go either way. That is key. He is making the right choices in close quarter situations. He is a great asset to Celtic because he can beat people.

But even in recent times this wasnt the case. The away match to Slovakia for Ireland for example, he was woeful. This was not only a confidence thing. I was calling for him to be dropped.

But one thing I did notice on the 1-1 draw night with Cyprus (yes, that night), was just how good McGeady was, being able to skip past players and do things with the ball. He still has weakeness. His crosses aren't strong so far post and high is not easy for him. His are usually a low trajectory, and they do not always reach their target. But they are getting better, much better. He is now producing 'product'.

> He has found a gyroscopic ability to throw himself into a challenge and emerge with the ball.

Yes, his balance and confidence going through tackels is amazing, Its also producing free kicks. If he can keep this up, he should be an ever present for Celtic and Ireland.

As for Dunphy, he is clouded by what he saw in the Ireland matches. He hasnt seen (or is a bit slow) Aiden beeing man of the match in recent SPL games for Celtic and again last night.

Redspider

ps: I couldnt find the Celtic thread but I see that someone has renamed it to the Scottish PL discussion thread !!!! Why? As thread originator, for whatever that's worth, surely the name shouldnt have been changed. If someone wants to create an SPL thread, then so be it, but can we have the Celtic discussion thread renamed back?

redspider wrote: »
    ... but can we have the Celtic discussion thread renamed back?

Apparently not, even though 99% of the chat in here is Celtic related, and there's been no problems with that from anyone - incl. the 'Gers lads who've always been welcome - we can't have a "Celtic" thread, even though there's a Liverpool one, a Manure one, and... God forbid... even a Spurs one. :D

Good result last night lads.....but far from convincing.
    If Benfica had taken there chances in the first half you would have been staring at a heavy loss i think, you didnt seem to be able to get yourself going at all, which really surprised me considering the importance of the game last night.
    Second half Benfica were abysmal...but again you couldnt really capitalise...but, its all about results and you got the win, so well done.

McGeady looks like hes beginning to hit some form again...thats good, because so is hutton and we know how much those two love eachother :)

Predictions for tonight?
    God i shudder to think what could happen if Barca score early...... but if they dont i reckon we can scrape a draw, really.....oh god i dont know......

barca 2 Rangers 1

Redspider: Its been mentioned and mentioned and mentioned by mods and others about changing the thread title...tbh i didnt really see the point...its just a feckin title...but eventually Kdjack changed it...sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2866100,00.html

BORUC: McGEADY CAN SURPASS RONALDO

Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc believes Aiden McGeady has the potential to be better than Cristiano Ronaldo.

McGeady grabbed the only goal of the game on Tuesday night to hand Celtic a crucial win over Benfica in the Champions League.

And Boruc insisted: "Aiden was really unbelievable. He made so many great runs and was so important for our team.

"I think he can be better than Cristiano Ronaldo. That's my opinion. Aiden is still young and can only get better.

"I've played a few games against Ronaldo now and, while it's hard to compare the two players, Aiden has the ability to be better."

:eek: Fair enough he's playing well but talk about going OTT

Eirebear wrote: »
    Good result last night lads.....but far from convincing.
    If Benfica had taken there chances in the first half you would have been staring at a heavy loss i think, you didnt seem to be able to get yourself going at all
    I think both teams had equally good chances in the first 20 minutes. After that I don't think Boruc had a save to make.

/edit - oh ffs Boruc they're going to start hoping McGeady fails now. Boruc is a loony, ignore him.

I think both teams had equally good chances in the first 20 minutes. After that I don't think Boruc had a save to make.

fair enough, but going by the stats that popped up after Scott Browns air shot around the 20 minute mark it was benfica 6 shots on target to celtics 1.
    As i said benfica were woeful in the second half but celtic couldnt take advantage.

Not trying to take away from it though, its still a great result.

Boruc is a loony, ignore him.
    The best advice anyone can give really..:D

Eirebear wrote: »
    fair enough, but going by the stats that popped up after Scott Browns air shot around the 20 minute mark it was benfica 6 shots on target to celtics 1.
    No it wasn't. :D It was 1-4 on total shots. Celtic's only shot then was I think Kennedy's. Celtic then had 3 shots within a few minutes (Brown, McDonald, Brown again?) and brought it to 4-4 on shots.

I can't believe how this Celtic defence has such an excellent defensive record at home in Europe. It's not as if last nights atmosphere was intimidating in any way or that the crowd were spurring Celtic on.

• Advertisement

No it wasn't. :D It was 1-4 on total shots. Celtic's only shot then was I think Kennedy's. Celtic then had 3 shots within a few minutes (Brown, McDonald, Brown again?) and brought it to 4-4 on shots.

I can't believe how this Celtic defence has such an excellent defensive record at home in Europe. It's not as if last nights atmosphere was intimidating in any way or that the crowd were spurring Celtic on.

I thought that was just me, the celtic fans were very quiet but i was putting it down to the TV. strange especially after nearly 40,000 of the greatest fans in the world hadnt turned up for the hearts game :)

Im sure it was 1-6, but never mind its all academic really

Yes it is as Celtic won 1-0. Both teams had excellent chances.

Wow, absolutely fantastic predictions! Something like a 50/1 chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

redspider wrote: »

ps: I couldnt find the Celtic thread but I see that someone has renamed it to the Scottish PL discussion thread !!!! Why? As thread originator, for whatever that's worth, surely the name shouldnt have been changed. If someone wants to create an SPL thread, then so be it, but can we have the Celtic discussion thread renamed back?

Thread titles don't make a difference to me to be honest but it may not be a bad thing to rename it. It may attract more interest to it and to the SPL which would not be a bad thing, although that said I appear to be the only Hibs fan posting (there are probably few others about here to be honest) and there are a few Bluenoses.
    The discussion has been pretty cordial so far so I think it's fair enough for all those with an interest in the SPL to have one thread to post in. The majority here are Celtic fans, but at least allow the rest of us (yes, diddy, whatever) team fans to add to the discussion. :)

• Advertisement

ziggy...nice predictions...ya !*&%"!( ;)

well what can i say...did we really expect anything else? (apart from you ziggy!)
    Barcalona were good tonight...Rangers werent.

HOWEVER, if it wasnt for that prick Henry putting the ball in the net with his arm could we have frustrated them a little longer?
    The goal before half time completely killed the match...and once again Walter Smiths team selection causes our own problems..

What was Hutton up to holding up the ball in the corner at 2-0 down?

Blackjack wrote: »
    The majority here are Celtic fans, but at least allow the rest of us (yes, diddy, whatever) team fans to add to the discussion. :)

That's because us Tims are all-inclusive. In fact, we're just bloody wonderful. :D
    Eirebear wrote:
    and once again Walter Smiths team selection causes our own problems..

What would you have done differently though? Seemed to be the logical selection to me for what was always going to be a tough tough game.

As regards the name change - I just don't see why Celtic shouldn't have its own thread given the support here. No problem with a Scottish PL thread in addition, but it seems a bit daft posting about CL games in an SPL thread. There's more posts here than in the Villa or Leeds threads for example, so why not rename the Leeds thread to the "League 1" thread? Just smacks a bit of a "let's bung all the ****ty Scottish football in one thread" attitude. :(

Yes paul i would have...Novos been on fire lateley, id have dropped beasley for him, i would also have either started with Darchevile up front or brought him on for Cousin at half time...hes a far better breakaway player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement