Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Am I imagining it or is that our first clean sheet away for over a year? :eek:

Didn't think Mark Brown would be between the posts when that demon was finally banished.

Glad we won obviously as we had to, left it a bit late though. Rangers are still effectively 4 points clear considering the games they have in hand, so we'll need to beat Gretna and Rangers to bring that lead down to one point. If we can win those two games at home, we're back in business. If we lose against Rangers we're in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote: »
    Am I imagining it or is that our first clean sheet away for over a year? :eek:

Didn't think Mark Brown would be between the posts when that demon was finally banished.

Glad we won obviously as we had to, left it a bit late though. Rangers are still effectively 4 points clear considering the games they have in hand, so we'll need to beat Gretna and Rangers to bring that lead down to one point. If we can win those two games at home, we're back in business. If we lose against Rangers we're in trouble.

October 2006 mate, shocking stuff! :p;)

Never mind mark Brown being in goals...Bobo Balde in defence :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Very good performance until the last 10 minutes when psychology started to take over and keeping a clean sheet was the most important thing in the world. :) I thought Scott Brown was immense. Surprised he didn't get motm but Setanta probably wanted to interview Bobo. What did he say anyway? I was watching in a pub with no sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

First Celic game I have watched for a few weeks. The performance was excellent. I'm a big fan of Bobo so its great to see him back. Scott Brown was immense he really is a smashing player.

Caldwell is a weak link celtic need players better than him, surely they have better options.

soupie wrote: »
    Caldwell is a weak link celtic need players better than him, surely they have better options.
    Hopefully now:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7145995.stm

Fair play to Gattuso. He gets a few days off before Milan fly to their training camp in Dubai and he decides to spend it training with Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Motherwells Phil o' Donnell who collapsed in the game this afterrnoon has just died.

RIP

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Can anybody tell me since the old firm game was postponed will that make a difference on mcgeady's suspension?

• Advertisement

McGeady's suspended for the next SPL game so will be able to play against Rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

thats what i thought it's just that the next Celtic game was supposed to be motherwell. When is the expected date for the rearrangement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Sad to hear about Phil O'Donnell's early death in life. Autopsy indicates it was a heart failure. The question now remains if it has anything to do with prolonged/excessive use of NSAID's (Ibuprofen) or anti-inflammatory's.

I think it was probably a bit much though to cancel the Celtic-Rangers game as that would have been a fitting occasion to honour a player who has been so unfortunate. The best way to deal with death sometimes is to continue as that person would have wanted, and I'm sure he would have wanted the football to continue.

---

ps: in terms of Celtic's games over the holiday period, the hiccups are continuing and the recent dropping of points is now an official 'blip'. And Balde being man-of-the-match, who would have thought it.

CELTIC are delighted to announce the signing of Andreas Hinkel from Sevilla on a three-and-a-half deal.

The 25-year-old German internationalist has earned 17 caps for his country and previously played with top Bundesliga side VfB Stuttgart.

Speaking after he completed the move to Celtic, Andreas said: "I am delighted to sign for Celtic Football Club and am really looking forward to joining up with my new team-mates.

"Celtic is a great club with a great history, having achieved such success at home and in Europe. It is a great honour to join the club and I hope to play an important part in the club's future over the next few years.

"Having already played against Celtic in European competition, I am well aware of the magnificent stadium and wonderful passionate support which the club enjoys.

"I will be doing my very best to work as hard as I can to try and bring as much success as possible to the Celtic fans."

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan said: "We are delighted to complete this signing. Andreas is someone who we have been looking at for some time and we are pleased to have finally got him to Celtic.

"We are sure he has all the qualities to be a great success at the Club."

Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: "We are very pleased to welcome Andreas to Celtic. He is a player with a fantastic pedigree and one who was in high demand, with a number of other clubs interested in him - we are pleased to have been successful in securing his signature.

"We are delighted once again to have invested in the first team through this signing and can assure fans that the Celtic Board will continue to do all we can to support Gordon's plans for the development of the Celtic squad."
    The Brazilian, Coelho, arrived in Glasgow today. He's a right back as well but apparantly Strachan might want to play him as a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I was thinking that myself wot will strachan do with hinkel and Coelho. can either one of them play Lb or do ye think they will go straight into the team considering celtic arent blessed wit defenders

Hinkel will surely into the team. I haven't a clue what will happen to Coelho or if he'll even sign now. Good article on Hinkel from 4 years ago:
    By DUNCAN WHITE

WITHOUT an ounce of shame I am now going to devote a significant span of your precious reading time to that most bland of creatures: the German full-back.
    While the stereotype of German efficiency has not always stuck to their midfielders or liberos, German full-backs have always been fairly remorseless exponents of the game. This one is a little different though.

Andreas Hinkel is Stuttgart’s 21-year-old right-back, and a very good one he is too - a prototype of the modern full-back as embodied by the likes of Lilian Thuram, Ashley Cole and above all Roberto Carlos. Hinkel is as much an attacker as he is a defender and has been a pleasure to watch this season.

The last two World Cup- winning sides, France and Brazil, have been tellingly catalysed by hyperactive full-back play. Rudi Voller has duly taken note and brought Hinkel into the national set-up with one eye on 2006. It is easy to see why: Hinkel’s performances in the Champions League have been exceptional this season, especially in the 2-1 victory over Manchester United in the Gottlieb Daimler Stadium.

The German defender is one of those inevitable footballers. His grandfather, father, brother and even his mother have all played at a competitive level. He was playing at five and was soon integrated into the system winning honours with the German Under-15 side and being a key member of Stuttgart’s youth champions. Stuttgart rushed him into their first-team, where he has remained ever since.

Hinkel had an agent with whom he soon split, a decision he is glad he made. Every decision he makes is now done in consultation with his father, whom he implicitly trusts to take him down the right footballing lines rather than financial ones. Between himself and his father, Hinkel has forged a team of legal experts whom he consults on his terms. It is unusual in modern football not to use a professional agent (it is said that Paul Scholes is the only Premiership player not to have one), but it also shows a sense of autonomy and maturity of character. There is only so much cushiness a player can get before he loses his edge.

Hinkel has never played better. There can be few defenders in Europe showing more assurance and style; he even scored a rare goal in the 3-1 Champions League win against Panathinaikos.

But Hinkel is no bread-and-butter full-back. As a youth he played in a whole variety of positions, but when Stuttgart picked him up at 10-years old, he was a playmaker in the mould of an Andy Moller or Thomas Hassler. Of that Stuttgart crop, Hinkel was one of 10 creative midfielders to sign up. Inevitably, he couldn’t get a game, and even contemplated a return to the Leutenbach club of his youth.

Even at this young age, though, he was characteristically ruthless with himself. After a desperate spell as a striker, dreams of the No.10 shirt were jettisoned as young Hinkel evolved his creative talents into his role at right-back. No longer did he sit on the bench.

No kid dreams of being a full-back. It has always been a position devoid of glamour. It has also been a position where players of limited ability but maximum fitness could find their niche. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury: Justin Edinburgh.

Will Hinkel be content to remain in his position? Does he not harbour ambitions to give his creativity a more deserving role? "It could happen after I’ve been playing at the top level for longer," he says. "I would certainly like to experience playing in a different position. You know, when I first became a professional I was playing a completely different football to what I am now. What I’m really after now is to refine my play at full-back, to perfect it. Of course that’s going to be difficult no-one is perfect."

The proviso saves him from sounding entirely arrogant, but there is a streak of egoism in the Stuttgart player. It is unsurprising to find he already has a rather snazzy personal website and the Pires-esque designer beard is already in evidence. There is a real sense of his deserving what he has achieved with hard work and compromise. He feels overlooked at times and a little put off that his contribution is not always acknowledge.

This becomes clear when he talks about Kevin Kuranyi. The lanky Brazilian-born German international has taken much of the headline space. His goals and flamboyant background bring glamour. Hinkel was brought into the Germany squad at the same time as Kuranyi and is often lumped in as his sidekick, the Robin to his Batman.

"We often get lumped together, but Kevin and I are very different people, and we have made it in very different ways. My progress was not as steep as his. I played a whole season for Stuttgart before he even made it into the first-team squad."

Hinkel played 30 games in that campaign (part of the club’s promotion campaign) and his development has been a gradual process - this season he will play his 100th game in the Bundesliga. While it is unusual for one so young to accrue so much experience so early in the Bundesliga, it is a far more German way of going about things than the much-hyped Kuranyi phenomenon. Hinkel’s rise is not temporary, this is not an issue of form: the boy is a grafter.

And German football loves a grafter. With young defenders like Arne Friedrich, Tobias Rau, Christoph Metzelder and Hinkel coming though, the 2006 team could have regained some of that solidity with which the teams of the early and mid-nineties were blessed.

Hinkel is aware that he is far from the finished article - his defensive abilities are a little suspect, but that is the criticism everyone lazily levels at Roberto Carlos. No, Hinkel will be Germany’s right back at the 2006 World Cup, he will win over 50 caps for his country and he will become one of the most coveted defenders in Europe.

His own attitude is typically prosaic, and he talks of goal-setting as his chief means of motivation: first-team, top-flight, Champions League, national team. Targets are being hit with unerring rapidity.

Stuttgart’s flirtation with succ
    ess will not last however. The ever-voracious Bayern Munich are casting their eyes on their rivals’ goods and they like what they see, not to mention the other hyenas who will bound in when the time is right.

Hinkel is a Stuttgart boy - he supports the club - so may prove tougher to tempt away. However, if precedent is any guide, he is no sentimentalist. While he appreciates that he owes the club for launching his career, he is adamant that they also owe him for his dedication to the club - a symbiotic relationship rather than that of owner and property.

He is down as having said that he will consider his position in the winter transfer window, and much seems to depend on the plans of Kuranyi.

Whether sooner or later, expect one of Europe’s top clubs to furnish themselves with a top German full back in the near future. Apparently there’s a vacancy coming up at Real Madrid ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

after reading that article it would seem hinkel hasnt fulfilled his potential yet.so hopefully he can regain his form.he probably messed up by moving to seville alves is top class so it was always gonna be hard to hold down a place.with a bit of luck celtic have got themselves a bargain there

Boruc has signed a new contract. Hasn't officially been announced but apparently it's 5 years. :)

Not quite 5 years but excellent news anyway.
    Boruc Signs New Contract

Artur Boruc extended his contract until 2011 with Glasgow Celtic!
    He passed this information to us over the telephone and below you can find the explanation of his decision.

- I am thankful to Celtic Football Club because they believed in me from the beginning, that is why I decided to accept the contract which is on very good terms for the next 3 years.

Translated from:
    http://arturboruc.com/news.php?id=1253

James McFadden rumour gathering pace. I guess that means no Maloney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

I expect nothing less form the orcs :(

• Advertisement

Yeah I saw that. Slightly strange that so many of them could agree to make it.

Anyway, here's a few clips of Hinkel:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFz_7gaz5Y8

Looks like the type of full back that'll allow Naka to drift inside more.

I expect nothing less form the orcs :(

Aye, just a shame no one with a wider angle lens bothered taking a picture of the banner just beside that on the club deck saying "raise a glass to absent friends" eh?

The banner was made up due to the fact that we were aout to go top of theleague that day.

But never mind eh? You can always jump on the easily offended bus, it should be here in about ten minutes.

Happy new year lads! ;)

Eirebear wrote: »
    Aye, just a shame no one with a wider angle lens bothered taking a picture of the banner just beside that on the club deck saying "raise a glass to absent friends" eh?
    That doesn't make it acceptable. The people that made that banner are making a joke out of why Wednesday's match was postponed. Simple as that.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    That doesn't make it acceptable. The people that made that banner are making a joke out of why Wednesday's match was postponed. Simple as that.

Sorry Eirebhoy but as far as i have been informed the banner was actually made for the Old Firm game, but due to the circumstances it obviously couldnt be displayed.

I do believe it was in bad taste to bring it out yesterday, but its nothing more sinister than a case of poor judgement IMHO.

If it was made for the OF than that's fair enough but is there any meaning to it?

nothing other than what it says mate.
    It has been a long time since we have even been in touching distance from you guys at this stage of the season (let alone top! ;)) and i think the idea was to remind you that were right on your shoulders and we wont let you away this time!

Looks like the gers have found a new muppet to worship

Michael Grant writing in todays Sunday Herald

Surprised that the Sunday Herald would entertain this type of nonsense

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

That banner is in very poor taste and claiming it' is just an innocent dig at Celtic is insulting peoples' intelligence. Surprised so many fans obviously had no problem with it being displayed.

That banner is in very poor taste and claiming it' is just an innocent dig at Celtic is insulting peoples' intelligence. Surprised so many fans obviously had no problem with it being displayed.

dude...im not trying to claim anything.
    Merely telling you guys what i have been told. That the banner had been made prior to the cancellation of the old firm game with the intention of taking it to parkhead.

I have also stated on this thread that even if this is true, that it was poor judgement to take it to ibrox yesterday, so please dont think i am trying to insult anyones intelligence.

• Advertisement

dude...im not trying to claim anything.
    Merely telling you guys what i have been told. That the banner had been made prior to the cancellation of the old firm game with the intention of taking it to parkhead.

I have also stated on this thread that even if this is true, that it was poor judgement to take it to ibrox yesterday, so please dont think i am trying to insult anyones intelligence.

Just like the Nazi salutes that aren't Nazi salutes eh? C'mon Eirebear, how could anyone read that banner before they put it up and not think "hang on, maybe this is just a bit out of order".

Like Ziggy said, either they wanted to offend or they didn't care that they would offend. Either way, they knew it would offend and they displayed it. Those involved in that display are a bunch of **** in my opinion.

Just like the Nazi salutes that aren't Nazi salutes eh? C'mon Eirebear, how could anyone read that banner before they put it up and not think "hang on, maybe this is just a bit out of order".

Like Ziggy said, either they wanted to offend or they didn't care that they would offend. Either way, they knew it would offend and they displayed it. Those involved in that display are a bunch of **** in my opinion.

man, your looking for an argument that isnt there, i have already stated my disaproval of the banner wether it was innocent or not....it was at least poor judgement, at most idiotic and bad taste on those fans part....what more can i say?

Not looking for an argument, just making the point that there was a lot more to that banner than simply this:
    and i think the idea was to remind you that were right on your shoulders and we wont let you away this time!

Not looking for an argument, just making the point that there was a lot more to that banner than simply this:

The information i have about the banner is that it was made for the old firm game.
    This doesnt come from the internet but from a face to face chat with a guy who sits in the same area (although had nothing to do with the banner itself)
    I have no reson to believe that the guy is bull****ting me, although i do concede that he may have been lied to himself.
    Therefore the banner could not have meant anything else.

please bear in mind that the majority of Rangers fans felt that the cancellation of the Old Firm Game was the right move to make, regardless of any conspiracy theorists we have in our ranks.

So Rangers are rebuilding their stadium? Eirebear would you stop talking about Celtic and keep us informed on the happenings on the dark side? ;)

lol, all in the talking stages at the minute.

All Rangers are saying at the moment is that there are three options available to them, one of them being a 700 million pound development of Ibrox and the surrounding area which could see ibrox being knocked down (except for the front brickwork) and rebuilt as a 70,000 seater stadium, with removable pitch to accomodate concerts and other events.
    The area around it will include at least one hotel and numerous retail outlets, much in the style of Stamford bridge.

But as i say, its all talk at the minute.
    (and i bet they still cant sell decent pies at the game! ;))

Celtic are 6/5 to win the league. I'm gonna wait til Rangers play their next 2 games and lump on Celtic. The bookies don't understand the Naka influence. ;)

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Celtic are 6/5 to win the league. I'm gonna wait til Rangers play their next 2 games and lump on Celtic. The bookies don't understand the Naka influence. ;)

Dont waste your money Eirebhoy...title number 52 is on its way home....and it wont need a helicopter this year! ;)

Seriously though, the postponed games have put a completely different perspective on the league this year, we could very well open a gap, but youll be the team with a game in hand which is always a phsycological disadvantage to the team at the top.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »

It could very well be ziggy, but you have to remember that the 700 million figure that is being talked about wont (for the mosty part) actually be spent on the stadium...or even come from Rangers.
    The club own a fair portion of land around the stadium and its about time it was developed, if it works out to be true.

ziggy wrote: »
    Giving up already? :) When we win the Old Firm game in hand that's just Rangers one point ahead. ;)

Naka's expected back on Saturday. Maybe from the bench.

Boruc again.

Artur Boruc last night admitted that despite signing a new contract at Parkhead, he could still leave the club if the right move were to materialise.

Celtic announced on Saturday night that the Poland internationalist had agreed a lucrative new three-and-a-half year deal, which will tie the goalkeeper to the club for the foreseeable future.

However, in an interview with homeland newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza, Boruc has indicated his new contract changes nothing and hinted that his reason for signing the extension was to ensure Celtic wouldn't lose out on a future large transfer fee.

When questioned as to whether his contract included a minimum fee release clause, Boruc kept his counsel and said: "I cannot say. But it does not change the terms of our agreement that if Celtic obtain a good price for me, they will allow me to leave.

"The amount that is necessary for a club to pay remains the same. I am rated at close to £10m, but that is not a question for me, it is for Celtic.

"I know that if an offer comes in that is good for Celtic and good for me, the club will not make any problems for me.

"So, anyway, I have signed the new contract in order that the champions of Scotland will profit from me."

• Advertisement

I think that was fairly obvious that this was the way he was going.
    I still reckon hell be at Celtic next season anyway, unless one of the top keepers suffer a real loss of form.

Celtic finally getting linked with a centre half. La Gazzetta say that Celtic, Fulham and Birmingham are interested in Lazio's Guglielmo Stendardo. His contract runs out in 2009 and can be signed for cheap in the summer on the new FIFA rule (known as the Webster rule in Scotland).

The Daily Record say 22 year old Japanese right winger Koki Mizuno is close to signing. Just a work permit to be sorted and there's not likely to be any problems.

Sno's agent said Osasuna have contacted them again asking if Sno is available on loan.

Bolton want Balde but may look elsewhere now that he's going to Africa.

No more news on Coelho. He's still training with Celtic.

Zurawski looks to be joining LA Galaxy.

In keeping with the request from Eirebhoy ill fill you in on the rangers transfer news:

:(:(:(

:D

Anyway, according to a guy on KDS who works for the Mirror, Celtic v Rangers is scheduled for January 23rd unless either team fails to win this weekend and need to play a cup replay.

St Mirren v Rangers postponed. That can't be good for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement