Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

yeah seemingly the clubs are meeting with the polis this week to confirm, but they cant announce it untill after the cup games obviously.

Another postponment...we should just play the season in march!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

To be fair, we have had a lot of rain and it is getting quite wild out there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

eirebhoy wrote: »
    St Mirren v Rangers postponed. That can't be good for them.

Agree, They should have never been let postpone their game with Gretna that was stupid.

To be fair, we have had a lot of rain and it is getting quite wild out there now

oh im not complaining about the decision ADIG, the weathers been horrible this evening and by the state of the pitch from setanta pictures it would have been a complete lottery of a game, but as badabing says...the gretna fixture could come back and bit us on the ass

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Celtic finally getting linked with a centre half. La Gazzetta say that Celtic, Fulham and Birmingham are interested in Lazio's Guglielmo Stendardo. His contract runs out in 2009 and can be signed for cheap in the summer on the new FIFA rule (known as the Webster rule in Scotland).

The Daily Record say 22 year old Japanese right winger Koki Mizuno is close to signing. Just a work permit to be sorted and there's not likely to be any problems.

Sno's agent said Osasuna have contacted them again asking if Sno is available on loan.

Bolton want Balde but may look elsewhere now that he's going to Africa.

No more news on Coelho. He's still training with Celtic.

Zurawski looks to be joining LA Galaxy.

Another centre back linked with Celtic:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11787_3031116,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Mizuno's work permit has been granted according to radio Scotland.

Setanta confirm they will be showing the Old Firm game on the 23rd jan...before its been officially announced! Nice one Setanta!

Icidently should either of our games against gretna or ICT fall foul of the weather hutton would be suspended for the OF game....oh the Irony!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

But Celtic fans may not see much of Mizuno or last season's Player of the Year Shunsuke Nakamura in the coming weeks due to international commitments.

That's a real pain in the hole. Naka's just about back to fitness and he may be for the off again on international duty. :( Couple of friendlies towards the end of Jan and a WC qualifier early Feb.

PauloMN wrote: »
    That's a real pain in the hole. Naka's just about back to fitness and he may be for the off again on international duty. :( Couple of friendlies towards the end of Jan and a WC qualifier early Feb.
    Hopefully he doesn't have to play in the friendlies.

26/01/2008 Japan v Chile (Friendly)
    30/01/2008 Japan v Bosnia-Herzegovina (Friendly)
    06/02/2008 Japan v Thailand (FIFA World Cup™ Qualifier)
    17/02/2008 Japan v Korea DPR (Friendly)
    20/02/2008 China PR v Japan (Friendly)
    23/02/2008 Japan v Korea Republic (Friendly)

The other chap looks sure to sign now but I'm sure we'll survive without him for a few weeks. ;)

• Advertisement

Stuart Baxter:

"I would say Mizuno is the hottest young player in Japan right now and it's a coup for Celtic to sign him. They regard him very highly over there. As you would expect, he is technically very good, he's quick, skilful and has two good feet."

Sorry about all the posts but I'm off work this week and bored.
    At 09/01/08 16:54, Blogger Ayrtic67 said…

Mizuno is in Glasgow now and will be having a medical before signing

Ayrtic67 seems a very respected poster. Himself and Paul67 on CelticQuickNews get told a lot of the news before the media. In fact, Paul67 gets invited to all the press conferences.

Come to think of it. Is there any other club out there where the fans know so much about the transfer activity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

St Mirren v Rangers postponed. That can't be good for them.

I agree. These cancellations because of weather, and of course Phil's death wont suit Rangers at all. They've been hitting good form, and built up a lot of momentum which now could be lost.

The break hopefully will do Celtic good, as we've been shaky lately. A few new players in, Naka back, Mc Geadys suspension for an easier game than the OF all play into Celtics hands.

Hopefully we can take advantage of the break because with us now in chase I fear there is little room for slip ups from here on in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Is there any other club out there where the fans know so much about the transfer activity?

Me.....Ronaldinho,Villa and Dani Alves to Liverpool before the end of Jan.

wait and see ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

I think it was the Record that printed an exclusive on their back page of the new Celtic jersey. It ended up being a photoshop by a teenege Celtic fan. :D

Anyway, the new Japanese guy is in the building.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3679/mizgg6.jpg

Apparently he's a bit of a popstar back in Japan and will sell plenty of shirts.

On the field he got 9 goals and 8 assists in 27 games last season. He was still regarded as a youngster in Japan. They seem to mature late over there. ;)

On the field he got 9 goals and 8 assists in 27 games last season. ;)

Pfft! Chris burke has 5 in 3 this season! :eek::p

Chris Burke is a very good player. ;) I hope you lot rated him as a player before he came back from injury?

Chris Burke is a very good player. ;) I hope you lot rated him as a player before he came back from injury?

ive had many an argument with other gers fans over burke.
    As an out and out winger he has the potential to be one of the best, unfortunately he very rarely lives up to that potential, he ripped one of the israeli teams (maccabi?) a completly new arsehole last season then never bothered to turn up from then untill his injury.
    hopefully he can steer clear of injury for a while and build on the start hes had to this year.

• Advertisement

Koki Mizuno was yesterday given the green light to come to Celtic and launch his career in Europe alongside Shunsuke Nakamura. The Scottish champions won their appeal for the 22-year-old Japanese midfield player to be given a work permit and Gordon Strachan will now sign their highly-rated youngster.

Mizuno will meet his compatriot today when he arrives in Glasgow. The player said farewell yesterday to his teammates at JEF United in Japan and flew to Scotland after learning he had sailed through an assessment yesterday over his right to play in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League. Celtic presented Mizuno’s his case at a morning hearing at Hampden Park. The three-man appeals panel decided he should be granted the necessary paperwork.

Mizuno’s initial request was denied by the Department for Employment and Learning on the grounds that he has not played the required number of international matches but Celtic argued he is a special case.

One source told The Times that Mizuno was the most talented player that the tribunal had ever seen. Celtic are adamant Mizuno is not a replacement for Nakamura, whose wife is expecting their second child soon. Nakamura has given his seal of approval to Celtic bringing another Japanese player to Scotland.

“Koki is still only 22, but if he joined me I would support him in every way I possibly could,” he said. “It’s not easy for Japanese players in foreign leagues because of the big differences in culture and style, but playing overseas is a good experience. And, having trained with Koki with Japan, I believe he has the character for it.”

The main agent to both players, Robert Takuda, has been working on bringing Mizuno to Celtic Park since last month. He is travelling with the youngster, who is out of contract on January 31, and will help negotiate terms.

Before he boarded the flight in Japan, Takuda said: “Celtic’s interest is true, but the deal is complicated. If it was down to Koki it would be simple because he is 100 per cent committed to making this work. But there are other considerations. There is the work permit and talks with his club. Also, Japan have a training camp on January 15 and two games later in the month, so the timing is difficult.”

The Times

http://www.24sata.hr/index.php?cmd=show_clanak&tekst_id=44624&_no_browse=1

It says Celtic, Fiorentina and Sevilla are after Josip Simunic. The guy who got 3 bookings off Graham Poll. He's also linked to Portsmouth and Chelsea were looking at him last year.

From a very recent interview:
    I'm a Celtic fan Joe, what about Scotland?

I'm a Celtic fan too, I wouldn't rule out Celtic or Rangers. They are both big clubs and I've seen some games in Scotland. But for me England would be perfect.
    http://nearpost.blogspot.com/2008/01/joe-simunic-interview-simunic-for.html

He can't be a Celtic fan if he "wouldn't rule out Rangers". ;)

I'm with Boruc on that score. :D

Eirebhoy? You wouldnt happen to go by the name of Wheels on a well known Rangers forum would you?

This guy is a serious contender for your number 1 Nakamura slot, we must be into 4 pages of him extolling the virtues of the guy to some really rabid gers fand this week....

That's me alright. ;) Feel free to tell them of our regular disagreements. :)

That's me alright. ;) Feel free to tell them of our regular disagreements. :)

Is it? Really?
    haha, nah id rather keep that one going, its getting a few folk fairly wound up :D

• Advertisement

hmmm.... i think your a decent replacement as "token tim", countryboy was an arse....cant wait till the day i get to ban you though ;):p

You're a mod? :) I don't know why I post there as nobody listens to a word I say. :D

You're a mod? :) I don't know why I post there as nobody listens to a word I say. :D

lol aye, dont ask me how that happened.
    Theres a lot of decent guys on there, but im sure youll have noticed theres also a lot of halfwits, its quite funny to watch some of them wrestle with the fact that you can back yourself up with a decent argument, unlike most of the celtic fans who turn up from time to time.

Coelho's going home:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7181857.stm

Is anyone surprised? You could almost sense the "what the **** are we gonna do with this lad now that we got Hinkel" vibes from Parkhead the past week.

Coelho's going home:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7181857.stm

Is anyone surprised? You could almost sense the "what the **** are we gonna do with this lad now that we got Hinkel" vibes from Parkhead the past week.
    Yeah, completely agree. I feel sorry for him tbh. He really thought he was going to get a contract.

• Advertisement

Yeah, completely agree. I feel sorry for him tbh. He really thought he was going to get a contract.

Yep, but had he got a contract, I'd have felt sorry for Mark Wilson.

Now all we need is a striker and a centre-back. :)

FingersCrossed CSC

Agreed but I think we can do without another striker til the summer. If the worst comes to the worst we've plenty of attacking midfielders to play a 4-5-1/4-3-3.

Agreed but I think we can do without another striker til the summer. If the worst comes to the worst we've plenty of attacking midfielders to play a 4-5-1/4-3-3.

That's true, but with both Zurawski and Riordan more than likely for the off and Killen not being first pick material, I'd like another decent striker as backup for McDonald and JVoH sooner rather than later. Whatever about our defensive frailities, the lack of goals in important games this season is still a worry. Imagine either of those two goes out injured for an extended period.

The Holy Goalie was on Celtic TV tonight. Gas interview.

I'd like another decent striker as backup for McDonald and JVoH sooner rather than later.
    As long as it's a young player with potential to be excellent I'm all for that. I wouldn't be in favour of signing some 26 year old who isn't of higher standard to what we have already though. The reason being it would mean Strachan would be less likely to sign a top striker in the summer and we'll be going into next season with no improvement in the striker department. I appreciate it's risky and all that but I'd trust McGeady, Naka, Brown, Donati and hopefully this new kid to be able to support either Jan or McDonald in a 4-5-1 if needs be.

Come to think of it, that's probably the reason I don't want another striker. ;)

Boruc
    Hinkell--Caldwell--McManus--Naylor
    Brown--Naka--Donati
    -Mizuno
    McGeady-
    McDonald

Mizuno could be rubbish for all I know (we haven't even signed him yet ffs :D) but I live in hope. :) Hartley, Sno or Jarosik could fit in there depending on form.

The Holy Goalie was on Celtic TV tonight. Gas interview.
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=1st20RK2SM4

"I don't wanna change the club... I said that last time... I don't wanna change the club for something smaller ye know?"

That is a pure hill billy accent. :D

Read in a few places about Corinthians, they claim that Celtic backed out of a deal to sign Coelho. They've even gone so far as posting a link to the letter from Celtic on their website:

http://www.corinthians.com.br/noticias/noticias_detalhes.asp?id=783

They should probably get some English lessons though. Nowhere in that letter do I see any agreement to sign the player.

Yeh it looks like they took that as an actual bid of €2m.

I didn't think John Park dealt with transfers for senior players.

And what's the story with "Prince House Hotels" at the top? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

[/CELTIC will have to pay around £4m if they want Bayern Munich central defender Daniel van Buyten as a replacement for Bobo Balde.

Sunderland have joined Bolton in trying to entice Balde from Parkhead. But, even if the Guinean does leave in this window, the most Celtic can expect to get for him is £1m.

That would leave £3m to find if giant Belgian van Buyten, the latest defender linked with the Hoops, is to be brought in.

The 6ft 5in, 29-year-old defender is under contract at Bayern until 2010. And, though he has struggled to win a regular starting place this season, the Bundesliga club are in no hurry to offload the man they signed from Hamburg for £5.5m just two years ago.

A loan deal my be an option explored by Celtic. But the former Standard Liege, Marseille, and Manchester City defender - who is best remembered in this country for his late headed equaliser for Belgium which denied Scotland victory at Hampden in a 2002 World Cup qualifier - has other interest.

Van Buyten has all the attributes Gordon Strachan is looking to add to the heart of his defence - experience, aerial ability, a good touch, and pace. But, such qualities always come at a price.

Other options are being investigated, with reports linking them to Hertha Berlin's Croat Josip Semunic and Hull's Michael Turner.

However, van Buyten has been on Strachan's radar before, when he was at Southampton.

The player's agent, Christophe Henrotay, confirmed: "I know Gordon extremely well and he is a good man. He has been on the phone to ask me about van Buyten.

"Daniel would like to stay with Bayern, but anything is possible because at the moment he is not playing."

Celtic are still talking with Japanese club JEF United to conclude the signing of Koki Mizuno. They are also have two 17-year-old Romanians, George Tucadean and Richard Filaret, on trial.

But one man who will not be invited to sign is Brazilian defender Dyego Coelho. The 24-year-old's week-long visit to Lennoxtown has ended with his club, Corinthians, accusing Celtic of back-tracking on what they considered was a done deal.

Corinthians posted a copy of a letter on their website, which they claim was sent to agent Sabatino Durante by Celtic's football development manager John Park.

It said Celtic were prepared to pay two million euros for Coelho.

Park's letter to Italy-based Durante, dated December 19, also stated Coelho would receive £375,000 per annum during the course of his three-year contract.

The deal was conditional on Coelho passing a medical and being granted a visa, and payment terms being agreed.

However, Corinthians, claim the move disintegrated when Celtic tried to alter the terms of the deal and the amount to be paid for the player. Celtic have not commented.QUOTE]

Not sure where the report is from i picked it up on the gersforum.
    All i can say is that i hope the **** he doesnt sign for you lot!:eek::(

That article is from the Evening Times. But it was posted on KDS at 10 o'clock last night by a well established member.
    Van Buyten- £4m ish

YOu heard it here first.

Just in case CQN try take the credit again laugh.gif

Update on the Japanese guy from shunghirl on KDS:
    according to the japanese paper today, he done medical yesterday and visited celtic park. talked with lawwell. he also went to see the training of the team and had a lunch with naka. they talked about moving,lifestyle in glasgow, etc..

koki is already learning english. he said he can understand some and is trying to study english on Nintendo DS (theres heaps of english leasson games on DS..) wink.gif

he was moved when he visited celtic park..and got a feeling that he wants to play soon. he was asked by peter lawwell what he think about the stadium and he said 'Super' (in english).. then lawwell and other people started saying 'super koki'...

he is planning to be back in Japan on saturday and travel to Kagoshima in Japan to join the training camp for national team. have few games. so after that (in Feb), he will go back to glasgow and sign.... thats what the paper says
    The Japanese media are stalkers. :D They simply know everything that goes on in the life of any famous Japanese star.

• Advertisement

he was moved when he visited celtic park..and got a feeling that he wants to play soon. he was asked by peter lawwell what he think about the stadium and he said 'Super' (in english).. then lawwell and other people started saying 'super koki'...
    Puke.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭FRM

Super Stadium ???? :confused::confused::confused:

Did they show him the concourses that you have to duck under the steel girders with yellow and black tape ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I assume the players have better access than us plebs :D

The rumour mill is really flying at the moment with talk of Hearts being a couple of weeks away from going into administration.......

\no concrete evidence as yet, but it will serve the arrogant swines right.

Strachan taking no risks against Stirling. Hinkel makes his debut and the man himself is back.

Boruc
    Hinkel--Caldwell--McManus--Naylor
    -Naka--Donati---Brown--McGeady-
    McDonald--Vennegoor

SHUNSUKE Nakamura returns for Celtic today with Gordon Strachan claiming he’s the best player he’s worked with.

The Celtic boss followed that up in conversation by informing former Leeds and Scotland team-mate Gary McAllister, previously his publicly declared choice as the player without equal, that his place had been taken by Nakamura.

Strachan said: ‘‘I think his lip started to tremble for a minute or two. But for vision, touch and passing Naka’s the best I’ve ever worked with - and I include Bryan Robson and Kenny Dalglish.

‘‘You try not to mention the extent of your regard for him when he’s out of the team but we had all our scouts and coaches at Lennoxtown during the week to see him in action.

‘‘They all came away saying ‘What a player he is’. As a pure footballer he’s real class.

‘‘Koki looks like he has more pace than Naka, but Naka's brain takes him to places quicker than most."

And Naka scores a peach of a goal from outside the box. ;) Hinkel impressing big time but I'll reserve judgment until he's up against decent opposition. He's been getting forward loads.

And Naka scores a peach of a goal from outside the box. ;) Hinkel impressing big time but I'll reserve judgment until he's up against decent opposition. He's been getting forward loads.

Where did you see the game EB? I checked the listings and couldn't find it on BBC Scotland, Sky nor Setanta.

Next riund ties.
    Airdire/Killmarnock Vs Celtic
    Hibs V Rangers/East Stirling

Strangely looking forward to tomorrows game, my older cousin plays for the 'Shire and he is an extremely rabid celtic fan.
    Cant wait to give him a few helpings of abuse! :D

• Advertisement

Where did you see the game EB? I checked the listings and couldn't find it on BBC Scotland, Sky nor Setanta.
    Channel 67. About 2 years ago I signed up. At that time only people in the UK couldn't get the premium service. Now that has changed to UK and Ireland but they never cancelled the subscription of the Irish.

Advertisement