Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

btw, you probably know this but this guy streams every Celtic game:
    http://ustream.tv/channel/footys-show

Not todays game though as it wasn't on telly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Channel 67. About 2 years ago I signed up. At that time only people in the UK couldn't get the premium service. Now that has changed to UK and Ireland but they never cancelled the subscription of the Irish.

So I assume a new Irish sub would only get the audio service, that's a bit **** really.

Sod it, I've enough subs with Sky Sports and Setanta anyway. Hopefully they'll replay it on Celtic TV during the week like they do with the league games. Just wanted to get a look at Hinkel and see Naka back in action mainly.

Glad to hear both had a good game. Disappointed with the attendance, 28,000 according to the BBC site. That's just brutal especially considering it was on the season book and with a new player to see, plus the first game for a while. :(

I suppose the weather would be the main reason but I often wonder what fans do when they're not at the game. Some people say Polsat has brought a big change but that wasn't an option today. 3 o'clock on Saturday is football time for me no matter if Celtic are playing or not. I can't imagine sitting on my sofa a mile away from the stadium watching score updates while there's a season ticket lying on the mantle piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The weather in Glasgow was great yesterday, dry but cold.

I wouldn't call cold weather great. :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I wouldn't call cold weather great. :)

Excellent day yesterday unlike the **** we got overnight and today. The cup game at Mordor has been called off. Now playing on the evening of the 23rd which moves the Celtic - Rangers game to another date

Yeh really pissed off about that. I just want to bloody beat them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yeah was looking forward to the Rangers game, now that our squad is back to some sort of shape. Realistically when can that game now be played? Are we going to have two OF games within a couple of weeks now?

As regards the crowd, it's really poor IMO that season ticket holders miss so many games. What's the point in complaining about the costs of the tickets if you don't go and support the team? When I went to the Hibs game last month I had difficulty booking 3 seats together, yet half the stand was empty. I don't get to many games unfortunately as it's obviously a lot of time and cost getting to them from Dublin, and my weekends are taken up a lot with family stuff etc., but if I had a season ticket and lived in Glasgow I'd bloody use it, regardless of who we were playing.

So glad Hinkel had a good game yesterday and the MOTM would do him the world of good. I know it was against average opposition but it's still a great confidence booster for him and hopefully will help him settle in quickly.

Naylor also deserves a mention. Did really well to set up Vennegoor's goal and had 2 or 3 shots at goal towards the end. That assist will do his confidence the world of good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Yeah, catch 22 though. I agree the atmosphere in Parkhead at the moment is ****, but that is at least partly down to the place only being half full.

Doesn't excuse yesterday either. Seeing a new player, and one with a decent rep (17 caps for Germany is pretty damn good IMO) playing for your side should draw people to the ground.

Fair enough about the atmosphere but I certainly can't agree with the style of football excuse.

Celtic 5 - 0 Hearts
    Celtic 5 - 0 Inverness CT
    Celtic 3 - 0 Dundee Utd
    Celtic 3 - 0 Motherwell
    Celtic 3 - 0 Aberdeen
    Celtic 4 - 0 Falkirk
    Celtic 3 - 0 Gretna

That's 7 of our 10 league home games this season, we played well in them. The games we failed to win (plus the cup game against Hearts) we were without Naka. Naka makes a huge difference to our play and we generally play quite well when he's in the team.

Let's face it, if it was 25 degrees and the sun was shining yesterday the attendance would have been much, much better.

Yeh Falkirk came and attacked and it was an excellent game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I was over for the Gretna game. The atmosphere wasn't great. Poor attendance. In fairness the jungle bhoys were doing their best, some catchy jingles to try and liven up the place. Fair play to them!

Good to see Naka finally back, and Hinkel playing. God knows we needed a defender!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Jaysus, didn't take him long to get back in the swing of things!

Bjarnason has been let go to Lyn on a permanent because of an apparent row he had with Strachan in the summer. I think we're really going to get this. Looks a class player and a regular for Iceland the past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Rangers 1 nil up at half time.
    ferguson with a great finish.

looked fairly scrappy, Adam doesnt really fit into the system were using justnow and Cousin can get to fulham, but burke and naismith are having smashing games

Excellent goal by Ferguson, superb run.

• Advertisement

Excellent goal by Ferguson, superb run.

Its been great watching ferguson go forward in the last few games, i dont think its too much of a coincidence that it has came at the same time as Hemdani's return to the team.

1-1 Dr. Deuchar scores straight after the restart

Eirebhoy? Are you any relation to that ****ing linesman?

Eirebear wrote: »
    Eirebhoy? Are you any relation to that ****ing linesman?
    What happened? :D I could only negotiate the telly for the 1st half. I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I was going to lump on Celtic for the league when I get paid but if Rangers drop points Celtic might go into a price not worth backing. Still though. Come on Gretna!

What happened? :D I could only negotiate the telly for the 1st half. I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I was going to lump on Celtic for the league when I get paid but if Rangers drop points Celtic might go into a price not worth backing. Still though. Come on Gretna!

2-1 to us now mate, that frenchman confounds his critics yet again (the bastard)

2 stone wall penalties and another possible knocked back before the goal

2-1 FT

Good battling win against a Gretna side who were really up for it.
    Rangers played some great passing football but gretna defended in numbers and broke extremely fast when they won the ball.

I would be putting my bet on Gretna staying up Eirebhoy, youll get great odds on that...and more chance of getting your money back! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

David Murphy has joined Brum for a cheap £1.5 Million. :(

Shame to see him go - he really was an exceptional player I thought.

I fear for our defense now.

Left back is apparently Lewis Stevenson's "natural" position. He has been a bit dodgy there in the past but he's an intelligent player that will learn. I think he has great potential.

Left back is apparently Lewis Stevenson's "natural" position. He has been a bit dodgy there in the past but he's an intelligent player that will learn. I think he has great potential.

Agreed, would still prefer to keep Murphy though. Hopefully the money can be used to bring in some new players.

• Advertisement

Blackjack wrote: »
    Hopefully the money can be used to bring in some new players.

Ask John Collins about that. :(

Not sure about this signing to be honest.

Read today that Paatelainen is a little unfamiliar with the Football in Scotland and indeed the UK in General since working in Finland. I can't see the rest of the season being too pleasant (unless the Jambo's get relegated, then it would be most excellent).

Tomrrow's Mirror has Celtic linked with Mark Noble. No chance. Even if they did come up with the millions to get a bid accepted I couldn't see him moving to Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

PauloMN wrote: »
    Coelho's going home:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7181857.stm

Is anyone surprised? You could almost sense the "what the **** are we gonna do with this lad now that we got Hinkel" vibes from Parkhead the past week.

to be fair, his agent seems to be the villan of the piece. Celtic had him on a trial, he told both Coehlo and the Brazilian club a contract was on the table when none was. Queue lots of headscratching from the suits in Kerrydale St when Coehlo announced he was a Celtic player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just after reading about Mixu Paatelainen on the Hibs website.

In the 2nd pic in this link has anyone noticed he is very similar looking to Martin Jol ?

http://www.hibs.co.uk/news/more.php?id=2560_0_1_0_C

Decent game today. Loads of shots on goal and a clean sheet anyway. Donati was excellent. That's 3 good games in a row. Naka gave the ball away more than usual but the speed of his passing was fantastic. The vast majority of his passes were split second. Off the ball he helped out Hartley at right back and won the ball maybe 3 or 4 times. McDonald was really lively. The defence had very little to do and Boruc probably touched the ball about twice.

Negatives were Hinkel and Vennegoor's injury. Jan got a really bad head cut but should be back for the next game. i really hope Hinkel is ok. He's such an attacking threat and I can see him scoring a few goals in the SPL. He doesn't just think it's his job when he has the ball to put in crosses like most of our full backs.

McGeady was missed today.

• Advertisement

It was squeaky bums time in Inverness today eh?
    s'pose you could say we done a celtic!:D

I only saw the first half today as i had to go visit my maw-in-law in the hospital (awful selfish of her i think!) so i havnt seen the Adam decision yet, but weve had a few tough decisions made by linesmen in the last few games, so hopefully were due a couple of dodgy ones in our favour!

As for the fixtures, tbh ill be surprised if both teams dont drop a few points tbh because the fixtures coming up are just crazy

Ouch! :D
    Definetly looks like we wont be signing anyone after Walters comments yesterday...but then i think that may be better than signing christian dailly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

the only thing worse than trying to sign Christian Dailly is him turning you down.

Hate that :D.

the only thing worse than trying to sign Christian Dailly is him turning you down.

Hate that :D.

Ooft!:D

\there was a great quote on a rangers forum i use from a guy down south when the story broke about his family.

"I live just down the road from Christian, im not related to him and dont know the guy at all but i would really like him to stay close to me......and well away from ibrox!":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Lads when do you reckon the old firm match will be played i have been stung twice with the flights! maybe march 12th?

Badabing wrote: »
    Lads when do you reckon the old firm match will be played i have been stung twice with the flights! maybe march 12th?

All I know is what I read, that the SPL will announce dates for huns v us and St. Mirren before the end of the month. Sorry, not much use to you. :(

Aer Lingus and Ryanair must have made a fortune from these cancelled games!

I see we're looking at a left back and a keeper, wish a centre back was on the list, hopefully there'll be some action there. Glad we're looking at a backup for Boruc when he eventually goes as Mark Brown is one of the least impressive Celtic players I've seen of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I can see celtic selling Boruc in the summer for around 10 million hence the new contract, we couldn't turn that kind of money down.

Slovakian left back Jan Durica's confirmed today that Celtic bid €4m for him a few days ago but it was turned down. As Paulo says we've got a Polish international left back on trial as well as the MLS goalkeeper of the year. Confirmed loan bids for McFadden, van Buyten, Simunic and the signings of Hinkel and Mizuno (imminent). Strachan's really trying his best to get players in but having a tough time.

My sad self spent the last 5 evenings watching my hero in the Old Firm derbies. Basically because I would not forgive myself if I let him leave Celtic with a reputation of "hiding" against Rangers. 1 a night and a total of 5 matches. Obviously it only includes his best bits but 95% of the things he does are simple stuff which won't go in the video anyway.

Celtic 2-0 Rangers - Cup game
    Celtic 3-0 Rangers
    Celtic 2-0 Rangers - Millers first goal
    Rangers 1-1 Celtic
    Celtic 0-1 Rangers

I didn't bother getting video's of a couple of games at Ibrox I thought he was pretty poor and obviously the games he didn't play in.

Anyway, I've put together a few of his clips. I'm a video making amateur but tried my best. Starts off with him taking a couple of fouls. Then leads to 11 of his tackles/fouls. Then onto the football.

Watch out for minute 4.32. Head, shoulder knees and toes. Well almost. ;) He Takes a high ball down with his head, onto his shoulder, down to his foot. He takes it by Lennon who seems to be tackling him and clips a pass. All that with a hun hanging out of his arm. :p

My sad self spent the last 5 evenings watching my hero in the Old Firm derbies. Basically because I would not forgive myself if I let him leave Celtic with a reputation of "hiding" against Rangers. 1 a night and a total of 5 matches. Obviously it only includes his best bits but 95% of the things he does are simple stuff which won't go in the video anyway.

Celtic 2-0 Rangers - Cup game
    Celtic 3-0 Rangers
    Celtic 2-0 Rangers - Millers first goal
    Rangers 1-1 Celtic
    Celtic 0-1 Rangers

I didn't bother getting video's of a couple of games at Ibrox I thought he was pretty poor and obviously the games he didn't play in.

Anyway, I've put together a few of his clips. I'm a video making amateur but tried my best. Starts off with him taking a couple of fouls. Then leads to 11 of his tackles/fouls. Then onto the football.

Watch out for minute 4.32. Head, shoulder knees and toes. Well almost. ;) He Takes a high ball down with his head, onto his shoulder, down to his foot. He takes it by Lennon who seems to be tackling him and clips a pass. All that with a hun hanging out of his arm. :p

where's the video?. Do you have a link?

Jaysus, I don't know whether to be shocked that I forgot to post it or that a Hibs fan is looking for it. :p I've been drinking since about half 6 while putting the video together so apologies. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAtVO1UHgxI

Jaysus, I don't know whether to be shocked that I forgot to post it or that a Hibs fan is looking for it. :p I've been drinking since about half 6 while putting the video together so apologies. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAtVO1UHgxI

I like good football - that why I follow the Hibees!:p.

(mind you they've been ****e for a while.:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement