Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Nah I'm happy he went with a 4-5-1. They came out of the game with a bit of credit by actually passing the ball to a teammate most of the time and showing good movement (as well as playing high up the pitch in the 2nd half). 4-4-2 would have just left the defence more exposed and meant the midfielders would have been given less freedom to float about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

What did you think of Naka btw? :) imo easily our motm. Definitely our most involved player anyway and never wasted the ball. I wish he was allowed play in the centre more often. Even if you wanted to play 2 up front he'd still be fine in the centre at home in the SPL. Might be too much of a risk away from home.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Naka played very well tonight, much more the Naka we know and completely opposite to his performance in the first leg at home. Peach of a shot on goal also.

MOTM? Close call between him, Boruc, and... dare I say it... Sno. :eek: I thought Sno was excellent, and he really surprised me.

Donati was so poor I was shocked. Him and Brown cost the guts of £8m between them and they were bought for games like this. Neither were near good enough tonight.

Brown's gonna be class though imo. I just can't see him failing.

Donati really let us down. Sno will start the next game now and it's up to him to keep his place. I really like Sno. So much potential but he makes a terrible mistake in every game. Tonight was no different when he lost the ball by trying to beat a player in his own half. Excellent technique, very dominant player and positionally sound. Obviously rated by the Dutch camp too. Don't know how we got him for so cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Respectable enough performance from us tonight i thought. I wouldve given Barca a 4-0 if i was pushed for a score before the game. 1-0 were out, but it certainly was better than the 1st leg. Sno, Naka, McGeady and of course Boruc stood out for me.

I agree Donati was poor. He has been poor all season. I especially hate the clumsy way he goes into tackles and gives needlees frees away. I think Sno deserves to get into our starting XI in place of Donati. Hes a better shout in my book.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

By the way, can we rename this thread back to the Celtic discussion thread?

That title pisses me off. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote: »
    By the way, can we rename this thread back to the Celtic discussion thread?

That title pisses me off. :mad:

FFS are you ever happy?! :p
    No one asked for it to be changed in the first place, and i doubt it would make much difference if it was changed back.

As for last night.
    Barca played the game exactly the way they played against us over there, got the early goal (in our game it should never have stood) and spent the rest of the night pasing the ball about and trying to score the perfect goal, as with the first leg...if it wasnt for Boruc....

The media reports are driving me mental today, Celtic (as we were over there) were played off the pitch from start to finish...just because naka had a decent shot in injury time does not make the signs in any way "encouraging" or were they "taking the game to barcalona" all last night proved wa that scottish football in general is light years behind the level of teams like Barca, and while both halves of the old firm can always be relied on to dig their heels in and give a good acount of themselves they will always find themselves second best when it comes to matches like this.

Eirebear wrote: »
    FFS are you ever happy?! :p

Me? Never! :D
    No one asked for it to be changed in the first place, and i doubt it would make much difference if it was changed back.

Exactly my view. It was changed by EPL fans who don't think a Scottish team should have its own thread. I think we should have a Rangers thread as well by the way, just for you to discuss how you lost the league in the last OF game. ;)
    As for last night.
    Barca played the game exactly the way they played against us over there, got the early goal (in our game it should never have stood) and spent the rest of the night pasing the ball about and trying to score the perfect goal, as with the first leg...if it wasnt for Boruc....

The media reports are driving me mental today, Celtic (as we were over there) were played off the pitch from start to finish...just because naka had a decent shot in injury time does not make the signs in any way "encouraging" or were they "taking the game to barcalona" all last night proved wa that scottish football in general is light years behind the level of teams like Barca, and while both halves of the old firm can always be relied on to dig their heels in and give a good acount of themselves they will always find themselves second best when it comes to matches like this.

Well we were outplayed and outclassed, but I for one take encouragement from two things:

1) our first half at CP, and 2nd half last night.
    2) the individual performances of some players last night (Naka, Sno, Boruc, Samaras and McGeady in particular).

• Advertisement

Well we were outplayed and outclassed, but I for one take encouragement from two things:

1) our first half at CP, and 2nd half last night.
    2) the individual performances of some players last night (Naka, Sno, Boruc, Samaras and McGeady in particular).

A Rangers thread....hmmm my own little piece of boards!:D

First half at CP I didnt see, but i fully expected Celtic to make a go of it at home.

As for the individual performances, TBH i dont think you can judge McGeady or Naka either way as they saw very little of the ball.

Sno is a player i actually rate more than most celtic fans do, if he can get the rashness out of his game he will be a good player.
    Boruc goes without saying, he pulled off at least three saves in either game which a lesser keeper wouldnt have got near.
    Samaras is a cracking player, and probably the one player i am truly worried about when it comes to the upcoming old firm madness.

As for the individual performances, TBH i dont think you can judge McGeady or Naka either way as they saw very little of the ball.
    Naka probably played about 35-40 passes last night. That's much more of the ball than I would have expected him to get. He was certainly the most involved Celtic player. He failed to find a teammate probably twice. Celtic passed it very well in the 2nd half. It's rare to see Celtic pass well against anyone away from home in Europe so I was very happy with how they played.

Rangers are 10 times better than Celtic at defending. They sit back and try to catch the opposition on the break. Celtic's main attacks last night was down to good passing rather than catching Barca on the break.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Naka probably played about 35-40 passes last night. That's much more of the ball than I would have expected him to get. He was certainly the most involved Celtic player. He failed to find a teammate probably twice. Celtic passed it very well in the 2nd half. It's rare to see Celtic pass well against anyone away from home in Europe so I was very happy with how they played.

Rangers are 10 times better than Celtic at defending. They sit back and try to catch the opposition on the break. Celtic's main attacks last night was down to good passing rather than catching Barca on the break.

In all reality your talking about a 2nd half against a team who had quite clearly gave up really bothering....and two of them came in inury time!

No one heeded the warnings they should have taken from watching us over there, the game went exactly the same way.

Brown's run onto Sno's through ball was the best chance imo and that was after a good few passes at the start of the first half. Sylvinho did well to get it out for a corner.

ziggy wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Could be a tough game for Celtic on sunday although i said that last time they played, Brown is suspened and Robson cup tied so Strachan will make changes im sure, im going 3-1 Celtic.

I'd say the team will be:

Boruc
    Hinkel---Caldwell---McManus---Naylor
    Nakamura---Hartley---Sno---McGeady
    Samaras---McDonald

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Quick question lads, are Celtic games available anywhere online? rojadirecta etc etc?

Sno deserves a spot against Aberdeen, aside from Brown & Robson not being able to play. He did very well on Tuesday.

Will be a tough game but I expect Celtic to win 2-1.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Quick question lads, are Celtic games available anywhere online? rojadirecta etc etc?
    yeh, I the asian streams are hit and miss but usually a guy on UStream streams them all. Well the home games anyway.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/footys-show

Obviously the quality is poor.

Sounds like Samaras wants to stay.

"I think it is too soon to speak about staying after the summer.

"It is not just up to me. It is up to Celtic and Manchester City to discuss everything.

"The only thing I can say is that I want everything sorted before the European Championships.

"If I have the possibility to stay then I will.

"I think there is an agreement in place between the clubs for a transfer fee which I think is £3million. But it's not just up to me.

"We must sit at the table with everyone and discuss the positive things and the negative things.

"In the end I will make the choice - but I am between two clubs just now."

Heres one for the conspiracy theorists on both sides of the divide ;)
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football-news/scottish-football/2008/03/08/spl-set-to-rescue-gretna-86908-20344252/
    Exclusive Spl Chiefs Ready To Ride To Crisis Club's Rescue In Bid To Prevent League Chaos

FEARFUL SPL chiefs are set to offer Gretna a crisis loan to avoid a chaotic upheaval of the league table.

The cash-strapped club are set to enter into administration on Monday with fears they won't be able to fulfil their remaining fixtures.

Club owner Brooks Mileson's serious illness has led to Gretna's funds drying up and while they struggle to keep themselves afloat there are growing concerns top-flight teams would have EVERY point earned against the Borders club this season declared void.

That nightmare scenario would cut Rangers' lead over Celtic at the top to just one point.

SPL secretary Ian Blair admits that prospect can't be ruled out but is adamant they will provide financial support if it's required.

Scottish Cup Semi Final draw:

Queen of the South v Celtic/Aberdeen
    Hibs/Rangers/Partick Thistle v St Mirren/St Johnstone

To be played at Hampden.

• Advertisement

I think the Record just made you think it was an advantage to Celtic. Celtic still have to play Gretna. If results against them were void then that game would be cancelled. Rangers would have an extra game to play over Celtic. If Celtic failed to beat Gretna this season then it would be an advantage to Rangers.

I dont actually think it will hapen at all Eirebhoy....whence the little ;) i was just trying to have a laugh.
    The SPL have legislation in place in order to protect their own image...gretna will survive in one way or another untill the end of the season

The sooner Gretna are gone the better, it's an embarrassment that they are in the top flight and in such a financial state. They should never have been let into the SPL without a proper stadium among other things.

Great game, and great finish.

I thought we would surely rue all the missed chances today. Glad to get a draw in the end, and pretty sure we'll take them in Parkhead now. We're making a habit of getting these late late goals. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What a match!

Celtic should have been 3 up then Aberdeen should have been 3 up near the end. Great saves from Boruc and what a finish. Literally 30 seconds left

wow...you lot really do manage to pull it out of the hat sometimes dont you?
    Still its another game to add to the fixture list, im happy enough with that....cant wait to see you in the final!

Samaras is so dangerous on the ball, i thought Strachan would have taking Jan off cause Mcdonald is always a threat but he was proved right in the end, i was impressed with Hinkel he is a very good defender. Looks now there will have to be back to back old firm matches in mid -late april.

Ah well a nice wee quiet 1-0 win at Ibrox in the cup, that'll do!

Novo's bloody red mist comes down again...i love the wee guy but hes a frickin idiot.
    Walter Smith sent to the stands after going head to head with big Mixu, great stuff! :D
    Not entirely sure what he was annoyed about because by all accounts Novo deserved to walk for his tackle, im guessing there was something said just afterwards.

ziggy wrote: »

Yeah, that was a real example of a picture being worth a thousand words. :) The one thing he had said he didn't want to happen (aside from losing of course) was to end up in Parkhead.

Exciting match, and even though it nearly went Pete Tong, I thought Celtic played well.

Walter Smith sent to the stands after going head to head with big Mixu, great stuff! :D
    Not entirely sure what he was annoyed about because by all accounts Novo deserved to walk for his tackle, im guessing there was something said just afterwards.
    He'll be banned for the Celtic match at the end of the month now.

Yep, he spends most of his tim in the stands anyway, im not all that worried.
    I unsure if this means a dresing room ban though?
    I know it does in England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Yeah, that was a real example of a picture being worth a thousand words. :) The one thing he had said he didn't want to happen (aside from losing of course) was to end up in Parkhead.

I'm sure his chairman disagrees, financially its the best result for the Dingles

Gretna enter administration:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhojcwqlidcw/

Will be interesting to see the fallout.

• Advertisement

Gretna enter administration:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhojcwqlidcw/

Will be interesting to see the fallout.

Never should have been allowed into the SPL. I feel for the players but it makes a mockery of the SPL to allow teams who can't even get a proper stadium/pitch together into the country's top league. Sorry but if a team can't get together a reasonable grass pitch with decent drainage and a basic stadium that complies with the regulations, then bye bye - no bending of the rules thanks.

They're going to be docked ten points now, so if their relegation wasn't already guaranteed, it is now. Mind you, even relegation might not matter to them at this stage.

As for the SPL, not only have they messed up by allowing Gretna in, they've messed up the already crap pitch at Fir Park by allowing the ground-sharing. More postponed games, and I can't see our game against Motherwell going ahead, or possibly the Gretna game either with the current weather.

Bunch of jokers. :mad:

I agree. This must be a real embarassement for the SPL. I suspect they'll learn from this, and tighten the regulations for admission to the top tier in the future.

Next years ploughing championships to be held in Fir Park - see attachment:

A few clips of Koki Mizuno in a reserve friendly game a few weeks ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym4wNKd7nNM

Looks very intelligent in the bits they show. Very Naka like and he has what Nak wishes he has, pace.

Next years ploughing championships to be held in Fir Park - see attachment:

I thought they spent 50k fixing the pitch up for the season a few weeks ago?

A younger faster Naka eh. Looks like a good prospect alright. :)

Interesting lineup tonight.

Boruc
    Hinkel---Caldwell---McManus---Naylor
    -Nakamura---Sno--Brown---McGeady-
    Samaras---McDonald

Good to see Strachan experimenting a little when Hartley would have been the safe option as he's in decent form. Sno, Brown and McGeady all 22 or under. Samaras and McDonald are 23 and 24 respectively. The 29 year old Naka is like an old man in that team. :D

Can't find any streams though. :( Don't even think it's on foreign telly.

Sounds like a good start.

09:00
    Good play continues from Celtic, Naka cross delivered to the back post. Samaras gets up, but fails to keep his header down on target.

08:00
    Good switch of play by McGeady, ball swept across to the right for Nakamura, lays the ball on to Hinkel who cuts in from the byline and lays the ball back to McDonald. His shot is deflected away from goal.

03:00
    First good breakaway by Celtic. McGeady breaks down the line, lifts a ball into the box which is flicked on by McDonald. Ball drops for Nakamura at the back post who shapes to shoot and then curls the ball toward the bottom corner. His shot clips the outside of the post!

Found a stream:
    sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/10053

• Advertisement

Oh damn. A draw at Ibrox and 2 home wins is now very important to make up for this. I wouldn't have backed Celtic to get anything out of the game at Ibrox previously but now they know they have to get something. Both sides will know that. Rangers will instinctively sit back while the best game for them against Celtic is to attack. Our defence is brutal.

Advertisement