Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

odonnell wrote: »
    luckily though mate - the beaten team were a quite average celtic team, so the universe can function normally for the time being at least!

Look who the cat dragged in.... long time no hear mate! Happy camper?
    Eirebear wrote:
    Awww diddums Paul...did someone try and get the poor wee angelic Celtic fans in trouble? Terrible that is, absolutely terrible, you must feel so hard done by. I mean you lot would never do things like that would you?

Us? The difference is, we'd actually catch you lot inside the stadium singing FTP and doing the ever popular naz... I mean red hand salutes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭FRM

Why is it that TGFTIW's supporters never once hold their hands up and say 'well you know what we were beaten by the better team'?

It's always someone elses fault.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

FRM wrote: »
    Why is it that TGFTIW's supporters never once hold their hands up and say 'well you know what we were beaten by the better team'?

I think Celtic supporters in general accept it when the better team win. I didn't hear many protest about the last 3 OF games.

This one was different though. Thompson should definitely have been offski for blatant cheating, and Whittaker got away with fouling Brown in the box also.

The SFA are making a big deal of retrospective punishments for diving at the moment. A clear case of it is presented to them at the weekend, and they decide against taking action.

If this isn't a perfect example of the cheating that is ruining football, I don't know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

odonnell wrote: »
    luckily though mate - the beaten team were a quite average celtic team, so the universe can function normally for the time being at least!
    No arguments here. I've been saying it all year that this Celtic team is racked with frailties, especially at the back. Rangers are more solid at the back and they can hang on to a 1-0. Thats the main difference as i see it. Walter Smith has done a good job, and deserves the credit.
    FRM wrote:

but but... it was the refs fault. Only for him we wouldve won by a mile ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote: »
    I think Celtic supporters in general accept it when the better team win. I didn't hear many protest about the last 3 OF games.

This one was different though. Thompson should definitely have been offski for blatant cheating, and Whittaker got away with fouling Brown in the box also.

The SFA are making a big deal of retrospective punishments for diving at the moment. A clear case of it is presented to them at the weekend, and they decide against taking action.

If this isn't a perfect example of the cheating that is ruining football, I don't know what is.

And what about Naylor completely halfing Davis a couple of minutes after he had been booked for dissent?
    And Thomsons original booking for not putting the ball in the right place...or something like that...it wasnt really all that clear.?

If the Brown incident had resulted in a penalty, it would have been of the soft variety to say the least, yes i have seen them given...but i also know that if it was given against you lot...you would have ben up in arms about the referee....see a pattern here?

You can whinge and oan about referees and diving all you want Paul...but it wont change the fact that we beat you. Fair and Square.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    You can whinge and oan about referees and diving all you want Paul...but it wont change the fact that we beat you. Fair and Square.

He's still a cheating little cnut though. ;)

:p If he had got sent off his best mate would have picked up another one of those "undeserved" bookings on saturday also! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Look who the cat dragged in.... long time no hear mate! Happy camper?

heh hiya bud, long time no speak and all that.

Ach id been keeping my head low for a while, it was actually a thread in a rangers forum that brought me back in! For a bit there I was getting agitated with the whole rangers celtic thing so I didnt bother posting, merely reading and moving along...nerves intact!

Ach it was a mince game played out by two barely more than mince teams mate, and without getting into the dynamics of it, I thought Rangers probably would have gotten the win 9 times out of 10, all things being equal - what surprised me was how very few chances we really had and how deep we were sitting allowing Celtic to come at us. 4-5-1 at Ibrox didnt surprise me either as Smith seems to have a nose for games that might run us ragged therefore he automatically chooses to defend and counter. Wise enough, though not visually pleasing eh? (it also gives celtic fans something to moan about in pubs!) :)

hows the form though?

[edit] - incidentally - the title is by NO means over...im looking at the upcoming fixture list and I tell yous, im frightened by it. I think we have far more potential to slip up than Celtic do leading into the split.

RANGERS:

Thursday, 03 April 2008
    UEFA Cup
    Rangers v Sporting, Quarter Final, L1, 19:45

Sunday, 06 April 2008
    Clydesdale Bank Premier League
    Dundee Utd v Rangers, 14:00

Thursday, 10 April 2008
    UEFA Cup
    Sporting v Rangers, Quarter Final, L2, 19:45

Sunday, 13 April 2008
    Scottish Cup
    Partick v Rangers, R6, 15:00

Wednesday, 16 April 2008
    Celtic v Rangers, 19:45

CELTIC:

Saturday, 05 April 2008
    Celtic v Motherwell, 15:00

Sunday, 13 April 2008
    Motherwell v Celtic, 14:00

Wednesday, 16 April 2008
    Celtic v Rangers, 19:45

For years we had to watch Mutton and Scuba Stan hitting the deck with O'Squeel....

Again that point was quite nicely ignored from my eariler point....

The fact of the matter is that Chesney's team has been eventually found out for what it is... and not even by a good Rangers team....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Neil Lennon back at Celtic as first team coach and general annoy rangers fans figure. What do you think? It's on Celtic website.

• Advertisement

Badabing wrote: »
    Neil Lennon back at Celtic as first team coach and general annoy rangers fans figure. What do you think? It's on Celtic website.

What? Its on the site that hes back in order to wind up gers fans?! Thats shocking! :D

Welcome back Neil...just in time really!

Well you know yourself they can't say that in so many words:) Can you see him and Mcoist or Durrant on the sidelines!!

Well you know yourself they can't say that in so many words:) Can you see him and Mcoist or Durrant on the sidelines!!

Its gonna be sooo much fun.

Although i reckon Kenny McDowell may be more of a target for him, he is after all doing Kenny's old job! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

sorry if this has already been posted!
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=0CK9-OixmCU
    :D:D

Excellent. We could do with a bit of heart in that dressing room. Someone who is... dare I say it... "Celtic minded", and knows what it means to play in the Hoops.

Welcome home Lenny. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What a poor European game at Ibrox. Another inspired 4-5-1 option from Smith (in the home leg!)

Hopefull Lennon can instill a bit of passion into Celtic for the remainder of the season

What a poor European game at Ibrox. Another inspired 4-5-1 option from Smith (in the home leg!)

Did you expect any different? 4-5-1 against that team at home was mad though. Heard plenty of booing at the end.

They could still go through but they really should be looking to beat the likes of Sporting at home.

:D ADIG's reviews of Rangers performances always brighten up my day.

He is right however, it wasnt a great show from us last night against a fairly poor looking Sporting team.
    We couldnt break them down and showed a fair lack of imagination despite having much of the posession inside the opposition half.

I do however think we will get chances over there, and i still think we have every chance of going through to the semis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Good to see the chief annoyer of huns back in Celtic park. :)

The huns lack of ambition at home against Sporting was quite staggering. Insipid anti-football has served them well so far i suppose why change now. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Celtic to win today, Rangers to lose tomorrow. Celtic to win the remaining 7 games. Celtic win the league. Anything is possible.

I said a few weeks ago that Rangers would sit back in the Old Firm and that would suit Celtic. They sat back in the first half and it did suit Celtic. We deserved to be winning. Rangers got at them in the 2nd half and Rangers were the better team in the 2nd half. I don't know why Walt decided to let Celtic play in the first place and they were extremely lucky to be winning at half time. My oul mate Naka had a decent game in Ibrox at last. Very involved and really determined. A lot of the players played well actually, in the first half at least.

Let's hope it's backs against the walls at Celtic Park because their luck will run out soon enough and the goals will come for Celtic.

• Advertisement

Good to see the chief annoyer of huns back in Celtic park. :):

Yeah...welcome back Eirebhoy! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

hehe. :) You'll be glad to hear I'll be gone now for probably another few weeks. My house is a building site atm and only got access to a few forums at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

:mad: :mad:

What has Strachan done to Celtic :mad: Time for him to go, he has no clue how to change formation during a game

Due to not wanting to jinx anything, i will be refusing to comment untill tomorrow.

I can though give you a sneak preview of what it might look like:

YAPUREWE****INDANCER!!!!!!!!!:D

And that's that. Whatever hope there was is all but gone now. To be honest, as much as it pains me to say it, Rangers deserve the league now as we just haven't had the bottle this season to hold it. We've played pretty poor football under Strachan for 3 seasons now, but last season and the season previous, at least we simply wouldn't have surrendered a 2 goal lead against ICT for example. We had a bit of spirit.

Strachan has to go, but I honestly think he'll be around come the start of next season. He actually has a decent squad there, and they should be well capable of winning the SPL, but he just doesn't seem to have the tactical capabilities to get them playing well as a team. This refusal to play Riordan has got on my nerves recently as well - when we most needed him to play. He's been scoring in the reserves, playing good football and yet Strachan has refused to play him.

Hopefully with Lenny back we'll see some pride restored in the team come next season. And please please please a new manager.

Hopefully Lawell has been sounding out David Moyes agent, Strachan hasn't a clue.

Hopefully Lawell has been sounding out David Moyes agent, Strachan hasn't a clue.

I think the board will back Strachan for the moment. Season ticket sales - or lack thereof - is the only thing that would force them to change their mind.

Strachan has really got annoying lately with this persistent refusal to admit the problems with his team selection and tactics. I actually had to turn off Sky the other night when himself and Souness were in the studio for the Arsenal v Liverpool game. ****ting on for about 10 mins about zonal defending v man marking, like he was the expert on the subject. Between that and the wise cracks (that he repeated on Celtic TV yesterday), it was pass-the-bucket stuff.

FFS Gordon, do yourself a favour and go now.

This refusal to play Riordan has got on my nerves recently as well - when we most needed him to play. He's been scoring in the reserves, playing good football and yet Strachan has refused to play him.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_3391378,00.html

Riordan speaks out, couldn't agree with him more. What a waste of talent just so the ego of the little ginger fud wouldn't be damaged.

I used to hate seeing Riordan playing against us for Hibs, always thought he'd have been a really good buy for us. When he was bought, I was delighted. Under another manager, he could have been our top scorer, I've no doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

3-3 Dundee and Rangers.

Surely Noel Hunt should get a call up to the Irish squad.

• Advertisement

Rangers will drop points before end of season, we just have to try and take advantage of when they do. They'll drop 2 next week for starters. :D

EternalOptimists CSC

Well as predicted, 2 points dropped. Mind you, I'd never have predicted a 3-3 draw to be fair. :eek:

Unfortunately it's too little too late for Celtic. Would have been the ideal opportunity to close that gap with a win over Motherwell, but a gutless Celtic performance put paid to that.

I thought Boyd was very lucky to escape a couple of bookings today, but I shouldn't be surprised of course. Talk about inciting the crowd after he scored. As for his dive, he's obviously been reading "How to be a cheating fud" by his team mate Kevin Thomson, but he mustn't have got to the page about at least making it look realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Hearts in the bottom six of the league at the end of this year, Hibees still in with (a slim one mind) a shout for 3rd.

Hearts in the bottom half. ROFL!.

:D:D:D

Ah so Boydie now is a diver..... when exactly was he meant to have dived? Or are you just listening to bitter Scott Booth?

It seems the hurting still goes on. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You don't think he dived? Take off the blue tints FFS. It was so blatant it was pathetic. Kalvenes wasn't even near him when he dived.

Should have been booked for it, but of course not surprisingly he got away with it, just as Thomson did last week. And just as he got away with his goal celebration. The inconsistency in Scottish refereeing is stunning.

And the consistency of the supporters of Celtic is stunning.... still going on about cheating..... For the 3rd time I will give you the names Sutton and Petrov.

You really should be more interested in the troubles at Paradise but hey whats new.... sweep sweep sweep....

FRM wrote: »
    And the consistency of the supporters of Celtic is stunning.... still going on about cheating..... For the 3rd time I will give you the names Sutton and Petrov.

You really should be more interested in the troubles at Paradise but hey whats new.... sweep sweep sweep....

What do Sutton and Petrov have to do with this?

At least you're not denying that Boyd and Thomson are not only cheats, but are getting away with it.

As for the trouble at Paradise, my views on that are well documented if you care to read any of my posts.

• Advertisement

Do I have to spell it out about Sutton and Petrov?? For years when ever anyone tickled them they hit the deck quicker than an Aberdonian who had dropped a penny....

As for Boyd and Thomson being labelled cheats, I could give you a blow by blow account of Sporting Lisbon last Thursday night at Ibrox BUT there isn't any intimidation from our side of the city.

The green and grey hooped hordes really need to look a little bit more at home first and stop blaming everything else under the sun for their short comings.

As for David Moyes coming the Celtic Park, if Strachan isn't a 'Celtic man' someone should do some digging on Moyes's family background. I can tell you right now his tenious 24 game spell for Celtic reserves won't appease the car park crowd ;);););)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Celtic players Aiden McGeady, Scott McDonald and Barry Robson have been shortlisted for the PFA Scotland Player of the Year award.

The fourth player to complete the candidate list is Rangers' Spanish defender Carlos Cuellar.

McGeady has also been included in the young player of the year category.

He is joined by Falkirk midfielder Scott Arfield, Hibernian forward Steven Fletcher, Motherwell's Ross McCormack and Dundee midfielder Kevin McDonald.

Every footballer affiliated to the Professional Footballers' Association Scotland is eligible to vote, with the winners to be announced on 20 April.

"This is the top award for players," said PFA Scotland chief executive Fraser Wishart.

"There is no greater honour in football than to be voted the best player in your country by your fellow professionals."

The PFA Scotland took over this season from the Scottish Professional Footballers' Association as the country's union for football players.

Last year's winner was Celtic's Japanese international midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura.

The young player award went to Steven Naismith, then of Kilmarnock

TBH I would give it to Cuellar. Has been great for Rangers this year. Very consistant and one og the main reasons Rangers will (probably) win the title.
    McGeady lacks the consitancy, but he is a much more entertaining player.

jimmyboy wrote: »
    TBH I would give it to Cuellar. Has been great for Rangers this year. Very consistant and one og the main reasons Rangers will (probably) win the title.
    McGeady lacks the consitancy, but he is a much more entertaining player.

I'd give it to Ugly Betty as well, aside from the own goal at the weekend he's been outstanding. He and Ferguson are the two players I'd take from that mob. Maybe McGregor as well if we didn't have Boruc.

He'll get it anyway. 1 hun shortlisted, nobody else to split the hun votes. ;)

Last old firm match sunday 27th april, sorry i cant do links:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The 16th and the 26th. 11 days between them.
    Already looking too late!
    Who's Rangers game in hand against?

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote: »
    Who's Rangers game in hand against?

St. Mirren and Motherwell, both away.

All in here:
    http://www.scotprem.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10002~1284304,00.html

According to the list Gretna only have one 'home' game after the spilt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Boyd should have seen straight red for that. No question.

Looking forward to the summer for a while who do you think will be out the door at both Celtic and Rangers? Celtic i would say presuming Strachan is still there Riordan, Gravesen, Donati, Killen, Balde, obiously Pressley, maybe Boruc if offer big enough. and Rangers Broadfoot is possibly be the worst defender i've seen so please god keep him:)

Looking forward to the summer for a while who do you think will be out the door at both Celtic and Rangers? Celtic i would say presuming Strachan is still there Riordan, Gravesen, Donati, Killen, Balde, obiously Pressley, maybe Boruc if offer big enough. and Rangers Broadfoot is possibly be the worst defender i've seen so please god keep him:)

Like you say, a lot depends on whether Strachan is around, but I'd expect the following to be gone:

- Balde
    - Riordan
    - Donati
    - Pressley
    - Boruc for big money

Gravesen I just don't know about. He's on decent money at Celtic if all the hype is to be believed, I'm not sure how long he has left on his contract but he will be hard to get rid off. Can see him hanging around like Balde as I don't think any big club will be interested in him at this stage. Half of me wonders would he do better for us under a different manager, the other half of me says get rid.

I would hope we could offload Caldwell, nothing personal against the guy but I just don't think he's up for it, and we have better players in the backups like O'Dea.

I think McGeady will be with us a while longer. Has his head screwed on unlike the other Premiership glory hunters like Miller and Maloney. Great player, although he's carrying too much responsibility at the moment because of a generally deficient midfield.

Would love to keep Samaras - I hope they can sort out a permanent deal for him. Can be a great player for us and I'd like to see him make the position his.

I hear rumours that Naylor might be off at the end of the season, he's getting ripped apart on KDS which I think is a bit harsh, he's not had as good a season as last year, but he's hardly the weakest link.

Killen - don't know what I'd do there, maybe stick with him another season, potential to turn into another Riordan situation though. Mind you he probably doesn't have the same attitude. ;)

Scott Brown - have to see better from him next season. I've been underwhelmed to say the least after a reasonable start. So many players were getting pelters when this guy was seemingly untouchable, but to me he has been as much a part of our failure this season as anyone. We all know he has potential, time to start seeing it on the pitch. One or two flashes of brilliance every few games is not good enough.

Have to see Mizuno and Hutchinson get first team action next season. Both look good in the reserves. Would like to see Hutchinson challenging McDonald for a place, keep Skippy on his toes.

As for ins - I'd like to see:

- a new manager (don't think it will happen)
    - a new keeper (assuming Boruc is for the off)
    - a new left-back, someone along the quality of Hinkel would be great
    - a new centre-back to replace Caldwell
    - a new midfielder to replace Donati
    - some coaching staff that can show the strikers how to score goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Greetings sports fans!

As some of you may have seen, I am currently doing a bit of a survey on the soccer forum. I know some of you have responded so cheers for that but it would great to get as many people as possible.

It's just three short questions so pop on over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think Celtic fans have to say hats off to Rangers for progressing through to the semi-finals of the Uefa Cup. The first time to reach such a stage in 30-odd years I understand. Walter Smith and Ally McCoist have played a big part in this achievement.

In a way, it shows how much Rangers have improved, and although that is painful for Celtic, it is good for competition among the big-2 in Scotland and for spurring Celtic on to improve and get back on top. Such improvement should also help Celtic do better in the CL, etc (or the Uefa Cup!).

It also shows that Strachan perhaps isnt doing that bad, and perhaps a recognition that its more to do with Rangers improvement than a Celtic collapse.

---

Run-In
    By the way, whats the story with the run-in of matches, I can never remember what happens. How many games have Celtic left to play this season?

Redspider

redspider wrote: »
    It also shows that Strachan perhaps isnt doing that bad, and perhaps a recognition that its more to do with Rangers improvement than a Celtic collapse.

I would have to disagree with that. Rangers have definitely improved and hats off indeed, the quad isn't looking so impossible for them now. :eek:

But I think Strachan really has to go. I honestly couldn't bear another season of the football Celtic are playing currently. We are so predictable, so easy to score against, so poor in front of goal, so ineffective in central midfield. And if you really think about it, I don't think anyone can deny we were like that the previous two seasons as well. We just looked better on paper based on the fact that Rangers were ****e, Hearts self-imploded etc..

Like I've said before, aside from a few required changes, I think we have the makings of a decent squad. It's the coaching and management of that squad that needs attention. Strachan has to go, and I just hope it's before the start of next season, however I suspect it may not be. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Does Eirebhoy still post on here? Havent seen him around in a while

• Advertisement
Advertisement