Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

SantryRed wrote: »
    What date was the league suppose to finish?

The 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

So the first extension had to be granted?

Can't see where they would of fit in the rest of their games before that date.

Ah christ, there you go being all logical now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Amazing what gets archived on the BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/923069.stm]
    Rangers refuse request from Hearts

Rangers have denied the club have been deliberately obstructive by refusing to postpone their Premier League match against Hearts on Sunday.

The Tynecastle club return back to Scotland late on Friday afternoon after their Uefa Cup first round game against Stuttgart.

Hearts had asked the Ibrox club to put back the game, but Rangers turned down their request after consultation with manager Dick Advocaat.

But in a similar situation last October the Edinburgh outfit agreed to switch a fixture between the two clubs to help Rangers' Champions League campaign.

Rangers, however, are refusing to budge and believe Hearts have ample time to recover from their excursions on the continent.

That first extension has already been done to death here. There was a big push on the SPL over the last few days by Rangers/SFA/media to grant another extension to lessen the workload on Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭FRM

Celtic resigning from the SPL lol - jesus wept..... some of the grey and green hooped hordes have a short memory indeed.

The sad death of Phil O'Donnel is where the problems all started from. Why did the OF game on the 2nd of January need to be cancelled?

After all the guy hadn't played for Celtic for 8 or 9 years.

But no doubt yet again the Celitc support will sweep, sweep sweep that away under the carpet

What would really hurt the SPL - and god I hope it happens - is that Rangers turn down ALL away tickets next year.

Maybe SPL actually means - Supporting Peter Liewell ! Oh for the 'sporting integrity'.....

The sad death of Phil O'Donnel is where the problems all started from. Why did the OF game on the 2nd of January need to be cancelled?

After all the guy hadn't played for Celtic for 8 or 9 years.

But no doubt yet again the Celitc support will sweep, sweep sweep that away under the carpet

You are coming across as a sad, bitter & delusional Rangers fan. In fact, you sound like the other Rangers fans who were on the Clyde phone in over the last few nights. Nothing to be swept under the carpet as there is only one individual on here who wants to use the death of Phil O'Donnell as an excuse for the fixture pile up Rangers now face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

FRM wrote: »

......and Rangers fans wonder why there not liked, disgraceful comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Shocking comments, we don't have to agree on everything and it's good to discuss and argue points but please refrain from that kind of talk, Eirebear is a great example of construtive arguements on this forum he can give it and take it and in the right spirit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I don't know why you bother with him lads, he's just a wind-up merchant.

• Advertisement

Aaaaaaanyway, back to the football.

I wonder will motherwell see fit to play their best goalkeeper, along with the two off their best performers this season they decided to "rest" against Celtic last week?

Looking at their team, i can almost justify the fact that hughes and mccormack were missing......but Graeme Smith for a goalkeeper pretty much completely inexperienced?

Strange decision from someone who is supposedly one of the best managers in the country im sure you will agree!

I heard Mcgee say that matches against the old firm are a bonus so i suupose he doesn't expect any points against them, and thus will keep the top performing players fresh for the other games, sad but true maybe,

Badabing wrote: »
    I heard Mcgee say that matches against the old firm are a bonus so i suupose he doesn't expect any points against them, and thus will keep the top performing players fresh for the other games, sad but true maybe,

I somehow think that throwing a rookie keeper in against Celtic is a going a bit overboard though, especially at this stage in the season.

Fact of the matter is that were an easy target at the moment, therefore he is keeping them fresh for us?

Interesting that theyre all ex-rangers players too.

Im not trying to accuse McGhee of anything here, but i find the goalkeeper decision really bizzare.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Fact of the matter is that were an easy target at the moment, therefore he is keeping them fresh for us?

Don't think so, he said in a interview this morning that he will be resting some players tonight for Aberdeen at the weekend.

Anyone taking bets on Bob Malcom scoring an og tonight?

Anyone taking bets on Bob Malcom scoring an og tonight?

I dunno, id think its probably more typical that he would score a 20 yard screamer against us.

I somehow think that throwing a rookie keeper in against Celtic is a going a bit overboard though, especially at this stage in the season.

Interesting that theyre all ex-rangers players too.

Im not trying to accuse McGhee of anything here, but i find the goalkeeper decision really bizzare.

Maybe there was a phone call from Tony Mowbray to play his player before the end of season:D btw i fully expect Rangers to win comfortably tonight.

Maybe there was a phone call from Tony Mowbray to play his player before the end of season:D btw i fully expect Rangers to win comfortably tonight.

We have to, we have our two final home games against Motherwell and DUFC before the UEFA final, and both are seriously must win games.

Puts some pressure on Celtic, and builds a wee bit of momentum back up for us to take to manchester.

OT, What do you think Setanta, Sky etc.. will make of the mess that has been the spl this season? The new tv contract is up for renewal next april , on one hand the football has improved Hibs, Dundee utd playing excellent stuff and the performance in europe by the old firm and Aberdeen, but the joke that was Gretna and the spl board made Scottish football a laughing stock.

Not really off topic, its the SPL thread now! ;)

TBH, i dont see sky bidding for it anyway, so were stuck with Setanta.

Unfortunately Setanta have now got what they wanted and have a foothold in the premiership, so will slowly start to leave the SPL behind.

The SPL/SFA only have themselves to blame, especially considering the combined fan base of the Old Firm at their disposal...something that the English League would love to have if they could find a way of doing it without annoying the portsmouths and wigans of this world.

• Advertisement

OT, What do you think Setanta, Sky etc.. will make of the mess that has been the spl this season? The new tv contract is up for renewal next april , on one hand the football has improved Hibs, Dundee utd playing excellent stuff and the performance in europe by the old firm and Aberdeen, but the joke that was Gretna and the spl board made Scottish football a laughing stock.

Despite the above, the SPL has still a strong product to sell.
    The title will go down to the last day of the season.
    3 other teams are fighting it out for the UEFA cup spot. That coupled with two strong European campaigns by the OF which will also raise the profile of the SPL should result in a good TV deal.

3 other teams are fighting it out for the UEFA cup spot. That coupled with two strong European campaigns by the OF which will also raise the profile of the SPL should result in a good TV deal.

Yes...but to who?

Im sure Setanta will bid for it this year, but i dont think Sky will.

Its a buyers market in Scotland because of that unfortunately, and with Setanta quickly tunring their attentions to the premiership they have us over a barrell.

I agree, plus the fact that Setanta are picking up rights left right and centre maybe Sky will put in a serious bid to stave of there rise, the standard in the spl has risen in the last couple of years and the gap while still big is closing with the old firm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I dunno, id think its probably more typical that he would score a 20 yard screamer against us.

Boab couldn't score in a brothel. No worries tonight, Rangers will win comfortably.

Utd will be a tougher test, as will the away games.

I agree, plus the fact that Setanta are picking up rights left right and centre maybe Sky will put in a serious bid to stave of there rise, the standard in the spl has risen in the last couple of years and the gap while still big is closing with the old firm.

I'd love to know how much of their custom is because they show the SPL. I'd say it's a pretty big figure, seeing as nobody else shows the games. Don't know about you all, but I'd drop Setanta if they didn't show SPL, and I'd imagine huge numbers in Ireland and across the UK would do so also. Sky would be enough for my Premiership fix.

The SPL - as ****e as it is at times - is a definite USP of Setanta. The Premiership they share with Sky.

PauloMN wrote: »
    I'd love to know how much of their custom is because they show the SPL. I'd say it's a pretty big figure, seeing as nobody else shows the games. Don't know about you all, but I'd drop Setanta if they didn't show SPL, and I'd imagine huge numbers in Ireland and across the UK would do so also. Sky would be enough for my Premiership fix.

The SPL - as ****e as it is at times - is a definite USP of Setanta. The Premiership they share with Sky.

On your last statement: Your dead right, but Setanta were P***** off with all the postponements and moving of fixtures albeit because of the weather etc.. Maybe they will look for assurances of the spl that all pitches will be improved and more notice of moving of games etc.. either way the spl will have to get their house in order or no broadcaster will want their product.

• Advertisement

Well eirebear are you nervous only a few mins to go, will Smith stick with 1 up front?

Edit Boyd up front with Darchville

Well eirebear are you nervous only a few mins to go, will Smith stick with 1 up front?

Edit Boyd up front with Darchville

Mate....I have been nervous in one way or another since we played Werder Bremen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

M'well left out their top 2 scorers. :confused: Ah well another 0-0 would be good.

M'well left out their top 2 scorers. :confused: Ah well another 0-0 would be good.

Aye but hes brought back Hughes McCormack and Smith all of whome he dropped against Celtic.

Very open game right now, both teams having a couple of chances and really going for it.

Rangers playing what looks like a 4-3-3!?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

HT Rangers 0 - 0 Motherwell
    I wont complain if this result will be on FT

Aye but hes brought back Hughes McCormack and Smith all of whome he dropped against Celtic.

Very open game right now, both teams having a couple of chances and really going for it.

Rangers playing what looks like a 4-3-3!?! :eek:

Very open game indeed, chances both ends. A draw seems fair at the moment. A single goal would win this game i feel. McGee has said hes bringing on his strikers after 60 mins. Seems like the kind of information you'd want to keep from the opposition. :confused: Rangers do look tense, and could be vulnerable in the 2nd half if they dont pull up their socks!

This is unbelievable.....looking like one of those nights.

Ally McCoist wanting a game is he?! :)

YES!

Fergies been saving up for that goal eh?:D

phew!

I think we deserved that on our second half performance, but christ we done it the hard way!

Now the focus can turn to putting 3 or 4 past the arabs at the weekend.

Rangers cranked it up in the 2nd half, and M'well looked clueless. Ah well, hopefully Dundee Utd might do better on Saturday. ;)

On an aside, Nacho Novo is one cheating bollix. :mad: Diving, play acting, constantly looking for penos, and trying to con the ref. What a prick!!! I cheered when some M'well player clattered into him, if anyone deserved it....

Ive got to disagree....i love the wee guy, he is passionate, eager and willing to run all day long.

I can see why Celtic fans dont like him though.....he did after all say "no...." ;):p

GRrrr, if i was marking Novo he'd have good reason to be writhing around the place in agony, and he'd certainly know he was in a game the next day. :cool:

Yeah I liked Craigan's (think it was him) sniper bit when Novo went down like a ton of bricks in added time. I'd expect nothing less of Novo, he's a dirty little git. Thomson giving plenty of mouth also (and getting away with it).

Poor game overall, Rangers cranked the pressure up 2nd half, but I thought McCormack had a great chance 1st half which would have changed the game.

Glad Saturday is still on, Rangers look very tired overall. The 3 away games are the key ones, Motherwell and Aberdeen especially. My only concern is that if they get to Aberdeen without dropping points, I'd favour them to get a result there. I think the most likely places for points to be dropped are Saturday or Motherwell away.

Now c'mon the Hoops, two more wins. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

he did after all say "no...." ;):p

No place for that Sh**e in football.

• Advertisement

Blackjack wrote: »
    No place for that Sh**e in football.

WTF!?!?!

Christ Blackjack im only having a bit of a laugh

WTF!?!?!

Christ Blackjack im only having a bit of a laugh

Not having a go at you. No player should be coming out with that rubbish, particularly in Scotland.

All that does is encourage the Gorillas that enjoy that tripe and wind up the other side.

That sort of Sectarian ****e which is all too prevalent is a good enough excuse to leave Scotland.

Not having a go at you. No player should be coming out with that rubbish, particularly in Scotland.

All that does is encourage the Gorillas that enjoy that tripe and wind up the other side.

That sort of Sectarian ****e which is all too prevalent is a good enough excuse to leave Scotland.

What?
    What has Novo done now?

The songs been kicking about for a long time....i take it he sang along at one point?

What?
    What has Novo done now?

The songs been kicking about for a long time....i take it he sang along at one point?

Did you not suggest he just had?.

Did you not suggest he just had?.

Think he was hinting that Novo had said "no" to joining Celtic back in 2004 when he signed for TFOD.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Think he was hinting that Novo had said "no" to joining Celtic back in 2004 when he signed for TFOD.

Ah right, my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well,missed chance for a draw,but they still have time for that in next games;)

Ah right, my bad.

Yes, yes it was.....but ill forgive you this once. :D

Yes, yes it was.....but ill forgive you this once. :D

Ah Good man, I did think (what I thought you'd referred to) was a bit out of character for you to be fair.

• Advertisement

Last home game of the season for the Champions Sunday. For those of you (like me :D) heading across the pond to Paradise;

a) There's will be pre-match music starting at 11.45am
    b) I'll be in O'Neils (Merchant city) for celebratory pints after!

Advertisement