Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

12:30 Rangers - Dundee United
    15:00 Motherwell - Aberdeen
    15:00 Falkirk - Inverness C.T.
    15:00 Hearts - Kilmarnock
    15:00 St. Mirren - Gretna

Todays games,anyone expecting Dundee can draw in Glasgow?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Nacho Novo scores his second. What a hero!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hunt is getting booed because he is one of those footballers who annoy opposition fans... apparently. More likely, it has something to do with their famine song they are singing to him

ziggy wrote: »

Should that be 'Sir Knight McCurry'

Blatant penalty not given to the opposition
    Perfectly good goal chalked off
    Cousin should have walked for headbutting a player

• Advertisement

That was either the most incompetent refereeing ever or the most corrupt. I wonder if the media will demand answers from Knight McCurry

Great result. Now all it needs is a good performance from Hibs to make my weekend perfect.

Hunt dived, offside for the goal, Cousin was smelling Wilkie. Nothing, evens it self out etc

Craig Levin stated what everybody now thinks after that refereeing display

Well it seems Rangers are now on some other way of trying to get points in this tough schedule they have.....

Paraphrasing here

'We were never going to be allowed to win here today and we shouldn't have bothered turning up'

Very close to coming right out with the cheat word when describing McCurry

Didn't see it. Nowhere near a TV and had to follow the text reports on the bbc website.

Match reports say the ref was shocking. But then again, have Celtic never benefited from a dodgy refereeing decision or two? We always hate it when it goes against us, but they tend to even out over a season. Remember Benitez whining about the refereeing after Chelsea beat Liverpool in the Champions League semi? He conveniently forgot Arsenal being denied a stonewall penalty at the Emirates and Liverpool winning a nonexistent penalty at Anfield in the previous round. Swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement

Dundee United manager Craig Levein vented his fury at referee Mike McCurry after a controversial 3-1 defeat by Rangers at Ibrox.

United appeared to be denied a penalty and had a goal chalked off for offside in an explosive second half.

"We had a blatant penalty and he bottled it," Levein told BBC Sport.

"If it's not a level playing field and, if we don't get the decisions, blatant, important decisions then what is the point of turning up?"

The defeat has hit United's hopes of finishing third in the Scottish Premier League and clinching a Uefa Cup spot for next season.

If it's not a level playing field, what's the point of turning up?

Dundee United manager Craig Levein

"I thought Mike McCurry had the balls to stand up and give these decisions, but he bottled it," Levein said.

"Not only is it a penalty kick, but it's a sending off for Davie Weir. But he didn't want to do it because this game meant so much to Rangers."

Levein said he asked the referee what was the point of his players turning up if they were to be the victims of such decisions.

"If it's not a level playing field and, if we don't get the decisions, blatant, important decisions then what is the point of turning up?" he said.

MY SPORT: DEBATE
    Give your reaction to the match at Ibrox

"Anybody who is of a fair mind watching that today would see that we had no chance of winning that.

"We get a perfectly good goal chalked off and a blatant penalty, with not even a decision to make, and it should've been a sending off."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee_utd/7393800.stm

http://media.putfile.com/Craig-Levein-post-match-interview

Craig Levevin interview on Radio Clyde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Didn't see the game today, but you guys are usually pretty spot on with your analysis. Its something i've often thought that the refereeing is crap in the SPL, and on occasion can be quite biased, and one-sided. It is very disappointing by all accounts that a ref cant be neutral and evenhanded in an important game such as this.

Poor old Dundee UTD got shafted it would appear. I feel for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Is McCurry refereeing the Dundee Utd - Celtic match??!

Levein is fuming and rightly so. All season, refereeing in the SPL has been critisised by all corners. There is a problem and it needs to be fixed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Blatant penalty not given to the opposition
    Perfectly good goal chalked off
    Cousin should have walked for headbutting a player

Was Cousin up to that again? He got sent off last time he did that.

Oh, silly me... that was in Europe, not Scotland. :rolleyes: Even Bawwy gets yellows in Europe.

Didn't watch it, but will try to catch the highlights. Watched the playoff instead.

Sounds like the ref had a howler. Levein has made some fairly strong comments there, but unfortunately nothing will change the result. Think we need the likes of a Fr. Paddy Murphy or similar to be reffing these games. ;)

Anyway, on we go. I think most of us expected Rangers to win these two home games, with or without McCurry's help. We just have to win our next two and hope for the best. It would be nice to win by a decent margin to keep the goal difference tidy (just in case :D ) but I'd take any scrappy win at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Can't see the headlines really, this is to be expected in the SPL in all fairness.

As regards the current game, it's end to end stuff. Hibs putting pressure on the hosts today for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

It will be interesting to see if McCurry writes anything for the whistleblower page on the SFA website http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/whistleblower.cfm?newsid=3824

Stone wall penalty not given to Celtic

McDonald has been a bit greedy as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

:(
    4th place best we can expect now.

Very poor from Murray

2-0 now it takes it to the last day of the season. Hopefully Rangers will draw next week

Another victory and thats important,just to win rest of the games and hope Rangers will make least one draw till end and give us chance for title

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

:eek: Levein has every right to feel he was done. Can a ref really be that bad, or is he just plain corrupt?

Anyway back to a more positive note. Great win by the bhoys to keep the pressure on. We could have won by more, but 2-0 will do. McGeady was absolutely superb again today. He is a class act!

you made it,just change results or names of the teams:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Robson has been everything in the last 3 months that Brown hasn' been all season.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Delighted with the win. As with the others, pissed off we didn't get a penalty, but not surprised. Important couple of goals for the goal difference also. Thought Celtic played well overall and deserved the 3 points. Full marks to Robson, Naka, Hartley and McGeady.

Murray's tackle was definitely a straight red, can't see how anyone could say otherwise. If any decision was harsh, it was Canning's 2nd yellow which I thought was borderline. Murray just went to kick McGeady, ball was miles away, straight red - no question.

Also just watched highlights of yesterday's game. I can see now why Levein is furious. Hunbelievable referee, beyond a joke. Fcuking disgrace to be honest. Utd should have got at least a point from that game. How did Cousin stay on the pitch???? :eek: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭FRM

I will make 3 points.

1. OF game - McDonald clearly offside. Goal scored.

2. Celtic v Aberdeen - Diamond scores late equalising goal but chopped off for 'hand ball'. Referee states he made a mistake.

3. Motherwell v Celtic - Balde headers ball out but wins corner. Winning goal scored from it.

Its amazing the short memories Celtic supporters constantly have week in week out in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

FRM wrote: »
    I will make 3 points.

1. OF game - McDonald clearly offside. Goal scored.

2. Celtic v Aberdeen - Diamond scores late equalising goal but chopped off for 'hand ball'. Referee states he made a mistake.

3. Motherwell v Celtic - Balde headers ball out but wins corner. Winning goal scored from it.

Its amazing the short memories Celtic supporters constantly have week in week out in here.

4. Nakamura dives to win a free kick whoch he duly scores to equalise in the last minute against St Mirren.

Yes, McCurry had a bad game on staurday...thats plain to see.
    But how come when bad decisions go other teams way, its all about "The refs are only human...he only gets one look at it....they make mistakes" etc etc.

But when bad decisions go our way its "Corruption...cheating...scandal masons etc etc"

It will be interesting to see if McCurry writes anything for the whistleblower page on the SFA website http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/whistleblower.cfm?newsid=3824

Here you go, McCurry admits his mistakes.
    Referee Michael McCurry has today moved to explain the reasoning behind two of the decisions he took during this weekend’s match between Rangers and Dundee United at Ibrox.

“In the 55th minute of the match Rangers were in possession of the ball and attempted to clear it from their defensive area. As is normal practice, I started to run towards the half way line, anticipating the ball being cleared from defence. The clearance, however, was not successful and the ball struck Noel Hunt of Dundee United, who then played a very quick “one-two” allowing him to chase the ball into the penalty area closely followed by David Weir of Rangers.

“At this point, given the very quick change of the direction of play, I was caught out of position and my line of sight was partially obstructed by another player.

“I saw Noel Hunt fall to the ground with David Weir in close proximity behind him. As my vantage point was extremely poor it was not possible for me to say what or, if any, infringement had occurred.

“Given this significant doubt in my mind it would have been improper for me to simply conclude that an infringement had occurred on the opposite side of the field of play from me. On this basis, I had no option but to allow play to continue amidst the appeal for a penalty kick.

“I have now had the benefit of seeing the incident again on television. I believe that were it not for the fact that I had been caught out of position by the quick transfer of play I would have awarded Dundee United a penalty and would have cautioned the Rangers player David Weir. In my opinion there was another defender in close proximity with the possible opportunity to make a defensive challenge on the attacker.

“In the 71st minute Dundee United were in possession of the ball and Danny Swanson shot towards the Rangers goal from approximately 30-35 yards. The ball appeared to me to be deflected off a Rangers player and entered the goal.

“As I turned to award a goal to Dundee United it was brought to my attention that the stand side Assistant Referee had his flag raised signalling that an offside infringement had occurred. I also noticed that a Dundee United player required medical treatment.

“Having made sure that the player received the required treatment, I then went across to the Assistant Referee and confirmed that he was signalling for an offside infringement. He confirmed this was the case and informed me that a Dundee United player had been in an offside position and that he had played the ball prior to it entering the goal.

“I informed the Assistant Referee that it appeared to me that the ball was deflected off a Rangers player. The Assistant Referee told me that he had not seen it touch a Rangers player but had definitely seen it played by the Dundee United player, David Robertson. Given that David Robertson was behind the Rangers player, my view was such that I could not tell if the ball had been played by Mr Robertson last before entering the goal. Consequently, I decided to accept the advice of my Assistant Referee.

“Again, having had the opportunity to review the incident on television, it is clear to me that the ball is not played by the Dundee United player Robertson who was, however, technically in an offside position and was in close proximity to the ball.

“I can understand the difficulty faced by my assistant referee in this incident and why, David Robertson may have been considered offside.

“Again, with the benefit of seeing the incident again numerous times on television, I consider it would have been more appropriate to conclude that the player, David Robertson, was not involved in active play and would have allowed the goal to stand.”

As i said before, we have been hearing all through this season that referees are only human, and while most of us can plainly see that the refereeing in scotland is well below the required standard...that there is no such thing as corruption in the game.

That all seems to have changed now eh?
    Wonder why?

If there is all this corruption in the game, how come nakamura got away with his dive? In fact how come the diving wee so and so only picked up his first booking yesterday?

If there is so much corruption in the game why have we been hearing all season that referees are "only human"?

The only people i feel sorry for in this situation are Dundee Utd.
    But even then i have lost much of that because of Levein and Thompson's respective rants after the game.
    (If either Smith or Strachan had came out with this crap their would be major trouble)

We didnt hear Levein complain about corruption when decisions that went celtics way against both Aberdeen and Motherwell helped his team out did we? I wonder why eh?

No one can deny that McCurry had a disaster at the weekend in terms of the penalty.
    But as was pointed out many times after the last old firm game, it was his Assistant that disalowed the goal, not him.

Its wierd, i almost feel a sense of satisfaction coming from Celtic fans at the moment, as they now know that no matter what way the league goes this year....only one game will be remembered by them.
    Funny thing is....they werent even involved!

Ziggy FFS man..... Jorge Cadette.... Ha ha ha ha ha.........

You have just put a tin lid on the full 'discussion'. I am going to be controversial here - you lot really need to get rid of the chip on your shoulders! Mind you thats part of being a Sellick supporter...

It's pur no fair aw this..... Everywan's against the Sellick....

If everyone was against Celtic surely Rangers wouldn't have been made to play 5 games in 11 days. Aw naw thats 'sporting integrity' after all.

I know nothing of the Bobby Tait situation TBH, and as for Jim Farry...we all knew he was an arse, and its never been proved wether he just made a bumbling mistake to top off all the ones he had already made, or wether he actually did what Celtic say he did.

In all honesty Ziggy, i would rather live in the present...we can all look back and find reasons to feel hard done by.

Ziggy put your shovel down mate. :D

I could throw into the fire about Willie Woodburn getting sine die and how Celtic's massive shadow loomed over that...... but that would just be being petty.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The old Firm fans on these boards are getting worse than the Liverpool/Utd fans :(

and yous all used to be about the peace and the love, Eirebhoy and O'Donnell posting less has had a bad effect imo.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The old Firm fans on these boards are getting worse than the Liverpool/Utd fans :(

and yous all used to be about the peace and the love, Eirebhoy and O'Donnell posting less has had a bad effect imo.

I dunno Mr Alan, i still reckon i can have a sensible level headed discussion with most Celtic supporters on this board.
    There are certain people who get my back up, thats fairly obvious to everyone, but it doesnt mean i have any less respect for the majority of Celtic fans on here.

Your also forgetting that we are at the boiling point of what has been an extremely tense and nervous season for both clubs, both domestically and in europe...its only natural that the discussion will get a little more meaty from time to time.

Also, looking through the last few pages, i dont really think there is much in here that constitutes being "worse than the liverpool/man utd fans"

• Advertisement
Advertisement