Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

C'mon everyone... gather round... time for an Old Firm group hug. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭FRM

Eirebear wrote: »
    I dunno Mr Alan, i still reckon i can have a sensible level headed discussion with most Celtic supporters on this board.
    There are certain people who get my back up, thats fairly obvious to everyone, but it doesnt mean i have any less respect for the majority of Celtic fans on here.

Your also forgetting that we are at the boiling point of what has been an extremely tense and nervous season for both clubs, both domestically and in europe...its only natural that the discussion will get a little more meaty from time to time.

Also, looking through the last few pages, i dont really think there is much in here that constitutes being "worse than the liverpool/man utd fans"

EB not trying to rub some peoples noses in it but there is only one team left in Europe lol.... sorry couldn't resist that slight dig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

FRM wrote: »
    EB not trying to rub some peoples noses in it but there is only one team left in Europe lol.... sorry couldn't resist that slight dig!

Thats exactly why its been a tense, nervous season for them! ;):D

Ziggy seriously you need to get rid of that chip on your shoulder and you need to start reading what OTHER people are posting. How long did it take you to trawl through the archives for that? :D:D

I can't even be arsed pointing out your downfalls its that bad. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm too busy as I'm packing for Manchester....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PauloMN wrote: »
    C'mon everyone... gather round... time for an Old Firm group hug. :eek:

thats the **** i'm talking about! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

What is this, hug a hun day or something?

Down with that sort of thing. :p

Eirebear and FRM, do you think Rangers will do it against ZSP?

I slightly fancy the Russians to spoil your party, but i wouldnt rule out another 0-0, and penalties which will be a lottery.

• Advertisement

What is this, hug a hun day or something?

Down with that sort of thing. :p

Eirebear and FRM, do you think Rangers will do it against ZSP?

I slightly fancy the Russians to spoil your party, but i wouldnt rule out another 0-0, and penalties which will be a lottery.

The Russians are hot favourites, but so have every other team we have played to get there...so you just never know!

I dont fancy the idea of penalties to be honest, we have won 3 times on penalties this season...the law of averages says we cant keep that up.

It will be like a home match for Rangers down there, and the atmosphere will be electric (im pretty sure a certain member on here will spend his time listening to the crowd and jotting down times ;)) so im not willing to concede this one just yet.

Not going down myself, but theres a big crowd of my family and friends coming to watch it on the big screen at Ibrox....its gonna be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, the Uefa Cup final beckons for Rangers tomorrow evening. I think most Celtic supporters congratulate Rangers for getting this far, although few will be rooting for them in the final even if it would help Scottish football overall - the reason being that a loss for Rangers would help Celtic's tilt at the league challenge, which is still in the balance. If the league had already finished, Celtic supporters could afford to be more benevolent, well some of them anyway. ;-)

The league is finely balanced with Celtic 4 pts ahead and with Rangers having 2 games in hand. Two away games. The remaining fixtures are:

Motherwell v Rangers, 12:30
    St Mirren v Rangers, 19:45

Thursday, 22 May
    Aberdeen v Rangers, 19:45
    Dundee Utd v Celtic, 19:45

This will go to the wire.

As for the Refs, over the years they've always favoured the two Old Firm clubs imo, more or less in equal amounts but clearly ahead of the other smaller clubs. Its the same in most leagues, with decisions going for the large clubs with their big support, etc.

By the way, they should get paid a lot more too. I was reading recently that back in the 1950's the Ref's got 4 times the salary that players got. We have gone a long way from that situation currently.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

redspider wrote: »
    So, the Uefa Cup final beckons for Rangers tomorrow evening. I think most Celtic supporters congratulate Rangers for getting this far, although few will be rooting for them in the final even if it would help Scottish football overall - the reason being that a loss for Rangers would help Celtic's tilt at the league challenge, which is still in the balance. If the league had already finished, Celtic supporters could afford to be more benevolent, well some of them anyway. ;-)

The league is finely balanced with Celtic 4 pts ahead and with Rangers having 2 games in hand. Two away games. The remaining fixtures are:

Motherwell v Rangers, 12:30
    St Mirren v Rangers, 19:45

Thursday, 22 May
    Aberdeen v Rangers, 19:45
    Dundee Utd v Celtic, 19:45

This will go to the wire.

As for the Refs, over the years they've always favoured the two Old Firm clubs imo, more or less in equal amounts but clearly ahead of the other smaller clubs. Its the same in most leagues, with decisions going for the large clubs with their big support, etc.

By the way, they should get paid a lot more too. I was reading recently that back in the 1950's the Ref's got 4 times the salary that players got. We have gone a long way from that situation currently.

Redspider

The best scenario for Celtic would be for the UEFA Cup final to go to extra time & penalties - that way the rangers players would be even more knackered for the remaining SPL fixtures.

In fact, here's a question for Celtic fans. Which is a bigger factor for you - Celtic winning or Rangers losing? Which of the two scenarios would you prefer?

a) Rangers win the UEFA Cup and Scottish Cup but both go to extra time. As a result you know their exhaustion will make it much harder for them to overtake Celtic for the SPL title.

b) Rangers to get stuffed by Zenit St Petersburg (say 5-0) and also to lose humiliatingly to QOTS on the Scottish Cup final, but both within 90 minutes. this leaves them fresher for their remaining SPL games.

Would you rather have a or b? :D

PDN wrote: »

b) Rangers to get stuffed by Zenit St Petersburg (say 5-0) and also to lose humiliatingly to QOTS on the Scottish Cup final, but both within 90 minutes. this leaves them fresher for their remaining SPL games.

Would you rather have a or b? :D
    The scottish cup final is played after the SPL so that doesnt factor in.

The scottish cup final is played after the SPL so that doesnt factor in.

I was dreaming that the SPL had done the right thing & rearranged the final few games to extend the season. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If there is all this corruption in the game, how come nakamura got away with his dive? In fact how come the diving wee so and so only picked up his first booking yesterday?
    I bet you could find an incident of Barry Ferguson falling down easily tonight if you wanted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Rangers European dream is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

R.I.P. Tommy Burns. A true Celtic legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So Rangers lose to St Petersburg. I dont think anyone can deny that the better team won, but Rangers once again showed some remarkable resilience and created a few scoring chances as well, and perhaps should have scored near the end when they were 1-0 down. I think they need to be commended for getting as far as they did, even though the dream result did not come off.

The effect the result will have on the the league now should if anything be a slight boost for Celtic. The Rangers players wont get any joy or energy from their loss, although it will remain to be seen if that will affect their next couple of league games detrimentally. Although one draw is surely possible out of 3 matches.

As for the 'riots', well, I think the Manchester authorities and organisers are partially culpable. Yes, it is true that in normal circumstances many thousands of people can be allowed to drink in the sunshine all day and nothing comes of it, but repeatedly football fan 'types' let occasions and match tensions get the better of them and such an environment is a 'tender box'. The authorities probably should have closed down the city centre and all drinking establishments for miles around and banned drinking/drink, etc. In hindsight, the lax approach did not work out.

Also, Tommy Burns has passed away at an early age. Whilst not a brilliant player perhaps, he was a steady servant of the club and amassed 352 appearances in 14 seasons at the club, scoring 52 goals, and then was the manager for 3 seasons and was once again more recently involved in the set-up.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well Rangers didnt won Uefa cup,but to be honest they didnt deserve it either,now its the question how that will affect on their league games they have to play,its going to be hard for them,a lot of games played and still few to play,team is tired and a bit lower motivated after this loss now,i think end of the season could be still very interesting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I think Motherwell will be the key game. I can't see St. Mirren doing anything against them, and I think Rangers will overcome Aberdeen if they win their previous two games, knowing a win would win them the league. Anything other than a win at Motherwell and the ball is back in our court.

I'm not relishing our last game I must admit. :( Let's just hope Motherwell can pull something out of the bag on Saturday.

By the way I don't buy the less motivated bit - I think if anything, losing on Wednesday will fire them up for the remaining games. Tiredness, maybe... less motivated? Nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

I think Aberdeen will be the key game to be honest. There is no love lost between the dons and the gers, especially away up in the granite city they love 'welcoming' the gers to town.

Rangers are most likely to drop pts in this game, motherwell cannot be caught for their 4th spot and europe next year so may not pose much threat.

I expect, and hope, rangers to get 7 from a possible 9 in the run in. If that happens and we win our last its goal difference and with us on +7 at the moment.

All said, Celtic are in the driving seat as it is right now.

Half time: Motherwell 0 Rangers 1

Setanta isn't working in our house so I'm throwing beer bottles at the TV.

1-1, Yes C'mon Motherwell. 30 mins keep it tight

Well done,i kinda lost hope after 0-1 but this is good,make it stay till the end

1-1 Result....Great 2nd half display Motherwell that swings it back our way :D

Celtic have it in their own hands now.

FT Motherwell 1 - 1 Rangers

haha fantastic,if Celtic win against Dundee he is going to be champion:D:D:D:D
    What a comeback of Celtic and they were off few rounds ago:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

:):):)

• Advertisement

Motherwell were a much better team in the 2nd half. Mcghee must've given the hair dryer treatment to his troops at half time. It did the trick anyway whatever it was. Smith must be livid at the goal conceeded. It looked very amateurish, casual defending really. Defence is Rangers strength usually, but that lapse has cost them dear.

This is the result all Celts were looking for. If we beat Dundee Utd we will win the league now. Its great to finally have it in our own hands after months of playing 2nd fiddle.

A shoddy second half display from Rangers there. Looks like the league flag is heading for the east end for another season. :(:(

Although a 5 or 6 nil win against St Mirren isnt entirely impossible.......is it?:(

ziggy wrote: »

Well there certainly aint much chance of Craig Levien's side putting up a fight against you lot on thursday...

Well there certainly aint much chance of Craig Levien's side putting up a fight against you lot on thursday...

All depends on the quality of the refereeing. I haven't checked who it is, but if the referee is like you lot got last week against Utd, we'll be laughing. Somehow I don't think that'll happen though.

Great result today, the pendulum swings back again. What a league to win if we could, after only a few weeks ago being written off. I just hope we don't bottle it like on Black Sunday, I couldn't face that again. :( Neither could my remote control which hit numerous walls before ending up on the floor.

It's all in our hands now. The goal difference could be a life saver. I expect Rangers to hump St. Mirren now on Monday, so the difference will be a lot tighter. We just have to go out with the intention of winning against Utd. and hopefully by a decent margin.

C'mon the bhoys!

It is pretty funny alright, there's a longer commentary from the same guy on the same match, when Naka scores it's funny as f**k.

Found it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRn9YlMykPE

Still makes me laugh.... "f**k me gently, get in there..." etc.. :D

• Advertisement

Imagine how he'd go down if people have a problem with Scott Booth.... :eek:

Imagine how he'd go down if people have a problem with Scott Booth.... :eek:
    Cant see much of a difference really...........;)

Cant see much of a difference really...........;)

Well, except for the obvious of course, no? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I know the guy that does that commentary. He's a member on a Celtic website that I'm an admin on. I dunno if I'm allowed to post links and info to another forum though, am I?

• Advertisement

LOL!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

:D

LMAO

That's class.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I know the guy that does that commentary. He's a member on a Celtic website that I'm an admin on. I dunno if I'm allowed to post links and info to another forum though, am I?

KDS?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ha, funniest thing i've seen all week. Oh wait second funniest, i nearly forgot about Rangers defending for Porters goal. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

KDS?

What does KDS mean?

• Advertisement
Advertisement