Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Great game yesterday(Porto 0-1 Celtic). Great to see Celtic win away in Europe(esecially against Porto)
    Both teams really up for game. Brown was like a possessed man out there. Never seen someone put so much in for a 'friendly'.
    Goal was something special.
    Best Celtic goal I've seen in a long time.
    Build up, Great. Cross, Great. header, Great!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5NQWl0fH5E
    Browns reaction for the goal was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

jimmyboy wrote: »
    Great game yesterday(Porto 0-1 Celtic). Great to see Celtic win away in Europe(esecially against Porto)
    Both teams really up for game. Brown was like a possessed man out there. Never seen someone put so much in for a 'friendly'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5NQWl0fH5E&feature=related

SO it was good then?! ;)

Very good goal mind you, showed a creative spark that we sorely miss....its gonna be a long season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

jimmyboy wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5NQWl0fH5E
    Browns reaction for the goal was great

Great goal! Its exactly how the team should be playing un Strachan, fast short passing, he's said it from day one that that is what he wants, fingers crossed they can keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I can't believe that's Celtic scoring that goal. Where did that movement and quick thinking come from? And it's not as if Porto sat back and let them pass, Celtic were forced into playing quick passes.

Who's the player that ran back to get Balde's pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Jaysus, I guess the rumour about Celtic training with Barcelona behind closed doors this summer may actually have been true... ;)

Beautiful goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

anyone know how that lad celtic got from derry has been gettin on in these pre season friendlies?

He's been injured since he joined.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Who's the player that ran back to get Balde's pass?

Was wondering exactly the same thing. It's not very clear on the clips I've seen, but it looks like Caldwell. :eek:

Peach of a goal though. Lovely run of passes, great cross in from Hartley and perfectly timed header by big Jan.

And people wanted him sold this summer? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Not a good start for Rangers. If they don't make out of the CL 2nd qualifying round, they won't even get into the UEFA Cup. The accountants won't like it...............

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Not a good start for Rangers. If they don't make out of the CL 2nd qualifying round, they won't even get into the UEFA Cup. The accountants won't like it...............

Ah they'll get through. 0-0 draws are their bread and butter. Get your money on 1-1 away to take them through.

Kenny Miller got a warm Ibrox welcome by the sounds of it. ;)

• Advertisement

****ing joke tonight.

We lack any guile and creativity about our team at all.
    The longest season in history starts here. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Rangers have it all to do against Kaunus in the second leg, part of me wants them to fail and have no europeran football thus giving Celtic all the champ league money but then again they would be fresh every weekend with no midweek games, we coped fairly well last season playing after a european game, it will be a big factor in the league campaign which team stays in europe after xmas etc.. With Qos in the Uefa cup Scotlands co-effiecent will suffer next season i think so the more teams in europe for longer the better.

Badabing wrote: »
    Rangers have it all to do against Kaunus in the second leg, part of me wants them to fail and have no europeran football thus giving Celtic all the champ league money but then again they would be fresh every weekend with no midweek games, we coped fairly well last season playing after a european game, it will be a big factor in the league campaign which team stays in europe after xmas etc.. With Qos in the Uefa cup Scotlands co-effiecent will suffer next season i think so the more teams in europe for longer the better.

Woah. Kaunas beat Rangers 2-1 on the night. Didn't see that one coming. :eek:

Celtic's transfer cheque book has just got a whole lot bigger. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

PauloMN wrote: »
    Woah. Kaunas beat Rangers 2-1 on the night. Didn't see that one coming. :eek:

Celtic's transfer cheque book has just got a whole lot bigger. :D

Caught the second half, tbh based on what I saw the better team on the night won

f_Untitled1m_c9dfc43.jpg

Outplayed, Outfought, Out.

Simple as that really.

We will now wave goodbye to Carlos Cuellar in order to make up for the loss of revenue.

May as well hand the title to Celtic now in all honesty, we will be lucky to finish third going on that performance.

Disgraceful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Goodbye negative football :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Ok i was wrong this time...

I suposed its gonna be 0-0 and Rangers to go through after penalties,usual scene,but this time we were all wrong it seems...

Ok i was wrong this time...

I suposed its gonna be 0-0 and Rangers to go through after penalties,usual scene,but this time we were all wrong it seems...

Join the club mate. I predicted the usual 1-1 draw away to take them through on aggregrate - it looked like that until the last 5 minutes. As soon as Dailly gave away that corner though, I just knew it was curtains for Rangers. He was dreadful.
    Eirebear wrote:
    Outplayed, Outfought, Out.

Simple as that really.

Eirebear, all joking aside, I know how you feel. Artmedia was not that long ago. :(

PauloMN wrote: »
    .Eirebear, all joking aside, I know how you feel. Artmedia was not that long ago. :(

One major difference for me between those two games.

You went into the second leg 5-0 down, and showed some real determination and fight and were actually unlucky to go out.

Rangers showed nothing over the two legs, in any of those departments.

Our team is a complete mess right now, Lee McCulloch and Christian Dailly as a central midfield partnership FFS? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Didnt see the game but from what I heard Kenny Miller was absolutely muck, why did he leave Darcheville on the bench for the whole game?

allybhoy wrote: »
    Didnt see the game but from what I heard Kenny Miller was absolutely muck, why did he leave Darcheville on the bench for the whole game?

For the same reason he left 4million pound man Lafferty on the bench, Top goalscorer Boyd on the bench, Andy Webster was seemingly worth a 3 year contract...shove him on the bench too!

Walters gone senile and Ally doesnt have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Did ye hear Gers new shirt sponsor, Easyjet, out of Europe in 3 hours...

Ugh god i know that was bad lol:rolleyes:

MOG7 wrote: »
    Did ye hear Gers new shirt sponsor, Easyjet, out of Europe in 3 hours...

Ugh god i know that was bad lol:rolleyes:

lol, if i could be arsed i could link you to that joke in about 5 different forms....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Best of luck to him Ziggy, I wont see the game tonight but i'll keep an eye out for him.

Especially considering its another Tim for us to face! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Is David Elebert still playing for Hamilton?

SantryRed wrote: »

Acording to Wikipedia, yes.

The Accies site is down at the minute so i cant confirm it.

ziggy wrote: »
    Ah nice one. He better make the most of chances he gets. :)

Looking forward to seeing Jamie McCarthy tonight. Roy O'Donovan should get a game too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Ah nice one. He better make the most of chances he gets. :)

Looking forward to seeing Jamie McCarthy tonight. Roy O'Donovan should get a game too.

Don't forget Sean Dillon:D

Ex-Shels man.

SantryRed wrote: »

He is, he's on the bench tonight.

Hamilton have started well. Their fans could teach the Parkhead faithful a thing or two about singing as well! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nice handball goal!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Roy O'Donovan hasnt got much of a sniff tonight.

Cuellar off to Aston Villa according to setanta! They agreed a fee.

• Advertisement

Cuellar off to Aston Villa according to setanta! They agreed a fee.

Wow, that was quick. Great news though, he's their best player.

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Anybody watch the Hamilton Dundee Utd game tonight? How did James McCarthy play? Is he still being hyped as a class act? Have never seen him play myself. Will be interesting to see how he gets on against The Old Firm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

so how good do you lads rate cuellar by prem standards having watched him all last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think McGregor could do a walk soon enough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Cuellar is a solid CB, no frills CB. Nothing special but had a good season for Rangers. I think he'll do alright but Villa fans will be wondering about the price tag.

• Advertisement

so how good do you lads rate cuellar by prem standards having watched him all last year

Whats prem standards mean?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

i dont know but thought id add it in as Petrov didnt exactley work out like we had expected or like he did for Celtic.

I'd rate him a bit higher to be honest, he's the only Rangers first teamer I'd have in the Celtic squad. He was largely responsible for Rangers being so hard to break down in the UEFA Cup IMO, and was consistent in both Europe and in the league.

Not suprised he's gone south, a bit suprised at how quickly he went but I suppose no European football makes the SPL look a lot less attractive.

Whats prem standards mean?

It means the bestest ever best league in the world of bestness. ;)

Pighead wrote: »
    Anybody watch the Hamilton Dundee Utd game tonight? How did James McCarthy play? Is he still being hyped as a class act? Have never seen him play myself. Will be interesting to see how he gets on against The Old Firm.
    Got battered tbh. I'm not exaggerating when I say he was as closely watched as McGeady regularly is in the SPL. 2 players were booked for tackles on him and another player should definitely have been booked too for taking him out as he was running forward. Hamilton's first goal was from a freekick McCarthy won.

He didn't really see too much of the ball but the same goes for McArtur and Neil alongside him. He was the key to Hamilton's 3rd goal though. He had the ball and Utd had a player on his back pressurising him with another keeping an eye on him. Mensing was left in space because of that and McCarthy did really well to find him with a pass. That opened things up and the goal was scored after a couple more passes.

It was off the ball where he really impressed. He must have stopped about 10 Dundee Utd attacks through tackles, interceptions or just basic pressure. I can't remember him ever having to run at full pelt to track back and he was always in the right position at the right time. He knew exactly what shape the team needed to keep. If he was chasing a player back he'd stop at a certain point and signal for someone else to track him. He seems to have an excellent ability to read the game for someone so young.

Craig Levein watched 6 of Hamilton's pre-season games and clearly had McCarthy marked down as the man they need to watch.

wheresdodgyxk1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Plenty rumours there linking Riordan with the Hibees as well as the Dark side of Edinburgh.

Thought it best to resurrect this thread, seeing as the other one is going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nice to see highly-rated Irish youth international James McCarthy inspriing Hamilton Accies to victory over Aberdeen today at Pittodrie, their first victory there in 77 years.
    James McCarthy was the hero for Hamilton Accies as they came from a goal down to beat Aberdeen.

Accies' attempts to get back on level terms were thwarted by a mixture of slack passing and solid Aberdeen defending.

Hamilton boss Billy Reid decided to make a change just after the half-hour mark, bringing on James McCarthy for Tony Stevenson.

And the highly-rated teenager soon had a hand in the equaliser, as the Dons were made to pay for not capitalising on their dominance.

Richard Foster failed to clear McCarthy's cross, and Accies winger David Graham cracked a sweet volley past Jamie Langfield into the top corner of the net from the edge of the box.

The goal gave Hamilton a much-needed lift and they started to retain the ball better.

However, the Dons could have re-taken the lead just before the break, had someone been on hand to finish Sone Aluko's ball across goal.

Yet, the game was turned on its head fifteen minutes into the second period.

The Dons defence allowed a high ball to bounce without clearing, and McCarthy muscled Andrew Considine off the ball to steer it past Langfield.
    Hamilton Accies manager Billy Reid

"The first 10 minutes of the game we never started and I thought 'here we go'.

"But we brought James McCarthy on and I thought the game changed on that substitution.

"He will mature into a fantastic football player, he is doing that already. People forget he is still 17."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/7611539.stm

It's still early days in the lad's career but he seems to be progressing well in the SPL.

The McCarthy-Garvan partnership that we could have at U21 level next year has to be one of the best in Europe. They played together against Portugal on Wednesday with Garvan getting both goals in a 2-2 draw. Maybe 1 or both of them will make the senior squad before the next U21 campaign though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

From here.

Can't say this is a major surprise. The Financial Reality of their situation was bound to come home to roost at some stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement