Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scottish PL discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Riordan is a great player, but his signing is one of the many the old Firm have made from the (admittedly!) smaller clubs that end up on the bench never to be seen playing in Scotland again. One of the many reason that the Old Firm are detested by fans of other Scottish teams.

He was banging in 20 a season at Hibs - it's the same teams more or less that he would be playing against week in week out if he were getting the game at Celtic. He's got a pretty good scoring record for appearances as it is at Celtic, quite likely better than Millers' (Riordan has scored 6, Miller 8).

IMO, he should replace Miller, who I honestly think is ****e. How many chances does he get himself into where it would be easier to score than miss, and yet he misses?. This is the same for both Club and Country as well.

A bit of a quandry for the Scottish cup though - as a Hibee I would prefer to be facing st Johnstone (should we beat Dunfermline this weekend, as opposed to last weeks train wreck) than Celtic, but if Celtic do reach the final then the other finalist has UEFA cup football to look forward to.

It's been a long long time since Hibs won the Scottish cup, so I'd quite happily settle for it and UEFA cup football next year as well!.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Blackjack wrote:
    Riordan is a great player, but his signing is one of the many the old Firm have made from the (admittedly!) smaller clubs that end up on the bench never to be seen playing in Scotland again. One of the many reason that the Old Firm are detested by fans of other Scottish teams.

Always makes me laugh that. Hibs, Hearts, whoever would all do the same thing if they could. It happens to Celtic as well you know, the Premiership pays a lot more than Celtic ever could, and seems more attractive to some also.

In any case, I agree that Riordan should be played up front, and hopefully he'll feature in all remaining games as the season comes to a close. If he does, it's a real chance for him to prove his worth. I've no doubt he has the talent, hopefully we'll see some consistency. He's gunning to replace Miller if the comments he's alleged to have said are true, and I hope he does. Much as I like Miller, he has been given ample opportunity but just isn't good enough.

@ eirebhoy - I agree on Naka, he's definitely a class apart. I really worry he'll be nabbed though. It's just as well we have regular CL football to at least tempt some of these guys to stick around, as the SPL has been pretty poor the last couple of seasons with Hearts self-imploding, Rangers being... well... crap, and Hibs being completely inconsistent even if playing some great football. Hopefully next season will be better (don't we say that every year???). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think Naka's a player, like Larsson, that will keep his word. He has said he'll be staying next season and said in a recent interview that he'll be back from the Asia cup to play in the CL qualifiers. Unless there's an offer that Strachan can't refuse I can't see him going and Strachan rates him too highly to let him go cheaply. Seville wanted him last summer I think.

Celtic on Sky Sports 1 with no other matches on at that time so they better entertain the neutrals. :D

eirebhoy wrote:
    Riordan has played very few games for Celtic but when he does play the positions he gets in are fantastic. I honestly can't think of one time Naka has put in a through ball to Miller, which says it all.
    A quote from Vennegoor from today's press conference:
    "Derek [Riordan] understands where he has to run. He has the instinct of a striker."

You either have it or you don't and Riordan does. Looking forward to tomorrow just to see him Jan play together. The last time they did Riordan got 2 and Jan got 1, with 2 excellent through balls by Naka. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

PauloMN wrote:
    Always makes me laugh that. Hibs, Hearts, whoever would all do the same thing if they could. It happens to Celtic as well you know, the Premiership pays a lot more than Celtic ever could, and seems more attractive to some also.

I agree entirely, I'm not one of the ones that Detests the old firm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Celtic continue on their march to the league title, and what with Hibs drawing with Dunfermline, it looks that they have a very good chance of winning the Cup as well, given that the opposition is not likely to be sparkling. However, as its a cup final and all that, anything can happen.

I was surprised to hear that the Celtic fans were getting on the back of Strachan for subbing off Riordan and bringing on Miller. Riordan has certainly become appreciated for his efforts.

The double would be a good year for Celtc given their good run in the CL as well. Then it will be eyes down for the summer transfer window to see who can be brought in to maintain/keep that dominance going.

One thing. McGeady perhaps can take some heart from C.Ronaldo's continunig improvement in effectiveness. As a winger with tricks, etc, McGeady, whilst not the same, is young enough to be on a trend upwards in his capability.

I may have said this before but a central midfielder and a striker are the areas that I would bolster.

Redspider

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

redspider wrote:
    One thing. McGeady perhaps can take some heart from C.Ronaldo's continunig improvement in effectiveness. As a winger with tricks, etc, McGeady, whilst not the same, is young enough to be on a trend upwards in his capability.

As long as he doesn't start waxing his eyebrows like Ronaldo appears to have... :eek:

I thought McGeady was better last season than this, I hope he picks it up again for next season. Now doubt he can be a real threat - would be good to see just a bit more of it on a regular basis though.

Aside from the obvious ones like Naka and Boruc though, for me Naylor has been superb this season. Defenders can be easily overlooked, but there's hardly a blot on the performances of a player who has seemed to have played in almost every game. He's consistent, solid, doesn't seem to suffer with injuries, and a great reader of the game. Gets right up the wing and can put in some great crosses. Has to be bargain of this season's transfers. I for one am delighted he's been nominated for an award.

Roll on the weekend. Celtic really have to get over these last minute jitters and wrap it up this weekend, if only to give something back to the fans and to get the media off their backs. Of course, Rangers could wrap it up for us on Saturday... :D

PauloMN wrote:
    I thought McGeady was better last season than this
    Last season? Are ye mad? :D I couldn't believe how good McGeady was in the first couple of months of the season. The improvement in his game was massive. He was by far and away the best player in the league up until the injury against Cyprus.

Boruc was at a Legia Warsaw match yesterday.

http://jp85.pl/galeria/sez0607/170407/slides/17-04-2007%20161.jpg
    http://jp85.pl/galeria/sez0607/170407/slides/17-04-2007%20197.jpg
    http://jp85.pl/galeria/sez0607/170407/slides/17-04-2007%20218.jpg
    http://jp85.pl/galeria/sez0607/170407/slides/17-04-2007%20220.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

eirebhoy wrote:
    Last season? Are ye mad? :D I couldn't believe how good McGeady was in the first couple of months of the season. The improvement in his game was massive. He was by far and away the best player in the league up until the injury against Cyprus.

Boruc was at a Legia Warsaw match yesterday.

http://jp85.pl/galeria/sez0607/170407/slides/17-04-2007%20161.jpg
    http://jp85.pl/galeria/sez0607/170407/slides/17-04-2007%20197.jpg
    http://jp85.pl/galeria/sez0607/170407/slides/17-04-2007%20218.jpg
    http://jp85.pl/galeria/sez0607/170407/slides/17-04-2007%20220.jpg

What, no pics of him blessing himself? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

PauloMN wrote:
    Of course, Rangers could wrap it up for us on Saturday... :D

ooooh ho ho, steady on sir! hehe :)

I'd prefer if Rangers got at least a point. Give us at least one meaningful match before the end of May. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'd prefer if Rangers got at least a point. Give us at least one meaningful match before the end of May. :)

Don't worry, I'm sure their Edinburgh brethren will lie down for them on Sat and let them get all 3... :D;)

All joking aside, I'd be suprised if they don't hump Hearts given the way things are in Tynecastle at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

With Rangers winning, Celtic will need to win at Rugby Park tomorrow to get the title.

Good to see Dunfermline getting a win today. Maybe, Stephen Kenny can keep Dunfermline up!

Fingers crossed today bhoys. Hopefully in a few hours we'll be celebrating a title! :)

Yeah, Celtic are in a good position to clinch it today, but its only a matter of time. I hope that once they do win it that form doesnt go down in the remaining matches. That type of thing has a tendency to lead into the following season, etc.

We'll know more later today ....

Redspider

Kilmarnock 1-2 Celtic

Nakamura scores the free kick in the last minute. Just when it looked like it was going to be a draw.

CELTIC HAVE WON THE TITLE !!!!

Redspider

Eirebhoy..... who else could have sealed it..... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

CHAMPION-EEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Nakamuras free kick...Great way to win the league. Hail Hail the Celts are here!! :D:D:D

well.... congratu-feckin-lations... :) swines, thieves, thugs and beggers all of you!

Nah its a shame the season wasnt a bit closer, but like they say the team with the most points deserves to win it. As far as seasons go though, it was truly a crap one. they happen from time to time but that season was ultimately mince for a few of the teams with the only real success story being Aberdeens revival. Celtic won the league and thats fine but by their standards - it was lousy. I dont know a celtic fan who has been impressed or happy with his team this year - and like those of us on the blue side... youll be wanting some decent signings this summer because i suspect next season will be a winner.

As for hearts lying down to rangers? pffft... would never happen mate. I know youre kidding on, but see hearts? Theyre right up there with aberdeen in the list of gers fans least favourite teams. Romanov doesnt help matters with his blatant messing with the scottish game.

Anyway - look forward to next season, im predicting a celtic double, and rangers to take the league. I doubt either will make the last 16 again this season coming....and normal service shall resume!

cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think Celtic will be happy that they are starting to make progress in Europe and also win the league and have a potential cup win.

Now Rangers and Celtic need to push on with their european form, and also for the good of the league hope a few other teams start putting them under more pressure (which will only improve how they do in Europe, being tested week in and out).

I agree, both teams will undoubtedly be thinking of improving on their european runs (both teams made the last 16 for the first time in the last two seasons), but I think the main focus for both teams will be the league - first and foremost. Rangers wont allow another season like this one, and celtic know this, and thats why this summers transfer window will be pretty exciting i reckon. Walter Smith has, in the past, made some unbelievable signings but now he has to do it with no cash, or a fraction of what he used to have. Gordon Strachan (or chesney to us bluenoses) is likely to have some cash left over from the run in the c-league. Rangers reported somewhere in the region of £20m gained from getting to the last 16 - but we never saw much of that go on players due to a whopping £80m debt problem. Celtic on the other hand, really SHOULD give GS the funds he needs, and i think he knows he needs a few decent signings. Celtic fans will be able to say fairer than I can, but from what meagre footie from home ive seen this season - he desperately needs a midfield dynamo to replace Lennon, and he needs to replace Larsson which will be a big ask. He will know fine and well that WS will be out to reinforce the squad from this season (as dire as it is, the small fact wont be lost on strachan that rangers have actually scored 4pts MORE than celtic since WS came back to Rangers - league winning form but only for a third of the season). So, Strachan knows he has to reinforce as he knows that even with a small squad, Walter Smith CAN beat him, and will only be out to add quality and depth to this mince Rangers team.

As for the rest of the league - unfortunately any revivals of teams in the rest of the league are generally short lived. They just dont have the cash to sustain any run they have had in recent seasons. Last year it was hearts, this year its aberdeen... and unlike the premiership where even the bottom half teams receive a good few million in tv money, and a decent bit of prize money just for competing (added to gate receipts for their away games to man utd, chelsea, liverpool, newcastle, everton, tottenham, arsenal, ETC! - the scottish teams only receive about £1m / year tv money and tiny gate receipts.... so they simply cannot sustain any decent form season to season. They invariably lose their decent players to decent teams in decent leagues and they go right back to square one (do not pass go - do not collect £200, go directly to jail).

Every year both old firm teams focus on doing well in Europe, and every year its the same old story apart from the last 2 years for some strange reason. But i wouldnt expect them to do it again next season...there has been a window of opportunity for celtic to breeze their way to the league and be relatively comfortable. That wont happen next season, and both teams will pay the price of the SPL Trophy, in european defeats.

I'm still recovering from the celebrations. Nakamura showed his emotions for once. :D Did he get booked for it? Can't remember.

SPFA Team of the season.

Artur Boruc (Celtic)

Steven Whittaker (Hibernian)
    Russell Anderson (Aberdeen)
    Stephen McManus (Celtic)
    Lee Naylor (Celtic)

Scott Brown (Hibernian)
    Barry Ferguson (Rangers)
    Shunsuke Nakamura (Celtic)
    Steven Naismith (Kilmarnock)

Kris Boyd (Rangers)
    Scott McDonald (Motherwell)

Player of the season: Nakamura
    Young player of the season: Naismith
    Goal of the season: Nakamura vs Dundee Utd

Naka confirmed he'll be at Celtic next season. And on his goal:
    "I saw the movement of the goalkeeper at that free kick. So this time I knew he would move to the near post, which is why I sent the shot to the far post."

The guy is so intelligient he can read the keeper. :D

odonnell wrote:
    As for hearts lying down to rangers? pffft... would never happen mate. I know youre kidding on, but see hearts? Theyre right up there with aberdeen in the list of gers fans least favourite teams. Romanov doesnt help matters with his blatant messing with the scottish game.

I really was just kidding... :D

As for yesterday, what a free-kick to win the league with. It couldn't have turned out better if it was a written script to be honest, and I'm delighted for Naka. Thoroughly deserving of his award based on some truly outstanding play this season in all competitions.

Kennedy was another positive yesterday - hard to believe he was out for 3 years the way he played. Superb performace from the lad and hopefully we'll see more of him in the years to come.

Transfers - it should be interesting. I think the last 16 of the CL yields closer to £10m rather than £20m, either way it's a huge injection for SPL teams. Lawell has hinted that there'll be funds available for WGS to aquire some new players - I'd say £7m to £8m all going well. But equally importantly he has to look at off-loading some of the higher earners who aren't pulling their weight. Balde is one I'm sure will be gone, I'd wonder about Gravesen and Jarosik as well though. I just can't get excited about either of them. Gravesen blows hot and cold - he made some very basic mistakes yesterday giving the ball away cheaply on a number of occasions - simply not good enough for one of the highest earners in the league.

As for Lenny - I don't know what's best there. He's obviously getting on, but he gets 100% for attitude as far as I'm concerned, and he seems to be a great asset behind the scenes, especially with the younger players. Is that enough to keep him for another season though, especially given that midfield often seems to be our weakness when we have dropped points? Hard one to call, but I suspect we'll see him again next season.

Hopefully we keep: Naka, Boruc, JVoH, Naylor, McGeady, O'Dea, McManus, Kennedy, Sno

Probably we should keep: Wilson, Caldwell, Zurawski

Defo we should shed: Balde

Possibly we should shed: Gravesen, Jarosik, Lenny, Miller, Beattie

Jury still out on: Pressley, Hartley, Riordan

Hopefully we'll sign: partner for JVoH up-front, attacking midfielder and a defensive midfielder

I love this quote.
    Shunsuke Nakamura believes Celtic team-mate Artur Boruc should have been voted SPFA Player of the Year.

Nakamura, 28, picked up the award on Sunday night, when he also beat off competition from Celtic defender Lee Naylor and Aberdeen skipper Russell Anderson.

It was a fitting end to a day when Celtic finally clinched the Bank of Scotland Premier League title thanks to Nakamura’s dramatic last-gasp free-kick at Kilmarnock.

However, the Japanese star insists goalkeeper Boruc should have picked up the gong in recognition of an impressive season between the sticks.

Nakamura said: “Artur has made some great saves throughout the year and he deserved to win the award.

“The players who go forward and score goals are always in the limelight but there aren’t many goalkeepers like him who can do what he does.”

Nakamura was hailed “a genius” by both manager Gordon Strachan and skipper Neil Lennon following Sunday’s title triumph.

But he added: “I don’t think I’m a genius – geniuses don’t make mistakes.

“Some people say I can’t tackle or head the ball but I try to contribute more to the team with my head in terms of thinking. However, I’m trying to improve those other aspects such as tackling and heading the ball.”

He was saying he was having a terrible game and that he had to score that freekick to make up for it. I'm looking forward to seeing him on Sunday. He'll be full of confidence and the match is in Celtic Park.

Gudjohnsen linked.
    According to El Mundo Deportivo, the Spanish sports paper, we're intererested in Gudjohnsen - although Man Utd are as well, apparently - he says he'll decide on his future at the end of the season.

His father and agent has just been interviewed on Icelandic radio. Didnt say much really but didnt rule out Celtic.

- Eidurs future depends on the future of Frank Rijkaard and how many strikers Barcelona will sign during the summer.
    - He will only consider CL teams.
    - Said although Man Utd and Celtic are the only one mentioned, there are other clubs who are interested.
    Asked if Celtic and Scotland would appeal to Eidur, he said: Celtic are bigger than Newcastle and Tottenham, which are teams I can confirm submitted an offer last summer.

Another factor could be that Eidurs wife is keen on moving to Iceland and Scotland is one of the nearest countries to Iceland than most so Eidur would have no probs dropping over for a visit.
    According to channel 2 in Iceland tonight. Their "reliable" source say Eidur Gudjohnsen's dad and agent has been allowed to talk to Celtic by Barcelona.

An absolute legend at Celtic, the most successful player in 20 years, but I'm delighted with this news. The perfect time to end his career and good to give the fans notice so he'll get a decent send off unlike the likes of Sutton, Hartson, Petrov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Great player always gave 100% a true celtic player, i think he was on 35 grand a week so that will really help strachan in the summer.

• Advertisement

well....whilst i find it annoyingly difficult to argue with you a lot of the time EB, i have to say - the most successful player in 20 years?!?!? As a gers fan i can think of a few players Celtic have had that would probably go down in the tics history as Legends, and i wouldnt put Lennon up there with them.

Granted hes been around for trophies but, you cant put him in the same company (in the metaphorical i mean) as people like Roy Aitken, Paul McStay, Henk Larsson to name 3. There were loads of greats at celtic over the past 20 years, true legends - and far better players than Lennon, it was just a shame that they wouldnt be remembered as such due to the Gers dominance.

Badabing wrote:
    Great player always gave 100% a true celtic player, i think he was on 35 grand a week so that will really help strachan in the summer.
    I'd say closer to £15k than £35k. He would have been on or around £30k when he joined. Strachan took over and Lennon's contract was up and he was expected to be released. He would have signed that contract on lesser terms. He signed another contract last summer which again would have been on lesser terms considering his age. £20k max anyway considering the wage structure in place under Strachan.
    odonnell wrote:
    well....whilst i find it annoyingly difficult to argue with you a lot of the time EB, i have to say - the most successful player in 20 years?!?!? As a gers fan i can think of a few players Celtic have had that would probably go down in the tics history as Legends, and i wouldnt put Lennon up there with them.

Granted hes been around for trophies but, you cant put him in the same company (in the metaphorical i mean) as people like Roy Aitken, Paul McStay, Henk Larsson to name 3. There were loads of greats at celtic over the past 20 years, true legends - and far better players than Lennon, it was just a shame that they wouldnt be remembered as such due to the Gers dominance.
    I should have explained but I was talking in terms of medals/trophies won.

"Five titles, three Scottish Cup winner's medals and two League Cup winner's badges will see Lennon leave as the most successful player in almost 20 years."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.1353632.0.0.php

btw - A guy with a well trusted source at Celtic reckons Strachan will have the biggest transfer kitty ever available to a Celtic manager (O'Neill spent a net £12m in his first season). I know for a fact this guy has a source as he broke the Gravesen and Riordan news before anyone. He said Strachan didn't spend his full budget last season (not even taking sales into account) and whether he'll spend the full budget this summer is anyone's guess. I've been saying for ages I expect a big budget this summer. ;)

I'm happy Lenny is going now, he'll be sorely missed but now is defo the right time for both the player and the club.

As I said on another forum, the fact that he played through all the sh1te he had to put up with from scumbags shows his dedication and commitment to the club. He might not be the most technically gifted player, but his consistency, dedication, solidity and his positive influence as captain are what make up - in my view - a Celtic great.

Best of luck to him, a Celt to the core! :D

Ah i hoped thats what you meant EB :) I still hate the guy!

Now time for some story telling, since its a nice thursday morning. I was listening to a radio show on the BBC which made me laugh yesterday - about a northerner who lived a large portion of his life over in Scotland. Unfortunately the old boy was in an accident of some kind and was in a coma for a year or so. Eventually he came out of it and was gradually regaining his memory piece by piece but say, he still cant remember what coffee is used for, nor what to do with shoe laces - things like that.

So hes down the pub not long ago and he was delighted to be back in the pub with all his footie mates watching Gers v Tic and Rangers scored. Everyone was jumping around as you do, and goin mad....and hes getting pangs of guilt.... he said he just couldnt see why Rangers beating celtic was a good thing, cos he felt sorry for them poor boys losing a goal!

So a few minutes later Rangers scored again..... same story. So a while later, and his face is tripping him, Celtic scored twice and he said he couldnt help but feel a bit better for the poor team that were getting hammered.... good on them and all that - now we are a bit happier.

It turned out....cos hed lost his memory - all his mates (who are glaswegian gers fans) had tried to turn him!! The poor old boys and celtic fan through and through, and even through losing his memory, hes still a celtic fan!!!! haha... i near fell off my chair listening to him tell the story. Cannae turn an old firm fan ;)

Second story - Barry Ferguson (the great bazza!) was treated to a surprise party not long ago for the launch of his book (BLUE), and at the hotel was a big screen which got pulled down and a life&times thing took place, all organised by his mrs. So hes standing there watching this programme and suddenly it cuts out half way through and the scene switches to his house... right in his front door, right into his living room - and theres this pair of feet up on his table, with some codger reading his book but you cant see his face.

So apparently barrys face is a sheet at this time... "thats ma hoose!" sort of thing...

The book drops, and we see Neil feckin Lennon laying back on bazzas sofa... puts the book down and says something like - its a lovely house youve got here barry....and uh...(puts down the book, picks up a cuppa) - your wife makes a great cuppa *WINK* .... screen goes blank.

:) Not a lot of folk like Neil Lennon because he has a way of stirring up both sides. He HAS used the religion card on many an ocassion and hes lost what respect a lot of Rangers fans had for him, but its wee stories like that which make you laugh at the guy. Sure - maybe he IS an alright guy... but to watch him on the park youd forgive people for getting wound up at him. And as for the scumbags - both teams players and captains suffer from that particular thorn.

Yeah I heard that 2nd story a while back. :)

btw, with Lennon leaving it only leaves Balde from the UEFA cup finalists of 2003:

Robert Douglas
    Johan Mjällby
    Joos Valgaeren
    Didier Agathe
    Paul Lambert
    Stilian Petrov
    Neil Lennon
    Alan Thompson
    Chris Sutton
    Henrik Larsson

subs:
    Magnus Hedman
    Ulrik Laursen
    Jackie McNamara
    Momo Sylla
    David Fernández
    Jamie Smith
    Shaun maloney

And Balde will probably leave in the summer too as there's too many centre halves of a similar standard and he's the highest paid by far.

odonnell wrote:
    And as for the scumbags - both teams players and captains suffer from that particular thorn.

Well starting a "your scumbags are worse than ours" debate was not my intention - it's pointless and against the spirit of this thread. I have my own views on it, I'm sure you have yours and UEFA have theirs.

I was specifically referring to the loyalist death threats that Lennon had to endure and the attacks on him in Scotland. Any player who plays on through that stuff deserves credit for it, regardless of what team he plays for or where he comes from.

• Advertisement

absolutely, it wasnt my intention to get into that whole thing either bud, far from it - im not here for arguments :)

I was half implying its a shocking thing to have to put up with it, and theres 22 players in or around glasgow who continually suffer broken windows, flat tyres, burgled homes, death threats, angry mobs... etc.

Lennons decision to quit the national team was a sad one for N.I. and it made me wonder who specifically these threats came from, (i just noticed you said loyalists) as the old firm players are somewhat used to that sort of thing going on you know? Thats what raised my eyebrow when that one happened. Obviously he took it seriously enough like...

sadly though, and not to berate him on a celtic thread or anything - he didnt do a lot to help his image with the other half (no not his wife i mean the opposition..same thing?). Being caught on camera saying orange barsteward, and barging into refs etc, gave people a reason to hate him. Same as when gazza (the complete and utter inbiscile that he was) marched up the touchline pretending to play the flute.

Unfortunately tis a goldfish bowl and these things get amplified to a sort of white-heat hysteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Anyone here able to help me out with this.

i reckon your best bet is to phone the dunfermline ticket office and see if theyve any allocation left. I dont know if Celtic would have sold out their allocation yet, but theres always a chance they havent - id phone them too if i were you.

Its Rangers v Celtic this weekend. What with the 1-3 drubbing at home to Hearts last week, in what should have been a swansong type of performance on the cup ceremony day, I think Rangers have a good chance of another old-firm scalp.

In my eyes, these remaining matches are the start of next season already and I think Celtic need to take this game tomorrow seriously, and more seriously than the stroll in the park that was the game v Hearts.

What do you guys think?

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

There is only one game where we need a result, the cup final.

A win against rangers would be good but far from essential. If the scottish media think that Rangers are catching us, let them, next season when we are fully refreshed and better players, we'll leave them for dead, again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I couldn't agree more, redspider!

It was a very disappointing performance against Hearts. League wrapped up, or not, people are still paying good money to fly over, stay in a hotel, and pay for tickets (well the Irish contingent have to anyway). If I was forking out a few hundred quid, I'd be pissed off to see any half-hearted effort, especially in an auld firm game. I can stomach us losing, like in the last old firm where we gave it everything, and were very unlucky. What I couldn't stomach would be a sub-standard effort.

The season is only over, after the last game. I think the bhoys are professional enough to get the lead out of their asses for the big game this weekend. If Celtic lose this one, psychologically it would be a major blow losing 2 on the trot to our biggest rivals. "The blue tide is turning" I can see the headlines read. The significance of this game shouldn't be underestimated! C'mon the bhoys, assert your superiority!!!

Whatever anyone says here, it must be impossible as a player to raise your game after a long season when the league is already wrapped up. I'm sure the players do not consciously under-perform in these matches and I reckon they give their all, but when you're not chasing anything, there's a chance that performances will be below-par.

As for fans travelling etc., that's the risk you take. Yeah it's a bummer when you go to all the hassle and expense only to see your side lose, but you have to take the rough with the smooth.

I'm over to the Aberdeen game next week - even when I booked it I knew I mightn't see the greatest game what with the league wrapped up, but so what? I'm going to see the team I support and I'd see them in any circumstances against any opposition at any time.

Let Rangers, the media etc. think what they want regardless of the result tomorrow. I really hope the bhoys win, but I won't be crying into my pint if they don't. The important thing is that we gain some goal-scorers over the summer, and I'm optimistic about the money that'll be available to do so based on the vibes that the Parkhead suits are giving off. Let's get our own house in order and leave Rangers et al to worry about theirs.

Actually, while there's been a number of mildly annoying performances from certain individuals this season, there's really only been a few absolute team-performance shockers in recent years. Artmedia away, Motherwell on "that" Sunday, and Clyde in the Cup last season are really the only ones I can think of. Those are games where they WERE chasing something, and lost out in each case because of really poor performances. That's when you should be pissed off.

It was a very disappointing performance against Hearts. I can stomach us losing, like in the last old firm where we gave it everything, and were very unlucky. What I couldn't stomach would be a sub-standard effort.

I think the bhoys are professional enough to get the lead out of their asses for the big game this weekend. If Celtic lose this one, psychologically it would be a major blow losing 2 on the trot to our biggest rivals.

Well, unfortunately my (our) fears have turned out to be true.

Its now Rangers 2 - Celtic 0, 66 mins gone.

> Whatever anyone says here, it must be impossible as a player to raise your game after a long season when the league is already wrapped up.

Perhaps, but if the Celtic players cant raise their game against Rangers, then that is a bad sign of their effort and psychology. For a long time now, the old firm games and the scalps between these two clubs are more important for many of their followers than the actual winning of the league itself. And trends for next season has already started .....

The game is mainly Rangers to boot .... Celtic had a few chances and should have scored (Naka in 6 yard box), but Rangers have also had other chances ....

redspider

Bring on the pre-season. I've had enough of this negativity and every Celtic fan wanting rid of Strachan. I'm 100% behind him and can't wait to see how we look next season with a £10-15m investment.

btw, that was arguably the worst performance this season but if it wasn't for the complete negativity it brings I'd happily take it. There's no point in giving us false hope. I have to hold my hands up with regards Gravesen now, he's technically superb but no football brain at all. Pressley isn't good enough. Jarosik has failed. Hartley has failed so far. Miller, Zurawski and Beattie have all failed this season.

The biggest change for next season is the replacement for Lennon who plays the most important role in the team. The club are looking at the likes of Appiah to replace him and you can't underestimate how much that type of player would improve the team imo.

Also, Vennegoor has not started more than 5 games up front with the same player all season. He hasn't started more than 2 games in a row up front with the same player. Last season you could name the 1st eleven, this season there's 16 or 17 players in with a chance of making the best team. There's no consistency and it's one thing Strachan would love.

I really believe this is a blip season in Strachan's reign and if that means a league win, relative European success and a Scottish cup final I'm happy.

eirebhoy wrote:
    btw, that was arguably the worst performance this season but if it wasn't for the complete negativity it brings I'd happily take it. There's no point in giving us false hope. I have to hold my hands up with regards Gravesen now, he's technically superb but no football brain at all. Pressley isn't good enough. Jarosik has failed. Hartley has failed so far. Miller, Zurawski and Beattie have all failed this season.

The biggest change for next season is the replacement for Lennon who plays the most important role in the team. The club are looking at the likes of Appiah to replace him and you can't underestimate how much that type of player would improve the team imo.

Also, Vennegoor has not started more than 5 games up front with the same player all season. He hasn't started more than 2 games in a row up front with the same player. Last season you could name the 1st eleven, this season there's 16 or 17 players in with a chance of making the best team. There's no consistency and it's one thing Strachan would love.

I really believe this is a blip season in Strachan's reign and if that means a league win, relative European success and a Scottish cup final I'm happy.

funny how i was just thinking it was rangers' BEST game of the season mate. Sure...only one team can play well in a game like that and id like to think Rangers have shown they CAN and WILL match Celtic next season now Smith and McCoist are at the helm. I know... i know, i know the rumblings about next season when youve gotten your £15m worth of players, however - the stats havent lied since smith came in, and i really believe it will be MUCH closer next season. Smith is reported to be getting a substantial amount of cash to spend too remember, and i believe this time he will as it looks like Murray is in for the long haul again. [david murray, rangers chairman and percentage shareholder - rumoured to be steadying the ship to sell)

Dont be making the mistake guys, all of you, of thinking Celtic will run away with it again next season, because they wont, and im not just being jovial and boistrous here - i really really believe it will be far far closer. Once youve won the league its easy to think it can only get better, but unfortunately - Rangers are a case in point. The only way can sometimes be down. But we all know from years gone by that this is swings and roundabouts - and if you believe in your history and can read the signs of the times....the pendulum is swinging back to Ibrox again and so it will continue to and fro for hopefully the next 100 years!

Heres to next season!

Cheers!

Aye Rangers were very impressive today and will no doubt pick up a lot more points next season. I think Celtic will be hugely improved next season though. Strachan has been successful this season with an average bunch of players so if he's succesful in the transfer window this summer we'll be a completely different proposition. I just can't wait for pre-season tbh. :) I'm not even looking forward to the cup final.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Aye Rangers were very impressive today and will no doubt pick up a lot more points next season. I think Celtic will be hugely improved next season though. Strachan has been successful this season with an average bunch of players so if he's succesful in the transfer window this summer we'll be a completely different proposition. I just can't wait for pre-season tbh. :) I'm not even looking forward to the cup final.

yup... i can agree with all that no problem bud... same noises coming from the gers camp you see.

Its great though isnt it, this is one of my favourite bits of the season, my favourite bit is generally pre-season and catching all the papers and all the news flying around the internet about signings and the likes.... its exciting.

See, an interesting thing is happening though and its whats going to make this preseason coming, a very telling one. I think a lot of folk probably didnt realise it - Strachan will be basically starting next season with HIS group of players more or less, and a team that will have him written all over it for the first time i think. Walter Smith will be in need of clearing out a LOT of players (once again) and theres the mood that he, for the first time in around 6 years for Rangers, will get cash to spend too... so what im tryingt o say is, with these two things combined - strachan needing to impress on the market, smith needing to basically do the same but with slightly less cash and with an inherited squad - it going to be a game of cat and mouse next season if all goes according to script during the summer....

thats what i look forward to with these two teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I just want this season over too

• Advertisement
Advertisement